Secret Celebrity Gossip #141

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This was the original reason why I went on instagram last night. 50 is at it again. Seriously what has she done with her arse!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Could you name at least one? Everything filmed prior to the last 10-15 years looks dated, in my opinion. Pre-2010 you could still see real people on screen. After that, everything became glossy.
I think Friends hold up pretty well compared to many shows that were considered revolutionary back in the day, such as Ally McBeal, 30 Rock, Arrested Development. And I know many people in their twenties who are Friends fans and watch it on the loop.
Re: Mathew Perry, I remember his father from that episode in Friends he was in, but I wouldn’t recognise him now. Also, his father and his step father look so much alike, they could be the same person 😮
I think Seinfeld, Father Ted, some elements of Ab Fab, SATC, Alan Patridge. I could name lots more.

I’m not saying parts of them don’t look dated - but it’s about the humour being hilarious to this day, and not feeling a bit “eek, you couldn’t say that now”

Reactions: 15
This was the original reason why I went on instagram last night. 50 is at it again. Seriously what has she done with her arse!
Perhaps it’s a nappy - I’m a good few years younger than Madonna and the chances of me getting out of that catsuit in a hurry for a quick pee between songs is non-existent. And I need to go a lot more often than in my younger days 😁

TBH, after seeing the pics last week of her 11-yr-old daughter dancing on stage in a catsuit and high-heeled black patent thigh boots, there should be some form of investigation into her suitability as a parent. ELEVEN YEARS OLD, FFS! 🤬

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I think Seinfeld, Father Ted, some elements of Ab Fab, SATC, Alan Patridge. I could name lots more.

I’m not saying parts of them don’t look dated - but it’s about the humour being hilarious to this day, and not feeling a bit “eek, you couldn’t say that now”
aspects of SATC have not dated well at all though. there’s a whole episode around how carrie and miranda don’t think bisexuality is a thing.

seinfeld absolutely has “you couldn’t say that now” moments too. elaine tries to “convert” a gay man! jerry literally drugs one of his girlfriends! they have a whole episode about puerto rico that was so offensive that nbc pulled it!

this is just why looking at 30+ year old sitcoms through modern eyes never goes well. they ALL have problematic points and storylines. just take them for what they are in the time they were made.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
aspects of SATC have not dated well at all though. there’s a whole episode around how carrie and miranda don’t think bisexuality is a thing.

seinfeld absolutely has “you couldn’t say that now” moments too. elaine tries to “convert” a gay man! jerry literally drugs one of his girlfriends! they have a whole episode about puerto rico that was so offensive that nbc pulled it!

this is just why looking at 30+ year old sitcoms through modern eyes never goes well. they ALL have problematic points and storylines. just take them for what they are in the time they were made.
I love SATC for Samantha, Carrie irritated and still does irritate the duck out of me. If Samantha wasn’t in that show it would be boring as duck.

1698581481658.gif

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I’m prob going to get shot down for this but I always thought friends was actually AHEAD of it’s time. We had Carol and Susan as a married lesbian couple which in the 90s was a big deal, Ross coparenting with them, phoebes surrogacy, chandlers dad who was trans, Joeys advertising campaign where he had syphilis, Ross’ breakdown where he had to take a leave of absence, Rachels #MeToo moment when she misconstrues having pen on her face and turns down a job thinking her boss wants sexual favours. Yes, the jokes have not aged well when you look back through todays lens where everyone takes umbrage over every little thing, but I think give friends credit where credit is due. We all laughed at the time and you can’t mistake the fact that friends provided so much joy and comfort to so so many people.
Rest in peace Matthew, x
I’ve been reading these comments, and I feel similar to you. If you take the lesbians/gay wedding storyline - you didn’t really see that sort of thing even acknowledged back then so much, let alone in a comedy show as a key storyline. They featured it and made jokes about it, as they did with all their storylines, but at least they featured it in the first place, which a lot of other shows didn’t.
These things are now seen (rightly so) as ‘normal’ now in tv, ie not even worth acknowledging as different. So comparing it to how it would be made these days is unfair, when the reality is, compared to what else was out there at the time, they were doing pretty well.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Wonder if he had heart issues due to the years of abuse. You need to be careful with hot temperatures like Jacuzzis etc if you have heart issues
That was my first thought. People forget that you shouldn't use jacuzzi's if you have a heart condition or at least not for an extended time.

He'd been doing sport for 2 hours then in the jacuzzi. His heart must have been badly affected after the years of abuse. Cardiac arrest is going to be my guess.

• Sad
Reactions: 42
I’ve been reading these comments, and I feel similar to you. If you take the lesbians/gay wedding storyline - you didn’t really see that sort of thing even acknowledged back then so much, let alone in a comedy show as a key storyline. They featured it and made jokes about it, as they did with all their storylines, but at least they featured it in the first place, which a lot of other shows didn’t.
These things are now seen (rightly so) as ‘normal’ now in tv, ie not even worth acknowledging as different. So comparing it to how it would be made these days is unfair, when the reality is, compared to what else was out there at the time, they were doing pretty well.
100%. And people need to remember that at the time, gay marriage was not legally recognised anywhere in the world.

