Selling on Depop vs Vinted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This annoys me so much! When I was selling things people were putting in all kinds of ridiculous offers, and I would always accept, decline or counter offer. I put an offer in on a dress which has been on for 6 months and got a snotty message back, why not just decline 😂. I've got this dress in my favourites now which I have put an offer in on, I would pay full price too but because she's ignored it completely I don't know what I am meant to do now.
Exactly this … so I would have paid full price but the bargain hunter in me doesn’t just buy without giving an offer a try first (only if the seller is set up to consider offers) the snotty attitude meant I never bought it and it’s still on there to this day so more fool them

Reactions: 2
I've only ever sold on Vinted and I've done pretty well.. but some of the offers do take the p*ss!

That being said, I just decline and make a counter offer. I've never been rude about it.

I have the bundle discount offer on my items and recently had a buyer select a few items; that came to £17.50 with the bundle offer, (so they saved about £2-3 pounds).

They then messaged me to ask if I'd take £12.50.. 😂

I politely declined, and was surprised when they still went ahead with the sale!

I've gotten so used to people making bundle offers, but then not going through with the sale!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I've only ever sold on Vinted and I've done pretty well.. but some of the offers do take the p*ss!

That being said, I just decline and make a counter offer. I've never been rude about it.

I have the bundle discount offer on my items and recently had a buyer select a few items; that came to £17.50 with the bundle offer, (so they saved about £2-3 pounds).

They then messaged me to ask if I'd take £12.50.. 😂

I politely declined, and was surprised when they still went ahead with the sale!

I've gotten so used to people making bundle offers, but then not going through with the sale!
Recently someone put together a bundle of baby clothes, there must have been about 15 items. I had discounts on, so they were already going to save about £6. They then messaged to ask if I would take £20 less than the discount price! I replied politely to say the price already includes a discount and never heard back 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Sorry - this question is eBay related. I sold a brand new hair conditioner. I bought two at the same time a couple of months ago from a Salon (online) but have since chemically straightened my hair and so don't use the product anymore.

The buyer left positive feedback when they received it a few days ago, but has since messaged me to say that they have used it three times and the product seems to have "gone off". They tell me that they asked their hairdresser too, who also said that it had gone off.

I responded asking her to request a return via eBay, advising her that I would provide the pre-paid return label, and once I had received the item back, I'd issue a full refund including the original shipping costs. After all, this is how I would want a seller to respond if I had a genuine issue with a product I had bought. They've written back to say that they left the bottle with the hairdresser to be disposed of and that today was 'recycling' day so basically she's chucked it out without waiting to first hear from me.

Am I right to now refuse a refund? They haven't provided any evidence that the item is faulty. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the product if I am honest, as the one I bought at the same time (I still have most of it left) is exactly as the product should be.

Any advice would be gratefully received

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Sorry - this question is eBay related. I sold a brand new hair conditioner. I bought two at the same time a couple of months ago from a Salon (online) but have since chemically straightened my hair and so don't use the product anymore.

The buyer left positive feedback when they received it a few days ago, but has since messaged me to say that they have used it three times and the product seems to have "gone off". They tell me that they asked their hairdresser too, who also said that it had gone off.

I responded asking her to request a return via eBay, advising her that I would provide the pre-paid return label, and once I had received the item back, I'd issue a full refund including the original shipping costs. After all, this is how I would want a seller to respond if I had a genuine issue with a product I had bought. They've written back to say that they left the bottle with the hairdresser to be disposed of and that today was 'recycling' day so basically she's chucked it out without waiting to first hear from me.

Am I right to now refuse a refund? They haven't provided any evidence that the item is faulty. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the product if I am honest, as the one I bought at the same time (I still have most of it left) is exactly as the product should be.

Any advice would be gratefully received
Personally I would contact the company that manufactured the conditioner - they will ask you for a batch number and some other numbers from the bottle you still have, also where you purchased it from. Hopefully they will have a quick turn around and get back to you with any faults with that batch of conditioner. This will be for your own peace of mind too.

You have done the right thing as a seller, but how can she expect a refund when she no longer has the product? I would liken it to me taking an item back to Boots, but I left it at home - I wouldn’t expect a refund as I don’t have the product!

Keep all your messages and screenshot if necessary. Stand firm and assertive and good luck 🤞🏼

51E95C7D-4C91-448D-9A27-DF4EA598E514.jpeg

Reactions: 1
Was considering Vinted, but the comments here are putting me off 🙈 I’ve only sold on eBay up until now, but get sick of the fees. The things I have to sell I would be hoping for a bit more money - All Saints leather jacket, ray ban sunglasses etc. Am I wasting my time with Vinted?

