Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly, I just want to say thanks to the mithering ninnies who have recreated these recipes at a personal financial cost, and time cost too.
The write-ups are the funniest things I’ve read in ages and it’s done wonders for my mental health in what is normally a really difficult time of year for me.
You’re angels, the lot of you xx

Reactions: 86
I don’t know why but I am crying laughing at your strangely artistic aerial photos of rinsed beans and hoops. They should be on Jack’s patreon postcards.

Reactions: 44
You’re a brave frau trying the workslop version and carrying it in on a bike. Eating it out of a work mug might bring a whole new meaning to hot-desking.

Reactions: 35
It's bicarb, aka sodium hydrogen carbonate. Although it gets given a date it will last forever providing it's kept dry (which those tubs are excellent at). So I too applaud your thrifty nature.

Reactions: 33
I forgot about this place. This really is a hellsite. Its where dreams of nice food comes to die. Also HI.

Reactions: 47
Dearest frauen and herren, I salute your bravery in making these recipes for the slopalong and I have been along as I’ve been reading. Thank (space) you for your sacrifice and may the lord (not really cos I’m an atheist lol) have mercy on the souls of your kitchens.

Suprisinging nobody, she's lying. The only time mackerel is mentioned in TCC is in the "cansplaining" section.

Attachments

Reactions: 21
This is why I can’t bring myself to join in. The thought of putting actual effort in to making someone inedible makes me sad.
Me too Nonah. It's a combination of not being brave enough to try something I know will be disgusting, but mainly it's the waste of valuable pounds and pennies on trying this dire shit out.

Tonight I will be raging against Jack by having some unrinsed spaghetti hoops on toast, with some cheese. A small Heinz tin is 79p these days you know Jack.

Rinsing hoops. RINSING hoops. Fucking insaniac.

Pasta e ceci, the real thing:
1 tbsp of oil
1 garlic clove, cooked until golden then removed
1 tin (or two if making more) chickpeas, unrinsed and dropped in the pan, water and all - you could cook your own if you want, up to you
1 sprig fresh rosemary - 1tsp dried if no fresh available
Add 500ml ish of water, bring to the boil
When boiling, add a handful or two (depending how many you are cooking for) of broken spaghetti (little bits!)
Lower the heat, cook until pasta is AL DENTE, you might need to add a bit of boiling water
Remove rosemary, serve with black pepper and a drizzle of oil.
There you go. 20 minutes? 25? And it's vegan, filling and delicious.

Reactions: 26
Jack Monroe's pina colada bread, phase 1.
We start by checking Mr Beacon's fingernails, upon which I send him for another session with the nailbrush.

According to the recipe, the first step is to activate the yeast. Never mind that everyone uses easyblend yeast, which doesn't need it, we follow the recipe to the letter

There follows a brief marital argument where Mr Beacon mislays his posh wanker meat thermometer, and then insists I Google to convert 40C into Fahrenheit because apparently he's now from the 50s.
He adds this suspicously warm water to the yeast and gives it a stir.

Oh dear.

next, we must blitz the coconut milk,another 100ml of water and the drained pineapple chunks. I drink the pineapple juice, it is delicious (I suspect it's the only thing about this recipe that is...)half the flour, the suspiciously silent yeast and blended slop are added together. Jack recommends muddying mixing it with a knife but Mr Beacon soon finds it too annoying so we switch to her alternative suggestion of using the handle of a wooden spoon. Kudos to her, it works quite well.In goes the rest of the flour. At this point it is still very wet. Never mind - it's time to knead! Mr Beacon taps out at this point and makes me do it, the coward. We chuck loads of flour on the worktop and basically pour it out.

Oh dear.

iit's impossible to knead. Far too wet, and because it's self raising flour it's really hard to get any kind of work going. I ignore Jack's remarkably specific instructions about kneading and just do my best to smear it to and fro.
After adding the entire rest of the bag of flour, it is solid enough to be called a dough. I squidge it into the bowl, and it's now in the sorting cupboard for a few hours. Which is as long as it's going to take me to scrape all the dough off the worktop, my hands etc etc

Reactions: 90
The silent courgette cake is in! Raw it tastes of sadness and despair, there is not enough sugar in it. I always have a taste of whatever cake I'm making raw, the parkin last week was so delicious I scraped the bowl out, this I dipped a little finger in it, tasted it and had to have a drink of water to get rid of the taste.

I'll post pics when it comes out of the oven in 45(!!!) Mins

Reactions: 59
I always suspected I’d found my people on the JM thread but now I KNOW IT thank (space) you all

Reactions: 55
Have bookmarked this. It sounds like a sensible version of one of the weird concoctions my OH used to make when he came home drunk before Deliveroo was invented.

Reactions: 24
She never made that either, did she? I knew the dough was going to be too wet...
And if you are new to baking, you'll just assume you did it wrong.

Reactions: 42

It looks like dog vomit Well done for actually managing to taste it without gagging.

All of you brave Frauen und Herren taking on these recipes deserve medals, or perhaps a free stomach pumping?!

Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.