Sober Curious tattlers support thread (Dry January and beyond!)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been struggling with the hangovers for about 3 years now. Last year it seemed to get better but it is back the same again... I am throwing up all the next day till about 11pm. It is horrible.

Even after a few quiet drinks with friends at home... It is ruining my weekends now... But it is so hard when everyone else loves to have an alcoholic beverage around you...

Has anyone got any tips forgoing sober etc.... I really really wish the pubs would hurry up and start suppling nicer/better non alcoholic options!
Maybe not the most helpful but since I stopped drinking 4 years ago I’ve found that I can be around people when they’re getting drunk and it not really bother me if I’m there from the start but if I go to meet up with people when they’re already drunk they get on my nerves and I tend to end up leaving 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I have been struggling with the hangovers for about 3 years now. Last year it seemed to get better but it is back the same again... I am throwing up all the next day till about 11pm. It is horrible.

Even after a few quiet drinks with friends at home... It is ruining my weekends now... But it is so hard when everyone else loves to have an alcoholic beverage around you...

Has anyone got any tips forgoing sober etc.... I really really wish the pubs would hurry up and start suppling nicer/better non alcoholic options!
Sounds something similar to me - I'd be hungover for 2 or 3 days after. Feeling tit and eating tit food. Gave up alcohol 2yrs ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.

I was worried about what friends etc would think but in reality nobody gives a tit. Yes there might be a bit of banter for a couple of minutes at the start of the night but in reality if they're really your friends they'll support your decision.

I drink Guinness 0.0 or Heineken 0.0 now on nights out. You blend in far better with the crowd that nobody actually notices you're not drinking alcohol. In the past if I sat with a Coke you stood out like a sore thumb.

Give it a try would be my suggestion or even alternate between alcohol and non-alcohol between rounds to drink a bit less.

I have just joined a group on MeetUp called Sober Girls.
They have calls every Tuesday @7pm and Saturday @9.30am.
Lovely bunch of supportive ladies.

Reactions: 5
Hi all! I’m joining this thread as I’ve realised (for about the 1000th time) that I need to get a handle on my drinking. For me it’s not social drinking but a few drinks on my own every night after work. It’s definitely impacting me negatively. Planning on going sober for the rest of April and taking things from there.

I have just joined a group on MeetUp called Sober Girls.
They have calls every Tuesday @7pm and Saturday @9.30am.
Lovely bunch of supportive ladies.
I’ve been looking at that group on Instagram, thinking of joining but it seems like it’s aimed at women in their 20s, not sure if I’d fit in being nearly 50! What would you say the age range is of the women in the group?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all! I’m joining this thread as I’ve realised (for about the 1000th time) that I need to get a handle on my drinking. For me it’s not social drinking but a few drinks on my own every night after work. It’s definitely impacting me negatively. Planning on going sober for the rest of April and taking things from there.

I’ve been looking at that group on Instagram, thinking of joining but it seems like it’s aimed at women in their 20s, not sure if I’d fit in being nearly 50! What would you say the age range is of the women in the group?
Welcome and congrats on taking this step to help yourself feel better! Highly recommend the I Am Sober app to help you keep count of days and calories and MONEY saved. Think of a nice sober treat to get yourself one you reach a milestone.

I will say though, that the magic didn’t start to reveal itself for me until the 6 week mark but any time is worth getting under your belt. Enjoy! 🌸

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Welcome and congrats on taking this step to help yourself feel better! Highly recommend the I Am Sober app to help you keep count of days and calories and MONEY saved. Think of a nice sober treat to get yourself one you reach a milestone.

I will say though, that the magic didn’t start to reveal itself for me until the 6 week mark but any time is worth getting under your belt. Enjoy! 🌸
Thank you so much! The time feels right for change - spring is in the air (sometimes at least!) and I've just started HRT to try and get a hold on my perimenopausal symptoms, so why would I want to sabotage that with drinking?

Thanks for the app rec, downloading now :) The one thing I need is accountability, living on my own it's so easy to just think 'what the hell' and get a bottle of wine, so it's great to have this space here on Tattle. Looking forward to reading through this thread after work!

Reactions: 2

welcome along ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
The one thing I need is accountability, living on my own it's so easy to just think 'what the hell' and get a bottle of wine,
I live on my own as well, and I found it helpful to switch the narrative. Home is my space, free from alcohol and the constant bombardment of the stuff from the minute we leave the house. I don't drink, so I don't buy alcohol. I don't have to negotiate someone else's drinking, it's not in the fridge, confronting me every time I open the door.

Reactions: 5
I do enjoy reading here but wondered if anybody could recommend any social media groups to join?

Reactions: 1
I will be three months in on Sunday. It genuinely doesn’t cross my mind to drink now. I even went on holiday and wasn’t tempted. It is freeing. My husband has joined in. One thing I have noticed, we don’t generate as much rubbish, our bins are emptier!

• Heart
I will be three months in on Sunday. It genuinely doesn’t cross my mind to drink now. I even went on holiday and wasn’t tempted. It is freeing. My husband has joined in. One thing I have noticed, we don’t generate as much rubbish, our bins are emptier!
Love that! And you haven’t had to lug all those bottles and cans from the shop. Winning!