Slimming world

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember a SW account, she was called Grace/Gracey and from Barnsley. She lost sooo much weight and got down to a size 6, but then gained more weight again. Cannot for the life of me find her on Insta anymore!

Reactions: 3
Does anyone remember a SW account, she was called Grace/Gracey and from Barnsley. She lost sooo much weight and got down to a size 6, but then gained more weight again. Cannot for the life of me find her on Insta anymore!
She’s private now. Gained some weight, had a gorgeous Baby and then seems to be at a ‘normal’ weight. No dieting on her page now.

Reactions: 3
I wasn't sure of the general attitude towards SW vs CC on this page so I've held off commenting.
Here goes; SW fucked me up. Big style. My mum joined SW, had previously been on WW but it wasn't working anymore. A colleague lost weight on SW so my mum decided she would too. My mum has always been on a diet. I have grown up around a woman who calls food 'good' and 'bad' and is absolutely obsessed with how much she weighs. My mum lost 3st initially which was great and I loved that it made her seem happy so I decided to join SW with her when I was 20/21 (I can't remember because, frankly, I don't want to)

I thought being 'skinny' would be the answer to all my problems. The consultant always went on about how 'happy' everyone will be once they are 'skinny' or their 'goal weight'. I lost 2.5st, eventually got down to 10st 8lb which should've made me happy. But I wasn't. I was terrified of putting ANY weight on. I was terrified to go out with friends, would turn down lovely, delicious food at my boyfriends house because I couldn't control how it was made or what the ingredients where. I specifically recall working all day Saturdays and not eating (I worked at Asda, very full on and exhausting) so that I could 'save myself' for going out and getting drunk that night. I was no longer in control, SW was. I weighed myself everyday, sometimes multiple times. Even the 'free' and 'speed' food made me feel this consuming guilt that I was eating 'too much'. There was an event in group in which people wrote 'inspirational' things (centred around losing weight) and stuck them to this big board. One woman wrote 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. This quote is used widely in the pro-anorexia community and was famously said by Kate Moss during her battle with anorexia. That quote stayed on that board until I decided to leave SW over a year later. I went on holiday at this 'goal weight' and I expected to feel confident and gloriously happy, like my consultant promised I would.

However, I still hid away because I still felt 'too fat'. Anyway, life progressed and I started to see through the plan. Things that didn't make sense, for example the blended fruit not being free and the Muller Light saga where they magically gained syns over night. I still went to SW, paid money to stand on a scale because my mum did. How could I explain to my mum that SW was impacting my mental health in such a way? We aren't the sort of family that talk about serious things like that. I don't even think my mum or dad believe mental health issues are real. Lockdown came, the first one, and I STILL did the Zoom meetings, still transferred this woman who didn't really care about me £2.75 (reduced fee) to weigh on my own scale and sit on a video call with women I didn't like who, actually, really annoyed me. Then the opportunity came, the consultant was leaving. And I knew, that was my chance to leave too. So I did, I said to my mum (terrified, may I add) that I was leaving SW because it was affecting me negatively (she still doesn't know about the borderline ED part of it all) After leaving I spent time eating food as I wanted, when I wanted and actually enjoying myself for the first time in almost 3 years. I did put all the weight back on, but that's fine! I would rather weigh more and be happy because being 'skinny' made me miserable.

A few weeks ago I decided, mainly out of curiosity, to look at how many calories I ate a day. I never intended to start CC. I realised I wasn't eating nearly enough for my body. Most days I sat at around 1000 calories which, I'm sure I don't need to point out, is extremely unhealthy. Because I always thought that the less you ate, the more weight you would lose. I did this for a week and then the week after I decided to weigh myself and start CC but in a lighter way, I didn't want to fall back into the SW trap and the control that had over me. I don't track when I go out, don't track my drinks (I mainly drink diet anyway) and definitely don't count alcohol. I'm not as in to the losing weight side as I once was and eat what I want mostly, just in better moderation. in 2 weeks I have lost 2.5lbs. I think that's pretty sustainable. SW was not the dream I was sold it to me. One day I hope to convert my mum to CC. SW is not working for her anymore.

