Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If someone could help with a recommendation for an ingredient or product I would really appreciate it!

My chin and all from my nose down to my mouth (naso-labial folds?) is SO DRY and flakey. But if I use literally ANY moisturiser it gets really sore and red and inflamed :( I've been using an Inkey List hyaluronic acid after cleansing which is a really good temporary fix but it isn't making any long term progress, it's right back to being ugly and dry after a few hours. Can anyone recommend me a moisturiser that might help? I wondered if maybe I should use something with ceramides to try and rebuild my skin barrier but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed when I try to look things up!
Yes it sounds like improving your skin barrier would be a good idea. I have used the Dr. Jart Ceramide cream with good results before, and also think Cerave's products are great (and also affordable!) Avene and La Roche Poesay have moisturisers with ceramides too.

I would also stop using Hyaluronic for a while as it may be not helping things (Dr. Shereen Idriss has a video on HA which is helpful).

Reactions: 2
Yeah, I thought it would - my skin is still calming down from being there last week. Would the LRP Serozinc be something you’d recommend using when around hard water?
I normally spritz with the elemis ginseng toner you see
I would use it before the Elemis toner- it may be overkill but it hasn’t done me any harm! Maybe you could try it in the hard water areas first to see if it helps?

Sorry for only just getting back to you - it’s been on my mind but kept getting distracted. Ok I’ll share 😊

AM:
Cleanse with La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo
Spray my face with Elemis Ginseng Rehydrating toner (sometimes if I want to save money i’ll use a rose water from ebay - can link if you want but was recommended this by a derm)
Whilst my skin is DAMP !!!! I put eye cream on - I use the Inkey List caffeine eye cream which I like but would like to try something else maybe and then Hado Labo super hydrating lotion on my skin whilst still damp as this really helps the moisture (i really love this!)
Then on alternate days I’ll do one of the following next - If i’ve used retinol the night before I’ll use a vitamin C as this is meant to be beneficial - currently just got a superdrug one but also really like the inkey list vitamin C but I’d like to try the Summer Fridays one eventually but spenny. Or I’ll use a little bit of niacinamide by superdrug again
or some Paula’s choice BHA just in the palm of my hands and patted in (the niacinamide or BHA depends on what i’m upto or how my skin is at the time)
Then I follow with Weleda skin food which is definitely not designed for my skin type (combo) but it’s made a huge difference, I love it. Ive been prone to replacing my moisturizer with an oil some mornings as I just love it hahaha i use either Pai rosehip oil or elemis superfood oil
Then always, always, always SPF 50 - I’m using la roche posay anthelios one at the moment but I loooooooove the Elizabeth Arden city smart prevage one as it has a lovely tint and glow - tend to use that more in the summer/spring months but it is expensive too.

Night time my routine as follows:
Cleanse - Majority of the time I’ll use the elemis rose cleansing balm as a first cleanse
Double cleanse - la roche posay effaclar duo, I double cleanse every night as you should if you wear SPF too. I never stray from these two cleansers, so a balm and a gel into foam cleanser.
Then on nights where I use a retinol I’ll do the following -
Spray with the mists mentioned in my AM routine and then whilst damp i use Retinol eye cream by inkey list and then retinal - I use the medik 8 crystal retinal i’m on number 6 i think? I love this, you don’t need loads and just pat into the skin. I do this every 2-3 nights, I just read my skin really. I let this sit for 20 mins before I apply anything else. Then I’ll apply niacinamide and then the hado labo super hydrating lotion and follow with the weleda skin food again.
On the nights where I don’t use retinol, I will spray my mist and do eye cream and the hado labo and then following with moisturiser and then one of the oils I mentioned and i’ll roller that into my face or instead of spraying i’ll sometimes 1-2 times a week use some Paula’s choice BHA lotion on a cotton pad over my face then the hado labo then moisturiser.

That’s generally it, it works really well for me and took me ages to find something that I love and has benefitted me. As I say, I really just read my skin to see what I feel like it needs! But it makes me feel really good 😄 I used to never use oils thinking they’d make my skin more oily but they don’t - my skin type has changed so much over the last year I’m more dry-combo rather than combo-oily now. I get a lot of compliments about my skin now which is lovely after struggling 😂 If you’ve got dehydrated skin I reallt recommend the spray & hado labo onto skin whilst damp. I sleep on a silk pillow case too!

Another thread on here as got me considering buying a LED at home mask from Current Body 🤣

Retinol only use at night, in the day use something different as retinol increases your sensitivity to light hence the recommended for SPF too
Is your Paula's Choice recommendation the black bottle? I'm gonna invest purely on your post!

Bit of an odd one but has anyone ever experienced this - I live in Liverpool and my boyfriends family are down south. Whenever I come down south, my face has a break out even though i’ve not chanted anything in my routine etc. I think it’s the difference between the water, up north is softer and down here is harder. I’m wondering if there’s anything I could do when down here to help it
I’m a scouser too and whenever I go down south for work I come home with dryer skin

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Hado Labo is a staple in my routine and I love the weleda skin food too 😍
its fab isn't it! im a total skincare and make up junkie lol
I often find that as much as I love the luxury and gorgeous packaging of the higher end brand stuff, the basic products are often my HG!

If someone could help with a recommendation for an ingredient or product I would really appreciate it!

