Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haha …..who knew Samantha was Jewish.

I know she’s supposed to be some sexually liberated feminist vanguard but she just comes off as a simpering Jessica Rabbit (as I rewatch).

Reactions: 3
Haha …..who knew Samantha was Jewish.

I know she’s supposed to be some sexually liberated feminist vanguard but she just comes off as a simpering Jessica Rabbit (as I rewatch).
If you don't practise religion how can you be Jewish? We never once saw Sam do one thing that indicated a Jewish faith, therefore the character was not Jewish!

Reactions: 4
But it would be nice to know if she was or not. Because DS was doing such great work smashing those Jewish stereotypes and all. Even if he was the only one that knew it.

Reactions: 1
Or rather, she’s not Jewish until you’re asked about it by the Jewish Journal. But according to that article, Samantha was and DS was “breaking stereotypes” by making her blonde and sex mad. Was there ever any reference to her being Jewish in the series? I really don’t recall it, and I can’t quite see how you use a character to break stereotypes about a religion or ethnicity if you don’t clearly define that character’s religion or ethnicity for your audience.
I think he was saying that Sam was absolutely not Jewish and there’s no way she could be mistaken.

Reactions: 1
No, neither Sam nor Carrie were Jews.

In fact, in the episode where Carrie sees Big going to church with his mother, she specifically says in the voice over that she was brought up in the “church of don’t speak with your mouth full and be nice to people” meaning that she wasn’t religious at all. The character wasn’t Jewish.

If you don't practise religion how can you be Jewish? We never once saw Sam do one thing that indicated a Jewish faith, therefore the character was not Jewish!
Jewish is an ethnicity not just a religion. A non practising Jew is still a Jew. Speaking as one. That said I'm blonde and spent most of my 20s and 30s being sex mad (have slowed down over the last few years.) Have known loads of Jews who were blonde, sex mad or both. It's almost like Darren Star is just a big bag of lazy stereotypes... I always found Harry problematic tbh, much as I love the character.

Carrie seemed like she could be Jewish but surely would have talked about it when Charlotte was converting. Samantha I guess could be but again no indication whatsoever in any scripts. Charlotte is the WASPiest of WASPs despite her conversion. And Miranda isn't Irish. Basically they are four WASP women.

Reactions: 6
Charlotte is though, by conversion and I assume the Irish (by descent) is Miranda. Isn’t NYC full of Irish people though? They certainly go hell for leather for St Patrick’s Day.
Yes. NYC had a wave of Irish immigrants. However, the Irish are not concentrated in the city.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a WASP?
White Anglo Saxon Protestant. Their image is prim, proper, and exclusive.

Reactions: 2
Just FYI Kristen and Cynthia confirmed in an interview they didn't know about Willie until the last few days before he passed. He didn't tell anyone so I doubt they even knew when the funeral scene was written or shot. They said he is in episode 3 and that's it.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I agree, it sounds awful. And that NY Post article pretty much says that he had to do it. Grim.

Cattrall deserves better.
So does the late Willie Garson, who was made to film funeral scenes while terminally ill himself, praising the newly widowed Carrie — who rudely dismisses her compassionate friends — as “our Jackie Kennedy … pulling it together and giving us a look today because she knew people would be expecting it.”
This is a bit of a reach surely? Are people just looking for things to be outraged about?

No one can speak for WG but since he was in the series, I'm going to assume he was happy to film it. He would have received the script before agreeing. Maybe he wasn't bothered, perhaps he was there for the money, perhaps he was there for a good time with his mates. We don't know, so why is anyone upset on his behalf?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think he was saying that Sam was absolutely not Jewish and there’s no way she could be mistaken.
Yes, if she was meant to be a stereotype busting Jewish woman they should have made that clear. Even just a throwaway comment as Charlotte was converting would have been something.

Yes, if she was meant to be a stereotype busting Jewish woman they should have made that clear. Even just a throwaway comment as Charlotte was converting would have been something.
Sam was a working class girl. She was a foil to Carrie. We don’t know where Carrie hailed from, but her ingrained admiration for expensive designer shoes points to Long Island.

Reactions: 2
Connected and rich. Manhattan WASPs at any rate.
Charlotte is from Conneticut and I think it's mentioned somewhere that Carrie is too? Miranda is from Philadelphia. I think it's implied that Carrie and Samantha are from quite modest backgrounds. Certainly Samantha says some things that imply that. They came of age in the 80s when there was more social mobility. Their trajectory would be much less likely to happen today. Instead of introducing lots of new characters who are all incredibly privileged, they could have had new, young characters who were struggling to establish themselves in the way that Carrie and co did. That would have been more interesting. They touched on this in the second film with Jennifer Hudson's character but then didn't do anything with it. As someone else said, she was just Carrie's magical Negro. Miranda is trying to turn Nya into that, but at least this time Nya isn't having any of it. Maybe because Louise was Carrie's employee, and Nya is in a superior professional position to Miranda, or maybe because they have actually listened to criticism of the films.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Charlotte is from Conneticut and I think it's mentioned somewhere that Carrie is too? Miranda is from Philadelphia. I think it's implied that Carrie and Samantha are from quite modest backgrounds. Certainly Samantha says some things that imply that. They came of age in the 80s when there was more social mobility. Their trajectory would be much less likely to happen today. Instead of introducing lots of new characters who are all incredibly privileged, they could have had new, young characters who were struggling to establish themselves in the way that Carrie and co did. That would have been more interesting. They touched on this in the second film with Jennifer Hudson's character but then didn't do anything with it. As someone else said, she was just Carrie's magical Negro. Miranda is trying to turn Nya into that, but at least this time Nya isn't having any of it. Maybe because Louise was Carrie's employee, and Nya is in a superior professional position to Miranda, or maybe because they have actually listened to criticism of the films.
Carrie is portrayed as from Connecticut in The Carrie Diaries and she has an Asian-American friend called Jill Chen. She also has a younger sister, which Carrie never ever mentioned in SATC. Talk about continuity…

Sam was a working class girl. She was a foil to Carrie. We don’t know where Carrie hailed from, but her ingrained admiration for expensive designer shoes points to Long Island.
At one point Stanford says of Carrie, "I knew this woman when she took the subway and wore Candies." I think the expensive shoe habit was acquired after she moved to NY.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.