Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone recommend a good retinal? Currently using the ordinary 1% in squalene but it’s a retinol and I want to move up a step closer to retinoic acid without needing to see a dermatologist for tretinoin ect. I’m awear that retinaldehyde (retinal) is the next step.

Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend a good retinal? Currently using the ordinary 1% in squalene but it’s a retinol and I want to move up a step closer to retinoic acid without needing to see a dermatologist for tretinoin ect. I’m awear that retinaldehyde (retinal) is the next step.

Dr Idriss has a few suggestions which might help - one by Avene and another by Glytone. I really rate her advice/sensible approach to ingredients.

I am currently using A313, which has retinol esters, based on her videos/advice and loving it.

Reactions: 2

Dr Idriss has a few suggestions which might help - one by Avene and another by Glytone. I really rate her advice/sensible approach to ingredients.

I am currently using A313, which has retinol esters, based on her videos/advice and loving it.
A313 is excellent. You can get it from Amazon in the UK. I used it before I stepped up to Medik8 cristal retinal. Recommend both of these products, but for the money the A313 is a lot more cost effective.
Now I’m using Dermatica tretinoin, but that’s a different thing entirely.

I have a retinol question!

I started the La Roche Posay retinol 0.3% and b3 serum about 2 months ago. My questions are
1) When do people generally "move up" to a higher % retinol?
2) Does anyone have any recommendations for a good product to move onto after this one?

Well, thanks to recommendations on this thread (from @under the ivy and @Shineyshine), I've added some additions to my almost non-existent skin care regime. I was pretty good until lockdown but the serums and actives seem to have appeared from nowhere so I was well behind the curve on what I needed to be using.

My routine for the last 3 weeks has been:

AM
Liz Earle or Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
Superdrug Vit c serum
(NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum - these two are new and I saw them recommended for under eye hollows, I got them as a complete experiment)
Body Shop drops of youth
Neutrogena Hydro Boost moisturiser
Ambre Solaire super UV spf

PM
Micellar water
NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum
La Roche Posay 0.3% retinol and B3.
Body Shop drops of youth

I am not 100% sure I am doing it all right by any means but my skin looks noticeably smoother and more refined. Of course, the issue I now have is not knowing what products are working and what are not as I started so much at the same time but I suspect it's the retinol tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
After stopping the pill my skin was awful, so I took to google..!

I now double cleanse morning and night. 1. Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm, 2. Neutrogena hydro boost

HA in the morning, followed by niacinamide and a vit c serum.

Glycolic acid followed by a retinol in the evening. I think this has made the most difference.

Twice a week I use lactic acid and that's it!

I've been doing this to try and sort out the hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. I've definitely noticed a difference!

Well, thanks to recommendations on this thread (from @under the ivy and @Shineyshine), I've added some additions to my almost non-existent skin care regime. I was pretty good until lockdown but the serums and actives seem to have appeared from nowhere so I was well behind the curve on what I needed to be using.

My routine for the last 3 weeks has been:

AM
Superdrug Vit c serum
(NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum - these two are new and I saw them recommended for under eye hollows, I got them as a complete experiment)
Body Shop drops of youth
Ambre Solaire super UV spf

PM
Micellar water
NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum
La Roche Posay 0.3% retinol and B3.
Body Shop drops of youth

I am not 100% sure I am doing it all right by any means but my skin looks noticeably smoother and more refined. Of course, the issue I now have is not knowing what products are working and what are not as I started so much at the same time but I suspect it's the retinol tbh.
I’m so glad you’ve found a routine that’s working for you. There’s quite a lot of steps in there, but if you’ve noticed a difference in your skin that’s fantastic! I tend to agree that it will be the retinol that will be smoothing and refining your skin, but the moisture will be helping too 😊

I’m so glad you’ve found a routine that’s working for you. There’s quite a lot of steps in there, but if you’ve noticed a difference in your skin that’s fantastic! I tend to agree that it will be the retinol that will be smoothing and refining your skin, but the moisture will be helping too 😊
Thanks! the two eye products are complete gambles. I'm in a beauty fb group and saw a couple of before and after pics and they looked amazing for people contemplating tear trough fillers. They're not MLM products so I gave it a go.

