School memories from the 80’s/90’s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If they did an adults choir group where they just sang belters from the school assembly hall I’d be all over it.
That's an idea to get you over lockdown (if there is one ) Zoom School Choir ...you can thank me later πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The ink is black, the page is white
Together we learn to read and write
Read and write
And now a child can understand
This is the law in all the land
All the land
The ink is black, the page is white
Together we learn to read and write
Read and write

The slate is black, the chalk is white
The words stand out so clear and bright
Clear and bright
And now at last we plainly see
The alphabet of liberty
Liberty
The slate is black, the chalk is white
The words stand out so clear and bright
Clear and bright

A child is black, a child is white
The whole world looks upon the sight
A beautiful sight
And very well the whole world knows
This is the way that freedom grows
Freedom grows
A child is black, a child is white
The whole world looks upon the sight
A beautiful sight

The world is black, the world is white
It turns by day and it turns by night
It turns by night
It turns so each and everyone
Can take his station in the sun
In the sun
The world is black, the world is white
It turns by day and it turns by night
It turns by night

Had this song in my head for a while, well the first couple of lines that I could remember anyway. This used to be one of my favourite songs because It was catchy, didn’t really get the message behind it but reading it now it’s quite a nice song.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I went to a Chinese restaurant,
To buy a loaf of bread bread bread
They wrapped it up in a five pound note
And this is what she said said said

Spanish lady turn around
Spanish lady touch the ground
Spanish lady do the kicks
Spanish lady show your Knicks
(Followed by saying Wooo! And lifting up your skirt)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I remember the feel of those come and praise books, they had a textured cover πŸ˜‚

My primary was a tiny village one. Victorian 35 pupil job πŸ˜‚. We used to bike home for dinners.

I think our curriculum was hand-me-downs from the nearest town school, we had Scottish Maths (SMP). They started with paper books in infant class and then went Red-Green-Blue-orange-purple workbooks. Gin. Reading books. Remember Tim andTobias, my sister telling me it was an awesome book and me thinking it was pretty shite.

We had blocks of outside toilets which we could use if the single one inside was occupied πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Reactions: 3
Look and Read!

Earth warp- that alien scared the hell out of me

Spywatch- absolutely LOVED this- especially the Chad song

Also great memories of the boys having those watches that could control the TV and the teacher driving herself demented trying to work out if the wheel in Phillips was possessed as Oli and Steven would fast forward, rewind and switch off aforementioned Look and Read. Genuinely thought technology would never get better than a tv controlling watch.
I dont remember these but they are both totally bizarre πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 90s kids tv was epic

• Haha
Reactions: 2
God so many memories reading this thread. Defo remember:
-geordie racer
- cauliflowers fluffy
- autumn days
- granny’s garden
- letterland
- the red pens
- blackboards

I was born in 83. I also remember doing maypole dancing and do this at a mayday fete

Reactions: 5
We did sing "flying purple people eater" as well as chart songs.

Parents would probably moan today.

• Haha
Who remembers primitive computers?

All our work, our teacher demanded we used the "art deco" banner on the really fossilised Word document.

There was an "educational game" which consisted of a red blob with a face, I cant quite remember what it was called, Pob or something along those lines, if you typed it a task or expression, it would do it. This was usually a "treat".

Then it came to the early years of high school in the late 90s before internet was used by us, we had to use Encarta to search things. Once internet was in school, it was a very primitive Yahoo search engine looking up our favourite pop stars instead of doing our school work.
I remember that game I just googled it and it was called PODD and we just always typed rude things in and he never did them πŸ˜‚

• Haha
The tablets are yes! Imagine these days if the kids had to have a check by a school dentist, Christ almighty, parents would be screaming 'assault' from the rooftops! 🀣
My youngest had a check at school by a dental nurse, the whole year did

Bloody terrifying, the Boy From Space
The thin man terrified me. My mum had to ask the school to not let me watch it πŸ˜‚

These were the books everyone wanted to read when I was 13
082782503d8f4bc2a9ba4f4dba1df5f6.jpg
200px-Dollanganger01_FlowersInTheAttic.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
in my day you had to walk about being tragic reciting A Borstal Boy - not that any of us knew what a borstal boy was. It was very emosh hahah

