Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re Debbie Harry, does anyone recall her reaction to Madonna tripping on her cape at the Brits? It was priceless. Along the lines of "M is queen (long since advocated that) and you just wish you were as good at tripping as she is"

Couldn't see anything in response to Madonna's Eurovision disaster....

"I think it was writing for The Pool that zoned me in to how dreadful she is and now I can't zone out. Her articles were so superior - do as I do, if you don't do as I do and think you are a DUMMY.

Plus the cool- bragging she likes to get in everywhere, once you notice that there's no un-noticing it."

Love this!

She always inserts herself into everything she writes and in such a superior way. She is incapable of writing anything without including a hefty humble brag.
She wrote that although getting the guardian column was great it has also stopped her being taken seriously as a journalist in anything outside of beauty. So it's the guardian's fault not her lack of substance.
Then why "write" a book about the queen's appearance and talk about the queen throwing shade! The fact that she uses that terminology about the queen "makes my piss boil". It's so weirdly inappropriate.

Her next column - 23 times the queen was woke AF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Non surgical removal of hooded lids can be done with a plasma pen which blasts the surface of the skin. End result is shrunken eyelids. Post procedure left with very pink eyelids. Anyone remember an Instagram post when Sali looked like she was wearing lots of pink eye shadow without mascara? Totally uncharacteristic look for her.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
She's gone all feisty again on Twitter on the subject of {{{yawn}}} Madonna and ageism. A man (horror) wrote a review of Madge's latest mentioning her age. So Sali has waded in all po faced and humourless. The writer replied and she rudely told him in effect his opinion didn't matter as she has spoken to women and they all agree with her so he really shouldn't 'double down' :LOL: (ie defend himself).
Hirons has joined in calling the man a 'bleeping prick'. Why are they all so vile?

Reactions: 6
She's gone all feisty again on Twitter on the subject of {{{yawn}}} Madonna and ageism. A man (horror) wrote a review of Madge's latest mentioning her age. So Sali has waded in all po faced and humourless. The writer replied and she rudely told him in effect his opinion didn't matter as she has spoken to women and they all agree with her so he really shouldn't 'double down' :LOL: (ie defend himself).
Hirons has joined in calling the man a 'bleeping prick'. Why are they all so vile?
A lesson on how to not win arguments from these supposedly posh ladies....

CH cannot help but poke her nose in , I don’t think SH needs her back up but CH is like the bouncer wanting to get involved.

Reactions: 1
No, they're not in the least posh - SH is proudly working class didn't you know - despite not being working class at all these days. And ladylike can get in the bin.

I quite enjoy 'them' going in on behalf of women - I'm sick of all that tit too. But SH can't have a civil swapping of views, you're wrong she's right you're a fule.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Years ago I read on Guru Gossip that many years before Sali Hughes had made a nasty tweet about Lauren Luke's Guardian beauty column. A few months later Sali replaced Lauren in The Guardian. Sali always likes to be seen as a champion of women so I found the tweet and challenged her about this on Twitter. She was very snippy about being criticised and deleted her anti Lauren tweet straight away.

Reactions: 5
Yes, getting The Guardian gig straight out of slagging the old one on Twitter is a key event on her Story of Sali Timeline -obviously it's quite a bland version of the above now (which I didn't know about). The unreliable narrator strikes again.

Perhaps I need to start another thread somewhere but Grace Dent's presence in the Moron, Laverne etc girl gang and now complete absence fascinates me. What's gone on there? Another unreliable narrator - she likes to trumpet the childfree life choice, repeatedly - it's one of about 6 yearly articles she rolls out like clock work along with leopard print as a neutral etc, but I know full well I read a Marie Claire article by her in which she talked about being unable to have children, being prodded black and blue in pursuit of finding out why. I asked her about it on Insta and she deleted my comment - presumably it's not on brand for her now she likes a decadent, Liberace-esque look down her nose at the arseache and mucky/dreary inconvenience of having children about.

Yes, getting The Guardian gig straight out of slagging the old one on Twitter is a key event on her Story of Sali Timeline -obviously it's quite a bland version of the above now (which I didn't know about). The unreliable narrator strikes again.

