Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The intro!! Fuck me she's deluded, that's really made me laugh. What a bellend.

Reactions: 24
Now, despite it looking like a bowl of pot pourri at you nans house, jacks claims it is just like normal belly pork and her guests (allegedly) couldn't tell the difference.
Ah, but it’s just like her normal belly pork; the one she served up alongside, the slippery sloppery get-out clause minx. I wonder how she prepared that. Really makes you think.

Reactions: 14
This might actually be one of the most poorly constructed, convoluted and overwrought sentences I’ve ever read, and yet she’s so pleased with herself.

I am begging someone, anyone, Jack, Carol, Rosemary, @CarolineWhoHasHands: get a frigging editor who is good at their job.

Reactions: 41
Incredible work and commitment to the cause, liebe Frau. And I am never going to forget the word "bollocknaise" as long as I live

Reactions: 26
Apologies I can't find dal makhani, I'm slow on replying to messages tonight. migraine.
Hope you're feeling better today, dear heart x

Well the Dal Makhani recipe is a bit of a mystery.

It's listed in the Wiki under Cooking on a Bootstrap (as Makhani Dal) but I'm struggling to find it anywhere online other than the BBC Food website. It's mentioned as being one of the dishes in the 'Five for Five'ebook she did for Oxfam but I can't track a copy down.

Lads, I have a confession to make ...

I've just realised I did a chaos when I was cooking yesterday and misread the recipe. I put double the amount of garlic and ginger paste in because I read it as 2 tbsp of each rather than 2 tbsp of a ginger and garlic paste (ready mixed). I've also realised I accidentally used a (larger) serving spoon to measure out the curry powder rather than a tablespoon

What a fuck up (and I was sober at that point). I'm going to 'do a Jack' and blame it on my son for distracting me by causing me to rant about the grifting.

I should have realised something was wrong when the dish had heat and depth of taste.

Anyway, bearing in mind I added way more spice and flavour than I should, my award of 4 is most likely highly inaccurate. I don't have the time, ingredients or willpower to make it again so I think it's best if it's just deleted from the Wiki. I'll report my recipe post and ask for it to be deleted because I don't want to mislead any Fraus who are hoping for a decent recipe.

I'm such a twat

ETA: Have removed it from the Wiki and self-reported my recipe post

Last edited:
Reactions: 62
Aw no! That’s a shame.

Reactions: 15
How does she use 3 pans for lasagne? There’s the meat sauce, the bechamel… why does she make 3 pans dirty? Or is she just (gasp) lying for dramatic effect?

Reactions: 25
Aw no! That’s a shame.
I don't usually measure things out when cooking, I do it by eye but was determined to stick to the recipe (haha). I got what I thought was a tablespoon out to measure the curry powder but realised this morning that I'd used a larger spoon. With the garlic and ginger paste I misread it as 2 tablespoons each so I squeezed just under half of an 80g tube of each into the pan.

On the plus side, my version tasted pretty decent

Reactions: 26
Oh dear, we could downgrade it to a 3? Or maybe someone else wants to try it? I like daal and kidney beans so I wouldn’t mind giving it a go sometime.

Reactions: 13
I’m sure it was. It really put me in the mood for dal makhani yesterday so I also made this bought the M&S one for £3. I’m not a fan of ready meals, but that is one absolutely banging dish. 9/10 would recommend.

Reactions: 18
Oh dear, we could downgrade it to a 3? Or maybe someone else wants to try it? I like daal and kidney beans so I wouldn’t mind giving it a go sometime.
I was debating about downgrading it to a 3 but felt that would be cheating. For all I know it could have ended up as a 2 if I'd done it properly It seems more honest to just expunge it from the thread/Wiki.

Yes, tender one - do give it a go. Properly. Unlike me.

I don't know what was wrong with my eyesight yesterday, monumental cock up!

Reactions: 17
I’ve assembled my ingredients but I simply cannot face it. Going out for a lovely lunch with my family and will attempt to make it this evening when I can have a glass (pint) of wine to take the edges off knowing I am most likely making something wasteful and inedible, or stranger still - edible!

Reactions: 32
Even the ingredients look sinister for this one.

Reactions: 33
See, I thought it was strange that one of recipes was actually edible... The accidental right amount of spices made all the difference.

Reactions: 27
I am back from holiday and about to shop for the slopalong ingredients for the Carbrie-nara and Roman pasta with mandarins. Regretting my life choices right about now.

Bet you are all looking forward to it a lot more than Mr McHaggis whose response when I explained the afternoon's events was something along the the lines of "Why the fuck would you cook that?" Good job we've been married a long time.

Feeling a bit of performance pressure if I'm honest - the slopalongs have been so good!!

Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.