Shamima Begum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For me, in the UK the age for criminal responsibility it 11. Therefore she at 19 needs to take some responsibility for her actions and admit that the actions were wrong. The fact that she can sit there and say she thinks it’s ok to behead people just shows she has no remorse neither can she see any issue with her actions or her involvement in ISIS. Therefore why does she want to come back here? If she truly believes in it, then she should stay put. She comes across as a bored teenager, her husband is in jail so what’s left for her.

She appears to have had this view before being ‘groomed’ so let her stay out there why should we let her back here just because she was born here but has no respect for our values or other citizens.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Don’t know if you have realised but the UK is a very racist place. Imagine growing up as a teenage girl being judged for your religion and race constantly by white people (not all but a majority), having undoubtedly had racial slurs thrown your way, and knowing that when you’re older people will see you for your race and religion first. Not to mention when ISIS cause an attack in the UK the first people that get abuse are Muslims. After growing up in this environment, it is inevitable that you would grow resentment towards this treatment of yourself and family. It is very easy to be groomed as a child online, you’re impressionable and open to new ideas. ISIS do not target women by telling them about bombings and beheading, they aren’t stupid people. They lure them with the promises of feeling included and at home, with the promise of finding a boyfriend and home and sense of community. It’s very clear that as soon as she got there she realised this was not the case and desperately tried to return, but escaping monsters like ISIS is not easy. It is inevitable that things she will have heard there will have stuck with her and made an impression, but surely her choice to leave shows that she was terrified and could not live that life, if she was such an awful person surely she would have enjoyed it there?

The lack of compassion for a child that was effectively lied to and manipulated is astounding on this forum. I will never ever justify the actions committed by ISIS, they are disgusting and genuinely deserve to rot.

I can’t imagine what losing two children and seeing the things she must have seen at such a young age, surely she needs help?
I wonder what the " White Widows " excuse was ...she came from a White family and was radicalised aged 17 .I don't think colour has anything to do with it it's down to beliefs and the choice to seek them out.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
If she had gone at 15, realised how horrific it was and that she’d made a mistake and wanted to come back, then it might have been different. What she’s actually done is shown zero regret about going, no remorse for what she has been involved in and instead just comes across like she’s had enough being there now and it should be her right to come back.

I also wonder if she’d want to come back if she was still living with her husband and not where she is now. I’d hazard a guess at probably not.

Reactions: 16
If she had gone at 15, realised how horrific it was and that she’d made a mistake and wanted to come back, then it might have been different. What she’s actually done is shown zero regret about going, no remorse for what she has been involved in and instead just comes across like she’s had enough being there now and it should be her right to come back.

I also wonder if she’d want to come back if she was still living with her husband and not where she is now. I’d hazard a guess at probably not.
I agree with this 100%, I would rather she not come back either, of course, god knows how much the whole legal process/rehab or whatever they do for her will cost, which also makes me really angry. But I think it is unfair of us to push our problems onto other countries like this, it is unfair for Bangladesh to take have to take her

Reactions: 9
It’s the lack of remorse in the interviews for me. Obviously it’s heartbreaking she has lost her children, that’s horrid, but at 15 she knew leaving her family, school and country behind was not something a good citizen does. In the interviews she just comes across as a bored person who wants to come back, but she doesn’t seem to show much despair about her actions.

I appreciate she could have been groomed but she shouldn’t get a free pass (and neither should men who go and fight for ISIS).

This will probably drag on for years though. Maybe bring her back and prison for life might be the answer. I don’t know the law so this is just my opinion.
Just to be clear here, the vast majority of people do not want to see her getting a 'free pass' because she was groomed.

I don't think those of us who are arguing that the removal of citizenship from a UK born citizen is very troubling (particularly when the alleged perpetrator was denied due process by the state) want to see this woman get a 'free pass'. I think it's actually the British government who are the ones trying to get a free pass here, to wipe their hands clean of a woman who was born, raised (and groomed!) in the United Kingdom. There was numerous failures by the British authorities leading up to this event too, and I don't think will ever be acknowledged either. Or maybe it will in 10 years when there is some long drawn out review of how of how this case was dealt with and people wonder how these mistakes occurred in the first place.