Perhaps I need to start another thread somewhere but Grace Dent's presence in the Moron, Laverne etc girl gang and now complete absence fascinates me. What's gone on there? She is also an unreliable narrator - she likes to trumpet the childfree line, repeatedly - it's one of about 6 yearly articles she rolls out like clock work along with leopard print as a neutral etc, but I know full well I read a Marie Claire article by her in which she talked about being unable to have children, being prodded black and blue in pursuit of finding out why. I asked her about it on Insta and she deleted my comment presumably it's not on brand for her now she likes a decadent, Liberace-esque look down her nose at the arseache of having children about.

Yes the Grace Dent thing intrigued me too. She was so heavily in the twitter clique then seemed to disappear. Would love to know if there was a falling out, or if Grace Dent just started to see through their smug emperor’s new clothes?

Grace Dent was recently on a podcast and referenced not having children. It was sampled on last week’s High Low podcast but can’t remember what the original show was. Anyway the gist to me seemed to be that Grace Dent perhaps couldn’t have children but decided not to (further?) pursue fertility treatments and was talking about worrying about regretting it in the future but that she was pretty sure it was the right decision for her.

I wondered that too - if she spotted which way it was going, smug/ intolerable and decided to withdraw (online) before it got to that stage.

That's interesting, between the article (I read years ago and that podcast she's certainly taken an UGH ORRIBLE LITTLE URCHINS stance rather than framing it as a difficulty that led to a choice. I've been watching closely.

From Instagram today.

There she goes again, been buying the brand for years, despite literally never once mentioning it until a couple of weeks ago. She must have a whole other house to store all the products she's been "buying for years", and "recommending since forever" but totally never mentioned online.
This, I think, was my final straw. Integrity zero.

So, the fact that she is an average at best journalist/writer has obviously annoyed her to the extend that she is now trying to bulldoze her way onto the Pixiwoo/Hirons/Baggott etc bandwagon but of course that doesn’t match too well with her Moran/Knight/Laverne etc pals. That’s the gang she wants to be associated with professionally. Fail.

Lisa Eldridge is is another league, light years ahead. SH will never even be able to compete.

• Sick
I don't know how Lisa E has passed me by - I've checked her out, she might be a bit glossy for me. Perhaps I respond to CH because she's not at all glossy :D

I didn't know Grace Dent used to be in their gang. How disappointing. I like her writing style.

It's so weird when middle aged mums have such disgusting purile toilet humour and thinks it's hot/trendy or whatever.

Being unable to listen or accept a different view is a sure sign you're most definitely not smart. As is showing yourself up by consistently insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you. Swearing or name calling= you've lost. Not only the argument but any hope of being taken seriously as a journalist, anywhere. Need pulp with pictures, Sali's your women. In-depth well researched and presented news item, no way.

I remember Grace Dent and Caitlin Moran were proper Twitter mates. Can't remember much about SH at the time, think she had started to crow-bar herself into the gang.

"Being unable to listen or accept a different view is a sure sign you're most definitely not smart. As is showing yourself up by consistently insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you. Swearing or name calling= you've lost"

Absolutely this.

Yep, years and years ago, before I became enlightened, I went to a panel thing at the British Library about *northern/insert other place* women with working class backgrounds coming to London and that experience - it was Grace Dent, *Lauren Laverne and the Moron - chaired by Stuart Marconie.

I'm not sure if GD's just done an online bunk. When they were all getting involved in the Repeal the 8th campaign I saw Polly Vernon say she, Moron and Dent had been at a protest together - and that was only last year but GD *checks spreadsheet* hasn't interacted online with any of them for donkey's.

*AS IF LAUREN LAVERNE IS WORKING CLASS - 1 parent a teacher, t'other a university academic.

• Haha
Well I never knew about the Grace Dent thing but Sali doesn’t follow her on Instagram. She does follow Lise Eldridge.

I've never seen SH and GD overlap or interact but SH is now Moron's bezzie and back in the day GD and Moron were bezzies.

Grace Dent was HUGE on Twitter years ago. I never followed her but used to see her all the time via retweets. Didn’t she even write a (really tedious sounding) book about Being Twitter Popular?

Maybe that’s why she was allowed in their gang, but when her popularity waned...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.