Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

PinkFigs

VIP Member
Oh crumbs, always avoid anyone calling themselves ‘the voice of reason’!

Whatever your opinion is on BLM, Dibley’s always been political. The lampooning of David as a Tory councillor, the protests against the damn that would have flooded Dibley, the Comic Relief stuff about supporting disaster relief in Africa, gay rights, etc. If it’s only bothering folk now, then maybe it’s because it’s BLM rather than other political issues?

Anyhoo, back to the gossip.

Anyone remember Dawn French on Graham Norton a few years ago? A member of the public doing the Big Red Chair segment was starting to talk about seeing Dawn in her garden (is it Cornwall where she writes, I forget?). Sounded very much like the member of the public was about to tell us what Dawn said to her and the suggestion was that it wasn’t going to be flattering. Just remember Dawn leaping for the lever and flipping the person in the chair. I seem to remember other gossip snippets which suggested she wasn’t particularly happy to be spoken to by the plebs....
I met Dawn French at an airport about 25 years ago. She was a total misery and I’ve never liked her since. Lenny Henry was with her, they were still married at that time, and he was a grump too.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Pinkblush

VIP Member
Any tea on Dawn French?

One minute she said she'd take a bullet for comedy against wokeness then she's incooperating a Black Lives Matter sermon into one of the new episodes of Vicar of Dibley.

Rather odd.
Its awful that they feel the need to incorporate politics into a comdey about a village and its vicar. Just another celeb seeking praise and likes.

• Angry

Miss Demeanour

Chatty Member
Yes me too. I occasionally (probably not enough) give to 2 small local charities. One of them does a great job helping kids with mental health issues but unfortunately not many people have heard of them outside the area I live in.
Good for you. Same here. I donate to, and collect food for my local food bank that does a wonderful job.

I also raise money for the local YMCA homeless shelter and volunteer with a couple of local homeless charities.

Old clothes go to the local hospice charity shop, (who again, do an amazing job) rather than the big chain charity shops.

You've inspired me to donate to a local mental health charity. As I posted further up, the services are so severely underfunded.

• Heart

under the ivy

VIP Member
I bet there's a clip of it on YouTube.

EDIT: here it is.

I vaguely remember this on TV, ouch!

The RSPCA aren't the charity they used to be. They are useless and only care about making money. Not animals.
This is a true story - I woke up one day and there was a HORSE tied up outside my house to a lamp-post. At first I thought I was dreaming but nope, actual horse. I rang the RSPCA and they said ‘it’s not illegal to tether a horse’. Yeah but surely not on a street with cars going past?! Ended up phoning the police in the end because the RSPCA just refused to do anything.

• Wow
  • Angry
Regarding ‘Coke nose’ lots of celebrities seem to have a flatter nose than they did years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if many more celebrities than we think actually take cocaine regularly. I know lots have surgery and nose jobs but the flatter nose look isn’t a flattering look and probably isn’t something any of them would have had surgery to achieve.
My brother’s ex girlfriend’s dad had a hole in his septum. Until Daniella Westbrook she totally believed his bullshit story about picking his nose too much as a boy :D

• Haha

Iseeyoutubers

Her daughter uses a wheelchair- not sure why but on insta they seem a v close family
Her daughter has a rare neurological condition called Transverse Myelitis... I only know that because I also have it. I always feel so sad hearing about her daughter having it when she was so young; I was diagnosed at 30 and it turned my world upside down. Lucy is extremely active and supportive of the TM community.

• Heart

Arwol1953

Yes! Have heard a story that he was having dinner one night in a restaurant in Dublin with Bono and Bono left the table and a woman came over and said she was a huge fan of U2 but was too shy to ask Bono for his autograph and would he mind asking for her (not recognising Bruce!) He said sure and got her the autograph and paid her bill. Well thats the rumour anyway! 😁
I'm not sure I buy this one... who in their right mind would want Bonio's autograph, in the first place? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha

Sticks&Stones

I have always thought Sharon Osbourne was a nasty gobshite. Evidently one of those who thinks they can treat you like dirt but you can't retaliate. She was also vile about Dannii with Graham Norton, basically ridiculing her appearance and questioning why she was on the show, and this was during the series. Which is ironic considering the amount of work Sharon has had. I don't know how Dannii went back that week and sat next to her.

She turned up on Would I Lie to You? last year and told this apparently true story of how she had fired an assistant because Sharon had lit a lot of candles, and one inevitable caught fire. The assistant had gotten Sharon's dog's out and had subsequently gotten an oxygen mask from the fire brigade, which Sharon promptly tore off her and gave to the dogs. The assistant was then fired because she questioned Sharon and Ozzy finding the house nearly burning down funny. Truly awful woman.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22

Vanillaco

VIP Member
Wouldn’t be the big feck off party she threw?

what was the venue thinking taking that booking? It was never going to remain a secret. Laughed at the coppers peering in the window. It must have been a lock-in type do.
Looks like it was a well planned activity, with the back door entry and the lock in. I wouldnt be surprised if they had had quite a few celeb parties on the quiet, and they wont have been the only ones. Why do famous people turn into arseholes?

HockyRorror

VIP Member
Why hasn’t Lorraine had those photos taken off the public domain at any cost? It’s very obviously her but Jesus Christ I didn’t expect to be able to see THAT much
Maybe it’s just the character Lorraine Kelly and not the real person 😂

• Haha

Coniferhedge

Chatty Member
Going back to X Factor. Steve Brookstein seems an odd one. You have one side who think he was treated abysmally by Cowell and the team and then you have the other side that say he’s just bitter at not making the big time. I’ve read his book, Getting Over The X and I’m afraid I fall into the latter category. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some good tea about what goes on behind the scenes and it all seems very odd, but I‘m just not a fan of Brookstein. I used to follow him on Twitter and he comes across as bitter and a real misogynist. This was years ago but I ended up unfollowing him. He didn’t come across as a very nice man.

