Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
THREAD TITLE

Reactions: 8
I'm watching The Handmaid's Tale. A dystopian future seems very on-brand for this thread.

Reactions: 19
Yes! Blitz your shrooms, but then do as Ottolenghi (Helloed Be His Name) does for his spicy mushroom lasagne and bake them off near the top of a really hot oven. Oh my
Ottolenghi’s Mushroom Traybake Ragu is also amazing. I would highly recommend.

Reactions: 15
@That Forensic Man I am aghast - I honestly thought you picked one of her easiest, foolproof recipes, and even that turned out shit!

I have loved the flurry of slop today. Well done tender ninnies. I’ll be making mine sometime the week after next - I reckon we have plenty more slop to last till Christmas. A Slopvent calendar if you will. Go well, pals X

Reactions: 36
Added for you tender one x
Here's the eggs. WARNED.

View media item 3361
Oooh lovely. Snotty eggs. Just what you want to choke down of a morning. There's the option to cast that clip to my TV but phone sized is quite enough thankyou.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing proper egg in a cup. I love mashed hard boiled eggs on buttered toast. Hot buttery seasoned eggs and toast sounds delicious.

Reactions: 23
Did you “shake generously” dear heart?

Reactions: 19
Love the "shit arm, bad tattoo" reference.

Reactions: 22
OMG your photos! I couldn’t stop laughing. This thread is way better than anything on the telly.

Reactions: 25
Incidentally if getting eggs just so is your nemesis then Queen Delia's guide 'How To Boil An Egg' is fool proof.

Reactions: 26
Following the stellar example of many of you wonderful ninnies, I’ve made a donation to my local foodbank.

(Edited to remove )

Last edited:
I admit I started off owl champagning all over the shop at this thread but now I’m feeling a little depressed by how terrible every recipe actually is. Thank god for all you wonderful frauen und herren posting your donations because there needs to be something positive to come out of this vile slopfest.

Reactions: 44
Ottolenghi’s Mushroom Traybake Ragu is also amazing. I would highly recommend.
That’s in the same book, Flavour, isn’t it? It looks delicious; I’ll try it from your rec. Also from Flavour, the aubergine dumplings are incredible, and use a similar baking method with chunks of aubergine as the lasagne does with mushrooms, which is a good go to as a do-something-with-aubergines-for-later-while-the-oven’s-on thing. (One daft thing about the aubergine recipe is it calls for 1 1/2 tins of tomatoes for the sauce. Let me tell you I’ve used two tins both times I’ve cooked it and I’m still here.)

Thank you so much for this thread, talented Fraus. Weirdly, it’s turning out to be somewhere to learn about good cooking.

(Not you, Jack.)

Reactions: 25

There are no non-church/non-Trussell Trust food banks around here but the local community church runs a no-questions-asked food bank.

I don’t pay currently pay tax, so no gift aid.

Reactions: 39
It’s very true - part of the attraction for me was due to low energy. I wasnt broke, but we all like to save a bit. Plus with her “recipes” being pared back and eliminating unnecessary faff (such as cooking out the flour in a roux) they seemed ideal for me.
I was making my own veg lasagne when her “bung it all in” method ruined my white sauce and I was too tired to finish the lasagne.

Reactions: 26
Good idea perhaps S - Stolen, don't want to give Jack the credit of a 6 if it ain't hers!

@binkbonk what's your rating for the Sweet n' sour pickin balls?
and @ContentCrunch for the Breakfast sardines, egg & spinach?
I recorded the whole cooking process and have been editing the video together but I'm BUSY so will write up a review during my commute tomorrow x

Grunking from the past to say that this picture actually reminds me of one of the side effects of my cancer treatment there is no bloody way (pun intended) I would have eaten that on even my most desperate days.

Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.