Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Carrie is portrayed as from Connecticut in The Carrie Diaries and she has an Asian-American friend called Jill Chen. She also has a younger sister, which Carrie never ever mentioned in SATC. Talk about continuity…
Also in SATC she says that her Dad left, but in the Carrie diaries her Mum's dead and her Dad raises her??

Reactions: 2
Also in SATC she says that her Dad left, but in the Carrie diaries her Mum's dead and her Dad raises her??
Was the Carrie diaries even written/produced by the same team as SATC? It just seemed like a really crap kiddies tv show loosely using the characters?

At one point Stanford says of Carrie, "I knew this woman when she took the subway and wore Candies." I think the expensive shoe habit was acquired after she moved to NY.
That doesn’t mean she wasn’t dreaming of them all along. She is a princess.

Reactions: 1
‘And Just Like That… we understood why Kim said thanks, but no thanks’
I'm sure I remember hearing that in the abandoned film script there was a storyline where Brady started sexting Samantha, and that Kim Catrall objected. She really did us all a favour refusing to film that...

That doesn’t mean she wasn’t dreaming of them all along. She is a princess.

Yes but she says that when she first moved to NY she bought Vogue instead of food, which implies she was broke at that point. I think she was a normal girl who made it but spectacularly failed to keep it real. (as we said in the 90s.)

Reactions: 5
Was the Carrie diaries even written/produced by the same team as SATC? It just seemed like a really crap kiddies tv show loosely using the characters?
Well Candace Bushnell was an exec producer and the original author so one can only assume it was meant to be authentic.

I
Well Candace Bushnell was an exec producer and the original author so one can only assume it was meant to be authentic.
I think The Carrie Diaries is quite similar to Candace Bushnell's childhood and early adult experiences, but it doesn't tie with what we are told about Carrie in the show.

Yes but she says that when she first moved to NY she bought Vogue instead of food, which implies she was broke at that point. I think she was a normal girl who made it but spectacularly failed to keep it real. (as we said in the 90s.)
Candice has style and when you have style, you can make things work on any budget. Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove.

Candice has style and when you have style, you can make things work on any budget. Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove.
I'm not trying to prove anything. I just think that Carrie is not supposed to be from a privileged background. I always thought that Miranda and Charlotte were born wealthy, and Carrie and Samantha were self made women. I was just pointing to the parts of the script that led me to that conclusion.

Reactions: 3
I'm not trying to prove anything. I just think that Carrie is not supposed to be from a privileged background. I always thought that Miranda and Charlotte were born wealthy, and Carrie and Samantha were self made women. I was just pointing to the parts of the script that led me to that conclusion.
Oh. Darren Star said in many ways she’s a Jewish character. He didn’t say her dad was minted. They’re all independent but with varying levels of success. Carrie has name recognition but is never affluent. Charlotte has money from her family which is how a lot of girls like her end up pursuing Art History degrees and working for Sotheby’s. Miranda always seemed to be truly self made — she went to Harvard law and works long hours.

Carrie is portrayed as from Connecticut in The Carrie Diaries and she has an Asian-American friend called Jill Chen. She also has a younger sister, which Carrie never ever mentioned in SATC. Talk about continuity…
There are lots of problems with continuity in the show, like the fact that they are all from different places but in that baby shower rep don’t they mention charlotte made them promise not to use the name when they were very young?

Oh. Darren Star said in many ways she’s a Jewish character. He didn’t say her dad was minted.
"Sam was a working class girl. She was a foil to Carrie."

I think it was this that I was originally responding to. I took it as you meaning that Carrie was from a wealthy background, which is just how I have never perceived the character.

There are lots of problems with continuity in the show, like the fact that they are all from different places but in that baby shower rep don’t they mention charlotte made them promise not to use the name when they were very young?
Most shows have terrible continuity TBF.

To me, Carrie doesn’t have the attitude of someone who came from money. She likes bling too much, for starters.

Reactions: 8
Continuity was terrible in the 90s because they didn't forsee that one day we would all be able to watch every episode 20 times over on demand, and publicly comment on any errors or retcons on social media.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
What a load of bollocks, sorry but unless you’ve shown she’s Jewish then she’s not a Jewish character and it’s not representation is it, it’s like when JKR tried to shoehorn in diversity into the books by pretending Dumbledore was gay - they never discussed his (or any teacher’s!) personal life so how could you ever have picked that up?! It’s fanfic!

Reactions: 8
"Sam was a working class girl. She was a foil to Carrie."

I think it was this that I was originally responding to. I took it as you meaning that Carrie was from a wealthy background, which is just how I have never perceived the character.
Sam came from a blue collar background. A person from a Jewish family might be similarly situated financially but won’t identify with blue collar values.

Sam came from a blue collar background. A person from a Jewish family might be similarly situated financially but won’t identify with blue collar values.
A) There's no evidence Carrie is Jewish

and

B) Why not?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.