Shamima Begum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The whole thing is terrible really and obviously she wasn't being supervised properly by her parents. Apparently they thought she was going to a wedding? What by herself at 15? which involved foreign travel and the parents didn't enquire any further? It sound very odd to me.

Reactions: 8
Who is IS you mean! They’re everyone from young kids to the elderly, anyone that’s a sympathiser is a risk .I remember reading about Kurdish authorities fearing these camps were breeding grounds for a new generation of militants where their mothers were feeding them nothing but propaganda ,using dolls to show how a beheading is carried out, their home countries don’t want them back because of the danger they pose the kids have been so radicalised.If Begum were truly speaking out against them she’d be at more risk in that camp than she would be on the outside, something doesn’t ring true about it all .
As I said Shamima Begum is not the only woman in the camps to stop wearing traditional clothing (although I read in the attached article that black clothing is banned altogether) and claiming to have renounced ISIS ideology. I think they are at risk from sympathisers in the camp and I read in the attached article that "all of them now depend on the Kurdish militia women who guard the Al Roj camp for protection". I think it may very well be a strategy to convince their governments to let them return.

Reactions: 2
As I said Shamima Begum is not the only woman in the camps to stop wearing traditional clothing (although I read in the attached article that black clothing is banned altogether) and claiming to have renounced ISIS ideology. I think they are at risk from sympathisers in the camp and I read in the attached article that "all of them now depend on the Kurdish militia women who guard the Al Roj camp for protection". I think it may very well be a strategy to convince their governments to let them return.

It's hard to put a finger on but it comes across as too' relaxed ' how they're allowing her so much free speech and media attention ,I only watched a few minutes of the interview but she was very nervous not sure if it was because of the interview or if someone was there making sure she didn't fluff her lines ....

Reactions: 1
I watched the GMB interview and was left with some questions and thoughts;
-She referred to her husband in the present tense. Are they still married/together?
-She mentioned the women who she was terrified by. Who are these women?
-She was expressionless when mentioning her three dead babies.
-there was part of the interview where she was almost smirking.
-if she’s so scared of these women, why would she remove the hijab and wear a vest? Surely this goes against their cultural values.
-where did she get her nails done?

i’m sure there’s more. I’ll add when I remember.

Reactions: 11
The whole thing is terrible really and obviously she wasn't being supervised properly by her parents. Apparently they thought she was going to a wedding? What by herself at 15? which involved foreign travel and the parents didn't enquire any further? It sound very odd to me.
She ran away, stole an older sisters passport and left. They didn’t know she was doing it

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I watched the GMB interview and was left with some questions and thoughts;
-She referred to her husband in the present tense. Are they still married/together?
-She mentioned the women who she was terrified by. Who are these women?
-She was expressionless when mentioning her three dead babies.
-there was part of the interview where she was almost smirking.
-if she’s so scared of these women, why would she remove the hijab and wear a vest? Surely this goes against their cultural values.
-where did she get her nails done?

i’m sure there’s more. I’ll add when I remember.
She's supposed not to know where he is as she hasn't had contact in a couple of years ...He's apparently in a Kurdish prison

But the UK government's position is that she did have other citizenship i.e. Bangladeshi citizenship through her parents. There is a legal basis for that position as the UK government has both won and lost other appeals on deprivation of citizenship on the same facts that they are now relying upon. Begum is of course still seeking to appeal the overall decision to revoke her citizenship but the 'statelessness' argument has already been rejected by SIAC and her lawyers chose not to appeal that finding.
no, she COULD have applied for it, she didn't have it already

Reactions: 1
no, she COULD have applied for it, she didn't have it already
If she chooses not to that is down to her. She is entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship so in effect by refusing it she has made herself stateless. Her call. The government won the appeal in this case.

Reactions: 7
She is a risk. How can you ever be sure she has lost those ideals and would overcome what she did and saw? She can stay there.
Like those poor people in Fishmongers Hall. The terrorist was out of prison after serving time relating to terror activities and had convinced authorities he had changed.
Her interviews have no emotion in them, she’s not sorry.