As for national treasures not being as nice as they seem, I don’t know whether it’s been mentioned before here but apparently Esther Rantzen is quite the piece of work. I remember someone on Digital Spy talking about working with her doing a voiceover and she was very condescending and patronising to everyone. I can believe that.

Vanillaco

VIP Member
I have always thought Sharon Osbourne was a nasty gobshite. Evidently one of those who thinks they can treat you like dirt but you can't retaliate. She was also vile about Dannii with Graham Norton, basically ridiculing her appearance and questioning why she was on the show, and this was during the series. Which is ironic considering the amount of work Sharon has had. I don't know how Dannii went back that week and sat next to her.

She turned up on Would I Lie to You? last year and told this apparently true story of how she had fired an assistant because Sharon had lit a lot of candles, and one inevitable caught fire. The assistant had gotten Sharon's dog's out and had subsequently gotten an oxygen mask from the fire brigade, which Sharon promptly tore off her and gave to the dogs. The assistant was then fired because she questioned Sharon and Ozzy finding the house nearly burning down funny. Truly awful woman.
I was shocked by that story and her reaction to it! I wonder if she was a PITA on the set of WILTY as the producers must have approved that story to go on and show her up for the nasty piece of work she is.

Completely OT but does anyone else remember when Louis Walsh said that Steve Brookstein looked like Fred West? It caused a bit of an outcry but I could never unsee that afterwards 😂
Dominic West has a Fred West look about him too. Why do so many people look like Fred West? And why are they all awful? Is it because they look like Fred West?

• Haha

JakeM

VIP Member
I once read a quote by someone in the public eye (I can’t remember who) that said, generally, the nicer, lovelier the public image of a famous person was, the more horrible/unpleasant they were in real life and vice versa. I’ve always borne that in mind when watching and reading about so-called ‘salt of the earth’ celebrities and alleged ‘national treasures’ who seem far too good to be true 😏
Cilla Black comes to mind.

• Haha

Ginnyjo

VIP Member
I used to love Topshop (worked in Topman for a bit before Philip bought it) and I fell out of love with the brand when it seemed to have this weird new Cool Britannia kind of image I couldn’t relate to, around the time Kate Moss was modelling in the window in Oxford St and the prices seemed to go up overnight. You’d see a nice blouse or dress in there, pick it up and it’d be completely backless. I think when Lipsy (a non Arcadia shop) came out on the high street, everyone went there instead of Topshop and Miss S as they had fab going out dresses. Topshop was amazing in the 90s, the store in Liverpool used to have a DJ in the window and there was a rivalry with C&A clockhouse next door and they got a DJ a few months later!
Same here, I bought everything in Miss Selfridges and Topshop in the 90s, I think I fell out of love with it when you did, It went very Britannia, forgetting they also sold to us in Ireland :D
Then everything went flimsy and the material was so cheap it was see-through.
I still have an amazing top from Ms S, was a long-sleeved gothic heavy satin top that was totally open at the front but had ribbon laced up through the front, I swear it was a copy of a D&G design.
This was back when Warehouse and Oasis were seen as expensive and TS and MsS were so more affordable.

Miss Demeanour

Chatty Member
I lost my dad, my mum and girlfriend were seriously ill, several of my friends left our employer and there was a big (huge!) re-organisation at work all in 6 months. I was fine until november (this was when everything had settled work wise, my mum and gf were much better), then I absolutely crumbled. I started hearing voices, believing the people walking outside my flat were spying on me, starving myself etc. and I nearly ended up in the local mental health unit. Looking back now I can see where it started going on, and at least from that I have warning signs.
Oh darling. My heart goes out to you. It's crippling isn't it?

I think now I'm wiser to the discreet pre-cursors and symptoms as it creeps up on you.

I didn't recognise myself, I'm usually really outgoing, life and soul, smiley, and fun. To be so utterly numb to life and people was like I was living outside of a shell, looking in. I didn't recognise myself. Without sounding flippant, I can see how someone would feel suicidal in such crisis. I felt absolutely nothing but despair.

I hope you're feeling better now?

• Heart

Clickbait

VIP Member
Cannot stand James Martin. Not sure if people remember a TV programme he did for the BBC a few years ago called Great British Budget Menu - basically 3 chefs (of which he was one) visited people living on the breadline to help them learn how to cook meals for less. In his final visit to the man he was “supporting” he turned up in his eye-wateringly expensive super car (Lamborghini I think) to bring him a box of cheap dried herbs. Talk about missing the point. He came across as a complete twat.

• Wow
  • Angry

lamaitresse

VIP Member
What say you, Tattlers? Does Ellen DeGeneres have COVID or is she slinking out of the limelight in the least embarrassing way possible as (allegedly) celebs won't touch her and sponsors are dropping her?
Screenshot_2020-12-11 Ellen DeGeneres curls up with her dog after COVID-19 diagnosis(1).png

(I'm not huge on conspiracy theories, btw, but this does sound plausible).

Attachments

• Wow

shirleymaclaine1

Cilla Black comes to mind.
Funnily enough, she was one of the ‘national treasures’ who first came to mind when I was writing that post. Another was Bruce Forsyth who was notorious amongst my former colleagues for being stuck-up & obnoxious when they encountered him. Another ‘national treasure’ Barbara Windsor was surprisingly ”all airs and graces” in real life when I spotted her waltzing about in Harrods many years ago behaving nothing whatsoever like the down-to-earth ‘cockney sparra’ she is always portrayed as.

• Heart