Sam and Nic Chapman - Pixiewoos

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
#worldsuicidepreventionday here is a photo of me in a bikini purposefully angling myself to look ~so skinny~ :sick:

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Thanks for all the comments, it's good to read other people's views 💗
Now I am off to do a bit of thinking

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So have I in that case. There's so many other ways she could have expressed her point
Obviously. But what? By posting The same generic picture of someone looking sad. Her in her bed with no makeup on, under the duvet? It’s not real. She was honest and said I’ve been there. She made the point that you can still try to look good, you can ‘show off’, you’re not moping around, hiding saying don’t take my picture, I look tit. Look at Caroline Flack, night red lip, big smile - dead hours later.
I don’t know why everyone is so offended by her ‘trying to look thin’ - so what. If she took an unflattering picture it wouldn’t be the point. The whole point is that you look normal, you ‘do normal’ but inside you’re dying.
She was also actively making the point that slim doesn’t = happy and healthy. She’s said that everyone was saying ‘wow you look great’ when her intention was to disappear, depression looks many ways. She’s saying that it’s wrong and unhealthy to assume.

Reactions: 23
Why does a post about suicide prevention need a selfie of her at all? The influencer world is narcissistic and they have a tendency to make everything about themselves. Sometimes the most effective message is the simplest one- a simple post raising awareness and mentioning a charity to donate to, for instance.

Plus, she's making a link between physical appearance and depression. I don't mean looking outwardly happy but actual physical appearance. It's reductive. She could even have gone down the route of mentioning how she appears to have it all, a successful career and possessions etc. What she posted just looked like humble bragging, IMO

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Why does a post about suicide prevention need a selfie of her at all? The influencer world is narcissistic and they have a tendency to make everything about themselves. Sometimes the most effective message is the simplest one- a simple post raising awareness and mentioning a charity to donate to, for instance.

Plus, she's making a link between physical appearance and depression. I don't mean looking outwardly happy but actual physical appearance. It's reductive. She could even have gone down the route of mentioning how she appears to have it all, a successful career and possessions etc. What she posted just looked like humble bragging, IMO
By making it about herself she said she could have it too. If she posted something generic it’s distancing, like ‘that would never affect me’. She literally put herself in the picture rather than paying lip service - here’s a screenshot of my charity donation that could’ve been a fiver so you all know how great and charitable I am.
I personally don’t see a problem with making a link to physical appearance when it’s challenging. As I said, most depression images are baggy clothes, sad, Limp hair, slouched posture. She’s pointing out that’s not always the case.
Each to their own, for you it misses the mark. but for me the post was the best one I saw. She embraced it without embarrassment or distancing and that says it can happen to anyone, despite appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
I do understand how people have come to their assumptions on these photos but I think it’s great she’s shared them. People have this view of someone with suicidal thoughts and depression needing to look and be a certain way.

Someone like her in the public eye may appear to the outside world and to social media as pretending to be and feel a certain way, when actually the reality is very different. I’m pleased she shared the photos because yes she looks beautiful, skinny, whatever you want to say - but she’s also feeling incredibly low and doesn’t have the perfect life that some might think she has. People need to learn not to assume what anyone is going through by judging how they are on the outside.

She might also be trying to convince herself that she’s happy, and yet inside she’s questioning whether she even wants to be alive.

Reactions: 15
You’ve massively missed the point
Thank you ever so much for your condescending comment.

Perhaps you are so desperate to see her posts as helpful that you’re inferring something that isn’t there.

How can you not see the irony in someone posting about ‘being real’ whilst posting photos of her angling herself to look skinnier than she is to get comments on it?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Thank you ever so much for your condescending comment.

Perhaps you are so desperate to see her posts as helpful that you’re inferring something that isn’t there.

How can you not see the irony in someone posting about ‘being real’ whilst posting photos of her angling herself to look skinnier than she is to get comments on it?
Jesus. Why on earth would I be ‘desperate’ to see her as helpful.
1. It’s not a post for comments, it was a story
2. It makes no mention of ‘being real’ - it’s not a post about that are all. Talk about inferring things that aren’t there.

Reactions: 5
Jesus. Why on earth would I be ‘desperate’ to see her as helpful.
1. It’s not a post for comments, it was a story
2. It makes no mention of ‘being real’ - it’s not a post about that are all. Talk about inferring things that aren’t there.
1. She has posted all of these photos a number of times before.
2. You seemed to think her ~authenticity made her better than other posts re suicide prevention. “paying lip service”

She’s always been a bit of an idiot so none of this surprises me about her.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It's disingenuous to post a comment saying "I was thinner than I was at age 13 and didn't notice ". This is patently bullshit. She revelled in her weightloss at the time posting selfie after selfie of her new "improved" physique. And once again posts them to make a facile point on having depression.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
By making it about herself she said she could have it too. If she posted something generic it’s distancing, like ‘that would never affect me’. She literally put herself in the picture rather than paying lip service - here’s a screenshot of my charity donation that could’ve been a fiver so you all know how great and charitable I am.
I personally don’t see a problem with making a link to physical appearance when it’s challenging. As I said, most depression images are baggy clothes, sad, Limp hair, slouched posture. She’s pointing out that’s not always the case.
Each to their own, for you it misses the mark. but for me the post was the best one I saw. She embraced it without embarrassment or distancing and that says it can happen to anyone, despite appearances.
I respect what you're saying and it's always good to hear different viewpoints but I do find it hard to believe that an influencer posting selfies is the best post you've seen. There's been poignant posts from people who've lost loved ones to suicide.

