Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

easyliketuesdayafternoon

I'm going on my first solo UK break tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED! I'm going to do all the things I want - lots of hiking, visiting cute little villages and then being in bed by 10pm 😂

This has arisen because I now find myself single with the vast majority of my friends married with kids and just not into the same things anymore. So I can either wait for someone to come along or I can just get off my bum and do it. I refuse to wait for someone else to be available to let me do the things I want to do with my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
I have 2 weeks off in June, solo holiday needs booking today. Need somewhere in the med, hot, sunny, beaches, affordable but with history and culture as well. Any ideas?
Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
Why do you have to say that you are black?
Is it only me that could not care less??
Black people can have a very different experience travelling than white people do, so its something female solo travellers who are black are conscious of (unfortunately, quite rightly)

• Heart
Reactions: 12

SwishSwing

VIP Member
I've been on holiday twice on my own, both times to Tenerife (as I'd been there before).

During the day I walked, explored, had a few pool days, people watched.

In the evening I went for dinner on my own and would go to the waterside afterwards and have a wine while watching the sea (and people) before going back to my balcony.

I went self catering, as ironically I find eating alone in hotels more awkward than cafes, bistros and restaurants outwith.

I enjoy an early start / early night on holiday and I found going solo worked for me as I could just get up and go walking as soon as I woke without waiting for anyone, or having to go back to hotels etc when others woke. My day (and in turn holiday) was my own.

I enjoyed it and never at any point felt unsafe. Even with it being the tourist area, I found being alone avoided the "oh you wanting a drink, a good time, food" kinda rep people which I appreciated.

I recommend going alone greatly and now I know I can do it myself I'll definitely be working my way through my bucket list of places to go.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

SaintLeo

VIP Member
Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.
Not quite the same thing but I go to the theatre on my own all the time and love it. Once you’re in and immersed in the show it doesn’t matter if you’re on your own or not!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

MaryJones1

Ahh I'm so happy to find this thread! I have my first solo trip to Italy booked in July and I'm really considering cancelling it tbh- worried about the stress of finding my way around, being bored alone as well as just being too hot! Plus my mum keeps saying she wishes I wasn't going and that she's really worried :rolleyes:

But I know it would be really good for my confidence and I don't know when I'll get another chance to go to Italy since trying to arrange holidays with other people has proven to be impossible! I've gone for self-catering since I don't want the pressure of having to eat out in restaurants- I've done this at lunch time before but in the evening it seems a bit scarier for some reason haha but the option's there if I want it. And the apartment's air-conditioned so I can go back and rest if I get too hot without worrying about what anyone else wants to do.

I don't know the closer it gets the more nervous I feel but this thread has made me feel better!
Has anyone used the app nomadher? I've downloaded it to maybe see if there are any other female travellers where I'm going that I could meet up with but don't know if it's actually any good or if that's even what it's really used for 🤷‍♀️
Hi, I did my first solo trip in Feb. Long weekend, booked on a whim and like you was sick with nerves before hand but can honestly say it was fab! The freedom of planning my days to suit myself, only paying for 1 and doing lots of walking and reading was fab. I got such a sense of accomplishment and was so proud of myself. I used to always rely on my husband for directions etc, it was so good to figure everything out myself 👍 Couple of things I did to make it more safe / enjoyable - booked a hotel as felt it would be safer than air b n b (security on site etc), hotel was quite luxurious, brought lots of books and my ipad to amuse myself. Honestly it was fab. I came home and booked my next solo trip for June 👍 Just do it, what's the worst that could happen 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hoping someone on here is / has been brave enough to go on holiday alone and can give me some tips!

I haven't been on holiday at all for about 5 years for various reasons plus of course the pandemic. My husband doesn't like going abroad (won't fly, everything else is too much hassle for him & he's not really interested enough to go anywhere to make the effort) and all my friends now have babies so I've got nobody to go with but I really want a holiday!

Have any of you (mainly girls) been anywhere abroad by yourselves? I'm thinking Europe, mainly. Where's safe? Where's interesting? Where's easy to go and eat alone? I feel like I'd be OK during the daytime in a city or a resort but not sure what I'd do by myself in the evenings...

Or have any of you been on those guided solo traveller trips? I usually arrange all my own travel as it's cheaper, but maybe I should go for something that's a guided thing?

Any ideas welcome!

