Stephmylife (Stephanie Barry-woods)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She has spun a whole web of lies about Italy....

The smugness of her is off the charts lately.... she must be making a fortune from her courses.... I think its gone to her head...

Reactions: 7
Well well well - Steph has final bit the bullet and committed to a story of why the recently journey to Italy was essential.
I cant wait to take a look and see. I'll try to remain neutral and give her the benefit of the doubt until I hear it myself, but by the sounds of it - it ain't going down too well.

Reactions: 4
Ok so took some time and got caught up with Steph news about their trip to Italy.

Here's my thoughts on her reasoning.

So at the start as she starts to explain what and why - I was like Ok, still dont think you should of been travelling, but if they were looking to buy a house for somewhere to call home, and perhaps if time was ticking to get the deal done then you could call that essential.

Added to that I've heard of them type of schemes where they are trying to regenerate ageing villages - I started to think, Ok maybe, maybe there was some element of the trip that was necessary.

( Still not giving her that it was not a holiday of some sorts, they were doing too much sightseeing and 'instagramming' for it not still be called a holiday. They were there for 10 days or so).

At this point I'm kind of thinking - right you pushed the limits on this, but maybe just let it side.

But then - she drops the AIRBNB bomb !!!

There was me thinking , that this was them going to Italy - not to buy a house, but a buy a Home.
Some might say whats the difference? To me there is a big difference.

They are buying a property in Italy that they can use as a base to explore the country, and when they are off traveling around the world they'll rent it out. That's not a home that's an business investment. They are not planning on moving there, setting up home there.

To add insult to injury - they are not purchasing a property that they will renovate and invest in the local community regenerating a old building, they are purchasing a property that is ready to go.

This is a 'Holiday Home', and they are pricing out locals out of the housing market there by doing this. We have seen this in various other cities and tourist areas across europe.
THIS IS WHY LOCAL PEOPLE ARE LEAVING THOSE AREAS

I'd almost prefer if she just went there on holiday, its the less of these two evils.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Agreed. The last thing that this town needs is Airbnb’s. The whole idea is to regenerate the area and make it young and vibrant for the locals. Repopulate the area and give a sense of community, not endless tourists wandering in and out. Very disappointing.

Something I am curious about with these digital nomads including Stephanie... in which country does she pay her taxes I wonder??

Reactions: 4
I am super interested in where they pay taxes. I have no idea. I think a lot of the digital nomads just don't pay taxes at all. I get the feeling Siobh OH doesn't pay taxes, but obviously not sure. The ones not earning a lot of money definitely just don't bother paying taxes. If you are tax resident in Ireland you are taxable on your worldwide income. But if you live outside of Ireland for more than half the year then you don't have to be tax resident in Ireland. If you move from country to country all the time I guess you're not tax resident in ANY country. It depends on which country you're from, some countries make it harder to denounce your tax residency. For Irish people its simple. The UK is different to Ireland and has a statutory residence test that's more complicated. So Steph may be considered resident this year but I'm not really sure.

Steph mentioned before that they pay taxes. If that's actually true I'm sure they have an accountant that makes sure they pay as little tax as possible..

A lot of those digital nomads in Bali certainly are not paying taxes to Indonesia. Maybe to their home country but probably not. They are all there on tourist visas. Minimum wage in Bali is 180$ per month and Indonesia has one of the worst income inequality in the world. Lovely.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I am super interested in where they pay taxes. I have no idea. I think a lot of the digital nomads just don't pay taxes at all. I get the feeling Siobh OH doesn't pay taxes, but obviously not sure. The ones not earning a lot of money definitely just don't bother paying taxes. If you are tax resident in Ireland you are taxable on your worldwide income. But if you live outside of Ireland for more than half the year then you don't have to be tax resident in Ireland. If you move from country to country all the time I guess you're not tax resident in ANY country. It depends on which country you're from, some countries make it harder to denounce your tax residency. For Irish people its simple. The UK is different to Ireland and has a statutory residence test that's more complicated. So Steph may be considered resident this year but I'm not really sure.

Steph mentioned before that they pay taxes. If that's actually true I'm sure they have an accountant that makes sure they pay as little tax as possible..

A lot of those digital nomads in Bali certainly are not paying taxes to Indonesia. Maybe to their home country but probably not. They are all there on tourist visas. Minimum wage in Bali is 180$ per month and Indonesia has one of the worst income inequality in the world. Lovely.
Thanks so much for your informative and intelligent response.
In the UK I believe you can stay without paying taxes for just a couple of months...if you go over it then you have to pay taxes, so I wonder is that why they habe only decided to stay in UK for the planned 4 months....
Why I am not surprised that its likely that they don't pay taxes or very very little if at all.
Absolute crooks masked by their multiple filters and aesthetically-pleasing non-stop instagram content....

Reactions: 8
Something I am curious about with these digital nomads including Stephanie... in which country does she pay her taxes I wonder??
That's prob another reason why they will not be staying in Italy perm.
Digital nomads think they are doing these places a favour by going their for a few months of the year, eating in the restaurants, drinking in the bars.
Sure I'm I great - almost like these place are charity causes begging them to come and grace them with their presence.
That's great if your there for a few weeks, like a tourist, any longer and you should contribute like anyone else.

They want the benefits of these idyllic places, but don't really want to pay the real price.
The throw away culture, I'll go there because its cheap, then I'll move onto the next place.

Don't get me started on SOH - there is got to some serious creative accounting going on there.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think Steph’s account is cringeworthy. The couple photos actually make me want to vomit in my mouth a little bit. It’s so contrived and curated. My hubby would divorce me if I made him stage pictures like that, I think most men I know would be having absolutely none of that, except the ‘boyfriends of Insta’ contingent. Imagine all the takes they have to do...how is that having a great time living in the moment and seeing the world?! She’s punching well above her weight with Tim too in terms of looks.

Reactions: 12
She must be making a fortune from the courses if they’ve built up enough cash to buy the house without a mortgage. Will be a shock to her when she has to start paying tax when she becomes a resident.

Reactions: 2
She must be making a fortune from the courses if they’ve built up enough cash to buy the house without a mortgage. Will be a shock to her when she has to start paying tax when she becomes a resident.
Well she was googling "Cheapest places to live in Italy" - that plus if you don't pay any Income tax based on being a digital nomad ( :sick: ) then is it is possible.
Think we would be all considerably better off if we didn't pay income tax, had a very low cost of living like in many parts of Asia, and then charged UK/Ireland prices for training and tour guides.

• Wow
Seriously??!! .... if that's true its disgusting.
You hardly think she is registering to pay tax in each country she touches down in? If you were in her situation you probably wouldn't pay tax either. Unless you're a US citizen your country of residence isn't going to chase you to pay tax while you're abroad.

Reactions: 2
You hardly think she is registering to pay tax in each country she touches down in? If you were in her situation you probably wouldn't pay tax either. Unless you're a US citizen your country of residence isn't going to chase you to pay tax while you're abroad.
No I wouldn't ... I would be too paranoid and also I think its immoral. Authorities are really cracking down on freelancers who don't pay taxes in the last couple of years... If she is not paying tax, then she is doing something which is illegal, she is breaking the law and she should be reported.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.