Shpock/Vinted - worth the effort?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a lot of clothes and I’m a pain for parting with them. I was thinking of selling some (never worn, still got tags a lot of them) but is it worth the effort? Shall I just take them the charity bank at the tip? I’d rather sell to someone local than have to go the post office but that limits your audience.

Would love to hear anyone’s experience because I even seen an ex-Love Islander listing stuff before 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I used the Marie Kondo method to do a huge declutter and only held on to the very best items like the scarf my grandmother gave me, a top she bought me from the classics range at M&S or another cardigan even though it's still two sizes too big. I also take photos of the items I give away.

The method is that you're supposed to pick an item and ask yourself the question "does it spark joy?" Yes keep. No get rid off. Don't feel like you have to rush it though. It's best if you do it in small bits at a time in case you regret something you can't get back.

I would sell the more pricier items if they were in good condition. You could also do make a preloved by XYZ page on insta.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I use Vinted for stuff that I think is in good condition and will sell quickly. I found that if you upload a lot of stuff at a time it tends to go quite quickly, so you are not back and forth to the post office all the time, you can do them in big batches. The app and website are both really easy to use. Some users also do swaps and you can use the money you make to buy stuff from other users.

For stuff I am not sure about, I have used an app called reGain. You box everything up and send it to them. They sort out stuff for charity shops (British red cross I think) and then recycle the rest. In return you get a discount code to use for various online stores. I really liked using it as I knew the clothes wouldn't just go to landfill and I used the discounts to buy stuff for my children so I wasn't just shopping for the sake of shopping

Reactions: 12
I use depop, vinted and eBay and have made about £500ish but this is through continuous upkeep between apps, also knowing what will sell. It’s a pain in the arse to list everything and keep on top of messages but pretty good

Reactions: 8
I use Vinted and eBay.

The problems I see are:
- Everyone wants things really cheap, so sometimes it is not worth the effort.
- It is VERY tempting to shop in these sites, too. So effectively I shop more than I sell as I see things and then want them.
- Some users are a pain in the behind and dealing with them takes up a lot of time.
- It takes time and effort to take good photos.

The benefits are:
- Extra cash.
- Once you know what sells well and what doesn't it is easy to identify things to sell and to not bother with other stuff.
- It can be fun and more productive than simply watching Netflix.
- It is good to de-clutter.

Reactions: 9
I’ve dipped my toe into Vinted recently and brought a couple of branded bits for my kids it was so cheap and the things I purchased were really good quality. Am going to have a bit of a declutter and try and sell some bits in the next week or so.

Reactions: 2
I love vinted it’s great for selling and buying kids clothes, one thing I find annoying though is a lot of times Iv sold items the buyer doesn’t notify that they’ve received it therefore you have to wait weeks to get paid out, it takes 2 seconds to press received and I always do it straight away out of courtesy 😂

Reactions: 5
I've been used Vinted to declutter over the past few months and I've sold quite a lot. It is low amounts though, I think the most expensive item was £4 😂 but it does add up.
I find the postage options a lot easier than eBay, as the buyer has the option of Royal Mail, Hermes etc so you just print the address label off and drop it somewhere. They also don't take any fees for selling which is so good!

I do give a lot to charity as well but some things that I've got that are still in really good condition/tags on etc I'll try and sell first

I love Vinted! I’ve made about £400 in the last 8 months.

It depends on what you’re selling, but agree with PP that:

Kids stuff sells well. To be honest I listed most stuff at £1-3 depending on the condition. I’ve sold loads of mine, and my husbands stuff. I find branded stuff goes way better but people want stuff for cheap.

The postage option for hermes esp on Vinted is great as there’s no hassle with spending on postage. I guess the down side is you have to see from the buyer POV that it’s postage ontop of the price. I do like the ‘offer’ way of bartering as you don’t need to agree. I just sold a mint condition Zara faux leather puffer (I had it on for half the retail price but still had people trying to knock 10/15£ off - I just declined it)

You can add bundles too so you can have say 10% discount if they buy more than one item which can help shift stuff.

Vinted also doesn’t take a cut of what you sell so that’s one plus, you can pay to ‘bump’ your listings but I’ve never bothered.

I’ve sold a few home bits on there too which have gone, but the way I see it as I’d be happy enough to donate or throw them so if I make a few quid then it’s worth it - the best but is that the few quid always adds up to quite a bit!

Lots of fab tips, thank you all 💞

I think I’ll have a sort out this weekend then as I need to store the summer dresses and get winter workwear out 😵 I must have taken 10+ bin bags of stuff to the charity skip over lockdown, some was really nice and new so it’d be a shame if it just gets recycled but I couldn’t be bothered back then. Now I know it’s a bit of a process I’ll be more patient with it.

Everyone else has covered everything already but another big vote yes for Vinted from me! I have been buying and selling on there quite a bit over the last few months 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
I downloaded vinted last night I’ve been meaning to clear all our wardrobes out for ages! I’ve made £50 already!! Can’t believe it! I’ve uploaded loads more tonight and if it doesn’t sell by the end of the month I’ll take it to charity but think the whole things amazing it’s so easy to use!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I downloaded vinted last night I’ve been meaning to clear all our wardrobes out for ages! I’ve made £50 already!! Can’t believe it! I’ve uploaded loads more tonight and if it doesn’t sell by the end of the month I’ll take it to charity but think the whole things amazing it’s so easy to use!
I still haven’t got round to it yet but that sounds amazing! What were you selling? I’ve just bought some expensive gym equipment so if I could gain some of that back it’d be good 😀

I still haven’t got round to it yet but that sounds amazing! What were you selling? I’ve just bought some expensive gym equipment so if I could gain some of that back it’d be good 😀
I’ve sold T-shirt’s, 3 dresses (day wear not occasion) , pair of skinny jeans and a kids 2 piece set of leggings and matching top! None designer all high street brands! So surprised!! Defo try it I can’t believe how straight forward it is! It’s made me feel all excited I think it could become addictive 🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
I’ve made another £19 today!! No one probably cares but this is a reminder that your trash is someone else’s treasure and they will pay you for it!! So if you are gonna donate to charity anyway you may aswell try and make a few pound first every little helps in the run up to December 😄

• Heart
I’ve made another £19 today!! No one probably cares but this is a reminder that your trash is someone else’s treasure and they will pay you for it!! So if you are gonna donate to charity anyway you may aswell try and make a few pound first every little helps in the run up to December 😄
No, keep it coming! It’ll spur me on 🤣 well done you! I organised my wardrobes the other week so I’m in a “I need it all!” phase, but I’m sure there’s a lot I could Shpock.

No, keep it coming! It’ll spur me on 🤣 well done you! I organised my wardrobes the other week so I’m in a “I need it all!” phase, but I’m sure there’s a lot I could Shpock.
I’ve hunted out all my old maternity clothes that I’d held onto “just incase” and they’re flying out like hot cakes!! I feel like going around the charity shops and buying anything I think I could sell on vinted 🤣🤣🤣😂 it’s just so exciting making a sale hahah I’m very sad!!

• Haha
I’ve hunted out all my old maternity clothes that I’d held onto “just incase” and they’re flying out like hot cakes!! I feel like going around the charity shops and buying anything I think I could sell on vinted 🤣🤣🤣😂 it’s just so exciting making a sale hahah I’m very sad!!
6871FEFC-C8A5-488B-ABE2-E1B17C62F896.jpeg

Hahaha! It does give you a buzz. It feels quite cleansing, too. I’m going to try and create a pile this week 🤞🏻

• Haha