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
Travelled by myself numerous times, you won't ever regret it. And once you've done it you realise how much better it is! Iv made so many friends from other countries over the years. In fact, 2 iv remained friends with for around 15 years now. Every birthday,new year and Christmas we always message. ❤ It's nice to do what you want to do without worrying about what someone else wants to do, you can people watch and never get bored. I always used to take a book with me to meal times, just for extra support as sometimes I did feel awkward sitting by myself. But you get used to it, and as I say, it's surprising how you make friends. One thing I would say is buy some extra hotel security, you can now buy door stop alarms and extra locks on Amazon. Just type in travel security and they will come up. I say this because once when I was in Turkey by myself, 2 men did walk jnto my room one night. Luckily the phone was by my bed and I rang down to security and they came rushing up. That was a Thomas Cook hotel too! So not some dodgy hotel. Ever since then I always take extra security with me. But I miss the days of solo travel, the freedom and confidence you get from it is amazing. I'd encourage anyone to try it at least once.
I'm going to America next week with my son and partner and since news of this shooting broke I'm actually quite scared. So any advice on that would help!
Agreed about the hotel thing, further to that don't tell anyone you meet where you are staying or that you are in a room alone

• Heart

Just here to say

Chatty Member
I like going solo. I don't think a guided trip is worth it for Europe. All info you need you can Google.

I stayed in a hostel in Prague and it was actually really nice. I met two people there with whom I spent the next few days/nights with. Great way to meet people. Look on booking. Com for ratings etc. Transport in Prague is excellent with trams all over the city.

Stayed in another hostel in Budapest and it was good also. Went in December so not many people around which was perfect. Metro there is pretty good, cheap and will get you wherever you want around the city.

My advice is just book the tickets and go. Don't think about it too much. Have fun and go sightseeing as much as you can.

• Heart
I was nervous about what to do in the evening as well - in Feb I went to Seville for three nights by myself. Not going to lie, the first night I was a bit awkward and ended up buying food from a supermarket and heading back to my hotel room - nothing wrong with that either! But by night 2, took myself off to a restaurant, had my phone, took my book and just had a great time! Actually ended up chatting to a nice couple at the table next to me for a bit.

I was very lucky in that my hotel had a lovely rooftop bar, which I would go to for a nightcap and the staff were lovely but what I would say is just go easy on yourself and do what you’re comfortable with. If your hotel has a bar, then it’s a good place to go by yourself for the first time because they are very used to be people being there by themselves.
This sounds like what I want to do, as well. I like a rooftop bar😄

It's a shame we can't all do a Tattle Team Travellers Trip!

• Heart
Defo do it! I go to Italy every year. Trains are so easy to navigate which enhances exploring. I use Milan airport as cheaper flights to there. I have also done Italy and incorporated Switzerland and Slovenia. Never felt unsafe ever. Same with Berlin. Loved it. I’ve been so many places alone and then with my baby / toddler who is now 12! We just book flights plans loosely and have the time of our life’s.

Last year flew to rome - train to Naples / sorrento - train then ferry to Elba - Elba to Florence - Garda stayed in camps mostly tbh which was great!

have done Milan - Lugano / Swiss alps - Venice - lido si Jesolo

Milan - Trieste - Slovenia - lake bled (Such a dream)

milan - cinque terre - genoa
(I hate Milan as a city believe it or not lol but I use it to leave straight away ha)

I can go on and on! I get lost and a reroute it really is the best

Sicily is another wonderful place in Italy Cefalù - lovely

In Spain Alicante is lovely (not beni!) imo

this year I’m going Corfu - Albania - bari in Italy.

I book cheap flights and go from there!

So excited for you X

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
It's the last day of my solo holiday but Ive been stung by a jellyfish and it really hurt so I've come back to my apartment to mope x

• Sad
  • Heart

thegreencow

VIP Member
I'm just back from Edinburgh. Anyone who hasn't been yet must go. It's a great little city to go solo with lots to do. Calton Hill at sunset is a must. Unfortunately I didn't have time to attempt Arthur's Seat. The castle was lovely but I definitely didn't see everything and will go again when I'm next up there. I got to see the Scottish Crown Jewels though. The Giant Pandas are unfortunately going off show next month but I'm delighted to report I got to see both of them. The zoo is worth a visit even without them though and there is lots to see. The Royal Yacht was great but mush smaller than it looks online and I wish there had been more of the Queen's fashion on show. You can easily walk around the whole city and not spend anything apart from for food as there are plenty of free attractions and lots of things to see outdoors.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful with taking photos etc. As a lone female I never once felt unsafe, even at night. I stayed at the Hub by Premier Inn and it's a lovely hotel with a nice view and a very helpful map of the city on the wall. I managed to get a very cheap Avanti Train return for under £80 and had no issues with the luggage limit. I think they said on their website there's a two bag limit but I had four and no one said anything. It's a long old journey but the views on the way up were fantastic once we hit the north.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Notworthy

VIP Member
I love getting the bus in America it’s very eye opening 🤣
I'd recommend keeping your eyes closed. I got the bus in Miami, looked at the Guy across from me and thought 'do not look down' of course I looked down and sure enough his cock was out and he was masturbating while watching me.