Many criminals commit vile acts of depravity and sit in court showing absolutely no remorse, but they are still granted the right to a proper hearing and defence in our systems of due process. These people would certainly not qualify as 'good citizens' either.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I thought her citizenship was revoked two years ago and this is her appeal against that decision?
Hello, yes the citizenship was removed then. The latest decision was whether she could come back to the UK to appeal the decision (but she was not allowed as she was deemed a threat to UK security). There are still some technicalities that her lawyers are fighting regarding the removal of the citizenship i.e. whether the government interpreted Bangladeshi citizenship laws correctly.

Don’t know if you have realised but the UK is a very racist place.
This is just non-sense, the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world. I am not saying it has no racists and idiots who abuse people, but to say it is a very racist place is just wrong.

Imagine growing up as a teenage girl being judged for your religion and race constantly by white people (not all but a majority), having undoubtedly had racial slurs thrown your way, and knowing that when you’re older people will see you for your race and religion first. Not to mention when ISIS cause an attack in the UK the first people that get abuse are Muslims. After growing up in this environment, it is inevitable that you would grow resentment towards this treatment of yourself and family.
Inevitable? Really? At what point do you suffer racism and think to yourself "you know what, I am going to going join a global death cult, and support terror attacks on innocent victims". You are infantilizing Muslims and other minorities if you think they are this weak-minded, that if they suffer racism they will get on the first flight to Syria and start shooting the place up.

It is very easy to be groomed as a child online,
Child? She was 15 years old and unless she is mentally ill, she must have a basic understanding of right and wrong at that age.

Remember she travelled to Syria with three other girls.

you’re impressionable and open to new ideas. ISIS do not target women by telling them about bombings and beheading, they aren’t stupid people. They lure them with the promises of feeling included and at home, with the promise of finding a boyfriend and home and sense of community. It’s very clear that as soon as she got there she realised this was not the case and desperately tried to return, but escaping monsters like ISIS is not easy. It is inevitable that things she will have heard there will have stuck with her and made an impression, but surely her choice to leave shows that she was terrified and could not live that life, if she was such an awful person surely she would have enjoyed it there?
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:
In an interview with The Times in February 2019, Begum stated: “I am not the same silly little girl who left Bethnal Green four years ago. And I do not regret coming here”. She went further to say that she witnessed a “beheaded head” in a bin on the street in Raqqa, and when asked how that made her feel replied “It didn’t faze me at all”. In another interview with the BBC, also in February 2019, Begum “continued to espouse Islamic State philosophy”, likening the Manchester Arena attack in 2017 to military assaults in Syria. She also appeared to defend the enslavement, rape and murder of Yazidi women and children."

The lack of compassion for a child that was effectively lied to and manipulated is astounding on this forum. I will never ever justify the actions committed by ISIS, they are disgusting and genuinely deserve to rot.
Begum is a traitor. I would rather direct my compassion for the hundreds of victims who suffered at the hands of the barbaric movement she joined and celebrated.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Child? She was 15 years old and unless she is mentally ill, she must have a basic understanding of right and wrong
I've honestly wondered if she is. That interview was chilling to watch as she appeared completely devoid of emotion and social awareness. I do not want to speculate too much, but lack of remorse can be a sign of certain personality disorders. Not to mention PTSD.

Reactions: 5
I wonder what the " White Widows " excuse was ...she came from a White family and was radicalised aged 17 .I don't think colour has anything to do with it it's down to beliefs and the choice to seek them out.
yeah at the height of ISIS I was actually contacted by a member of it via facebook! And I am white and have my religion (catholic) listed in my profile! I obviously didn't reply and reported the account to whatever government agency it was at the time. very bizarre

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Just to be clear here, the vast majority of people do not want to see her getting a 'free pass' because she was groomed.

I don't think those of us who are arguing that the removal of citizenship from a UK born citizen is very troubling (particularly when the alleged perpetrator was denied due process by the state) want to see this woman get a 'free pass'. I think it's actually the British government who are the ones trying to get a free pass here, to wipe their hands clean of a woman who was born, raised (and groomed!) in the United Kingdom. There was numerous failures by the British authorities leading up to this event too, and I don't think will ever be acknowledged either. Or maybe it will in 10 years when there is some long drawn out review of how of how this case was dealt with and people wonder how these mistakes occurred in the first place.