Reactions: 10
Like those poor people in Fishmongers Hall. The terrorist was out of prison after serving time relating to terror activities and had convinced authorities he had changed.
Her interviews have no emotion in them, she’s not sorry.
Yes. Remember the Fishmongers Hall attacker was there because he was supposed to be a shining example of a deradicalised terrorist. He was supposed to be an inspiration.

I guess his psychological assessments missed a thing or two.

Reactions: 5
The thing that annoys me the most is the idea that she was just a child and was making mistakes and that we all made mistakes. Sure - I'm certain we ALL made mistakes at 15 - I look at my 15 year old self and think I was definitely a bit stupid and naive then but my mistakes were more along the lines of occasionally lying about a homework grade or sneaking junk food into my cupboard. NOT joining ISIS. Probably the same for everyone else. I think she knew what she was doing and what evil she was entering into, I just refuse to buy the "just a foolish child" narrative from some.

Reactions: 17
The thing that annoys me the most is the idea that she was just a child and was making mistakes and that we all made mistakes. Sure - I'm certain we ALL made mistakes at 15 - I look at my 15 year old self and think I was definitely a bit stupid and naive then but my mistakes were more along the lines of occasionally lying about a homework grade or sneaking junk food into my cupboard. NOT joining ISIS. Probably the same for everyone else. I think she knew what she was doing and what evil she was entering into, I just refuse to buy the "just a foolish child" narrative from some.
This is my thoughts, I’m sorry but yes I was immature at 15 but no way did I condone terrorism or murder! I do not buy the she use young as some sort of justification. She is a clever and calculated woman, she is a threat to the UK.

Reactions: 9
Apart from running off with a jhadi what exactly has she done? do we know?
I think a lot of it has been classified due to security issues but I’ve read she helped women prepare for suicide attacks by sewing their vests and helping the women put them on.
In the videos she just seems without any emotion. No emotion for what she’s done, the friends she’s lost, her children who have died. She’s just…blank. It’s really creepy.

Find it worrying how there is so much support for her on Twitter. I don’t trust anyone coming back from Isis, I can’t see how you can change your beliefs so vastly and become a productive member of society here.

Last edited:
She made a home life for an evil jihadi bleep and whelped 3 little future jihadis for the world to deal with had they suvived, and showed no remorse whatsoever.duck her. I'll save my sympathy for the women and little girls trapped in Kabul who are now helpless taliban fodder.
Her darling weeping teddy-bear-hugging dadda was her tutor. 9 times out of 10 this is learned at the knee. She learned.
This is just one of the jihadi supportive rallies he has been pictured at.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Joining and actively supporting a prohibited organisation. Sentence range between 10-14 years. Details here.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This is my thoughts, I’m sorry but yes I was immature at 15 but no way did I condone terrorism or murder! I do not buy the she use young as some sort of justification. She is a clever and calculated woman, she is a threat to the UK.
But…. Being immature at 15 is something we can all relate to. The fact that you didn’t do exactly the same thing as her isn’t the point, or course you didn’t. Young boys in the U.K. are groomed by gangs to commit violent crime at this age though, that’s a more similar comparison. We don’t expect a 15 year old boy to have the skills and tools to get away from being groomed by a drug gang- that’s victim blaming.

Joining and actively supporting a prohibited organisation. Sentence range between 10-14 years. Details here.

She can’t be tried under that if it’s only just been made law though can she? What she did was 7 years ago

Reactions: 9
There are hundreds like her who have come back. She just happens to be the famous one.

Reactions: 6
What a strange, clunky PR pantomime that interview was.

FWIW I don’t believe her one jot. She’s radicalised with easy access to other radicalised people and networks, you don’t just deprogramme yourself overnight. Only nobheads think otherwise. BUT that said, she is a a UK problem. Can you imagine if other countries refuse to accept our criminal deportees that we want to “send home”? It’s basically the same shoe as that on the other foot.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.