Sofie's World

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wasn't sure where to post this, but by "popular demand...." :ROFLMAO: on the Kylie Flavell thread

Not sure even what to put in the summary, an american living in Florence, lots of non disclosure of ads, crying videos of how hard it is to be an expect (whose instinct when crying isn't to film themselves?) etc...
What else?

Reactions: 2
I noticed in the description of her latest vlog she wrote Sunday Riley products were gifted and not an "ad." But ...she works for them. Im not sure how it can't be promotional.

Also, just an aside, I see she hangs out with Kacie Rose, somebody I absolutely cannot stand. (Seems like a nice person, but very ignorant, wrong about so much, no grasp on the language, very stereotypically American and I'm not sure why she's still in Italy etc) so I obviously dislike her inclusion in IG stories lol.

I noticed in the description of her latest vlog she wrote Sunday Riley products were gifted and not an "ad." But ...she works for them. Im not sure how it can't be promotional.

Also, just an aside, I see she hangs out with Kacie Rose, somebody I absolutely cannot stand. (Seems like a nice person, but very ignorant, wrong about so much, no grasp on the language, very stereotypically American and I'm not sure why she's still in Italy etc) so I obviously dislike her inclusion in IG stories lol.
oh god Kacie Rose...agree about your thoughts on her. Another person who when crying about homesickness picks up a camera to film herself, totally normal reaction :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1
oh god Kacie Rose...agree about your thoughts on her. Another person who when crying about homesickness picks up a camera to film herself, totally normal reaction :ROFLMAO:
Ha! I'm glad you know who I'm talking about. I'm sure she's great giving pep talks to US students abroad, but she's no expert. And it's 2 years she's been crying about people saying she doesn't speak Italian, but she doesn't really make an effort. Which brings me to Sofie....Did you notice she pretended she also "learns Italian with Davide?" Lol. We all heard her actual language story from years ago. Kacie also does ads for this Davide person. It drives me crazy haha.

Ha! I'm glad you know who I'm talking about. I'm sure she's great giving pep talks to US students abroad, but she's no expert. And it's 2 years she's been crying about people saying she doesn't speak Italian, but she doesn't really make an effort. Which brings me to Sofie....Did you notice she pretended she also "learns Italian with Davide?" Lol. We all heard her actual language story from years ago. Kacie also does ads for this Davide person. It drives me crazy haha.
omg yes, but didn't Kacie also do ads for lingoda? (which to me seems like a massive scam) her italian is atrocious, whatever she says in her constant crying videos about it, she seems to basically just hand around with american ex pats

Yes @emm and recently Babbel. 😂

Back to Sofie, I assume her mother remarried very well.

I was excited she was moving to Florence, since I lived there and love it. But her content is just very blah lately, IMO. As you noted earlier, maybe the brand influence?

Yes @emm and recently Babbel. 😂

Back to Sofie, I assume her mother remarried very well.

I was excited she was moving to Florence, since I lived there and love it. But her content is just very blah lately, IMO. As you noted earlier, maybe the brand influence?
yeah I agree, like you said I liked her xmas video in Calabria as I like the italian content, her skincare routine, eating in her flat etc... I could watch anyone doing that.

Thanks @emm for making this thread, I felt like I was annoying folks whenever I mentioned Sofie in the Kylie thread 😅

Back during her Rome phase (I think 2016 to 2019), I enjoyed watching Sofie as a counterbalance to her friend Zoey Arielle (who also has a thread here), since Zoey was incredibly ditzy and annoying in the way she misrepresented Italy as a perfect place - and not to mention her butchering of Italian at every opportunity to sound sophisticated. Sofie was "keeping it real", at least to an extent. She seemed to live pretty humbly, talked about the struggles of working in Italy as a foreigner, didn't pretend like Italy was a fairytale.

Sofie at least has some self-awareness about being an "influencer" and about how she portrays her life through the lens of social media. In the past she's made several posts and videos talking about her insecurities, sharing photos/videos of her face and body unfiltered, and saying she doesn't want her audience to compare their lives to hers or to feel inferior. A few months back she reposted something on Instagram stories to the effect of: "kids these days and their technology!".

