Secret Celebrity Gossip #158

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reading about the BBC cutting so many programmes I’m genuinely baffled why Mrs Browns Boys is still going? I’ve never seen anyone say they love it be that in person or online, even anonymously. What is the reason it’s still on the TV?
Brendan O'Carroll has got to have some dirt on somebody high up the ladder. There can’t be any other reason it keeps getting recommissioned!

Reactions: 53
Reading about the BBC cutting so many programmes I’m genuinely baffled why Mrs Browns Boys is still going? I’ve never seen anyone say they love it be that in person or online, even anonymously. What is the reason it’s still on the TV?
It actually does well in the ratings and it is also repeatable. Quizzes and current affair type of shows go out of date but that can sadly be repeated often as it’s not dated

Reactions: 15
He just seems a very nasty individual.
Brendan O'Carroll has got to have some dirt on somebody high up the ladder. There can’t be any other reason it keeps getting recommissioned!
I can't bear it but I know people who are big fans I know of an elderly couple living in West Wales who travelled by train to Birmingham to see the live show. It must be a Marmite thing.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
I would imagine it does quite well in America so quite a hefty income for the Beeb.
That or some sort of blackmail hold over a BBC executive.
---
Who is his wife? wtf!
Morwenna Banks, she was the voice of Mummy Pig in Peppa Pig. She's also a prolific writer, she wrote the Gary Oldman spy series (Slow Horses?)

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I get that Rebel Wilson supposedly has a history of being histrionic or maybe even economical with the truth (going by previous comments about her, which I'm not aware of the specifics) but the timing (of Sacha Baron Cohen's split with his wife) suggest there may be something to it?

Being not a very nice individual yourself and being sexually harassed are not mutually exclusive. Nor does that mean you're to blame, you deserve it, or are automatically a liar. Also, the 'mobile phone footage' being used as evidence (recent DM story) that she consented to the 'fingers up the bum' scene may have been done under duress? She's an actress, after all.

(These are all just guesses, I suppose we'll just have to see how it pans out...)

The DM comments are - annoying - to read. I can get not liking a particular celebrity but there's a strong whiff of 'don't believe the woman' about many of them (and yeah, the 'joke' about her really being Matt Lucas isn't funny when you read it for the 1000th time) which just makes me sad.
I guess we will wait and see, but I've never had good vibes about Sacha either. Watch this space, I guess.

Hollywood, eh, I certainly wouldn't want to be part of that world.

Reactions: 14
keeping Mrs Browns boys and cancelling motherland.... :unsure:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
I am really really fond of Frank Skinner, saw him live recently and love his radio show. I am well aware he is a ‘git’ (pretty sure that’s why I like him so much, I am strongly drawn to obnoxious men🤦‍♀️) his radio show persona is more my speed nowadays and he seems to have softened a bit with age. I loved his stand up and the first book, but not sure if I’d laugh as much now. The culture when he was at his peak was super mysoginistic. Even a lot of women didn’t realise they were being condescended to and enabling the bad male behaviours at the time. We’ve come a long way in a few decades. I took a lot of what he said with a pinch of salt but I can imagine he was pretty terrible to women in real life , I hope that he’s mellowed with age. He can’t help but make a joke of things and has a dark humour where sex is concerned so I think that doesn’t help his reputation
I saw a TV programme this week about the romantic poets. He was explaining about a poem called Michael, written by Wordsworth, and crying with genuine emotion. It showed me a side of Frank Skinner I'd never seen before and it was quite touching.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
keeping Mrs Browns boys and cancelling motherland.... :unsure:
I'm not too sad about Motherland. I absolutely adored the first two seasons, then thought the third started to go off the boil and the Christmas special was awful.

