Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going on my first solo UK break tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED! I'm going to do all the things I want - lots of hiking, visiting cute little villages and then being in bed by 10pm 😂

This has arisen because I now find myself single with the vast majority of my friends married with kids and just not into the same things anymore. So I can either wait for someone to come along or I can just get off my bum and do it. I refuse to wait for someone else to be available to let me do the things I want to do with my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I'm going on my first solo UK break tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED! I'm going to do all the things I want - lots of hiking, visiting cute little villages and then being in bed by 10pm 😂

This has arisen because I now find myself single with the vast majority of my friends married with kids and just not into the same things anymore. So I can either wait for someone to come along or I can just get off my bum and do it. I refuse to wait for someone else to be available to let me do the things I want to do with my life.
Have an *amazing* time!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Yay, sounds brilliant, have a fabulous time!

I went to New York with JustYou and it was amazing - I ended up going to Venice with a lady I met on that trip too as we both wanted to go and didn't fancy it alone so that worked well. I've gone spain for a day (oh yes it was brilliant) to dip my toe and like you I'd be fine in the day but what to do at night? I need to brave it and try Majorca or somewhere I know for a few nights first I think

So many lovely and useful tips so far! THANK YOU everyone! I've pretty much decided on Italy. Now have to choose when and where...
To add - if you ever decide on Venice, it's a 2-3 night tops place. I did 5 and I was SO BORED I couldn't wait to come home 🤣 it's beautiful but very small

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I was nervous about what to do in the evening as well - in Feb I went to Seville for three nights by myself. Not going to lie, the first night I was a bit awkward and ended up buying food from a supermarket and heading back to my hotel room - nothing wrong with that either! But by night 2, took myself off to a restaurant, had my phone, took my book and just had a great time! Actually ended up chatting to a nice couple at the table next to me for a bit.

I was very lucky in that my hotel had a lovely rooftop bar, which I would go to for a nightcap and the staff were lovely but what I would say is just go easy on yourself and do what you’re comfortable with. If your hotel has a bar, then it’s a good place to go by yourself for the first time because they are very used to be people being there by themselves.

• Heart
I was nervous about what to do in the evening as well - in Feb I went to Seville for three nights by myself. Not going to lie, the first night I was a bit awkward and ended up buying food from a supermarket and heading back to my hotel room - nothing wrong with that either! But by night 2, took myself off to a restaurant, had my phone, took my book and just had a great time! Actually ended up chatting to a nice couple at the table next to me for a bit.

I was very lucky in that my hotel had a lovely rooftop bar, which I would go to for a nightcap and the staff were lovely but what I would say is just go easy on yourself and do what you’re comfortable with. If your hotel has a bar, then it’s a good place to go by yourself for the first time because they are very used to be people being there by themselves.
This sounds like what I want to do, as well. I like a rooftop bar😄

It's a shame we can't all do a Tattle Team Travellers Trip!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I want to go on a holiday by myself but feel like i’m being held back by someone who would 100% judge me / argue about it

I’ve solo travelled extensively in S.E.Asia and so long as you’re happy in your own company, keep your wits about you & research known scams before hand there’s really nothing to worry about. Sitting on your own in a restaurant is great for people watching and if you don’t fancy that, take a book. No one judges you and even if they did, you’ll never see them again.
I’m not really into meeting other travellers, I’d rather keep to myself generally. Some nights I’d have a few beers from a good vantage point and watch the world go by and others I’d sit on my bed with a toastie from the 7-11, massive bag of crisps and sweets, litres of pop and watch crap on the room TV - bliss!

Alternatively there are lots of solo travel groups you can join to meet like minded on people or you can attend something like a boot camp, art lessons, yoga break etc where you’ll meet people. There are holidays for every hobby.
Theflippedpiece on Instagram is organising a ladies only holiday just now.

I want to go on a holiday by myself but feel like i’m being held back by someone who would 100% judge me / argue about it
If it’s not as easy as saying duck ‘em, try the hobby holiday route as an excuse, make it partially about pursuing an interest so they can’t criticise. Blokes going on a a city break alone and it’s ‘weird’ but a golf or whisky tasting weekend and no one bats an eye lid.
It can be something as simple as wanting to try the local food, no extra expense but it gives it purpose. People seem to see it differently when you frame it as travelling to learn rather than a holiday.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I agree with you and what @littlepup says below. My OH doesn't want to go on holiday, but also doesn't want me to go by myself. So I've told him I'm going to go on a hiking holiday. This is not strictly true, but he might complain a bit less. I went on a holiday he didn't agree with once before (I met up with a friend once I got there so wasn't alone for the whole time, just the travelling which I've done a lot before). We had a row about that, and he never wants to hear anything about it or see any photos. It's because he feels he missed out. But that's his problem, not mine - and I won't let him persuade me out of doing what I want. Someone on here said if we wait for other people to agree with us on everything, we'll never get to do what we want.

• Heart
I agree with you and what @littlepup says below. My OH doesn't want to go on holiday, but also doesn't want me to go by myself. So I've told him I'm going to go on a hiking holiday. This is not strictly true, but he might complain a bit less. I went on a holiday he didn't agree with once before (I met up with a friend once I got there so wasn't alone for the whole time, just the travelling which I've done a lot before). We had a row about that, and he never wants to hear anything about it or see any photos. It's because he feels he missed out. But that's his problem, not mine - and I won't let him persuade me out of doing what I want. Someone on here said if we wait for other people to agree with us on everything, we'll never get to do what we want.
honestly i know this is not the point of the thread but something like this would make me recobsider the relationship tbh. he cannot complain about missing out when te has chosen not to go, and have you considered how he Will react if he realises you lied about going hiking?

