Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Everyone keeps talking about The ordinary stuff but I have no clue what to buy or what the products are, apart from the moisturiser!

I'm early 40's...only use moisturiser daily and have a bit of dry skin around my eyebrows..I don't wear any make up on a day to day basis...if I do its mascara, concealer and bb cream..I never wear foundation as it looks awful on me..

If anyone can give me recommendations for what Ordinary products to buy and anything for dark circles under my eyes, (which I even have in photos as a kid!) I would be very grateful 🙏
If you go onto Deciem (it’s all linked to the Ordinary- think they’re part of the same brand) website, you can do this form and they give you an idea of a routine basically: https://deciem.com/contact-form?target=RegimenWhat i used this when i first started out with the ordinary products

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It says I need to send a photo..that's not happening 😱
The Inkey List products are great as well. They are similar price point and very good. The oat cleansing balm is lovely, as is the pha toner, which is a very gentle exfoliator. It might be worth having a mooch around their website to see what they have to offer. They also recommend products to suit different skin types.

It says I need to send a photo..that's not happening 😱
Oooo that must have changed I didn’t send a photo when I did it!
The Inkey List products are great as well. They are similar price point and very good. The oat cleansing balm is lovely, as is the pha toner, which is a very gentle exfoliator. It might be worth having a mooch around their website to see what they have to offer. They also recommend products to suit different skin types.
Yes was just gonna add about the inkey list also doing a recommendation on routine for different skin types. I think I prefer a lot of inkey list products, when I first tried to bring a retinol into my routine I used theirs before moving onto medik8’s crystal retinal. The oat cleansing balm is loooooovely!!! So defo check there too @Thelmachops 😘

Reactions: 2
Thanks! For now I have gone for The Ordinary moisturiser and caffeine eye drops...we shall see!

I wish I could add pics without outing myself haha.. but my skin has absolutely transformed so I thought I’d share what I learned. I’m in my late 20s.

Before:
Freckles, fine lines, serious acne around chin and cheeks and some red/blotchy acne scarring.

Now:
Reversed ageing signs, less freckles, zero acne, scars slowly fading, and skin just glowy and plump in general.

Routine: before, cleansed, always toned with acids, used peels etc (way too harsh on my young acne prone skin...) please google tretinoin cream before and after pics if you’ve never looked into it before!

What I do now:

- Micellar markuo

- Cetaphil cleanser (non foaming one - doesn’t strip skin!)

- Prescription tretinoin cream (basically a very strong retinol) 0.05% (bought a tit load of it abroad but can buy here via skin + me)

- Niacinamide + zinc from the ordinary (helps with evening skin tone and reduces redness of my acne scarring)

- La Roche Posay lipikar Baume (moisturiser)

- La Roche Posay Shaka spf50.

What I learned from trying a LOT of products:

Essentially, skincare is a multi multi multi million pound industry designed to make us part with our hard earned £ in the hope of eternal youth/whatever other problem they’re trying to get us to fix. 99% of the products do duck all other than feel or smell nice.

To truly have glowing youthful skin, no acne and waaaay slower ageing process, all you need is the only two products *shown scientifically* to slow or reverse ageing: retinol (prescription strength tretinoin if you can - otherwise it doesn’t do anything dramatic) and a really good SPF which you wear every day without fail. Then whatever moisturiser or gentle cleaners you like.

Hope that helps someone! I remember being in Caroline Hirons skincare group for ages and feeling bad for not spending hundreds on skin kits or not buying the latest hot product, and the truth is that my cheap-ish simple routine has totally changed my skin x quote my post if you have any questions x

I wish I could add pics without outing myself haha.. but my skin has absolutely transformed so I thought I’d share what I learned. I’m in my late 20s.

Before:
Freckles, fine lines, serious acne around chin and cheeks and some red/blotchy acne scarring.

Now:
Reversed ageing signs, less freckles, zero acne, scars slowly fading, and skin just glowy and plump in general.

Routine: before, cleansed, always toned with acids, used peels etc (way too harsh on my young acne prone skin...) please google tretinoin cream before and after pics if you’ve never looked into it before!