But if she truly believed that, would she share as much of her life as she does? Does she say that just to excuse herself? I just find it odd that she tries to relate by saying "I get bloated too, my life isn't perfect, don't believe what you see on social media" when it is her literal job in PR/marketing to use social media to persuade people into buying Sunday Riley's products (which, sorry to say, still preys on women's insecurities no matter how green or hip your branding is), to make things "aesthetic" and picture-perfect. Since she's been in Florence, it's been nothing but vacations, spa trips, meals out, classy events with SR... with the occasional complaint about bureaucracy and crying about being away from family. I've found her less and less relatable in the last few years.

She moved back to Houston in 2019 because, I believe, they were starting to feel the strain of Italy's economic situation. She said they wanted to be able to raise a family in the US because it's much more stable. After their little flat in Rome, I was incredibly surprised to see them moving into (what looked like) a brand-new townhome in one of the country's biggest cities. I can't imagine going from a shabby little place in Rome with moths in the cupboards to a whole-ass townhome, especially after talking about how poorly she was paid teaching English.

Out of nowhere there was a wholly furnished townhome, $200 Smeg toaster and all, even before landing her job at SR. During the height of the pandemic, she clearly wasn't hurting financially because she was constantly shopping at Whole Foods (even making an entire video out of her $400 grocery haul) on seemingly one income - her husband didn't get his real estate license until August 2020.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.23.57.png

Fast forward to February 2022, they've survived the pandemic well enough to be able to pack up their entire lives to move to Florence, where they decide to start from scratch in an apartment that doesn't even have an installed kitchen. Sure, they were really "roughing it" on their nice inflatable couch and with no overhead lighting, but this isn't even their forever home and they have had to drop so much money on a customized kitchen that they probably can't even take with them when they move.

I'm not mad at her for having money, but let's be real. She does not come from anything less than an upper middle class background, and she clearly has had help along the way. She boasts a great amount of privilege, without which her life wouldn't be the way we see it online. Even down to receiving dual citizenship and initially moving to Italy to go to language school, these things cost A LOT (see: Zoey Arielle wasting thousands of dollars on her student visa but still cannot string a sentence together in Italian). It would just be nice for influencers to be more transparent about this kind of stuff.

By the way, Kacie Rose seems like the worst kind of expat, but maybe I'm just bitter because she never responded to me years ago when I reached out to her asking advice about US visas for Italians. She seems like an opportunist, trying to capitalize off the SM expat trend, and only wants to be around other influential people. If you make content about being an expat, I'd think you would be willing to help others on their expat journey, no? Or is that asking too much?

Thanks @emm for making this thread, I felt like I was annoying folks whenever I mentioned Sofie in the Kylie thread 😅

Back during her Rome phase (I think 2016 to 2019), I enjoyed watching Sofie as a counterbalance to her friend Zoey Arielle (who also has a thread here), since Zoey was incredibly ditzy and annoying in the way she misrepresented Italy as a perfect place - and not to mention her butchering of Italian at every opportunity to sound sophisticated. Sofie was "keeping it real", at least to an extent. She seemed to live pretty humbly, talked about the struggles of working in Italy as a foreigner, didn't pretend like Italy was a fairytale.

Sofie at least has some self-awareness about being an "influencer" and about how she portrays her life through the lens of social media. In the past she's made several posts and videos talking about her insecurities, sharing photos/videos of her face and body unfiltered, and saying she doesn't want her audience to compare their lives to hers or to feel inferior. A few months back she reposted something on Instagram stories to the effect of: "kids these days and their technology!".

But if she truly believed that, would she share as much of her life as she does? Does she say that just to excuse herself? I just find it odd that she tries to relate by saying "I get bloated too, my life isn't perfect, don't believe what you see on social media" when it is her literal job in PR/marketing to use social media to persuade people into buying Sunday Riley's products (which, sorry to say, still preys on women's insecurities no matter how green or hip your branding is), to make things "aesthetic" and picture-perfect. Since she's been in Florence, it's been nothing but vacations, spa trips, meals out, classy events with SR... with the occasional complaint about bureaucracy and crying about being away from family. I've found her less and less relatable in the last few years.

