Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m thinking about 5 days in Lisbon 🇵🇹 end of November, travelling as a solo female. Does any of you lovely lot have any experience of being on their tod in foreign cities in winter?

Reactions: 2
Travelled by myself numerous times, you won't ever regret it. And once you've done it you realise how much better it is! Iv made so many friends from other countries over the years. In fact, 2 iv remained friends with for around 15 years now. Every birthday,new year and Christmas we always message. ❤ It's nice to do what you want to do without worrying about what someone else wants to do, you can people watch and never get bored. I always used to take a book with me to meal times, just for extra support as sometimes I did feel awkward sitting by myself. But you get used to it, and as I say, it's surprising how you make friends. One thing I would say is buy some extra hotel security, you can now buy door stop alarms and extra locks on Amazon. Just type in travel security and they will come up. I say this because once when I was in Turkey by myself, 2 men did walk jnto my room one night. Luckily the phone was by my bed and I rang down to security and they came rushing up. That was a Thomas Cook hotel too! So not some dodgy hotel. Ever since then I always take extra security with me. But I miss the days of solo travel, the freedom and confidence you get from it is amazing. I'd encourage anyone to try it at least once.
I'm going to America next week with my son and partner and since news of this shooting broke I'm actually quite scared. So any advice on that would help!

Reactions: 4
Travelled by myself numerous times, you won't ever regret it. And once you've done it you realise how much better it is! Iv made so many friends from other countries over the years. In fact, 2 iv remained friends with for around 15 years now. Every birthday,new year and Christmas we always message. ❤ It's nice to do what you want to do without worrying about what someone else wants to do, you can people watch and never get bored. I always used to take a book with me to meal times, just for extra support as sometimes I did feel awkward sitting by myself. But you get used to it, and as I say, it's surprising how you make friends. One thing I would say is buy some extra hotel security, you can now buy door stop alarms and extra locks on Amazon. Just type in travel security and they will come up. I say this because once when I was in Turkey by myself, 2 men did walk jnto my room one night. Luckily the phone was by my bed and I rang down to security and they came rushing up. That was a Thomas Cook hotel too! So not some dodgy hotel. Ever since then I always take extra security with me. But I miss the days of solo travel, the freedom and confidence you get from it is amazing. I'd encourage anyone to try it at least once.
I'm going to America next week with my son and partner and since news of this shooting broke I'm actually quite scared. So any advice on that would help!
Agreed about the hotel thing, further to that don't tell anyone you meet where you are staying or that you are in a room alone

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Agreed about the hotel thing, further to that don't tell anyone you meet where you are staying or that you are in a room alone
I realised this on my first trip. I began chatting to a very friendly slightly older man on a ferry. He was on holidays but was from the US state I was visiting. We talked about where we had travelled before and both our sight seeing plans. At one stage he asked my name. Bear in mind my name is a little unusual. Then later as we came into dock he asked what hotel I was staying at..he was asking if I had far to walk. I made the mistake of telling him. I just didnt think and he was so friendly. Later I realised my mistake as I also had said i was travelling solo.

That night I blocked the door of my room with a massive armchair. It turns out he was harmless and was genuinely asking as I am still alive to tell the tale 😂 He had told me he was visiting to see a college football game and I googled the fixtures in the city to see if there actually was a game 😂

Since then I pick out the name of some random hotel so if someone asks I say I am staying there and I always say I am visiting a friend or with a tour group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I’m thinking about 5 days in Lisbon 🇵🇹 end of November, travelling as a solo female. Does any of you lovely lot have any experience of being on their tod in foreign cities in winter?
I solo traveled a few euro countries in the winter years ago. I quite enjoyed it although it’s def freezing up north ha. I haven’t been to Portugal so can’t share specific tips for there but have a lot of solo experience. Anything you’re wondering about?

I always do a lot of pre planning. Reading reviews. Mapping things out and checking google street views. Checking routes for walking. I always try to arrive in the day as much as possible so that it’s day light and safer. Otherwise I’ll take a taxi straight to hotel if not.

I don’t know anyone specific but I always do a google of solo female travelers who share tips for certain places either on YouTube or tiktok now.

Where are you headed to in the USA? I live in Los Angeles. I hate the gun violence in this country (I’m not American) and it’s a nightmare in general but on a daily, I don’t feel threatened. So don’t worry too much but of course keep your wits about you and be prepared for anything like any trip.

I have traveled quite a bit around the country including road trips - So feel free to let me know where and hopefully can share tips.

I did a long term solo trip 12 years ago and I’m still friends with a handful and I meet one girl I met in Bali every few years when she comes to California. We have met up 4 times now. Solo travel is not lonely, the opposite imo if you want to meet people.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I solo traveled a few euro countries in the winter years ago. I quite enjoyed it although it’s def freezing up north ha. I haven’t been to Portugal so can’t share specific tips for there but have a lot of solo experience. Anything you’re wondering about?

I always do a lot of pre planning. Reading reviews. Mapping things out and checking google street views. Checking routes for walking. I always try to arrive in the day as much as possible so that it’s day light and safer. Otherwise I’ll take a taxi straight to hotel if not.

I don’t know anyone specific but I always do a google of solo female travelers who share tips for certain places either on YouTube or tiktok now.

Where are you headed to in the USA? I live in Los Angeles. I hate the gun violence in this country (I’m not American) and it’s a nightmare in general but on a daily, I don’t feel threatened. So don’t worry too much but of course keep your wits about you and be prepared for anything like any trip.

I have traveled quite a bit around the country including road trips - So feel free to let me know where and hopefully can share tips.

