Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I ask about retinol again. I’ve used it a few times and my skin has become very rough and dry - almost sand papery feel to my forehead
How frequently are you using it currently? Which product? I would cut back on how often you use it. I have also heard it reccomended to apply retinol on top of your moisturiser if you experience irritation/dryness.

A favourite product of mine is La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume - it's my preferred final step whenever I use my retinol product (A313).

Reactions: 3
Can I ask about retinol again. I’ve used it a few times and my skin has become very rough and dry - almost sand papery feel to my forehead
do you have peeling? If so and that along with the dryness is somewhat normal, your skin is essentially peeling, takes a good few weeks to get results.

Not peeling just very rough and dry
What % are you using? how often are you using it? did you build it up gradually?

If its not feeling sensitive, I would stick it out and still use and would use a very moisturising face cream (weleda skin food saved mine) , i’m sure the dry and roughness is all part of its process,

i had very dry skin for a good month or so and then saw improvement.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The ordinary products are amazing and cheap! You can email them with your skin concerns and they will make a routine for you. It's a good starting point. I'd advise looking into double cleansing. It's a game changer. I'd also add salicylic acid, good spf and retinol.

You need to almost easy your skin into using it. So maybe to begin with once a week. Let it soak in for a good ten mins then a good moisturiser over. You can build up how much you use it

Does anyone have experience of using a few different azelaic acid products? I have just finished my The Ordinary one but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference so far, and I find it quite often pills on my skin even if I leave it 10/20mins before applying any moisturiser.

I have looked at Facetheory’s 15% and Dermatica’s 20% products and I’m not sure what to buy next. I’m tempted to go for the stronger product to supplement my Dermatica prescription, but I noticed it has silicone (like The Ordinary one does) whereas the FT one doesn’t.. can’t decide! Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?

I’ve completely stripped my routine back since January and my skin has slowly improved. The only thing I’m struggling with is how greasy my skin is now! I’ve always had extremely rough, dry skin so even though I prefer having a slight oil on my skin now I’m wondering if I can add something to my routine to calm it down? Hoping you skincare gals can help me out ☺
Morning:
Cerave cleanser
Cerave moisturiser
ZO skin health spf50
Evening:
Cerave cleanser
Dermatica -Adapalene 0.1%/ Azelaic acid 4%/ Niacinamide 4% lotion
Cerave moisturiser

• Heart
I've gone up to Medik8 Crystal Retinal now. It says not to jump to that but I've been fine with the la roche posay one and my skin isn't sensitive. It's really good. Pricey though but I'm going to drop the Body Shop drops of youth as I don't think they do anything at all. I've also dropped back from using YSL concealer to a much cheaper one so, all in all, it's probably the same cost in total.

I’ve bought the ordinary buffet & hyaluronic acid can someone tell me what stage I use them and what order? X

I’ve bought the ordinary buffet & hyaluronic acid can someone tell me what stage I use them and what order? X
Generally the rule is thinnest to thickest consistency when it comes to skincare, i would use the buffet first and then the hyaluronic acid while your skin is still moist from the buffet, will help both absorb better into skin

Reactions: 1
This last week I’ve been using vitamin c serum morning and night and two people today told me I was looking good and had I done anything..... my skin does look very fresh and bright

Reactions: 4
I’ve completely stripped my routine back since January and my skin has slowly improved. The only thing I’m struggling with is how greasy my skin is now! I’ve always had extremely rough, dry skin so even though I prefer having a slight oil on my skin now I’m wondering if I can add something to my routine to calm it down? Hoping you skincare gals can help me out ☺
Morning:
Cerave cleanser
Cerave moisturiser
ZO skin health spf50
Evening:
Cerave cleanser
Dermatica -Adapalene 0.1%/ Azelaic acid 4%/ Niacinamide 4% lotion
Cerave moisturiser
Do you double cleanse? If you’re wearing spf in the morning, usually one cleanse isn’t enough to get all of the residue off. I would suggest using an oil based cleanser or micellar water first then the Cerave one. The simple oil cleanser is really good.

