Secret Celebrity Gossip #91

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
God, I hate Wet Leg. I don’t know why but I just do. Other bands worth ten of them seem to find it much much harder to get traction even though they were 6Music darlings at one point (I’m thinking of The Big Moon, for one).
They've just had so much bleeping money pumped into their PR and marketing. Hard to compete with that when you're on a smaller indie label with barely any budget. They would have also paid a company to make them go viral on TikTok. Radio 1 genuinely won't even consider playlisting you now unless you have a massive following on there.

The music industry is very depressing. It's always been tough to break an artist but it's even harder now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
How did they get signed? How did they trample on people.

I bleeping hate wet leg so I am HERE for this
Basically, they used and abused the (lovely) people whom wrote/rearranged their songs and gave them their band name - one of them is the singer of another Isle of Wight band, who only gave them their band name as he wanted to play drums for them, he also went out with the brunette from WL - they sacked and uncredited them all from everything as soon as these people (who had the same manager as they do now) got them signed, made sure that they are the only 2 whom get paid any royalties (making sure the other members of their band only get minimum wage), and their awful attempt at an album is just them mocking and laughing at the people who helped get them where they are, but particularly bad is the song ‘Ur Mum’ which is them literally taking the piss out of the brunette from WL’s ex boyfriend’s Mum (the one who gave them their name, etc.) who had recently died. They are seriously terrible people.

They've just had so much bleeping money pumped into their PR and marketing. Hard to compete with that when you're on a smaller indie label with barely any budget. They would have also paid a company to make them go viral on TikTok. Radio 1 genuinely won't even consider playlisting you now unless you have a massive following on there.

The music industry is very depressing. It's always been tough to break an artist but it's even harder now.
WL even bribed TINY radio stations like Amazing Radio so that they would be Number One on all these little independent charts, meaning that any and all REAL DIY/Indie bands couldn’t and wouldn’t have a chance.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
I think he would be 100x more attractive if he just threw on a white t-shirt and jeans. The majority of his music is actually pretty good so the outrageous queer baiting (sorry!) is pretty unnecessary.

He also very much gives me Cheryl vibes (X Factor era), and possibly Beyoncé, when he will do one interview an era but say absolutely nothing of note. Media trained to the absolute max.

All that said, still would though x
I love Harry Style's music, he's a great entertainer and brilliant in concert. I absolutely agree with you re the media training. I think his image is very carefully curated.

Reactions: 13
BIB I think they met at RADA (or one of the other London acting places).

I read Ruby's autobiography years ago and he was mentioned and there were pictures of them from performance(s).
They met when they were both at the RSC. She was just being given crowd scene parts & getting nowhere and he was getting lead roles. He befriended her and persuaded her that her future lay in writing/comedy not acting and he went on to direct some of her stand up shows. He seems to have been very supportive. She has struggled with depression and there’s a bit in the diary where he and his wife go to visit her when she was in The Priory* - which he brilliantly describes as “a place for the unhappily sane.”

* For those from not around these parts who may not know,The Priory is a psychiatric/rehab hospital frequently used by British celebs.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Basically, they used and abused the (lovely) people whom wrote/rearranged their songs and gave them their band name - one of them is the singer of another Isle of Wight band, who only gave them their band name as he wanted to play drums for them, he also went out with the brunette from WL - they sacked and uncredited them all from everything as soon as these people (who had the same manager as they do now) got them signed, made sure that they are the only 2 whom get paid any royalties (making sure the other members of their band only get minimum wage), and their awful attempt at an album is just them mocking and laughing at the people who helped get them where they are, but particularly bad is the song ‘Ur Mum’ which is them literally taking the piss out of the brunette from WL’s ex boyfriend’s Mum (the one who gave them their name, etc.) who had recently died. They are seriously terrible people.

WL even bribed TINY radio stations like Amazing Radio so that they would be Number One on all these little independent charts, meaning that any and all REAL DIY/Indie bands couldn’t and wouldn’t have a chance.
Wow, what a delightful bunch.

I can’t stand it when a so-so nothing special band get major airplay and fawning on 6Music because I’d have hoped it’s “independent spirit” would have put it above such things.

Needless to say I’m relentlessly naive and optimistic

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They met when they were both at the RSC. She was just being given crowd scene parts & getting nowhere and he was getting lead roles. He befriended her and persuaded her that her future lay in writing/comedy not acting and he went on to direct some of her stand up shows. He seems to have been very supportive. She has struggled with depression and there’s a bit in the diary where he and his wife go to visit her when she was in The Priory* - which he brilliantly describes as “a place for the unhappily sane.”

* For those from not around these parts who may not know,The Priory is a psychiatric/rehab hospital frequently used by British celebs.
Knew it began with an 'R'!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Also, re: my Matt Bellamy tea, I’d like to add that he is a really lovely guy, obviously hugely talented - and seriously good in bed, so it doesn’t surprise me that he still has side pieces… I wonder if his wife has hers? She seems sweet, if not the brightest crayon in the box.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Difference is Self Esteems songs are empowering and not just inane babble
I quite like Wet Leg (unpopular opinion, clearly - at least their sound is different. If the other band in question is Plastic Mermaids, their music is rubbish I'm afraid) and don't like Self Esteem's music, though I like her - her old band was much better; apparently she hated it though. Disclaimer: I am old.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I quite like Wet Leg (unpopular opinion, clearly - at least their sound is different. If the other band in question is Plastic Mermaids, their music is rubbish I'm afraid) and don't like Self Esteem's music, though I like her - her old band was much better; apparently she hated it though. Disclaimer: I am old.
The disclaimer 😆. I think self esteem is a very particular type of music. I'd she has some dirt dish herself tbh. Rebecca if you're reading wack up an auld burner account and dish it out 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 6
And Rebecca Lucy Taylor (aka Self Esteem) does the same things as them without being as much of an arse.
I love Self Esteem. I saw her in Leeds this year, she was fantastic! Please don’t anyone shatter my illusions of her (but if you have gossip, let’s hear it)

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.