What I do now:

- Micellar water to remove makeup

- Prescription tretinoin cream (basically a very strong retinol) 0.05% (bought a tit load of it abroad but can buy here via skin + me)

- Niacinamide + zinc from the ordinary (helps with evening skin tone and reduces redness of my acne scarring)

Essentially, skincare is a multi multi multi million pound industry designed to make us part with our hard earned £ in the hope of eternal youth/whatever other problem they’re trying to get us to fix. 99% of the products do duck all other than feel or smell nice.

To truly have glowing youthful skin, no acne and waaaay slower ageing process, all you need is the only two products *shown scientifically* to slow or reverse ageing: retinol (prescription strength tretinoin if you can - otherwise it doesn’t do anything dramatic) and a really good SPF which you wear every day without fail. Then whatever moisturiser or gentle cleaners you like.

Hope that helps someone! I remember being in Caroline Hirons skincare group for ages and feeling bad for not spending hundreds on skin kits or not buying the latest hot product, and the truth is that my cheap-ish simple routine has totally changed my skin x quote my post if you have any questions x

Reactions: 11

Before:

Now:

What I do now:

- Micellar markuo

Totally agree with you. A simple routine is the best, with as few products as possible, and restrict the actives. Best thing I ever did was stop listening to the likes of Hirons, who just want to sell you expensive products and take their cut.

The only thing that has ever really made any noticeable difference to my skin is tretinoin. I wish I’d started on it when I was about 5 years younger, but it’s never too late to make a difference 😊

Also wish I’d used more sunscreen when I was younger, but they weren’t so hot on it when I was a teenager back in the 80s and early 90s. I’m trying to make up for it now though, going through buckets of the stuff!

Reactions: 6
Would caution to anyone considering adding Hyalyronic acid to their that it doesn't work for everyone, and can cause irritation. I find my skin is much happier without a dedicated HA product (though I think it is down the list in the ingredients of a moisturiser I use).
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/skin-care/a31116680/are-you-misusing-hyaluronic-acid/

Hi, never posted here before 😂 I was recommended the Ordinary skin care so ordered a set box with the cleanser, masque, niacinamide and moisturiser. I've been using it a couple days and my skin maybe subconsciously feels amazing! I was just wondering if I should leave it at that or add any other bits to my skincare routine? Tia🥰
For now I would stick to just those products and an SPF. Maybe down the line look at Vit C serum, or a retinol product etc. As @under the ivy said, go slow and see what works. Have fun!

Reactions: 1
Can I ask a quick question? I've started on LRP retinol which seems great. I understand it makes you more sun sensitive so I need to wear SPF.

How do you approach an actual holiday where you have a lot more exposure? (If that ever happens!) I presume you just stop using it but do you need to stop in advance?

Can I ask a quick question? I've started on LRP retinol which seems great. I understand it makes you more sun sensitive so I need to wear SPF.

How do you approach an actual holiday where you have a lot more exposure? (If that ever happens!) I presume you just stop using it but do you need to stop in advance?
This is very confusing as I've read mixed opinions on this. I read if you are planning on spending a lot of time in the sun then you should stop your retinol, however I've also read that this is a myth about retinol. That most retinols you can purchase, i.e. not ones prescribed by your doc, will not have a big effect on your skin in the sun at all. And everyone should be wearing SPF outside anyway.

I think someone on here recommended bio oil on your face a couple of times a week before bed and left on overnight - just want to say thanks! By the morning my skin has never looked so clear and even! I realise it won’t be for everyone - my skin is dry/damaged (years of irresponsible sun bed use) but I look like i’ve woke up with a smoothing filter on the few times I’ve tried it. Also my pores looked loads smaller

Reactions: 4

Yes I would stop using it before your holiday, maybe a week or so before. Obv still slap on the SPF when your away 👌🏻🤣

Yeah stop using the retinol about a week before and slather on the SPF!

I agree that simple skincare routines are the best. I do think a hydrating serum and a vit c serum work and are essential for me.