SW does work for some people, but I don't believe that it is sustainable for long time use. I believe it is like a drug you need to wean off of, it's a safety blanked to go under when you lose trust in yourself. The woman with the Kate Moss quote quit SW and now does CC. I fully expect backlash for this comment but I needed to share my experience somewhere

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
I wasn't sure of the general attitude towards SW vs CC on this page so I've held off commenting.
Here goes; SW fucked me up. Big style. My mum joined SW, had previously been on WW but it wasn't working anymore. A colleague lost weight on SW so my mum decided she would too. My mum has always been on a diet. I have grown up around a woman who calls food 'good' and 'bad' and is absolutely obsessed with how much she weighs. My mum lost 3st initially which was great and I loved that it made her seem happy so I decided to join SW with her when I was 20/21 (I can't remember because, frankly, I don't want to)

I thought being 'skinny' would be the answer to all my problems. The consultant always went on about how 'happy' everyone will be once they are 'skinny' or their 'goal weight'. I lost 2.5st, eventually got down to 10st 8lb which should've made me happy. But I wasn't. I was terrified of putting ANY weight on. I was terrified to go out with friends, would turn down lovely, delicious food at my boyfriends house because I couldn't control how it was made or what the ingredients where. I specifically recall working all day Saturdays and not eating (I worked at Asda, very full on and exhausting) so that I could 'save myself' for going out and getting drunk that night. I was no longer in control, SW was. I weighed myself everyday, sometimes multiple times. Even the 'free' and 'speed' food made me feel this consuming guilt that I was eating 'too much'. There was an event in group in which people wrote 'inspirational' things (centred around losing weight) and stuck them to this big board. One woman wrote 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. This quote is used widely in the pro-anorexia community and was famously said by Kate Moss during her battle with anorexia. That quote stayed on that board until I decided to leave SW over a year later. I went on holiday at this 'goal weight' and I expected to feel confident and gloriously happy, like my consultant promised I would.

However, I still hid away because I still felt 'too fat'. Anyway, life progressed and I started to see through the plan. Things that didn't make sense, for example the blended fruit not being free and the Muller Light saga where they magically gained syns over night. I still went to SW, paid money to stand on a scale because my mum did. How could I explain to my mum that SW was impacting my mental health in such a way? We aren't the sort of family that talk about serious things like that. I don't even think my mum or dad believe mental health issues are real. Lockdown came, the first one, and I STILL did the Zoom meetings, still transferred this woman who didn't really care about me £2.75 (reduced fee) to weigh on my own scale and sit on a video call with women I didn't like who, actually, really annoyed me. Then the opportunity came, the consultant was leaving. And I knew, that was my chance to leave too. So I did, I said to my mum (terrified, may I add) that I was leaving SW because it was affecting me negatively (she still doesn't know about the borderline ED part of it all) After leaving I spent time eating food as I wanted, when I wanted and actually enjoying myself for the first time in almost 3 years. I did put all the weight back on, but that's fine! I would rather weigh more and be happy because being 'skinny' made me miserable.

A few weeks ago I decided, mainly out of curiosity, to look at how many calories I ate a day. I never intended to start CC. I realised I wasn't eating nearly enough for my body. Most days I sat at around 1000 calories which, I'm sure I don't need to point out, is extremely unhealthy. Because I always thought that the less you ate, the more weight you would lose. I did this for a week and then the week after I decided to weigh myself and start CC but in a lighter way, I didn't want to fall back into the SW trap and the control that had over me. I don't track when I go out, don't track my drinks (I mainly drink diet anyway) and definitely don't count alcohol. I'm not as in to the losing weight side as I once was and eat what I want mostly, just in better moderation. in 2 weeks I have lost 2.5lbs. I think that's pretty sustainable. SW was not the dream I was sold it to me. One day I hope to convert my mum to CC. SW is not working for her anymore.

SW does work for some people, but I don't believe that it is sustainable for long time use. I believe it is like a drug you need to wean off of, it's a safety blanked to go under when you lose trust in yourself. The woman with the Kate Moss quote quit SW and now does CC. I fully expect backlash for this comment but I needed to share my experience somewhere
I totally agree with what your saying! I do follow slimming world and its worked for me i lost over four stone BUT my relationship with food is awful im now basically scared to eat anything which isnt ‘SW friendly’ with the fear of putting weight on. I decline going out for dinner with friends,If they go to the pub i’ll only have water or a diet coke. Or im the total oposite and i’ll binge BIG time 🤦🏽‍♀️

I know i need to step away from SW but its been my biggest comfort for so long as its the only thing thats helped me to loose weight.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

You don't deserve any backlash for this.

