Savanna Brockhill & Frankie Smith #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mitigating factors include:

a) an intention to cause serious bodily harm rather than kill;
b) lack of premeditation;
c) the offender suffers from a mental disorder or disability (not falling within section 2(1) of the Homicide Act 1957) which lowered their degree of culpability;
d) the offender was provoked in a way not amounting to a defence of provocation;
e) the offender acted to any extent in self-defence;
f) a belief by the offender that the murder was an act of mercy;
g) the age of the offender.
The court should also consider any previous convictions, whether the offence was committed on bail and if the offender pleaded guilty.

So only A and B as possibilities, but she’d googled what happens and proceeded to repeatedly assault Star anyway. It’ll be very interesting to see what KG says if SB refuses to accept that she’s guilty. She can’t say “SB only intended harm not death” if SB won’t even admit she hit Star.

Reactions: 5
Home after a 16 hour shift at work and not been able to comment before now but have been reading the thread

I think the jury was considering a verdict of murder for FS hence the question of her being in the room, there was definite doubt if she was in the room when it happened and if they thought she had of been that would have enabled them to give guilty verdict even if she did not inflict any injury. I think they will have toyed with this theory as if you are aware that your partner is slam chocking your child, swinging her by her legs and she is coming back looking like them photos and crying in pain you have to at least consider the murder charge for FS

However, there must have been enough doubt for it to be causing and allowing and after seeing the images today I think that would have been an easy decision to make. No way anybody could doubt that someone knew that wasn't right.

I think we will see tomorrow with the sentencing what the judge actually makes of the mitigating circumstances such as her limitations and obvious own abuse at the hands of SB and coercive control. I think the judge will still give FS a big sentence as you cannot see them images and not think she needs to be accountable.

I am thinking SB will get 25-30yrs and I think FS will get 8-10

Reactions: 10
I also will never begin to understand what possesses these evil, vile individuals to carry out such horrific acts. Once is horrendous enough but a sustained, planned campaign of sadistic violence, fear, terror and pain? Its absolutely inhumane. I find it too hard to cope with the fact that some people are just this evil, and that it doesn't necessarily have to be a result of serious psychiatric illness etc. I just cannot ever comprehend how anyone could hurt a defenceless, vulnerable baby or animal. It sickens me to my stomach. I was unable to read a lot of the finer details and recordings etc from this case, it is just too traumatic.

• Sad
I didn’t want to say it but I do think FS will attempt to end her own life, if not while she’s inside then when she gets out if she doesn’t get some serious help.
I can not even begin to comprehend losing a child, but to lose a child in such horrific circumstances and knowing you’re somewhat to blame?

• Sad
Reactions: 20

The court should also consider any previous convictions, whether the offence was committed on bail and if the offender pleaded guilty.

So only A and B as possibilities, but she’d googled what happens and proceeded to repeatedly assault Star anyway. It’ll be very interesting to see what KG says if SB refuses to accept that she’s guilty. She can’t say “SB only intended harm not death” if SB won’t even admit she hit Star.
That's interesting, thank you for posting. I'm still a bit confused regarding " if SB refuses to accept that she’s guilty." Isn't that exactly what she will do but now the jury have decided she is her protests mean nothing, could it actually help her sentence if she now admits or would that make it longer? Sorry to drag this out, I'm just interested in the process

Reactions: 3

Agreed. Her lack of remorse or honesty will go against her as well. As i suspect it will for FS too.

I imagine counsel all feel they did their jobs to the best of their ability. I feel for them, and the judge, and the jury. Being thrown into this horrible world. Having to go over heartbreaking evidence. It's so unfair. Had Brockhill pleaded guilty they would have all been spared this.

I hope she rots from the inside out. And if FS feels even a little bit as afraid, humiliated and alone as her baby daughter must have felt then that won't be a bad thing either.

That's interesting, thank you for posting. I'm still a bit confused regarding " if SB refuses to accept that she’s guilty." Isn't that exactly what she will do but now the jury have decided she is her protests mean nothing, could it actually help her sentence if she now admits or would that make it longer? Sorry to drag this out, I'm just interested in the process

A guilty plea only makes a difference if you make it before the trial starts. Once it has started it would only make you look worse.

Agreed. Her lack of remorse or honesty will go against her as well. As i suspect it will for FS too.

I imagine counsel all feel they did their jobs to the best of their ability. I feel for them, and the judge, and the jury. Being thrown into this horrible world. Having to go over heartbreaking evidence. It's so unfair. Had Brockhill pleaded guilty they would have all been spared this.

I hope she rots from the inside out. And if FS feels even a little bit as afraid, humiliated and alone as her baby daughter must have felt then that won't be a bad thing either.
The evidence suggests that FS does feel remorse.

