Squid Game - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not read the posts in case of spoilers but am on episode 5 now. Desperate to binge on it dying (no pun) to get to the end of the series.

And phwoar X2 at Seong Gi-hun and Cho Sang-woo

Reactions: 1
Loved it overall but the twists were very weak and a few things didn't make sense.
  • [*]Someone already pointed out the food issue

[*]The Front Man twist was predictable and served no purpose. The cop's brother had been missing for days? The Front Man indicated he'd done Squid Games in the past, so obv. he would be gone for days if not weeks at a time, so why is it now an issue to be solved? Plus his flat back in the city looked like student digs - I got the impression the missing brother was younger. Didn't cop find brother's file in the private room and he was supposedly one of the contestants (#130 or so)? Did the briefly seen photo even look like him? It looked like a kid. I thought the guy that was trying to partner with Gi-hun for the marble challenge would turn out to be the brother.

[*]The old guy twist was really dumb, again served no purpose. Didn't make sense because it was after the marble challenge where he was eliminated that the VIPs arrived. Old guy told the Front Man to apologise to the VIPs that he won't see them because "it's more fun to play than watch" - but he was already out of the game by then?? If I'm missing something please let me know.
the front man storyline is the only one that has me confused. I’m waiting For a day off to binge watch again for any details I missed but just going off of one viewing, this is what I think:
Front man was shown to be a previous winner (I think his archived file said 2015) so where were his winnings? I have 2 explanations -
1) he refused The cash and chose to become front man as part of the winning package OR
2) (which is the most likely scenario in my head) he gambled all the winnings away and got recruited again to clear his debt (see note 1 below*) As he had already won he couldn’t be a contestant so had to be staff And having the status of winner put him in good stead to become front man rather than one of the red staff. (The red staff must have been recruited to pay back some sort of debt aswell - they have very basic rations, are working like robots and are at as much risk of getting killed as the contestants, so they are clearly indebted somehow)
I thought he had only been missing for a few days but it seemed to me as if he had a history of going missing for a few days at a time, which would make sense as the games only last for a few days and only seem to happen once a year. He’s only missing for the time it takes for recruitment and finding a winner. Honestly I was expecting the brother to be The first contestant who died in green light/red light.

*note 1 - the old guy made his money as a loan shark. In the beginning gi-hun signed away his physical rights to his loan shark. he was reminded of this in the squid games compound so I think gi-hun’s loan shark was working for old man. In fact I think everybody there ultimately owed their debts to the old man, like a pyramid scheme of loan sharks with old man at the top 😂

the old man didn’t want to watch the rest of the games as he had already played in them, so wouldnt get enjoyment out of just sitting and watching. Kind of like no longer watching the World Cup when your team loses and is out of the competition early doors.

And final few comments not related to anything above.
Gong Yoo 😍 he could rip me to shreds and I’d thank him for it.
Ali deserved better. Him playing marbles are the most heartbreaking scenes in the whole show.

Reactions: 12
Anyone googled their ages and realised they are so much older than they look and then died a little inside at their own aging face? Just me? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Saw this on FB earlier but the page was public so didn’t want to comment on it but Gong Yoo could smack my ass like a drum 😛

View attachment 798874
he’s so handsome, I’d be have been like you can slap me honey, I don’t wanna play though

Anyone googled their ages and realised they are so much older than they look and then died a little inside at their own aging face? Just me? 😆
Gong Yoo is in his 40’s :eek: I thought he was like 30ish damnnnn

Reactions: 3
Not read the posts in case of spoilers but am on episode 5 now. Desperate to binge on it dying (no pun) to get to the end of the series.

And phwoar X2 at Seong Gi-hun and Cho Sang-woo
I’m so glad I’m not alone with fancying Gi-hun, he’s gorgeous

Reactions: 5
Finished Squid game tonight and loved it! I definitely think I have acquired some new nightmares though 🥴🤣.

The guy who gave Gi-Hun the card in the subway at the beginning might be the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen in my life.

Edit - Googled and the actor is Gong Yoo
You need to watch Train To Busan then, he is the lead in that and he is amazing!!

Ngl Gi Hun scrubs up well in real life. I wouldn't say no
I dont know if its because its been a while but I started finding myself attracted to him halfway through....boy does he scrub up well. Had to google other pics of him and was no disappointed.

• Heart
I just finished the show. I liked it, episode 6 was especially heartbreaking and I hate Sang woo.
However I wish Sae-Byeok had one. I found it too predictable that Gi hun would win because he was the main character. I think it would’ve made more sense to see him sacrifice himself so she could go on and win for her brother. Then again I don’t think I’d be too annoyed if he’d just got on that plane in the end and started a new life with his daughter. I can kind of see why he wants to find out who was behind the games, but it just seemed like a set up for another season.
I also don’t understand the whole under cop being the brother of the front man storyline. My dad guessed it but I was shocked at how old the brother was because I assumed he was younger and was one of the contestants.
All in all it was a very good show and I would recommend it. The games were very well thought out and really tense, my hands were so clammy watching episode 7, and I hope season 2 is just as good.