Do you double cleanse? If you’re wearing spf in the morning, usually one cleanse isn’t enough to get all of the residue off. I would suggest using an oil based cleanser or micellar water first then the Cerave one. The simple oil cleanser is really good.
I double cleanse but I do wear heavy make up and find that cerave doesn’t give me a fresh clean face the way my older cleanser used to (Elemis pro collagen ❤)
But I will definitely add an oil cleanser into my routine, thank you ☺ I’m so useless with this kind of stuff!xx

Does anyone have experience of using a few different azelaic acid products? I have just finished my The Ordinary one but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference so far, and I find it quite often pills on my skin even if I leave it 10/20mins before applying any moisturiser.

I have looked at Facetheory’s 15% and Dermatica’s 20% products and I’m not sure what to buy next. I’m tempted to go for the stronger product to supplement my Dermatica prescription, but I noticed it has silicone (like The Ordinary one does) whereas the FT one doesn’t.. can’t decide! Anyone got any thoughts/experiences?
Paulas choice azelaic acid is brilliant! I’ve been using it a couple of months now and I’ve noticed a big difference

I want a good chemical exfoliation to get rid of the old skin a few times a week, any recommendations?

And how would I use this alongside granactive retionoid 2%? Alternative days? (Once I'm adjusted to retionoid)

I want a good chemical exfoliation to get rid of the old skin a few times a week, any recommendations?

And how would I use this alongside granactive retionoid 2%? Alternative days? (Once I'm adjusted to retionoid)
I wouldn’t advise any exfoliation alongside retinol.

What type of skin do you have? Have you ever used glycolic acid based products before? Glycolic is amazing for exfoliation but can’t be used along with retinol, it would really damage your skin if used together.

If you wanted something for brightening and exfoliating the skin the image illuma exfoliating powder unreallll. So nice to use 😍 Or if you wanted something more anti ageing based the image ageless cleanser is amazing but you would only use a couple of times in the week and build up, it’s not an everyday cleanser - it’s contains glycolic acid

With both of those you would 100% need to be using spf. They aren’t a very cheap price point but are medical grade and will last a very long time 😍

I wouldn’t advise any exfoliation alongside retinol.

What type of skin do you have? Have you ever used glycolic acid based products before? Glycolic is amazing for exfoliation but can’t be used along with retinol, it would really damage your skin if used together.

If you wanted something for brightening and exfoliating the skin the image illuma exfoliating powder unreallll. So nice to use 😍 Or if you wanted something more anti ageing based the image ageless cleanser is amazing but you would only use a couple of times in the week and build up, it’s not an everyday cleanser - it’s contains glycolic acid

With both of those you would 100% need to be using spf. They aren’t a very cheap price point but are medical grade and will last a very long time 😍
Ok. I think with double cleansing and using the retinoid every night you're right, I don't need an exfoliator 🙈🤣 I'm still new to this.
I'm using an spf, the simple spf 30 glow and radiance drops.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend something for adding glow, maybe a serum or something? I can't use vitamin c because I'm using buffet by the ordinary. Current routine is:

Am: simple moisturising cleanser, rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, the ordinary moisturiser, simple spf glow and radiance.

Pm: rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, 2% granactive retinoid emulsion, the ordinary moisturiser, few drops argan oil

My skin is mostly dry with a greasy nose 😂

Ok. I think with double cleansing and using the retinoid every night you're right, I don't need an exfoliator 🙈🤣 I'm still new to this.
I'm using an spf, the simple spf 30 glow and radiance drops.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend something for adding glow, maybe a serum or something? I can't use vitamin c because I'm using buffet by the ordinary. Current routine is:

Am: simple moisturising cleanser, rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, the ordinary moisturiser, simple spf glow and radiance.

Pm: rose micellar water, buffet, caffeine eye serum, 2% granactive retinoid emulsion, the ordinary moisturiser, few drops argan oil

My skin is mostly dry with a greasy nose 😂
do you mean glow as in skin glow or golden glow from tan? 😍 if you want to avoid vit c you can’tgo wrong with hylauronic acid. It’s pretty unreactive with other products too so it’s easy to slot into an existing routine. If you wanted a wee golden glow the pestle and mortar glow drops are sooo nice, you mix them with your moisturiser. Really nice especially for summer. Irish made too 😍 xxxx

eta: If you wanted something for your nose look up Q and A activated charcoal mask, in and around £6. Really good for oily areas - don’t apply to whole face just where you need it

Word of warning with Hyaluronic: it doesn't suit everyone (I can't use standalone HA serums, but find its fine in other products like moisturisers). Dr Shereen Idriss has a good video on it and reccomends Glycerine as an alternative.

Also a long Harpers article about HA

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.