Reactions: 4
This thread is making me want to book a holiday . I am thinking of Ibiza in October but I think the prices that are putting me off

Reactions: 1
This thread is making me want to book a holiday . I am thinking of Ibiza in October but I think the prices that are putting me off
Me too, I'm thinking of a rail trip round Italy now, just making it up as I go along, if I like somewhere I'll stay a few days, if not I'll move on. Probably won't happen this year as I'm job hunting but next year I'll defo plan something either early May or early September

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Me too, I'm thinking of a rail trip round Italy now, just making it up as I go along, if I like somewhere I'll stay a few days, if not I'll move on. Probably won't happen this year as I'm job hunting but next year I'll defo plan something either early May or early September
I got around Italy by train and it was so fast and cheap, I booked the tickets at least a month in advance but no train was more than 35€ or longer than 2.5 hours! Italy is a great place to travel alone, it's full of things to do so you'll always be busy 😚

Reactions: 1
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! In a similar position to lots of you - single with mostly married friends - so solo hols is something I’ve been looking into recently. I been lucky enough to work in Dubai a bit so have tagged a few solo days onto the end of work trips but never done a solo trip that was just for a holiday. Currently looking at a few European city breaks, Rome is top of the list.

A few years ago my cousin did a trip with Contiki and had a great time, made lots of friends from it. Unfortunately they’re for 18-35s and I’m no longer in that age bracket! Does anyone know of similar companies who cater for 40-somethings? I’d really love to do a safari but would imagine that’s pretty impossible to sort out without going through a tour operator? Will check out Just You that’s been mentioned but would love to know any others people have used.

Really glad I stumbled across this thread! In a similar position to lots of you - single with mostly married friends - so solo hols is something I’ve been looking into recently. I been lucky enough to work in Dubai a bit so have tagged a few solo days onto the end of work trips but never done a solo trip that was just for a holiday. Currently looking at a few European city breaks, Rome is top of the list.

A few years ago my cousin did a trip with Contiki and had a great time, made lots of friends from it. Unfortunately they’re for 18-35s and I’m no longer in that age bracket! Does anyone know of similar companies who cater for 40-somethings? I’d really love to do a safari but would imagine that’s pretty impossible to sort out without going through a tour operator? Will check out Just You that’s been mentioned but would love to know any others people have used.
I've only used Just You - I was 29 at the time and the youngest on my trip by a few years but it didn't matter at all. Everyone is there for the same reason and it was a really lovely group. I'm hoping they'll bring back the Hong Kong short trip again as that's on my list but obviously HK are still more covid strict so it's not on at the moment. The New York one is what I did and it was amazing - lots of excursions thrown in that you can take part in (or not) and then optional cost ones or free time. They give airport lounge access and allsorts with the packages so it is a good company.

Reactions: 5
honestly i know this is not the point of the thread but something like this would make me recobsider the relationship tbh. he cannot complain about missing out when te has chosen not to go, and have you considered how he Will react if he realises you lied about going hiking?
Oh yeah we've been together a loooong time & he didn't actually complain about missing out, he just won't admit to not wanting to talk about it because he knows he'd have enjoyed it if he had come along, and doesn't want to admit to being wrong. It's OK tho, we have an agreement that I do my things & he does his things, and he doesn't need to know what I'm doing every hour. It'll be fine as long as I report back that I'm alive every day. When I go to Italy he'll be jealous of all the food I'll be eating without him😆

Ive been following Postcardsbyhannah on Instagram for a while & saved a few of her recent trips for more solo European travels. So many gorgeous places in Germany, and apparently Croatia is good for going alone as well.

• Heart
Oh yeah we've been together a loooong time & he didn't actually complain about missing out, he just won't admit to not wanting to talk about it because he knows he'd have enjoyed it if he had come along, and doesn't want to admit to being wrong. It's OK tho, we have an agreement that I do my things & he does his things, and he doesn't need to know what I'm doing every hour. It'll be fine as long as I report back that I'm alive every day. When I go to Italy he'll be jealous of all the food I'll be eating without him😆

Ive been following Postcardsbyhannah on Instagram for a while & saved a few of her recent trips for more solo European travels. So many gorgeous places in Germany, and apparently Croatia is good for going alone as well.
If you're interested in Croatia you should ask @strawb for tips!

• Heart
If you're interested in Croatia you should ask @strawb for tips!
*tour guide mode activated* 😂

seriously if you do decide to visit croatia, i'm here for any questions 😊
i would highly recommend the coast of croatia for solo travels because it's incredibly safe. where i live there no crime at all, no pickpocketing, no homelessness, you can feel perfectly safe on your own and there's lots of nice activities do you by yourself too 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 8
*tour guide mode activated* 😂

seriously if you do decide to visit croatia, i'm here for any questions 😊
i would highly recommend the coast of croatia for solo travels because it's incredibly safe. where i live there no crime at all, no pickpocketing, no homelessness, you can feel perfectly safe on your own and there's lots of nice activities do you by yourself too 😊
on my way 🏃🏽‍♀️

• Heart