My Dad loves Mrs Brown's Boys. 🤪

Reactions: 13
If you're interested, the "The Rest is Entertainment" podcast with Richard Osman and Marina Hyde covered this a couple of weeks ago. A basic summary of the discussion on the podcast is below:

Just because something's not to your taste, don't underestimate how popular it is with other people. On social media there's a huge narrative of "Mrs Brown's Boys is totally tit", but the social media demographic aren't its target audience. For a programme of its type, it's also well written and well made. There's still a huge number of people out there who love it, which is why it continues to be popular, and continues to be made. (See the previous poster's comment about their Dad!)

Reactions: 34
I saw a TV programme this week about the romantic poets. He was explaining about a poem called Michael, written by Wordsworth, and crying with genuine emotion. It showed me a side of Frank Skinner I'd never seen before and it was quite touching.
Aw, I can imagine that. I think I must have seen enough sensitive moments to round him out in my own opinion but I have followed his career closely, watched his random docs etc. Most people will only know the lewd jokes and judge from there, just as I would with a personality I wasn’t a particular fan of.

Reactions: 4
I've been to two filmings of Mrs browns boys. It's actually a lot funnier to watch that than the actual show.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
If you're interested, the "The Rest is Entertainment" podcast with Richard Osman and Marina Hyde covered this a couple of weeks ago. A basic summary of the discussion on the podcast is below:

Just because something's not to your taste, don't underestimate how popular it is with other people. On social media there's a huge narrative of "Mrs Brown's Boys is totally tit", but the social media demographic aren't its target audience. For a programme of its type, it's also well written and well made. There's still a huge number of people out there who love it, which is why it continues to be popular, and continues to be made. (See the previous poster's comment about their Dad!)
My Dad doesn't do any sort of social media (he's 84) so no, it's not aimed at the social media types. My MIL enjoys it too.

It is very easy to get carried away with the 'everyone hates it on Twitter' narrative. I am 56 and I am the only one of my circle who uses Twitter or any type of forum. Some use Face Book and one uses Instagramme but generally they are all social media free.

That podcast seems really interesting. I've had some clips pop up on Tik Tok and I keep meaning to listen to it. Some very interesting stuff of what goes on behind the scenes.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yeah, my mum's 80 and she likes Mrs Brown's Boys. I suppose O'Carroll really tapped into an older audience that wasn't having its comedy needs met. And boy has he made a fortune from it.

The one I'm baffled at being re-commissioned for the past 25 years is Silent bloody Witness. Surely they've covered all possible murders at this point?

• Haha
Reactions: 38
My Dad doesn't do any sort of social media (he's 84) so no, it's not aimed at the social media types. My MIL enjoys it too.

It is very easy to get carried away with the 'everyone hates it on Twitter' narrative.
Absolutely. According to a quick Google Search, the average BBC1 viewer is 61 years old. That probably explains a lot about why the success of Mrs Brown utterly baffles the younger demographic. For what it's worth, my stepdad is 76 and he loves it as well.
---
Yeah, my mum's 80 and she likes Mrs Brown's Boys. I suppose O'Carroll really tapped into an older audience that wasn't having its comedy needs met.
I think you're bang on.

Reactions: 12
I've been to two filmings of Mrs browns boys. It's actually a lot funnier to watch that than the actual show.
I can certainly imagine that being the case, because I can 100% imagine Brendon O'Carroll going off on very strange tangents that can't be left in the show 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Absolutely. According to a quick Google Search, the average BBC1 viewer is 61 years old. That probably explains a lot about why the success of Mrs Brown utterly baffles the younger demographic. For what it's worth, my stepdad is 76 and he loves it as well.
It's old school like Last of the Summer Wine or 'Allo 'Allo' which do very well with reruns on the free view channels.

Reactions: 11
Yeah, my mum's 80 and she likes Mrs Brown's Boys. I suppose O'Carroll really tapped into an older audience that wasn't having its comedy needs met. And boy has he made a fortune from it.

The one I'm baffled at being re-commissioned for the past 25 years is Silent bloody Witness. Surely they've covered all possible murders at this point?
I’ve been watching some of the early ones recently. The acting and directing is laughable. The fact it is still being made is mind boggling.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.