Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone tried the Energy Saving Cassoulet yet?

I was going to make something sausage-stew related this weekend anyway, and am fully prepared to wrap up a casserole dish in my dressing gown as part of the cooking process. In the interests of THE SLOPALONG, and of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH.
Not to discourage any of the good Slopalong energy, but this recipe has pork in it. Taking partially cooked pork out of the oven and leaving it to cool for a while - no, I don't believe Jack's claims that it will continue to cook inside the dressing gown - can be really dangerous. https://www.webmd.com/diet/is-it-safe-to-eat-rare-pork

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Not to discourage any of the good Slopalong energy, but this recipe has pork in it. Taking partially cooked pork out of the oven and leaving it to cool for a while - no, I don't believe Jack's claims that it will continue to cook inside the dressing gown - can be really dangerous. https://www.webmd.com/diet/is-it-safe-to-eat-rare-pork
There is a thing called a Hay Box, an ancient method of cookery, where the cooking pot is heated up to boiling point, then put in a box thickly insulated with hay for several hours to finish cooking in that extremely well insulated environment, they were still doing it in rural places during WW2 to save on fuel and it seemed to work okay.

I 100% agree that a dressing gown is not a hay box though, and it's insulating properties will be nowhere near as good..

Nevertheless, I am going to do it. But I am going to do it WITH SCIENCE.

I have a Digital Thermometer Probe and am going to pop the probe into the casserole dish and monitor the ongoing temperature over the next couple of hours. I might even plot it on a graph. And will only taste it if the pork sausage has hit 75C for at least 10 minutes, I have no desire for my obituary to read "Lostcat died of e coli in the pursuit of internet hilarity".

I have other concerns about the recipe for the Sausage & Bean Cassoulet regarding the cooking/cooling/recooking of the sausages, and the reheating of them for leftovers, but will go into that once I've made the darn thing on Sunday.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
My partner has for so long struggled to understand why I have such a problem with Jack Monroe despite my ranting and raving (I think she just doesnā€™t listen to me in all honesty) but the slopalong has been an absolute revelation to her - chapeau ninnies! She even gets into bed at night and asks ā€œany new slops today?!ā€ (I know, I know, really sexy pillow talk). She totally gets NOW why I think JM is a fraud. However, she has just caught me intently watching a mug spin round in an internet strangerā€™s microwave and I think she thinks Iā€™ve fully lost it. šŸ¤£ This thread is GENIUS, thanks guys ā¤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
My partner has for so long struggled to understand why I have such a problem with Jack Monroe despite my ranting and raving (I think she just doesnā€™t listen to me in all honesty) but the slopalong has been an absolute revelation to her - chapeau ninnies! She even gets into bed at night and asks ā€œany new slops today?!ā€ (I know, I know, really sexy pillow talk). She totally gets NOW why I think JM is a fraud. However, she has just caught me intently watching a mug spin round in an internet strangerā€™s microwave and I think she thinks Iā€™ve fully lost it. šŸ¤£ This thread is GENIUS, thanks guys ā¤
Happy to be of service and properly laughing out loud. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Microwave mini egg snow balls hot chocolate

Part 1
Substitution of mini eggs with snow balls suggested by @Lostcat, merci x
It calls for 8 mini eggs at 3.3g each so 26.4g
The snow balls are 3.9g each so 7 does the trick, but what's 1 snow ball between friends
These j1g msg scales are really handy

20221117_220639.jpg

20221117_220753.jpg

When I was banging on about 200ml not being a proper mug here's the proof, mug on the left is a bog standard size, it ain't full. My proper hot choccy mug on the right is about half full šŸ˜”

20221117_220855.jpg
20221117_220922.jpg

It says microwave the milk (200ml) and mini eggs for 60 seconds on half power, stir then repeat thrice more.
As predicted it was just warm so I put it on high for another minute.
Finished article including 'bits' left over, they were mushy rather than hard shell pieces left and weren't keen on dissolving. I assume mini eggs would be similar.

20221117_221745.jpg

20221117_221758.jpg
20221117_221846.jpg

The drink itself is another 3 - middle class, but it's not as good as the peanut butter hot chocolate version. Again can't call it terrible despite not enough heating time.
I had enough milk and snow balls to make a second batch to fill my big mug so "dangerously doubled" up.
Not sure I would choose to do it this way again, between the two recipes I would probably go for 300ml milk, 100ml water with 6+ squares and a tbsp peanut butter.
But I have had some nefarious ideas with other chocolates, watch this space šŸ‘Øā€šŸ”¬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Good morning all, donation made today, on pay day as promised. Turns out all the food banks near me are Trussell so I donated to a local homelessness charity instead, because duck Trussell and their JM enabling. Thereā€™s the spirit!