And with respect, I don't think anyone associates baggy clothes and limp hair with depression. Maybe someone just couldn't be bothered on that particular day. Maybe their hair just won't sit right or they wore baggy clothes for comfort. It's important not to make assumptions either way and that's why Sam's post misses the mark for me. As has been said, her point is extremely facile.

She’s always been a bit of an idiot so none of this surprises me about her.
I'd agree that the Chapman sisters aren't known for their intelligence

Reactions: 2
I respect what you're saying and it's always good to hear different viewpoints but I do find it hard to believe that an influencer posting selfies is the best post you've seen. There's been poignant posts from people who've lost loved ones to suicide.

And with respect, I don't think anyone associates baggy clothes and limp hair with depression. Maybe someone just couldn't be bothered on that particular day. Maybe their hair just won't sit right or they wore baggy clothes for comfort. It's important not to make assumptions either way and that's why Sam's post misses the mark for me. As has been said, her point is extremely facile.

I'd agree that the Chapman sisters aren't known for their intelligence
Just to address points you make.... I appreciated Sam’s as it was direct and about herself rather than about the effect of a relative. That’s what made it different to me.
Ans if you google search images for ‘people with depression’ or similar that’s the kind of images you see, the link hair, hood up, sitting in a corner, so I believe it is something that’s perpetuated. There’s barely a picture of someone smiling, looking smart.

And no, they may not be that bright but she knows what she lived through, she May not please everyone with her post and may be arrogant or what have you but she doesn’t need to be smart to express her own experience and what she feels depicts that.

Regardless we all have different opinions.

Reactions: 6
Her job is based on looks. Literally how to make your face and appearance change to be something different. If i was sat at my desk screaming on the inside I would look like a normal coping person. The day before I was signed off work I was leading meetings, doing the stuff that my job involved. If her job involves posting selfies then I don't see the fuss.
I also think it's a bit of a low blow to insult her intelligence or suggest because she's posting those photos that she's insincere. Whatever you might think of her professionally none of us are in any way informed or educated enough to know what's going on behind closed doors or inside someone's head. Just because you don't like her or the way she expresses herself doesn't mean her experiences are any less valid or painful. Some people find pictures easier to illustrate their points than words, and it's a sad state of affairs if this can't be recognised and taken on board with such a serious subject

Reactions: 15
Her job is based on looks. Literally how to make your face and appearance change to be something different. If i was sat at my desk screaming on the inside I would look like a normal coping person. The day before I was signed off work I was leading meetings, doing the stuff that my job involved. If her job involves posting selfies then I don't see the fuss.
I also think it's a bit of a low blow to insult her intelligence or suggest because she's posting those photos that she's insincere. Whatever you might think of her professionally none of us are in any way informed or educated enough to know what's going on behind closed doors or inside someone's head. Just because you don't like her or the way she expresses herself doesn't mean her experiences are any less valid or painful. Some people find pictures easier to illustrate their points than words, and it's a sad state of affairs if this can't be recognised and taken on board with such a serious subject
Very well said. And at the end of the day her intentions were good. She didn't have to post anything but decided to put out the very important message which was basically that no matter what people look like on the outside or how happy they appear they might be really struggling.

Reactions: 13
Yes I shouldn't have said that about her intelligence and I feel bad for it. Am just a bit jaded with influencers at the moment but it's good to hear other viewpoints

Reactions: 7
Am just a bit jaded with influencers
Same. I think it's hard to ever say their intentions are only ever good as what I suspect they care about most is getting an endorphin hit from engagement. So posting selfies to support a good cause is a slam dunk win win, they get the buzz from attention and the warm fuzzy feeling from doing something good. If there was nothing in it for them would they do it? Social media does give the great excuse to scream and shout about your charity work.

Reactions: 10
Same. I think it's hard to ever say their intentions are only ever good as what I suspect they care about most is getting an endorphin hit from engagement. So posting selfies to support a good cause is a slam dunk win win, they get the buzz from attention and the warm fuzzy feeling from doing something good. If there was nothing in it for them would they do it? Social media does give the great excuse to scream and shout about your charity work.
Isn't the endorphin hit for everybody? why does anyone post literally anything about their lives on social media? We all get an endorphin hit from instagram stories, tweets and photos. It isn't exclusive to influencers. There are research papers confirming this. Having social media, satisfies the narcissistic traits in everyone. Influencers probably have that dialled upto 100x.

I liked her post. I think it was a unique perspective, because high functioning patients with depression do exist. She was skinny af, she was doing well, On vacation and still downright miserable. That's a perspective people don't often share.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.