• Wow
  • Haha

Sprezza

VIP Member
I have caught the solo travel bug!! Did my first trip to Italy in July and just booked a mini break in Galicia, Spain in October! I've been there before so I feel extra confident 😊

• Heart

strawb

VIP Member
Ive been following Postcardsbyhannah on Instagram for a while & saved a few of her recent trips for more solo European travels. So many gorgeous places in Germany, and apparently Croatia is good for going alone as well.
If you're interested in Croatia you should ask @strawb for tips!
*tour guide mode activated* 😂

seriously if you do decide to visit croatia, i'm here for any questions 😊
i would highly recommend the coast of croatia for solo travels because it's incredibly safe. where i live there no crime at all, no pickpocketing, no homelessness, you can feel perfectly safe on your own and there's lots of nice activities do you by yourself too 😊

• Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
Ahh I'm so happy to find this thread! I have my first solo trip to Italy booked in July and I'm really considering cancelling it tbh- worried about the stress of finding my way around, being bored alone as well as just being too hot! Plus my mum keeps saying she wishes I wasn't going and that she's really worried :rolleyes:

But I know it would be really good for my confidence and I don't know when I'll get another chance to go to Italy since trying to arrange holidays with other people has proven to be impossible! I've gone for self-catering since I don't want the pressure of having to eat out in restaurants- I've done this at lunch time before but in the evening it seems a bit scarier for some reason haha but the option's there if I want it. And the apartment's air-conditioned so I can go back and rest if I get too hot without worrying about what anyone else wants to do.

I don't know the closer it gets the more nervous I feel but this thread has made me feel better!
Has anyone used the app nomadher? I've downloaded it to maybe see if there are any other female travellers where I'm going that I could meet up with but don't know if it's actually any good or if that's even what it's really used for 🤷‍♀️
I went to Italy for the first time last year and loved it. I joined a. group trip though so not really solo other than the flights! Travelled by train which was pretty reliable and felt very safe.

As with any big city there are pickpockets about in the touristy areas, someone magaged to get in my bag in a market in Florence but luckily not into where my phone and cash were. Not to scare you, just to highlight the benefit of keeping a close hold on valuables! Florence was still my favourite of all the places we went to and felt totally safe wandering round all of the beautiful streets there. Venice also surpassed all my expectations and was easy to get round on the water buses.

If you’re going to the big tourist attractions you can book on guided group tours so that’s a chance to meet other people and not feel like you’re on your own all the time.

You’ll have an amazing time! Enjoy!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Sprezza

VIP Member
Got the solo travel blues and I haven't even left yet 😅
I'm going to Porto tomorrow for a few days and the weather is going to be absolutely shit plus I think I'm coming down with a cold. Can't complain though cos my mum already gets so worried about me travelling solo she'll have a breakdown if I'm not having an amazing time 100% of the time!
Trying to push through and still have a nice time 😬

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Thank you.for.this. I am more interested in visiting Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam, if anyone has more advice would.be great. .still pretty scared (not.scared as such) but ...
I’ve just realised I said sole, not soul, but Tbf once you’ve stomped your way around the world in Havianas it’s probably sole too!

My best advice would be to see what time of the year you want to travel and work from there. The seasons affect travel drastically in S.E Asia so what’s easy in the peak becomes tricky in the low season.
Also a budget, work out where you can save and where you want to spend. You can absolutely do it on a shoe string but the cheaper, the harder I’ve found. You’ll always get to where you need to be with transport but it’ll take twice as long, you’ll be (attempted) scammed, maybe bunched in with a bunch or insufferable assholes… it’s kinda a rite of passage but if you’re 25+, used to not living like a student, it’s probably not worth it. I
don’t mind paying £8 a night for a beach hut with a cold shower and a bucket to flush the loo (and a can of bug spray) but I can’t be arsed with a van ride for 8 hours with my feet up one someone’s rucksack, getting driven round the houses for hours because they want to get you to book a room with them or pay more for a drop off that’s not in the middle of nowhere. Of course there are reputable companies that strike a balance but I’d rather just fly and save the hassle these days then save on food/accommodation.