Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I ask how you found the stuff being said up to the point SH made her video? As in, do you think that SH's video gave an accurate summary of what had been said?
I appreciate the threads hot a lot bitchier after that video.
Not @Gettae, but I'm one of the many who came here after the Friday video (and SH's tweet referring to Tattle Life of which I had not previously heard). I read the then recent posts and - finding it to be different from the way SH described it - ended up reading through the two and three-quarter threads up to that point to try to make sense of it.

It seemed immediately clear to me - from the posts in the days leading to the Friday video - that the video was a panicked response to her 'stalking' of Tattle members having been mentioned on the Estee Laundry website. Offence being the best form of defence and all that. I felt sad for the poster here who had an old FB picture of their child 'liked' by SH - and felt so spooked that she left Tattle. I hope she came back.

When I read through the two and three-quarter threads I was looking particularly for the issues about which SH expressed upset and outrage in the video: her children being targeted, an unknown person being said to be her father, a friend being called fat, ugly and boring, derogatory remarks about her husband. In each case there was a small speck of truth but distorted out of recognition.

For example, the issue about her father. In the context of discussing honesty, there had been comments here about apparent discrepancies in the way SH described her background. She then posted a photo on IG of her late father and someone commented that he looked like a rather colonial type, seemingly at odds with what she had written about having a working class background. In that context, a poster included a link to the obituary of a man named Hughes and wondered whether it could have been her father. Another poster replied saying that it couldn't because of the dates. The original poster then immediately said something along the lines of 'Oh yes, you're right. Sorry'. So, yes, someone here briefly speculated that a particular person might have been her father but it was very quickly and clearly accepted as mistaken. From the outrage with which it was described in the video, however, you would have got the impression that Tattle was maliciously spreading this misinformation.

Every instance was similar. As someone said upthread, from the Friday video you would have thought there were people hiding in the bushes taking pictures of her children on their way to school rather than merely a couple of comments here expressing surprise that she had posted a picture of her child.

The Friday video made a lot of what I think were a couple of genuine mistakes here. I think it was wrongly said here - or certainly implied - that SH had a commercial relationship with Charlotte Tilbury and that her 'writers retreat' at a Swiss clinic was an undeclared freebie. Given the amount of airtime SH has given to CT products and her apparent acceptance of other '#presstrips' I think neither was an unreasonable - if mistaken - assumption.

There were a couple of posters whose comments here I felt a bit uncomfortable with - seemed unnecessarily mean - but to a very great extent I found that I agreed with what people had been saying. I hadn't given SH a great deal of thought up until then, but once I did - yes, I didn't think it was right that she'd been using pictures of her face to illustrate products when clearly (in my view) she'd had cosmetic procedures about which she hadn't been open until recently and I had been irritated for a while by the '#presstreatments' which were just freebies and the apparent intolerance of any challenge or questioning.

My biggest complaint, though, is that video. I was - and still am - outraged on behalf of the people here at the way they were misrepresented. I was - and still am - shocked at the way in which so many others piled in, ready to criticise in the most aggressive terms without bothering to inform themselves as to the facts.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found it. I very much enjoy the discussion.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Why are so many podcasts just interviews with other podcasters about different podcasts?
It’s so boring and lazy, I 100 % agree...that’s why I like Elizabeth Day’s podcast so much - genuinely interesting people who are not just doing the podfam rounds. I used to like Emma Guns’ podcast but I find her to be a bit cliquey at times. The High Low is also decent if you can handle the hosts - I love their recommendations and approach to subjects (although I was slightly irritated that they haven’t addressed the CH debarcle, but then again who really gives flying f*** ? )

Not @Gettae, but I'm one of the many who came here after the Friday video (and SH's tweet referring to Tattle Life of which I had not previously heard). I read the then recent posts and - finding it to be different from the way SH described it - ended up reading through the two and three-quarter threads up to that point to try to make sense of it.

It seemed immediately clear to me - from the posts in the days leading to the Friday video - that the video was a panicked response to her 'stalking' of Tattle members having been mentioned on the Estee Laundry website. Offence being the best form of defence and all that. I felt sad for the poster here who had an old FB picture of their child 'liked' by SH - and felt so spooked that she left Tattle. I hope she came back.

When I read through the two and three-quarter threads I was looking particularly for the issues about which SH expressed upset and outrage in the video: her children being targeted, an unknown person being said to be her father, a friend being called fat, ugly and boring, derogatory remarks about her husband. In each case there was a small speck of truth but distorted out of recognition.