She moved back to Houston in 2019 because, I believe, they were starting to feel the strain of Italy's economic situation. She said they wanted to be able to raise a family in the US because it's much more stable. After their little flat in Rome, I was incredibly surprised to see them moving into (what looked like) a brand-new townhome in one of the country's biggest cities. I can't imagine going from a shabby little place in Rome with moths in the cupboards to a whole-ass townhome, especially after talking about how poorly she was paid teaching English.

Out of nowhere there was a wholly furnished townhome, $200 Smeg toaster and all, even before landing her job at SR. During the height of the pandemic, she clearly wasn't hurting financially because she was constantly shopping at Whole Foods (even making an entire video out of her $400 grocery haul) on seemingly one income - her husband didn't get his real estate license until August 2020.

View attachment 1902792

Fast forward to February 2022, they've survived the pandemic well enough to be able to pack up their entire lives to move to Florence, where they decide to start from scratch in an apartment that doesn't even have an installed kitchen. Sure, they were really "roughing it" on their nice inflatable couch and with no overhead lighting, but this isn't even their forever home and they have had to drop so much money on a customized kitchen that they probably can't even take with them when they move.

I'm not mad at her for having money, but let's be real. She does not come from anything less than an upper middle class background, and she clearly has had help along the way. She boasts a great amount of privilege, without which her life wouldn't be the way we see it online. Even down to receiving dual citizenship and initially moving to Italy to go to language school, these things cost A LOT (see: Zoey Arielle wasting thousands of dollars on her student visa but still cannot string a sentence together in Italian). It would just be nice for influencers to be more transparent about this kind of stuff.

By the way, Kacie Rose seems like the worst kind of expat, but maybe I'm just bitter because she never responded to me years ago when I reached out to her asking advice about US visas for Italians. She seems like an opportunist, trying to capitalize off the SM expat trend, and only wants to be around other influential people. If you make content about being an expat, I'd think you would be willing to help others on their expat journey, no? Or is that asking too much?
Interesting about you contacting KR! I always get the feeling she seems very fake.

I found the move strange also, and then when moving back to Italy selling a a lot of their kitchen stuff etc when most people in their kind of situation would basically give them away/sell it for very cheap. What is Sofie's husbnad's job now, does anyone know?

LinkedIn says he is “presently” a tour manager for EF Tours (which he did before they left Rome). Either he got that job back or just never changed his LinkedIn. Before that he was a sommelier and a tax lawyer.

Interesting about you contacting KR! I always get the feeling she seems very fake.

I found the move strange also, and then when moving back to Italy selling a a lot of their kitchen stuff etc when most people in their kind of situation would basically give them away/sell it for very cheap. What is Sofie's husbnad's job now, does anyone know?
I reached out to KR because she talked about her partner being able to come to the US on a visa that wasn’t for study or a K1, so I was interested in what that was. At the time my partner and I were just getting ready to start the K1 process and we wanted to explore all options. Guess we will never know!

By the way, talking about expats/Italian-American international couples, I am getting so annoyed about the “tormenting my Italian husband by doing weird stuff with food” TikTok trend (Carlo and Sarah, I’m looking at you).C&S are the worst about it because she also constantly films him saying silly things in English - his second language - and is always the butt of the joke, but we never get to see him poking fun at Sarah for saying Italian words wrong?
It smacks of an ugly thing some Americans do: making a joke out of foreigners, dehumanizing them, expecting them to immediately adapt to your culture/language while refusing to learn about the rest of the world.

My fiancé and I talked about doing a parody of these stupid accounts. then I found a TikTok of someone already doing it. Let me see if I can figure out how to post a TikTok video on here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
LinkedIn says he is “presently” a tour manager for EF Tours (which he did before they left Rome). Either he got that job back or just never changed his LinkedIn. Before that he was a sommelier and a tax lawyer.
I think that is still his job (got it back) since he's away for work for weeks at a time like when they were in Rome.

Your anecdote about contacting KR reminds me of when she did a mini rant about people contacting her and being disappointed in her. 😂 It was some time in the past year and I guess someone wrote her saying she would be alone in Florence while traveling or just arrived to study and could they meet up. I guess Kacie never replied and the girl wrote her again saying how rude since KR was out and about in town. So Kacie reposted this girl's message and went on about "boundaries." The other 2 from the Firenze Trinity (Sofie and that Danae Mercer) were with her at breakfast. My thought was since this person wasn't paying for a KR tour, she and others get ignored.