Many criminals commit vile acts of depravity and sit in court showing absolutely no remorse, but they are still granted the right to a proper hearing and defence in our systems of due process. These people would certainly not qualify as 'good citizens' either.
Agree, she is a UK citizen, born to Bangladeshi parents. It should be seen as controversial that the UK is treating a child of immigrants like this, she is "England's problem", not Bangladesh's. I also agree that at 15 someone can be "groomed". She should face the courts in England.

Reactions: 7
Agree, she is a UK citizen, born to Bangladeshi parents. It should be seen as controversial that the UK is treating a child of immigrants like this, she is "England's problem", not Bangladesh's. I also agree that at 15 someone can be "groomed". She should face the courts in England.
yeah I agree, as I have said before I am angry about what she has done and the money etc this will cost us, but she is our problem, not anyone elses/ But also because our legal system is partly based on precedents this would create a really worrying situation, it could technically end up that any criminals of immigrant parents could be deported

Reactions: 2
yeah at the height of ISIS I was actually contacted by a member of it via facebook! And I am white and have my religion (catholic) listed in my profile! I obviously didn't reply and reported the account to whatever government agency it was at the time. very bizarre
What did their message say? :confused:

What did their message say? :confused:
honestly cannot remember, it was nothing extreme but the photo of the guy was in syria with an isis flag and was accompanied by a friend request, but was so many years ago i cannot remember exactly and I obviously then blocked them. it seemed like a "reaching out" kind of message

No Subway for her. Leave her to rot where she is.
With Shamima I ask myself one simple question. If the course of history had run differently and ISIS was still in the ascendancy would she still be as eager to return home to regale herself of the freedoms, comforts and security that the UK has to offer?

I think not. Some may think she would. And I suppose your position on this would depend on whether you believe she’s genuinely remorseful, or seeking to maximise her situation following the death of her dream.

Don’t know if you have realised but the UK is a very racist place. Imagine growing up as a teenage girl being judged for your religion and race constantly by white people (not all but a majority), having undoubtedly had racial slurs thrown your way, and knowing that when you’re older people will see you for your race and religion first. Not to mention when ISIS cause an attack in the UK the first people that get abuse are Muslims. After growing up in this environment, it is inevitable that you would grow resentment towards this treatment of yourself and family. It is very easy to be groomed as a child online, you’re impressionable and open to new ideas. ISIS do not target women by telling them about bombings and beheading, they aren’t stupid people. They lure them with the promises of feeling included and at home, with the promise of finding a boyfriend and home and sense of community. It’s very clear that as soon as she got there she realised this was not the case and desperately tried to return, but escaping monsters like ISIS is not easy. It is inevitable that things she will have heard there will have stuck with her and made an impression, but surely her choice to leave shows that she was terrified and could not live that life, if she was such an awful person surely she would have enjoyed it there?

I can’t imagine what losing two children and seeing the things she must have seen at such a young age, surely she needs help?
What is your evidence of this as you state it’s “very clear”?

That runs contrary to any interview I’ve read.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
And she’s back.

I don’t know who is advising her now but they’re dong a cracking job. Ditch the hijab and wear western clothes. Give the stupid kaffir what they want, become the “everygirl”, anyones daughter. The Islamic Facist next door.

But a pertinent question Shamima. How can you be simultaneously a useful asset to the UK intelligence community, and a completely innocent housewife, mother and victim of grooming? Are you in fact the FOUR wise monkeys, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, but embark on a religiously induced murderous rampage no evil?

You thought ISIS was an Islamic Community? A bit like the Pilgrims on the Mayflower? OK I see. Aren’t the Taliban currently in the process of building such a community in Afghanistan? Just a suggestion......

Please don’t buy into this UK.

• Angry
Reactions: 8
On Good Morning Britain this morning she was terrible. I can't believe they actually gave her as much air time as they did. She spent a lot of time fiddling with her hair, flashing her nails etc rather than trying to answer questions properly. All of her answers felt half-arsed, gave very little detail and most importantly, signified very little remorse for her actions. I get the impression she feels a victim in all of this. When asked about all three of her deceased children she was able to speak without even a quiver in her voice - not what you'd expect from a Mother who has lost all her children. She was so matter of fact about their deaths, it felt like she had no genuine sadness for their passing.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.