For example, the issue about her father. In the context of discussing honesty, there had been comments here about apparent discrepancies in the way SH described her background. She then posted a photo on IG of her late father and someone commented that he looked like a rather colonial type, seemingly at odds with what she had written about having a working class background. In that context, a poster included a link to the obituary of a man named Hughes and wondered whether it could have been her father. Another poster replied saying that it couldn't because of the dates. The original poster then immediately said something along the lines of 'Oh yes, you're right. Sorry'. So, yes, someone here briefly speculated that a particular person might have been her father but it was very quickly and clearly accepted as mistaken. From the outrage with which it was described in the video, however, you would have got the impression that Tattle was maliciously spreading this misinformation.

Every instance was similar. As someone said upthread, from the Friday video you would have thought there were people hiding in the bushes taking pictures of her children on their way to school rather than merely a couple of comments here expressing surprise that she had posted a picture of her child.

The Friday video made a lot of what I think were a couple of genuine mistakes here. I think it was wrongly said here - or certainly implied - that SH had a commercial relationship with Charlotte Tilbury and that her 'writers retreat' at a Swiss clinic was an undeclared freebie. Given the amount of airtime SH has given to CT products and her apparent acceptance of other '#presstrips' I think neither was an unreasonable - if mistaken - assumption.

There were a couple of posters whose comments here I felt a bit uncomfortable with - seemed unnecessarily mean - but to a very great extent I found that I agreed with what people had been saying. I hadn't given SH a great deal of thought up until then, but once I did - yes, I didn't think it was right that she'd been using pictures of her face to illustrate products when clearly (in my view) she'd had cosmetic procedures about which she hadn't been open until recently and I had been irritated for a while by the '#presstreatments' which were just freebies and the apparent intolerance of any challenge or questioning.

My biggest complaint, though, is that video. I was - and still am - outraged on behalf of the people here at the way they were misrepresented. I was - and still am - shocked at the way in which so many others piled in, ready to criticise in the most aggressive terms without bothering to inform themselves as to the facts.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found it. I very much enjoy the discussion.
I’ve had a similar experience and thoughts to you regarding this. I agree the Estee Laundry comments kicked the whole thing off and that Sali has certainly conflated and exaggerated the situation. I think she’s very sensitive to The comments and maybe can’t stand the fact she is being discussed outside of her ‘work’ I’m talking about her dad, husband etc and understandably feels very protective. I’ve tried to imagine how I would feel if it was me and I would be really hacked off. The other stuff re DOP, general nastiness on Twitter (I’m not on Twitter), tweakments, undeclared ads etc then I’m afraid it’s all fair game and very disappointing to hear. I’m more ambivalent towards her than anything now and the whole matter has really made me question her integrity regarding recommendations. Also a fellow tear trough girl here and colour corrector doesn’t work. Sali certainly isn’t the only one, I think Alex Steinherr is pretty bad a declaring stuff and also her videos and pictures are very heavily filtered which really pisses me off because I do like her content on the whole but just feel she isn’t wholly transparent. Her skin is beautiful but she does have lines around her eyes (have met her IRL) and it would be good to see her without the filters and lighting especially as she is a beauty and skincare expert / influencer / content creator.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
John Lewis beauty reductions klaxon!

I tried scrolling but can’t see who I mentioned this to, re Tom Ford, but...

perfumes are 17% off
Other beauty 15% off

I’m behind on here, rl takes over and I’m mad as hell!😁😁.

KJT has taught me to get the best from my base and I’ve been lashing it on for a very long time in a not so considerate manner ; one is never too old to learn something new .

Her technique and advice has worked fantastically well and I look ( in my eye) a lot fresher and my make up lasts longer.

Love her ❤
After reading your comment here I went away and researched how KJH does her make up and tried it this morning. Wow, my make up looks completely different, even after walking to work in the rain! I have realised that I was also not being considerate to my skin and was very heavy handed. Thanks for this because I feel you've made a positive difference to my morning routine and I don't even know you 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just read this from Brit Beauty Blogger... get ready for influencers of a certain age all of sudden wanting to talk about menopause. Just out of the goodness of their hearts of course. Especially the ones NOT THERE YET.

“The marketing of menopause is about to go into overdrive with the launch of Kindra from P&G Ventures. It’s a range aimed at menopausal women and includes supplements and skin products plus products to tackle dryness. It’s such a fine line between taking advantage of a life stage and producing meaningful help and it’s yet to be seen which side of the line Kindra falls.”