ETA: I never knew how Dario was able to work in a decent restaurant in NY. TBH, just a feeling I have, he will likely look again in the US or at least in northern Europe since Kacie really doesn't even seem to want to acclimate. Most of her dumb posts are about how much she loves and misses NYC or how she shouldn't have to change or how great it is in Copenhagen and Amsterdam or anywhere US (junk)food is available.

Also back to Sofie and your comments on her nice living spaces and such. She doesn't seem the type to buy fakes, and maybe they are...but she has a Cartier ring and I recently clocked a Chanel classic flap. It doesn't bother me, but it irritated me when she tries to defend her working hard and "manifesting".

Last edited:
Maybe this should be the Sofie and Kacie thread because Kacie is appearing to be much more gossip worthy! I am going to look for that video/post if I can, I want to see what she says.
For the record I never messaged her again, so that wasn’t me, but I’m glad I’m not the only one.
I’m sure at some threshold of followers/DMs, it becomes hard for Instagram influencers to respond to everything. But I’ve gotten responses from people like Sofie and Tia Taylor, it’s not like Kacie has a trillion subs and doesn’t spend her days on social media doing other work….

She does tours? Wonder how good they are if she doesn’t speak Italian. I feel like a modicum of Italian is necessary to organize your tours and interact with the local scene to ensure your tour attendees have a pleasant and authentic experience.

Oh I didn't mean it was you @moronglace lol. But it was a similar situation, only this girl was looking to hang out. It was in her Stories, but maybe she bookmarked it.

Kacie collaborates with a tour company and she is "the face." She's not a tour guide, but she rakes in clients via her socials and then goes to hang out with everyone. Like a tour leader, maybe, but even less so. They are typically to the Amalfi coast, Rome and Florence.

Sorry this turned into the KR thread. 😅 But like Kylie, I've only ever seen glowing comments online and nobody else seemed to find her irritating. And since she hangs out with Sofie ...haha

She doesn't. She's reading/memorized. She never speaks unless to order things. She's not a big zero, but she still can't communicate well with Dario's family. And I have no idea why she and Dario only speak English (spoiler: she's lazy).

I didn’t want to accuse her of memorizing but… yeaaaah 😅 It took me several years (including practice speaking with my fiancé) to finally feel comfortable communicating with his family, and even still I struggle with how to express myself. Okay, it’s a learning curve.
But if she cannot actually speak Italian to the degree she does in the video, I guess she can get away with pretending, since she doesn’t want to meet any followers in person if they aren’t other influencers.
Reminds me when Zoey Arielle said that she took a test at a language school (before she got her visa) and they told her she was “5 months away from fluency” LOL.

• Haha
I'm off to bed, but what do you all prefer seeing from Sofie?

I'd like more natural content. Dinner/cooking at home (with Emilio or friends. I agree with @emm watching her drink coffee or eat a salad is like watching anyone) or out in some restaurants, actual market shopping, sites around town--especially little corners not as well known. Day trips maybe. Leo and Barolo are cute, but I tire of her "walking the dog" stories so often.

I guess her job with Sunday Riley will always come into play, but I wish she would make an equal amount of content that isn't a GRWM (skincare) or evidently sponsored or such.

Ok now I’m getting confused. I don’t follow her closely so she DOES speak Italian?
She speaks very little considering how long she has been there imo, she is not at all a good ad for those language courses, she reminds me.of an ex colleague I had in Rome (also American) who having lived there 4 years couldn't even conjugate basic verbs. Painful to listen to

I like that Sofie speaks quite well, even picking up her husband/his family's calabrese accent more or less. Though she can sometimes be a bit vulgar, which always takes me by surprise lol. I curse in my daily life, but I wouldn't do it on a public platform lol.

I like that Sofie speaks quite well, even picking up her husband/his family's calabrese accent more or less. Though she can sometimes be a bit vulgar, which always takes me by surprise lol. I curse in my daily life, but I wouldn't do it on a public platform lol.
I don’t mind cursing, but thought it was hilarious a couple years ago when she admitted she had gone for a long time saying “minchia” without realizing how vulgar it is.

• Haha