It was a big deal for that show to basically say “these two women are in love, they want to have their wedding day, celebrate, the same as countless other people, and we’re going to give them that”.

The gag was that Ross was just THAT unlucky with his relationships, but Carol and Susan’s relationship was still treated as very genuine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 61
I’m prob going to get shot down for this but I always thought friends was actually AHEAD of it’s time. We had Carol and Susan as a married lesbian couple which in the 90s was a big deal, Ross coparenting with them, phoebes surrogacy, chandlers dad who was trans, Joeys advertising campaign where he had syphilis, Ross’ breakdown where he had to take a leave of absence, Rachels #MeToo moment when she misconstrues having pen on her face and turns down a job thinking her boss wants sexual favours. Yes, the jokes have not aged well when you look back through todays lens where everyone takes umbrage over every little thing, but I think give friends credit where credit is due. We all laughed at the time and you can’t mistake the fact that friends provided so much joy and comfort to so so many people.
Rest in peace Matthew, x
Definitely agree.

I also think it was ahead of it's time, and actually think its aged well.

Some of the jokes people complain about I really don't think are a big deal, especially the accusations or homophobia. I see worse these days which is more worrying.

Reactions: 31
I quite recently read his book. He came across as incredibly sad. That was all I could think. He also knew how lucky he was to be able to buy the fabulous houses etc. But he was alone and you could really sense how empty he felt. He desperately wanted a family and to have a life of family things and he knew he was a bit of an hole and that he’d screwed up many chances he had of love and a family of his own. He dwelled on that and I found it quite self indulgent, but I think he was just so sad he couldn’t be anything else. Book was definitely not ghost written. He could have had a family, he wasn’t too old to have found someone, got some dogs and live a healthy and fulfilling life. His demons must have just made that impossible, which is awful. It’s such sad news to wake up to today.
You have put into words everything that I couldn't say.

Friends was always my comfort. Always the show I turned to when I needed to feel home. It was there for me during the hardest times of my life. It makes me so sad to think he felt so empty.
How heartbreaking that he couldn't find peace in life. I hope, wherever he is, he's found peace in death.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Threads probably moved on by now but just found this on FB from an author I follow

1698582866777.png

---
Rest in peace Matthew, x
i'm also recalling the manny Ross and Rachel had. Phoebe's gay husband and the way they portrayed Phoebe's homeless past not pitying her or playing it for laughs but quietly depicting the fact that it is possible to go through something like that and come out stronger. i cried so much at her happy ending.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
The best thing about Friends was the cast and their genuine love and affection for each other. I don’t know if it would have been as successful without that.

Reactions: 26
Threads probably moved on by now but just found this on FB from an author I follow

View attachment 2538852
---

i'm also recalling the manny Ross and Rachel had. Phoebe's gay husband and the way they portrayed Phoebe's homeless past not pitying her or playing it for laughs but quietly depicting the fact that it is possible to go through something like that and come out stronger. i cried so much at her happy ending.
Thanks for posting that beautiful quote. It’s such a sad day. Matthew had his flaws but he was trying to beat his demons which was no mean feat. It is clear he helped a number of people with their own addiction.
@zetta buttons Hope it is ok I am posting your post which includes the beautiful picture. ❤ https://tattle.life/threads/matthew-perry.19091/post-17232581

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m really sad about Matthew Perry - I know it’s just a programme but probably haven’t gone a week without watching friends since it came out back in 1994 and he was always my favourite character.
Yes, if you're of a certain age, "Friends" is just a part of your life, isn't it? We still use the catchphrases all the time, and it's one of those shows that when you flick through the channels and you land on "Friends", you just keep watching, it doesn't really get old.

Watching it in sequence back in the day though, especially the jump from the end of series 3 to the start of series 4, really highlighted Matthew Perry's health issues, you could tell when he was struggling, just from his appearance. I know it's very easy to judge when rich and successful people succumb to addiction, but no-one sets out with a life plan to become an addict, and I did admire his attempts to help other sufferers even when he couldn't help himself.
It's a sad situation, and I do feel for his family and friends today.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
The most marked change in his appearance is the night he proposes to Monica and is larger, then the next episode is meant to be the same night but is actually the following series, and he has lost all that weight and is super slim

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I remember sex and the city being so edgy when it first came out, but rewatched it and was surprised how tame and almost pedestrian it seemed these days. At the time it was forward thinking to have gay representation on it, but now it's very stereotypical and cliche representation.

I remember thinking even at the time, there was such a massive different between season 3 and 4 in chandler. Mind you it wasn't just him, the whole show looked different that series onwards. It was like it suddenly left the 90s

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.