The High Low is also decent if you can handle the hosts - I love their recommendations and approach to subjects (although I was slightly irritated that they haven’t addressed the CH debarcle, but then again who really gives flying f*** ? )
I generally like The High Low - partly because they tend to see different perspectives and haven't always made up their minds what they think about a subject. I suppose that reflects my own position a lot of the time. I marvel at the strong opinions some people have about things they don't know much about.

I saw somewhere that they have the same management as CH (MoD) and, from a quick check, it seems that they may have the same management/agent for some of their work.

I think she’s very sensitive to The comments and maybe can’t stand the fact she is being discussed outside of her ‘work’ I’m talking about her dad, husband etc and understandably feels very protective. I’ve tried to imagine how I would feel if it was me and I would be really hacked off.
I agree and I'd probably feel the same. But I do feel that if you put something online - e.g. pictures of family members - you can't expect to be able to control the opinions people have nor the connections they may make with other material you have also put online - e.g. articles you have written or interviews given about your personal life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Just read this from Brit Beauty Blogger... get ready for influencers of a certain age all of sudden wanting to talk about menopause. Just out of the goodness of their hearts of course. Especially the ones NOT THERE YET.

“The marketing of menopause is about to go into overdrive with the launch of Kindra from P&G Ventures. It’s a range aimed at menopausal women and includes supplements and skin products plus products to tackle dryness. It’s such a fine line between taking advantage of a life stage and producing meaningful help and it’s yet to be seen which side of the line Kindra falls.”
I'm sure P&G are not bothered by the projected $3.3 billion by 2023 the menopause treatment market will be making (https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinn...unches-new-brand-in-partnership-with-l-a.html)
As a skeptic (turned cynic), I see this only as a another marketing ploy a giant company is currently using. There are countless moisturisers on the market, as well as products for vaginal dryness, the supplement industry is massive and under-regulated in my opinion, please be careful what you take.

God, it makes me angry. Beauty companies have been ignoring women over 40 (and over 50 moreso) for years, but some bastard ad executive has decided that we are ripe for the fleecing, so they create a need and then sell us a solution for it.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
I agree and I'd probably feel the same. But I do feel that if you put something online - e.g. pictures of family members - you can't expect to be able to control the opinions people have nor the connections they may make with other material you have also put online - e.g. articles you have written or interviews given about your personal life.
I agree that reading this stuff (which she still insists she hasn't) would be upsetting. And, yes, there's been bitchiness and some posts are not particularly edifying.
However, SH has shared details of her life in a bid to boost her career. On GTL I remember her posting a picture of herself with Laverne who she was spending the evening with. Why was she doing this apart from to impress a bunch of (mostly) strangers. She also used to share pictures of her sons on GTL and I saw a picture of her sons when they were primary age in their school uniforms on her personal FB which was public. She got a free holiday at a farm and pictures of her sons on this holiday are still available online. Her sons' pictures have appeared on the Guardian website and in the print version of the paper.
She bragged on GTL about having met Jon Snow, how nice and fit he was and said she'd met him because her former husband worked for ITN.
She's constantly spoken about being WC but other things she's said about her parents seem to contradict this.
She tweeted information about a private individual, ridiculing them for retweets and attention over the Xmas period in 2009. SH's tweets have been deleted but manual RTs and replies show that she was doing this extensively and that she named the individual.
She wrote (in Red magazine, I think) about her estrangement from her mother. She mentioned this on GTL and explained that it wasn't available online because her brothers disagreed with and were upset by it. In view of this SH shared it via PM with GTL members. Which is how it ended up here. Why she felt the need to do this God knows.
Ditto re her husband. She's written about hiw she met him, about blended families/step-parents her decision to remarry and her wedding.
I sound like I'm on the defensive but I'm not and I'm not especially replying to any point you have made @Aude. But the woman has been really reckless with what she has shared to further her career and seem relatable. She's also engaged in just plain showing off.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Menopause is just another way make money off us. And true to form it will make up feel bad that we’re not doing the menopause right. Aren’t you moistening you’re vag with Fiji water and hibiscus flower. Keeping the sweats at bay with jarred attic air.
The companies don’t care, the influencers certainly don’t care.
Im all for conversation, I’m thefirst to admit I know nothing about the menopause. It just seems everything coming out will be jaded by statistics that can probably be traced back to Unilever or P&G.
It really hacks me off that people like SH, who are supposedly honesty and full of integrity don’t address this.
I’d love a ‘this claims to help with x, a study found....., but the study was done by y, so take with a pinch of salt’.
I really like Jane at BBB. I do find her quite honest and have taken heed of her recommendations before.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I agree that reading this stuff (which she still insists she hasn't) would be upsetting. And, yes, there's been bitchiness and some posts are not particularly edifying.
However, SH has shared details of her life in a bid to boost her career. On GTL I remember her posting a picture of herself with Laverne who she was spending the evening with. Why was she doing this apart from to impress a bunch of (mostly) strangers. She also used to share pictures of her sons on GTL and I saw a picture of her sons when they were primary age in their school uniforms on her personal FB which was public. She got a free holiday at a farm and pictures of her sons on this holiday are still available online. Her sons' pictures have appeared on the Guardian website and in the print version of the paper.
She bragged on GTL about having met Jon Snow, how nice and fit he was and said she'd met him because her former husband worked for ITN.
She's constantly spoken about being WC but other things she's said about her parents seem to contradict this.
She tweeted information about a private individual, ridiculing them for retweets and attention over the Xmas period in 2009. SH's tweets have been deleted but manual RTs and replies show that she was doing this extensively and that she named the individual.
She wrote (in Red magazine, I think) about her estrangement from her mother. She mentioned this on GTL and explained that it wasn't available online because her brothers disagreed with and were upset by it. In view of this SH shared it via PM with GTL members. Which is how it ended up here. Why she felt the need to do this God knows.
Ditto re her husband. She's written about hiw she met him, about blended families/step-parents her decision to remarry and her wedding.
I sound like I'm on the defensive but I'm not and I'm not especially replying to any point you have made @Aude. But the woman has been really reckless with what she has shared to further her career and seem relatable. She's also engaged in just plain showing off.
(y) In other words “she put herself online and people had opinions”

