Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have caught the solo travel bug!! Did my first trip to Italy in July and just booked a mini break in Galicia, Spain in October! I've been there before so I feel extra confident 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have caught the solo travel bug!! Did my first trip to Italy in July and just booked a mini break in Galicia, Spain in October! I've been there before so I feel extra confident 😊
Where are you going in galicia? I've only been to a coruña but it was beautiful and of course fantastic seafood.
Anyone have recommendations for a shirt trip in mid November (in europe). Want to go away for a bit for my birthday (haven't been abroad since 2019 November when I went to bologna in Italy which was great. Not really fussy but want somewhere nice to walk around, good food!

Reactions: 1
Where are you going in galicia? I've only been to a coruña but it was beautiful and of course fantastic seafood.
Anyone have recommendations for a shirt trip in mid November (in europe). Want to go away for a bit for my birthday (haven't been abroad since 2019 November when I went to bologna in Italy which was great. Not really fussy but want somewhere nice to walk around, good food!
Salzburg or Munich

barcelona or milan would be my votes! depending on what you want weather wise but lots to see, easy to walk around and great food in both.

I'm going to Santiago de Compostela. It's such a nice autumnal destination, really gothic and cosy.
Ahh I went to Bologna on my last trip so I recommend going back haha
Somewhere I haven't been but am thinking about is Madeira. November would be a good time weather wise for me anyway- not too hot not too cold.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Jet2holidays has some discounts for solo travellers. hotUKdeals website is showing some but I’m sure there are more on their own website. Looks like you need discount code SOLO30

Reactions: 2
Jet2holidays has some discounts for solo travellers. hotUKdeals website is showing some but I’m sure there are more on their own website. Looks like you need discount code SOLO30
Thank you! Going to have a look later 😅 I decided I’ll get a dog earliest jan 2025 so I’ll go on a solo holiday next year. I do have a hotel booked in cappadocia and that’s top of my bucket list but the flights are putting me off🤔

I’m a 32 year old woman, happily single and no kids with a pretty much non existent social life 😂 but I’m quite a solitary person so doing things alone doesn’t bother me at all. I’m thinking about booking a solo trip to Paris in the spring, maybe March/beginning of April, for a few days. Has anyone else done Paris solo and how did you find it?

Reactions: 5
I’m a 32 year old woman, happily single and no kids with a pretty much non existent social life 😂 but I’m quite a solitary person so doing things alone doesn’t bother me at all. I’m thinking about booking a solo trip to Paris in the spring, maybe March/beginning of April, for a few days. Has anyone else done Paris solo and how did you find it?
I went to Paris solo over the summer and honestly it was one of my favourite trips ever. I didn't feel unsafe but I am sensible with belongings, have a lanyard thing for my phone and a crossbody bag etc.

I stayed in a hostel in gard du Nord and used the metro. Had a day walking to Eiffel tower, Luxembourg gardens, museums, the le entrecotre steak restaurant, did a food tour with 'no diet club' (on Instagram and book through air b&b). A day at Versailles, a day in montemarte, evening seine cruises, morning bike tours of the city.

I hear so many people speak negatively about Paris but I saw none of it personally and loved it on my own. Had never been before and had reservations going to what is apparently a romantic city alone but it was the best few day. I hope you go and love it!!

• Heart
I went to Paris solo over the summer and honestly it was one of my favourite trips ever. I didn't feel unsafe but I am sensible with belongings, have a lanyard thing for my phone and a crossbody bag etc.

I stayed in a hostel in gard du Nord and used the metro. Had a day walking to Eiffel tower, Luxembourg gardens, museums, the le entrecotre steak restaurant, did a food tour with 'no diet club' (on Instagram and book through air b&b). A day at Versailles, a day in montemarte, evening seine cruises, morning bike tours of the city.

I hear so many people speak negatively about Paris but I saw none of it personally and loved it on my own. Had never been before and had reservations going to what is apparently a romantic city alone but it was the best few day. I hope you go and love it!!
That’s all so good to know, thank you! I’ve noted your recommendations for things to do and I do enjoy a nice steak 🤤 Off to google accommodation now ❤

Does anyone have any advice for eating out alone on Spain? I'm going to Santiago de Compostela today and I'm only just remembering how different the food culture is there 😅
I probably won't go out for dinner in the evening as I imagine the tapas bars will be too crowded but at lunch time? Is it unheard of to order a portion of tapas for yourself? Or would I be better off going to a cafe/restaurant for lunch?
Also what's the tipping etiquette?

Bonus question (sorry!) What about breakfast? Is it like Italy where its common to go for a coffee and a pastry in the morning?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice for eating out alone on Spain? I'm going to Santiago de Compostela today and I'm only just remembering how different the food culture is there 😅
I probably won't go out for dinner in the evening as I imagine the tapas bars will be too crowded but at lunch time? Is it unheard of to order a portion of tapas for yourself? Or would I be better off going to a cafe/restaurant for lunch?

Bonus question (sorry!) What about breakfast? Is it like Italy where its common to go for a coffee and a pastry in the morning?
100 Montaditos could be an option, unless you're already familiar with it, informal Spanish tapas chain. You get the menu, tick off what you want on a form, hand it to the counter and they bring it out for you

I always go out for tapas alone when I am there, what I would recommend is going on a little tapas crawl, just get one in each place you go, much more fun and you can sample the best in each place!

Pastries are very common for breakfast but its also really common to have toasted bread with kind of grated tomato and olive oil, sometimes also with jamon. So jealous you are in my favourite food country!

100 Montaditos could be an option, unless you're already familiar with it, informal Spanish tapas chain. You get the menu, tick off what you want on a form, hand it to the counter and they bring it out for you
Interesting, thanks! I'll check it out
I always go out for tapas alone when I am there, what I would recommend is going on a little tapas crawl, just get one in each place you go, much more fun and you can sample the best in each place!

Pastries are very common for breakfast but its also really common to have toasted bread with kind of grated tomato and olive oil, sometimes also with jamon. So jealous you are in my favourite food country!
Thanks I'll give that a go!

ask for a media ración when ordering tapas so they just give you a smaller portion! and for breakfast most bars will be open in the morning and you can go and get a coffee and pastry or pan con tomate etc. If it's a good local place it shouldn't be more than 3.50€!

• Heart
I'm just back from Edinburgh. Anyone who hasn't been yet must go. It's a great little city to go solo with lots to do. Calton Hill at sunset is a must. Unfortunately I didn't have time to attempt Arthur's Seat. The castle was lovely but I definitely didn't see everything and will go again when I'm next up there. I got to see the Scottish Crown Jewels though. The Giant Pandas are unfortunately going off show next month but I'm delighted to report I got to see both of them. The zoo is worth a visit even without them though and there is lots to see. The Royal Yacht was great but mush smaller than it looks online and I wish there had been more of the Queen's fashion on show. You can easily walk around the whole city and not spend anything apart from for food as there are plenty of free attractions and lots of things to see outdoors.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful with taking photos etc. As a lone female I never once felt unsafe, even at night. I stayed at the Hub by Premier Inn and it's a lovely hotel with a nice view and a very helpful map of the city on the wall. I managed to get a very cheap Avanti Train return for under £80 and had no issues with the luggage limit. I think they said on their website there's a two bag limit but I had four and no one said anything. It's a long old journey but the views on the way up were fantastic once we hit the north.

• Heart
Reactions: 8