Thanks for all you do, sloppers.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Uncooked flour can harbour e.coli. if her cake recipes are causing uncooked batter that's more danger jack to contend with.
So basically the majority of her cake/sauce based recipes then, She never cooks the flour hence her sauce never thickens šŸ™„

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Microwave mini egg snow balls hot chocolate

Part 1
Substitution of mini eggs with snow balls suggested by @Lostcat, merci x
It calls for 8 mini eggs at 3.3g each so 26.4g
The snow balls are 3.9g each so 7 does the trick, but what's 1 snow ball between friends
These j1g msg scales are really handy

View attachment 1739088
View attachment 1739089

When I was banging on about 200ml not being a proper mug here's the proof, mug on the left is a bog standard size, it ain't full. My proper hot choccy mug on the right is about half full šŸ˜”

View attachment 1739090View attachment 1739091

It says microwave the milk (200ml) and mini eggs for 60 seconds on half power, stir then repeat thrice more.
As predicted it was just warm so I put it on high for another minute.
Finished article including 'bits' left over, they were mushy rather than hard shell pieces left and weren't keen on dissolving. I assume mini eggs would be similar.

View attachment 1739092
View attachment 1739093View attachment 1739094

The drink itself is another 3 - middle class, but it's not as good as the peanut butter hot chocolate version. Again can't call it terrible despite not enough heating time.
I had enough milk and snow balls to make a second batch to fill my big mug so "dangerously doubled" up.
Not sure I would choose to do it this way again, between the two recipes I would probably go for 300ml milk, 100ml water with 6+ squares and a tbsp peanut butter.
But I have had some nefarious ideas with other chocolates, watch this space šŸ‘Øā€šŸ”¬
I have mug envy

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I actually had a dream/memory of making her carrot/lentil/onion dip last night.
My main memory was it was claggy and didnā€™t taste of much. I think it went straight in the bin.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Itā€™s slop oā€™clock, slop fans!

Today Iā€™m baking Lardy Buns, which just so happens to be my new pet name for myself. Iā€™ve gone with the recipe from Cooking On A Bootstrap which favours plain flour and yeast, as opposed to variations online where she unfathomably uses both self raising AND yeast. I want this recipe to actually work so Iā€™m going for what appears to be the more sensible version.

C1B9310F-632E-4BEE-8637-EC7A756D4564.jpeg

I had everything except the lard which was 41p
She starts off by blooming her yeast in warm water before adding it to the ingredients. Seems a bit of an arse about tit way of doing it. Why not just add it to the dry ingredients and then add the warm water to the bowl like you would in any other recipe? Unnecessary faffing.
7FF82A78-444E-488A-B2A4-94C92B4FF2B3.jpeg

Made my well which she explains is a ā€œsort of holeā€. So helpful. So forensic.
FFEB9E77-74CC-49D3-ABCB-7AD516474821.jpeg

Then I added the yeast water, butter and lard. So, so much lard. And the rest of the water to get a dough.
2B909FBF-B850-40CB-8C6F-BDDD9E26D776.jpeg

It did smell nice and cinamonny at this point but I honestly canā€™t emphasis how much of this mass is just pure lard. I did some kneading and the dough came together nice and easily. Felt springy, as she described. At this stage, itā€™s all quite orokising
ED9CF185-9F68-4053-94D5-C8B38E04705C.jpeg

Back in the bowl and left to prove, covered over and left somewhere warm. The instructions are much better than the woeful proving instructions that went with the horrendous courgette bread.
Here it is before proving.
3C312994-CD5E-4C10-881E-351DEACD517A.jpeg

And after - she says to leave it for an hour or until doubled in size. It probably took
E1DED02E-9216-4FA9-BF06-632998E10039.jpeg

Then itā€™s time to form the buns by rolling the dough out, cutting into strips and rolling up.
5CA8EFF9-0045-473D-B289-061C442C7E7E.jpeg

B38FA5DB-D154-4638-85CD-F6DDEE358223.jpeg

The recipe is meant to make six buns but as you can see, I got a couple of wee ones too. She then says you can brush with egg if you want. I am a fancy gal so I did some brushing and itā€™s just as well, because the next instruction is to sprinkle with sugar and without the egg wash, I canā€™t see how the sugar would cost the buns. They arenā€™t particularly sticky to touch.
62353448-2FDD-4A74-B5F7-35132E91D19F.jpeg

5E413AE3-4416-4338-A52A-8A8832727D8C.jpeg
The recipe calls for 50g of sugar - this is so much sugar to sprinkle on this many buns, but what do I know?
CB42DD6E-47AC-4C29-936B-76880A99E26F.jpeg
So much sugar.
Into the oven they go

Some early investigations revealed they were quite underdone in the middle so I stuck them back in for a bit. The resulting buns are a bit overdone on the outside but at least the lardy innards are cooked through.

96934881-56E2-4859-BF0E-4BCC8CFAF6F3.jpeg

taste test to followā€¦

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
So here they are - not overly offensive looking
2A138DEA-D5CA-485C-A4B8-B1466C3B2AB7.jpeg

the small ones are basically rock hard missiles that could smash a window with a flick of the wrist

The bigger ones are hard on the outside but still quite soft in the middle. Very stodgy. They donā€™t hold together particularly well. They taste of cinamon and sugar. They are basically ok?

Can I give them a 2.5?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
So here they are - not overly offensive looking
View attachment 1741302

the small ones are basically rock hard missiles that could smash a window with a flick of the wrist

The bigger ones are hard on the outside but still quite soft in the middle. Very stodgy. They donā€™t hold together particularly well. They taste of cinamon and sugar. They are basically ok?

Can I give them a 2.5?

View attachment 1741321
This makes me sad, a properly made Lardy cake is an unctuous, flaky decadent treat.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27