My chin and all from my nose down to my mouth (naso-labial folds?) is SO DRY and flakey. But if I use literally ANY moisturiser it gets really sore and red and inflamed :( I've been using an Inkey List hyaluronic acid after cleansing which is a really good temporary fix but it isn't making any long term progress, it's right back to being ugly and dry after a few hours. Can anyone recommend me a moisturiser that might help? I wondered if maybe I should use something with ceramides to try and rebuild my skin barrier but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed when I try to look things up!
It sounds like you have damaged the skin barrier and it can be really sore and painful, speaking from experience here! Stick to simple (not the brand), unperfumed, nourishing ingredients and nothing exfoliating as this will cause it to worsen. Stay away from from acids as well, BHA\AHAs. A great product to use is Eucerin Aquaphor. its super thick like vaseline but really helps and is clinically proven to help healing.
Also dont use anything too harsh to wash your face with. A few days of applying something like Aquaphor and it will feel a lot better. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Is your Paula's Choice recommendation the black bottle? I'm gonna invest purely on your post!
Yes chica, it’s this one https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/paula-...ng-2-bha-liquid-exfoliant-118ml/11174178.html it’s fab 🥰🤍
I’m a scouser too and whenever I go down south for work I come home with dryer skin
I’d never noticed it before as a cause and I’ve been back and forth between the South and even lived down South for uni since 2015 until we were just discussing drinking tap water but I’ve defo noticed a pattern of it. Strange 🤷🏼‍♀️
its fab isn't it! im a total skincare and make up junkie lol
I often find that as much as I love the luxury and gorgeous packaging of the higher end brand stuff, the basic products are often my HG!
Snap 😂 I think I have a good mix of luxury/higher end and then high street in my routine - depends on the product. I think £17 could be considered a lot but I find the Hado Labo actually lasts a long time too

Hi! Has anyone suffered from milia on their face before? If you have, what did you do?
I’ve never had them (well, I think it’s milia) until a few months ago and now I have about 10 of these weird clear/hard/strange looking spots across my face.
Google says they might clear up on their own, or I can see someone to get them removed.
They’re driving me mad and I feel so self conscious!

Hi! Has anyone suffered from milia on their face before? If you have, what did you do?
I’ve never had them (well, I think it’s milia) until a few months ago and now I have about 10 of these weird clear/hard/strange looking spots across my face.
Google says they might clear up on their own, or I can see someone to get them removed.
They’re driving me mad and I feel so self conscious!
The BHA i linked on the post before yours is great for Milia 🥰

Yes chica, it’s this one https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/paula-...ng-2-bha-liquid-exfoliant-118ml/11174178.html it’s fab 🥰🤍

I’d never noticed it before as a cause and I’ve been back and forth between the South and even lived down South for uni since 2015 until we were just discussing drinking tap water but I’ve defo noticed a pattern of it. Strange 🤷🏼‍♀️

Snap 😂 I think I have a good mix of luxury/higher end and then high street in my routine - depends on the product. I think £17 could be considered a lot but I find the Hado Labo actually lasts a long time too
yeah I agree re the Hada Labo, mine lasts ages too, ive only just started on my second bottle and that's using it twice silt and liberally too. Haha but why are the expensive ones always so beautifully packaged?!! 🤣😩

What is everyone’s opinion on microdermabrasion? I really want to get Botox but trying to leave it a year until I’m 30. Was debating MDB but didn’t know if it’s actually worth it?

What is everyone’s opinion on microdermabrasion? I really want to get Botox but trying to leave it a year until I’m 30. Was debating MDB but didn’t know if it’s actually worth it?
I don’t know what microdermabrasion is BUT may I direct you to this thread, there is probably some people on here that can advise you as there is ladies on this thread that have had botox and potentially what you’re after along with a lot of discussions about LED masks, masks, procedures, anti-ageing type devices. I think you’d find it useful x

https://tattle.life/threads/beyond-skincare-2-beauty-devices-and-procedures.18278/page-49

what is your skin concern, is it fine lines? as if it is lines and/or scarring, it might be worth looking into micro needling rather than microdermabrasion.

Anyone tried Elemis pro-collagen cleansing balm or Clinique take the day off? Which would you recommend?

Anyone tried Elemis pro-collagen cleansing balm or Clinique take the day off? Which would you recommend?
I prefer Clinique over Elemis. I think the Elemis balm is very overrated and I didn’t like it when I tried it.

Take the day off is great 👍🏻 haven’t tried Elemis but too many influencers get sent it for free so that’s enough to put me off!

I also like the body shops version camomile cleansing balm.

I love the elemis balm. I prefer the neroli and rose ones to the original as I think that has a bit of menthol in it and irritates my eyes. TTDO is functional to me. I like fragrance and a bit of luxury but aware that is superfluous!

• Heart
I have tried both and prefer Elemis. I’m an Elemis die hard too.
I’ve tried the original, the rose and also the AHA cleansing balm/butter - the rose is my favourite but I love the AHA one - I got it as part of a small asos box I shared earlier in the thread and it’s lovely.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Elemis-Pro-Co...ece-Gift-of-Skin-Radiance.product.244824.html this is a good deal if anyone’s interested 🥰💙

I love the elemis balm. I prefer the neroli and rose ones to the original as I think that has a bit of menthol in it and irritates my eyes. TTDO is functional to me. I like fragrance and a bit of luxury but aware that is superfluous!
The Neroli one was lovely but not sure if that was limited edition?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I love Elemis, I use the rose one. Gentle enough to use on eyes and totally melts all your make up off

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have tried both and prefer Elemis. I’m an Elemis die hard too.
I’ve tried the original, the rose and also the AHA cleansing balm/butter - the rose is my favourite but I love the AHA one - I got it as part of a small asos box I shared earlier in the thread and it’s lovely.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Elemis-Pro-Collagen-Face-&-Body-8-Piece-Gift-of-Skin-Radiance.product.244824.html this is a good deal if anyone’s interested 🥰💙

The Neroli one was lovely but not sure if that was limited edition?
Fantastic find. Thanks for sharing the link

I think you are right. It was limited edition. I forgot about that as I am still using one. Isn't there a new watermint one? Not sure if that is limited too

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.