I was in a similar position, I ended up with disordered eating from SW. I feel I'm fully recovered but it was a long process.

You will start to feel normal, I promise. I eat white bread now and feel no guilt. Someone said "guilt isn't an ingredient, don't add it!"

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I totally agree with what your saying! I do follow slimming world and its worked for me i lost over four stone BUT my relationship with food is awful im now basically scared to eat anything which isnt ‘SW friendly’ with the fear of putting weight on. I decline going out for dinner with friends,If they go to the pub i’ll only have water or a diet coke. Or im the total oposite and i’ll binge BIG time 🤦🏽‍♀️

I know i need to step away from SW but its been my biggest comfort for so long as its the only thing thats helped me to loose weight.
I know, it's hard to step back isn't it? But if you want to, you can do it. You can loose weight on your own, just like I am managing to now. Granted losing 2.5lb in 2 weeks isn't nearly as satisfying as losing 7lb in 2 weeks like I did on SW but at least I feel like I can eat now. You can do it if you want it. I'm sure there's people on here and on the weightloss and healthy living thread who can support you 🥰🥰

Reactions: 6
I know, it's hard to step back isn't it? But if you want to, you can do it. You can loose weight on your own, just like I am managing to now. Granted losing 2.5lb in 2 weeks isn't nearly as satisfying as losing 7lb in 2 weeks like I did on SW but at least I feel like I can eat now. You can do it if you want it. I'm sure there's people on here and on the weightloss and healthy living thread who can support you 🥰🥰
Thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1

What a fantastic post (not the struggles you had but the complete 180 in your thinking).
I found I was getting into a terrible binge cycle with SW and I’ve tried CC and I know it works but I’m struggling so so much with the binge eating however this week I decided to invest in myself. I’ve joined a CrossFit gym (I weigh 240lbs and I’m 5ft! So I’m surprising myself what I can actually do there). I’ve invested in a PT package too. I’m not putting too much pressure on myself and I have my first therapy session for the binge eating in 2 weeks. I’m not saying SW caused my disordered eating but the whole ‘all or nothing’ attitude that’s thrown around in group just messed with my head

• Heart
Reactions: 14
You don't deserve any backlash for this.

I was in a similar position, I ended up with disordered eating from SW. I feel I'm fully recovered but it was a long process.

You will start to feel normal, I promise. I eat white bread now and feel no guilt. Someone said "guilt isn't an ingredient, don't add it!"
I had disordered eating from sw too, It messed me up for years.
Iv been calorie counting and eating anything Iv fancied (I’m on high calories) and lost 1.5 stone. The freedom is liberating

Reactions: 9

I could have written this entire thing myself! I too gained major problems around food and mental health related.. I am not “following” anything right now, starting a new job I’m trying to find my feet a little before thinking of food etc, lots of just getting a meal deal (I eat really well and always homemade for evening meal) until I can really look into CC and trying it out for a week or two and seeing how it goes

Reactions: 10
It is amazing how much SW messes with your perception of food, it has taken me months to stop thinking I have messed up my whole day by having a croissant for breakfast then just binging saying I will draw a line tomorrow 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 13
When’s gemma.b going to tell the fans how much weight she’s put on then
And itsdaniellesjourney what actual size her denim jacket is 🤣

I remember going to group and I had lost a pound .. The consultant asked in front of everyone , what went wrong ? I said nothing I’ve spent years putting on so to loose a pound and be able to live my life . I call it a successful week !! . He soon shut up and moved on . Needless to say I didn’t go back .. sitting in a circle to confess your sins is not how any adult should be treated especially if u have low self esteem due to your weight to start with .

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

☝🏼
This 👏🏻

Reactions: 5

I totally agree with you Slimming World messed up my head as well. I lost almost 4 stones in 6 months. I wouldn’t go out for a meal unless I had a salad or soup. I would starve myself before weigh in etc. I was restricting way too much. It was ruling my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.