Also, what do people do about packaging items? I end up buying mail bags, but they get pricey. Not sure how I would pack a leather jacket…

Reactions: 4
Personally I would contact the company that manufactured the conditioner - they will ask you for a batch number and some other numbers from the bottle you still have, also where you purchased it from. Hopefully they will have a quick turn around and get back to you with any faults with that batch of conditioner. This will be for your own peace of mind too.

You have done the right thing as a seller, but how can she expect a refund when she no longer has the product? I would liken it to me taking an item back to Boots, but I left it at home - I wouldn’t expect a refund as I don’t have the product!

Keep all your messages and screenshot if necessary. Stand firm and assertive and good luck 🤞🏼

View attachment 1448172
Thanks for this. It is a good idea to contact the manufacturer. I spoke to eBay CS via live chat to ask for advice and they agreed that if she cannot return the item then a refund should not be issued.. My first time ever having an issue on eBay as a seller, and I've been using eBay for 5+ years!

Reactions: 2
Was considering Vinted, but the comments here are putting me off 🙈 I’ve only sold on eBay up until now, but get sick of the fees. The things I have to sell I would be hoping for a bit more money - All Saints leather jacket, ray ban sunglasses etc. Am I wasting my time with Vinted?

Also, what do people do about packaging items? I end up buying mail bags, but they get pricey. Not sure how I would pack a leather jacket…
I tend to use bin liners or keep packaging from items I have received but it’s space to store these things. Otherwise I try poundshop for cheap packaging

🤷🏻‍♀️ why would I necessarily know that any more than you, I’m not a post office 🐱 Got a feeling this one will be trouble, bet she means Republic of Ireland which is international postage and is then going to try for free shipping on my £10 item

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I cant believe the difference in price between Depop and Vinted.
Theres a top I've got my eye on on vinted, its just a size smaller than what I wear! Typical 🤣
Thought I'd search Depop for it . . .
Wow!! Stuff on there, I paid £80, would like £70 🙄

I took my daughter to trawl the charity shops in our local town . . Usually LOTS of lovely bits . .
This time, NOTHING.
I dont think people give away anymore, it all goes on selling sites

I don't get why people list stuff for like £1? I understand about bundles but unlikely people will buy a big bundle of your mismatched adult cast-offs in different styles, it's mainly a kids thing- maybe if you'd changed sizes and needed basic clothes. It costs like £2.50 to post :LOL:

Sometimes I find knockdown prices are an excuse for non-pictured flaws though. Think Depop refunds you anyway but I bought a PLT top for 50p on Vinted and when it came it had a fake tan stain- I was successful in my claim but had to return it to the buyer at my own expense, so would have been losing money :)

Reactions: 1
I bought a gorgeous pair of palazzo pants from fat face recently. .
£55

I liked them, just wasn't sure what to style them with. .
Or how often I'd wear them.
Returned them.

Just re purchased on vinted, for £15!

Im delighted

Reactions: 7
I cant believe the difference in price between Depop and Vinted.
Theres a top I've got my eye on on vinted, its just a size smaller than what I wear! Typical 🤣
Thought I'd search Depop for it . . .
Wow!! Stuff on there, I paid £80, would like £70 🙄

I took my daughter to trawl the charity shops in our local town . . Usually LOTS of lovely bits . .
This time, NOTHING.
I dont think people give away anymore, it all goes on selling sites
Vinted's unwillingness to get involved when you receive an item that isn't as described, and the fact that if the seller does accept your return request, you have to post back at your own expense, and you won't be refunded the buyer protection or original postage fees you paid, means that buyers aren't willing to pay lots for an item. For me, I probably wouldn't spend more than £20 on something, as it's likely that I'd lose the money if something went wrong.

Charity shops retail at a higher price? You’d never sell a pair of Ted Baker heels for £40 on Vinted or even depop
I might quit Vinted, so annoyed at being sent ridiculous offers like £1.50 and then similar stuff actually sells for that?! And having to print the label

Attachments

Charity shops retail at a higher price? You’d never sell a pair of Ted Baker heels for £40 on Vinted or even depop
I might quit Vinted, so annoyed at being sent ridiculous offers like £1.50 and then similar stuff actually sells for that?! And having to print the label
The annoyance. The amount of times I’ve put something on for a price I know they are selling at on eBay/Facebook and they ask for a massive discount, the get the arse about it.
If I’ve put something on for a fiver, I’ll get offers for 50p. It’s not worth the time or effort! Charity shop for little things again I think now!

Reactions: 3
I’ve found people to be equally as rude on both depop and vinted but depop by far takes the crown spot🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m selling a pair of pyjamas I’ve not worn that I purchased for £12 now selling for £5 and I had a girl messaging me asking for them for free? Like that’s an okay thing to do😆🫣 she was like I don’t have much money at the moment and I wasn’t rude back I just made it clear that she may not get nice responses back by asking people for their items they’re clearly selling to make a little extra £ entirely for free😅

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.