I'm thinking of starting to use retinol on the backs of my hands - I guess that would be OK wouldn't it?

Thanks! the two eye products are complete gambles. I'm in a beauty fb group and saw a couple of before and after pics and they looked amazing for people contemplating tear trough fillers. They're not MLM products so I gave it a go.

I'm thinking of starting to use retinol on the backs of my hands - I guess that would be OK wouldn't it?
Make sure and apply spf on your hands every day if you do this 😘

Reactions: 4
After stopping the pill my skin was awful, so I took to google..!

I now double cleanse morning and night. 1. Body Shop Camomile cleansing balm, 2. Neutrogena hydro boost

HA in the morning, followed by niacinamide and a vit c serum.

Glycolic acid followed by a retinol in the evening. I think this has made the most difference.

Twice a week I use lactic acid and that's it!

I've been doing this to try and sort out the hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. I've definitely noticed a difference!
Glad it's been making a difference!
Can I ask, do you do the glycolic + retinol five nights a week (except on the two lactic acid nights)? Not at all an expert but I would be careful to avoid over-exfoliating.

Though this blog seems to think you're okay this derm interviewed in an article advises against it and recommends alternating them. So I guess maybe just something to consider if your skin starts to feel irritated, otherwise don't change anything?
(I have in the past had a irritated skin barrier from over-exfoliation and it is no fun 😅)

Last edited:
So glad you’ve found a routine that works for you @petitspois 😁

I’m about to start using my Medik8 Crystal retinol 3 after using up my LRP retinol. I reckon I’ll need to up my moisturiser levels as it’s going to be a lot stronger.

• Heart
Glad it's been making a difference!
Can I ask, do you do the glycolic + retinol five nights a week (except on the two lactic acid nights)? Not at all an expert but I would be careful to avoid over-exfoliating.

Though this blog seems to think you're okay this derm interviewed in an article advises against it and recommends alternating them. So I guess maybe just something to consider if your skin starts to feel irritated, otherwise don't change anything?
(I have in the past had a irritated skin barrier from over-exfoliation and it is no fun 😅)

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it :) At first I was doing the glycolic and retinol every other night (and never with the lactic acid), but I've started using it each night now. Although it literally is like a drop on a cotton pad and I 'whoosh' it over my face quite quickly so it probably doesn't do *too* much more than what I was doing before. My skin is naturally quite oily though and I've noticed that whatever I've been doing has definitely helped with oil production and no irritation/dryness yet!!

Ahhhh it's so difficult to navigate any kind of skincare online isn't it!? It's an absolute minefield. I dived into this as a starting point and now I'm just judging it based on how my skin reacts knowing full well that at some point it's bound to not like something.

Oh my gosh yes @fishsticks its a minefield and there’s always conflicting advice! So overwhelming. When I just focused on ingredients that work (like that article advises) things really improved. Thankfully. Wish I’d done that earlier on. Much less wasted money 😅 and much happier skin.

So after reading here and also asking for recommendations I have now added vitamin c and retinol in my routine. I don't use retinol every day but my skin is quite used to it after using Differin for years.

Anyway; about the vitamin c: does anyone also use it in the evening? or is it better to only use it in the morning and then some other kind of serum at night? I bought a retinol and a vitamin c from The Ordinary which are allowed to be combined so I don't see the problem in that, but maybe there's something else I could be using at night? thanks!

Absolutely! But, as another poster advised, don’t forget your spf! You might find you go through more hand cream as well, as the retinol may dry your skin out.

Vit C and spf will work together well in the day to prevent environmental damage like sun, pollution.

If you use vit c on a night, just don’t use any acids or retinol at the same time.

@petitspois NIOD FECC is the bees knees! I hope you like it 😊 I found it really helped with the crepey skin I get around my eyes and it even helped with my massive dark circles a bit. With eye hollows, I don't think there's anything you can get except filler tho (which I'm very tempted to do!)

• Heart
Can I ask about retinol again. I’ve used it a few times and my skin has become very rough and dry - almost sand papery feel to my forehead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.