She wants it both ways. Yes I too can imagine reading the threads on here would be upsetting (we know you have Sali, own it) but it still doesn’t seem to soften the edges of her or make her think that perhaps her words had that effect on people, EC, LL, DOP, Diane Abbott, plus the countless other people she has snided at or snipped at for having the audacity to not blindly gush and fawn over her.

• Heart
After reading your comment here I went away and researched how KJH does her make up and tried it this morning. Wow, my make up looks completely different, even after walking to work in the rain! I have realised that I was also not being considerate to my skin and was very heavy handed. Thanks for this because I feel you've made a positive difference to my morning routine and I don't even know you 😘
I’m intrigued, tell me more! My foundation technique tends to be “lashings, all over” (I have tit skin) but it might not be doing me any favours. I’ve had a quite look on her YouTube channel but there aren’t many videos. What did you watch?

Reactions: 2
Oh god, I've been influenced!! Yikes!! By the lovely Lisa Eldridge no less. I've spent most of this week in bed with a chest infection, feeling like crap, so decided I might as well use the time constructively and watch some of Lisa's videos to brush up on my makeup techniques. I've really been struggling with blush application and she always uses her Suqqu cheek brush to apply blush and says how gorgeous it is ..... so I've cheered myself up by ordering one from Harrods. 😨😨😨😨 OMG ... £86 plus delivery. Gulp!

• Haha
Should SH have announced her book by now? It occurred to me today after seeing Ella Mills (Deliciously Ella) announce hers for pre-order, cover reveal etc, and that’s out 1 May.

I’m intrigued, tell me more! My foundation technique tends to be “lashings, all over” (I have tit skin) but it might not be doing me any favours. I’ve had a quite look on her YouTube channel but there aren’t many videos. What did you watch?
Her videos are mostly on Instagram.

I'm the same, I have acne scarring and large pores so I usually spread a ton of moisturiser on along with a hefty amount of foundation to try and hide it, but it just made it worse 😬. I didn't actually watch a video, I found this online when I did a search for "Katie Jane Hughes base" https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/professional-makeup-tips-katie-jane-hughes (hope I'm allowed to share this, sorry to the Mods if not!) and read the entire thing, then had it up on my phone this morning as I did my make up. I was chuffed because I already use Glow Tonic as an exfoliant right before make up and I had the Spectrum fan brush already in my collection. Result! I hope this helps you too xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh god, I've been influenced!! Yikes!! By the lovely Lisa Eldridge no less. I've spent most of this week in bed with a chest infection, feeling like crap, so decided I might as well use the time constructively and watch some of Lisa's videos to brush up on my makeup techniques. I've really been struggling with blush application and she always uses her Suqqu cheek brush to apply blush and says how gorgeous it is ..... so I've cheered myself up by ordering one from Harrods. 😨😨😨😨 OMG ... £86 plus delivery. Gulp!
Oh I’m jealous 😍

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.