A borstal boy came home one day
to find his love had gone away
when he asked the reason why
in these words she did reply
"If you had chose a better life
I would gladly be your wife
but you chose A life of crime
so borstal boy go do your time"
Far away in a cold dark cell
the borstal boy did ring his bell
when they found him hanging dead
this is what his letter read
"dig my grave, wide and deep
plant red roses at my feet
on my chest place a turtle dove
to show the world I died for love"
Now all you girls keep in mind
a borstal boy is hard to find
so if you find one love him true

for a borstal boy would die for you :sick::sick::sick::sick:

We also carried copies of Judy Blume giggling over the 'dirty bits'. Later it would be Flowers in the Attic.

At secondary we would go round the old folks home doing Christmas carols and I was almost suspended for singing a filthy version of the 12 days of Christmas, didn't realise the teacher was stood behind me. She let me sing all of it before she let on.

We also had to know every move to Papa Don't Preach and perform it every break whilst still being 'cool'

All the girls wanted to be my best mate because my cousin was the school heart throb and was the spit of Andrew Ridgely from Wham

• Haha
in my day you had to walk about being tragic reciting A Borstal Boy - not that any of us knew what a borstal boy was. It was very emosh hahah

A borstal boy came home one day
to find his love had gone away
when he asked the reason why
in these words she did reply
"If you had chose a better life
I would gladly be your wife
but you chose A life of crime
so borstal boy go do your time"
Far away in a cold dark cell
the borstal boy did ring his bell
when they found him hanging dead
this is what his letter read
"dig my grave, wide and deep
plant red roses at my feet
on my chest place a turtle dove
to show the world I died for love"
Now all you girls keep in mind
a borstal boy is hard to find
so if you find one love him true

for a borstal boy would die for you :sick::sick::sick::sick:

We also carried copies of Judy Blume giggling over the 'dirty bits'. Later it would be Flowers in the Attic.

At secondary we would go round the old folks home doing Christmas carols and I was almost suspended for singing a filthy version of the 12 days of Christmas, didn't realise the teacher was stood behind me. She let me sing all of it before she let on.

We also had to know every move to Papa Don't Preach and perform it every break whilst still being 'cool'

All the girls wanted to be my best mate because my cousin was the school heart throb and was the spit of Andrew Ridgely from Wham
omg judy blume! I read pretty much all of her books when I was about 9/10 (probably too young) and remembered them as really racy (in parts) I read a couple of them last year (as an adult) and they were no way as racy as i remembered!

Reactions: 3
We sung this (or a very similar version) in Year 4 and looking back, it's kinda creepy 😬😬😬

We are the *school name* girls,
We wear our hair in curls
We wear our bras so tight
It is a sexy sight
You know the boy next door
He got me on the floor
He gave me 50 pence
To go behind the fence
He counted 1-2-3
He stuck it into me
My mother was surprised
To see my belly rise
My father jumped for joy
To see a new baby boy

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
We sung this (or a very similar version) in Year 4 and looking back, it's kinda creepy 😬😬😬

We are the *school name* girls,
We wear our hair in curls
We wear our bras so tight
It is a sexy sight
You know the boy next door
He got me on the floor
He gave me 50 pence
To go behind the fence
He counted 1-2-3
He stuck it into me
My mother was surprised
To see my belly rise
My father jumped for joy
To see a new baby boy
I'd been debating earlier whether to share my memory of this one but the version I knew had some slightly different lyrics, which in all honesty are a bit rapey. I'd be absolutely horrified if my children were singing things like that age 6 or 7. Yey for the late 80's eh 😬

Reactions: 6
I remember going into the toilets, scrunching up and wetting those paper towels and then launching them onto the ceiling, where they would stick for all eternity, for reasons I’m still not sure of.
HAHAHA, I did that in primary school and got into trouble

• Haha
We did sing "flying purple people eater" as well as chart songs.

Parents would probably moan today.
That sounded like one hell of a crazy school you attended I love hearing your stories πŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1