Reactions: 5
I get overly intimidated by very complicated skin care routines. I'm always tempted to change it up but I do like mine how it is. At the moment I'm using gentle cleanser (usually double cleanse - with avene and then la roche posay), niacinamide and zinc from the ordinary, a gentle eye cream and moisturiser. I also use the la roche retinol eye cream and serum three times a week at the moment too.

I mix it up in the day time with my spfs. At the moment I'm liking alumier md, paulas choice and australian gold (they are spf 42, 30 and 50 respectively).

I’ve just bought the Dr Jart Cicapair trial kit - I have persistent redness on my cheeks (I think linked to my eczema) which feels flushed. I’m worried my skin barrier has been damaged due to retinol use so I’ve eased off that the past week and have been using hydrating and calming products.

I hope it’s good, I’ve read good things about it.
So I’ve been trying this out for a few days and I can say I really like it! The Repair cream is my favourite and I can see myself buying the full size. It feels quite mattifying but my skin feels super soft and hydrated - win win for my combo skin. It does calm redness down too. I mainly suffer with redness around my eyes and nose, as well as cheeks recently, so have been using the correcting cream before makeup in those areas. It’s green in the pot (green counteracts red) but once rubbed in goes a beige colour. It makes a great base for foundation/concealer and hides my redness as a result. The serum I’m not keen on but it’s still nice.

TL;DR - I like the repair cream a lot and the correction cream.

So I’ve been trying this out for a few days and I can say I really like it! The Repair cream is my favourite and I can see myself buying the full size. It feels quite mattifying but my skin feels super soft and hydrated - win win for my combo skin. It does calm redness down too. I mainly suffer with redness around my eyes and nose, as well as cheeks recently, so have been using the correcting cream before makeup in those areas. It’s green in the pot (green counteracts red) but once rubbed in goes a beige colour. It makes a great base for foundation/concealer and hides my redness as a result. The serum I’m not keen on but it’s still nice.

I have been using the Cicapair Tiger Grass Colour Correcting treatment and liked it so last week i bought the Cicapair Tiger Grass Sleepair Intensive Treatment and it is lovely. I highly recommend it. I think i am going to try the Ceramidin mist next.

I love the correction cream, it’s actually really lovely for them no make up days. I’ve worn it out with just concealer and a bit of bronzer and highlight and mascara and it looked sooooo nice. I wanna look at their repair cream.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a lightweight moisturiser? Potentially a gel type moisturiser..

I love the correction cream, it’s actually really lovely for them no make up days. I’ve worn it out with just concealer and a bit of bronzer and highlight and mascara and it looked sooooo nice. I wanna look at their repair cream.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a lightweight moisturiser? Potentially a gel type moisturiser..
The only gel mosturisers I've used are Clinique Moisture Surge and Neutrogena Hydra Boost gel. I liked them both equally but the Neutrogena is much cheaper.

The only gel mosturisers I've used are Clinique Moisture Surge and Neutrogena Hydra Boost gel. I liked them both equally but the Neutrogena is much cheaper.
Agree on both of these gel moisturisers. Clinique moisture surge intense (the newish one that came out) is fab, and the Neutrogena gel is lovely too just make sure you get the one that’s fragrance free.

I need a wee bit of advice please, if anyone has a spare minute to help!

I have finally found a great skincare routine which really suits my skin and my blackheads and blemishes have cleared up A LOT. To the point where I don’t mind going outside with no make up on, which I never ever would dream of doing previously!

However if I am at WFH bare faced, I often find I need to moisturise my face again in the afternoon because it feels a bit tight. Probably because my AM routine is quite drying, but I’m not sure which product I should change! Perhaps a more moisturising face wash? Has anyone tried the Fresh Soy cleanser or Caudalie cleansing milk?

AM - Garnier pure active sensitive (gel) face wash, La Roche Posay effaclar toner, LRP effaclar serum, eye cream, Simple moisturiser

PM - Liz Earle cleanse and polish, LRP effaclar toner, Caudalie radiance serum, eye cream, Simple moisturiser.
I just double cleanse with the Liz Earle in the eve if I wear make up. Have recently picked up a nighttime oil from Boots Botanics which I LOVE but will only use a few times a week.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.