I did a long term solo trip 12 years ago and I’m still friends with a handful and I meet one girl I met in Bali every few years when she comes to California. We have met up 4 times now. Solo travel is not lonely, the opposite imo if you want to meet people.
Thanks so much! If I was travelling alone I wouldn't be so anxious, but because iv got mu little boy and partner I'm so anxious. Iv been watching those videos about what to do in an active shooter situation, purely because we don't have that sort of training here as it's not needed. And I think its made me worse!! But I like to be prepared. So we start off in seattle, head to oregon coast, then through idaho, to wyoming, to utah and end up in Las Vegas. So quite a few stops!

And also I love what you said about solo travel not being lonely, but the opposite. That's exactly what my experience has always been.
I don't regret any solo trip I did, in fact I think it made me more confident. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks so much! If I was travelling alone I wouldn't be so anxious, but because iv got mu little boy and partner I'm so anxious. Iv been watching those videos about what to do in an active shooter situation, purely because we don't have that sort of training here as it's not needed. And I think its made me worse!! But I like to be prepared. So we start off in seattle, head to oregon coast, then through idaho, to wyoming, to utah and end up in Las Vegas. So quite a few stops!

And also I love what you said about solo travel not being lonely, but the opposite. That's exactly what my experience has always been.
I don't regret any solo trip I did, in fact I think it made me more confident. Xx
I know it’s touristy but I still love pike place market. There’s a place called ellenos yogurt. It’s so weird to say but their Greek yogurt is soooo good. Almost like a dessert.

I love the Oregon coast. Stop at the tillamook creamery (dairy brand) for ice cream. The cafe is quite good. Cannon beach of course. Portland has someone gone downhill but there’s no state tax so it’s great to do some shopping and eating there. Lots of greats craft breweries. Salt and straw ice cream. Great food scene. Not sure how far south you’ll go on the Oregon coast but it’s my favourite part of the unites states. I’ve driven alone from San Diego to Vancouver multiple times and it’s a gorgeous drive on the coast. Utah has all the stunning canyons but I’ve never been -still need to go to antelope and horseshoe canyon. Have a good trip! Safe travels.

• Heart
I know it’s touristy but I still love pike place market. There’s a place called ellenos yogurt. It’s so weird to say but their Greek yogurt is soooo good. Almost like a dessert.

I love the Oregon coast. Stop at the tillamook creamery (dairy brand) for ice cream. The cafe is quite good. Cannon beach of course. Portland has someone gone downhill but there’s no state tax so it’s great to do some shopping and eating there. Lots of greats craft breweries. Salt and straw ice cream. Great food scene. Not sure how far south you’ll go on the Oregon coast but it’s my favourite part of the unites states. I’ve driven alone from San Diego to Vancouver multiple times and it’s a gorgeous drive on the coast. Utah has all the stunning canyons but I’ve never been -still need to go to antelope and horseshoe canyon. Have a good trip! Safe travels.
Thanks so much for this, really appreciate your time and advice ! I go to Cannon Beach tomorrow!
I purchased an alarm door stop for this trip from amazon, so will review if I thought it was good as for lone travellers it may come in useful.

• Heart
I've just booked a solo group hol to Vietnam next year.

My flight has a stopover in Dubai so thinking I might have a few nights there, never been somewhere I've been tempted by but seems a waste not to.

Is it easy to get around/safe for a solo female? And what is there actually to do there 🤷‍♀️ Trying to work out how many nights to extend my hol by

• Sick
Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.

Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.
I went to see Britney Spears on my own once lol. I had an entire row next to the stage to myself. I had a whale of a time drinking and having a dance. She came right up to the edge of the stage and felt like i was dancing with her lol

Reactions: 5
Not quite the same thing but I go to the theatre on my own all the time and love it. Once you’re in and immersed in the show it doesn’t matter if you’re on your own or not!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I went to see Sade by myself. It was at a big arena in Canada. I just rolled through by myself not too early and I sat next to some lovely women and we all had a great time. I think shows and concerts actually are easier than say travel because you know everyone else is into the music! I don’t regret it at all because she’s amazing and I don’t know if she tours much.

Reactions: 3
I went to see Sade by myself. It was at a big arena in Canada. I just rolled through by myself not too early and I sat next to some lovely women and we all had a great time. I think shows and concerts actually are easier than say travel because you know everyone else is into the music! I don’t regret it at all because she’s amazing and I don’t know if she tours much.
Actually thinking about it I did go to a concert with a friend once but we sat separately as we bought tickets at different times and it was fine. The family next to me bought me a drink (I wasn’t drinking just a water but still expensive at a concert 😄). I’d prefer to stand as well which I think it’s less likely to matter if alone as it’s harder to stay right next to each other anyway.

• Heart
Actually thinking about it I did go to a concert with a friend once but we sat separately as we bought tickets at different times and it was fine. The family next to me bought me a drink (I wasn’t drinking just a water but still expensive at a concert 😄). I’d prefer to stand as well which I think it’s less likely to matter if alone as it’s harder to stay right next to each other anyway.
Just paid $9 for a bottle of water at Lauryn hill at the weekend! It’s highway robbery.

• Wow
I’ve been- it’s absolutely fine, you will be enjoying the music just like everyone else. I doubt anyone will notice you are alone. Have fun!

I always go to concerts alone! Its amazing and (if you want) you can easily talk to other people, actually met a few friends at them but in my experience regardless people at concerts are always friendly

Got the solo travel blues and I haven't even left yet 😅
I'm going to Porto tomorrow for a few days and the weather is going to be absolutely tit plus I think I'm coming down with a cold. Can't complain though cos my mum already gets so worried about me travelling solo she'll have a breakdown if I'm not having an amazing time 100% of the time!
Trying to push through and still have a nice time 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7