Reactions: 9
Really enjoyed this, I'm rubbish at guessing twists so I didn't work much of them out 🙈 but kept me gripped the whole way through. I watched it with the audio so might rewatch with the subtitles

Another recommendation for Train to Bhusan also if you don't mind horror

Reactions: 4
Absolutely bloody loved it, haven't been so gripped by a show in a long time. I usually hate anything gruesome/horror but it won me over with such a clever storyline. Although I did guess the ending which is not like me at all, so that was a bit disappointing :ROFLMAO:

I feel like they will ruin it with series 2 though. I feel like alot of these style shows or movies - hunger games, westworld etc, they are SO good when the game/action part is happening and once they start trying to 'overthrow' the system it's just tit. Hopefully I'll be wrong though.

LOVED Ali and Sae-byeok, pretty much hated everyone else but I accept that was necessary for the story to work 😅

I watched Alice in Borderland after and did enjoy it, but nowhere near as much.

Reactions: 11
I found it too predictable that Gi hun would win because he was the main character. I think it would’ve made more sense to see him sacrifice himself so she could go on and win for her brother. Then again I don’t think I’d be too annoyed if he’d just got on that plane in the end and started a new life with his daughter. I can kind of see why he wants to find out who was behind the games, but it just seemed like a set up for another season.
I think this is honestly my main issue with the whole thing in a way. It's just so predictable despite some of the games being tense because the assumption is that the main character will win the game, and honestly I'd say that there's nothing that makes you think twice about it

I've read that there really aren't any plans for season 2. Though the writer has said that if there was it would focus on the Front Man which would be interesting but idk... I do think that it just works as one season

I've just started watching a show called Sweet Home which is also Korean and was compared to squid game/Alice in wonderland. Worth a try but it's definitely more horror than the other two as its post-apocalyptic. I'm only on episode 2 but enjoying it so far.

Reactions: 2
Finished Squid game tonight and loved it! I definitely think I have acquired some new nightmares though 🥴🤣.

The guy who gave Gi-Hun the card in the subway at the beginning might be the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen in my life.

Edit - Googled and the actor is Gong Yoo
I agree, gong yoo is sexy as hell

Finished! I avoid blood and gore films but I really enjoyed it because the personalities of the characters and their stories made it deeper than just a bloodfest.
Loved crazy curly hair woman.

I guessed the brother was the masked one (although had expected him to be a younger student) and I knew the old man was dodgy but forgot all about him once he fake died in marble street. Hated the VIP episode because it made me think of Epstein's islands and also with the pandemic how the rich get away with so much and the poor don't. Always knew there would be only 1 winner so wasn't surprised it was the protagonist. Was surprised that the brother killed his cop brother though and expected him to be shot to keep (masked) face but saved

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Just finished watching this yesterday! I was surprised how compelling it was, however I needed a break after episode 6 as it was such an upsetting one 😭

I really wanted Ali to make it because he was so sweet but before they found out about the marble challenge when he and Sang-Woo were like "We're going to work together and get through this" I turned to my partner and said they're all gonna end up playing against each other so one of them is going to die.

I was punching the air when I correctly guessed the identity of the Front Man!!
It was when the detective read in the file that his brother won in 2015, I theorised that maybe he ended up succeeding the previous Front Man for some reason.
I was expecting him to be younger though so it threw me that he was older. Looking back though the detective found a card in his room, so he must have been invited to be the Front Man? That would also explain someone else's theory that he squandered all his winnings if he was living in that tiny room and was offered some sort of second chance. But then I'm sure it's said that the Front Man has been doing it before? Idk 🤷🏼
Annoyingly I then spoiled the twist ending for myself when I accidentally read something online about the old man! I felt so betrayed because he was so sweet 😭

I do think it would have been more poetic and done Gi-Hun's kind side justice had he and Sae-Byeok got through to the final against each other and he fell on his sword to let her win. I hate that Sang-Woo redeemed himself at the last minute when he had been so selfish up to that point.

However all of it went on to prove that Gi-Hun won purely out of luck and also because others helped/saved him. He wasn't the main character because he was the main character, he was the main character because if you played it backwards to figure out why that person won you would find it was all down to chance and circumstance and not skill or strategy. I think him being kind to other players saved him without him realising.

I'll be honest it didn't bother me too much how predictable a lot of it was because the characterisation was so good that you do end up caring a lot about them.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve started watching Alice in Borderland after recommendations here but we weren’t massively impressed. We watched 3 episodes last night and both agreed Squid Games was better.

We will finish Borderland though and then I’ll decide what to think

Reactions: 6
I was glad to see crazy curly hair and the snake tattoo dude go off in a blaze of crazy.

The marble episode broke my heart…

Reactions: 7