Reactions: 11
I didn’t want to say it but I do think FS will attempt to end her own life, if not while she’s inside then when she gets out if she doesn’t get some serious help.
I can not even begin to comprehend losing a child, but to lose a child in such horrific circumstances and knowing you’re somewhat to blame?
I actually worry about that too once the sentancing has sealed her fate

• Sad
Reactions: 1
The photos and videos are horrific, and I think it will be a longer sentence than I originally expected, but when I look at the evidence I can’t see anything that shows for sure that she knew of any serious violence. I just think about all the messages, all the photos, all the videos, and there’s nothing about covering up serious injury, nothing about knowing about it. Just a bit at the end about fingers and marks. I understand everyone saying “how could she not know” but I also know social services believed the explanation, so if it was SBs lie, why wouldn’t FS believe it. And it wasn’t the first time.

Also really curious about the decision of her dad to take his life on her birthday. That seems really spiteful. He wasn’t a saint himself by all accounts. After I read that I thought Frankie will do the same thing. What an absolute mess.
Perhaps, but the way I see it is that FS cancelled visits from SS because she didn’t want them to see the bruises, she admitted she was worried they would take Star. Now, if a parent knows bruises are innocent would they be worried? Probably not. This begs the question whether she really didn’t understand that such severe bruising (and I believe the most harrowing ones have not even been released) does not just happen from accidents. Star’s face is covered in bruises in that video, even her ears are green. If she didn’t cause these bruises herself then surely you’d think where are they from? Also, I believe SS only saw Star a couple of times, the visits when Star had the most severe bruising were either not scheduled or postponed.

Reactions: 7

Oh I think FS feels all of that and more, I read somewhere (Not Facebook) That FS hasn't come to terms with Star's death at all, that she still speaks as if she is alive

• Sad
and losing her dad, whom she seemed close to, and he apparently ended his life because of what she did. I did feel for her when she burst into tears when murder and manslaughter was not guilty. That charge is made for SB

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’d be surprised if she suddenly admits it and comes with a mitigation argument of “yes I did it but I didn’t mean to kill her”. But that’s basically all she’s got. Curious about the nod when the verdict was read out. Was it an accepting nod or a sarcastic “of course you’ve found me guilty, in a gypsy lesbian, you’re all racist homophobics” nod.
I don’t think admitting it would give her a shorter sentence at this stage, except I suppose refusing to admit it could result in a longer sentence.

Reactions: 15
No chance at rehabilitation for SB she has shown no remorse, she will never answer why she did what she did to poor Star. I am with you on hoping she does end up in the same prison as Joanna Dennehy. SB will not know what is coming lurking behind every corner she will be the lowest of the low in prison.
I don't usually wish harm on people etc but SB really does deserve all she gets in prison, I cant imagine there are many cons that are lower than her. I would have thought it'll also be task and a half for the prison service to protect her 24/7 and despite measures like putting her on a protected wing etc, it can't be impossible and im sure if someone wanted to get to her they could.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The photos and videos are horrific, and I think it will be a longer sentence than I originally expected, but when I look at the evidence I can’t see anything that shows for sure that she knew of any serious violence. I just think about all the messages, all the photos, all the videos, and there’s nothing about covering up serious injury, nothing about knowing about it. Just a bit at the end about fingers and marks. I understand everyone saying “how could she not know” but I also know social services believed the explanation, so if it was SBs lie, why wouldn’t FS believe it. And it wasn’t the first time.

Also really curious about the decision of her dad to take his life on her birthday. That seems really spiteful. He wasn’t a saint himself by all accounts. After I read that I thought Frankie will do the same thing. What an absolute mess.
Honestly agree with every last word you said. I really hope Frankie doesn’t do anything to harm herself, she’s the only one that’s able to sort their life out in my eyes. She’s lost her daughter in the worst way but she can still get rehabilitated and get the help and support she needs to be able to function a normal life again. I also don’t think it’s fair people on facebook saying Frankie has another death on her hands with her dad committing suicide, if anyone’s to blame its SB for ripping the family apart and taking Star.

Reactions: 9
You know the drill:

TW: themes of domestic violence & violence towards and eventual murder of a child.

We’ve been following the live updates for the trial for the murder of infant Star Hobson provided by the Telegraph & Argus, they set it as the main banner image daily for anyone who would like to follow.

A verdict was reached this morning of Tuesday 14th December. Day 38 of the trial.

Savanna Brockhill has been found guilty of the murder of Star Hobson.

Frankie Smith, Star’s mother, has been found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a child.

Sentencing is at 2pm on Wednesday 15th December.

May you rest in peace, Star ⭐
Rest in peace little one. ⭐

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’d be surprised if she suddenly admits it and comes with a mitigation argument of “yes I did it but I didn’t mean to kill her”. But that’s basically all she’s got. Curious about the nod when the verdict was read out. Was it an accepting nod or a sarcastic “of course you’ve found me guilty, in a gypsy lesbian, you’re all racist homophobics” nod.
I don’t think admitting it would give her a shorter sentence at this stage, except I suppose refusing to admit it could result in a longer sentence.
I think you have coined the nod and it wasn't A.

Reactions: 2
I thinks she may admit it at a later date for parole reasons, and to show remorse but whether that will be a true version of events is another thing. I don't think FS will reveal more she doesn't need to (if in fact there even is more to reveal) but because she did admit to some cruelty she is already showing remorse that will only help her in future parole applications

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.