Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I generally like The High Low - partly because they tend to see different perspectives and haven't always made up their minds what they think about a subject. I suppose that reflects my own position a lot of the time. I marvel at the strong opinions some people have about things they don't know much about.
This is a sign of intelligence. Being measured in your opinions, being aware of gaps in your own knowledge (or even not being aware of them), considering other points of view, being open to changing your mind as new information comes to light. Some of the most intelligent people I've read or seen interviewed are riddled with self-doubt, and are always so open and inquisitive and engaged. They truly love the learning process. On the other hand, there are those who feel they must have a staunch opinion on everything, and double down or get defensive when challenged. These people are usually binary thinkers, and divide the world into good/bad, and struggle with nuance, rarely just say "I don't know". They also greatly overestimate their own knowledge and intelligence. Anyway, Dunning and Kruger said it better :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 6
i Love KJH’s style of make up but I’m covered in freckles so if I put coverage on one part of my face, I need it everywhere as otherwise it looks odd and my skin is not good enough to leave it entirely blank (unless anyone has any tips to not having a look of random freckleless bits while covering enough to look less red and tired!).

Reactions: 1
Thanks for the Glossier replies! I decided to hold off on buying.. (though I am now being haunted by glossier ads everywhere!) I made a pact to myself to use up what I have. :) I can't believe how much I used to buy based on influencers..

About Lisa Eldridge and ITB - I wonder if Sali has ever approached her to appear? Judging by how many people request her, surely she has either not asked her because she doesnt want to feature her or has been turned down?

I like The High Low though had to have a break as I had a Dolly Alderton overload. She has been on everyone's podcast! Definitely true that the same people appear over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Oh god, I've been influenced!! Yikes!! By the lovely Lisa Eldridge no less. I've spent most of this week in bed with a chest infection, feeling like crap, so decided I might as well use the time constructively and watch some of Lisa's videos to brush up on my makeup techniques. I've really been struggling with blush application and she always uses her Suqqu cheek brush to apply blush and says how gorgeous it is ..... so I've cheered myself up by ordering one from Harrods. 😨😨😨😨 OMG ... £86 plus delivery. Gulp!
Had a terrible day one day at work this week. Ordered decade to cheer myself up. Worried would look like a goth but I didn’t care I just wanted a LE lippy. It’s lovely as a stain as she says so I’m pleased - she is lovely in that dark lip vid.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m intrigued, tell me more! My foundation technique tends to be “lashings, all over” (I have tit skin) but it might not be doing me any favours. I’ve had a quite look on her YouTube channel but there aren’t many videos. What did you watch?
Her Instagram is a treasure trove of tutorials, lives, IGTV etc... she’s very light with her base and I’ve also learnt so much from her....I’m in love with the Chanel Water Tint thingy as I find that evens my skin tone out, add some concealer and jobs a good un (ish) - the older I get the less Is more approach to make up seems to work better...
I am intrigued about tear trough fillers though - has anyone ever had them? (It scares me shitless tbh)
Also try Harrymakesitup on insta - she’s also great

Am I in the wrong place? I came here to seethe about how awful Sali is...
It’s very much a beauty banter group atm 🤣

This is a sign of intelligence. Being measured in your opinions, being aware of gaps in your own knowledge (or even not being aware of them), considering other points of view, being open to changing your mind as new information comes to light. Some of the most intelligent people I've read or seen interviewed are riddled with self-doubt, and are always so open and inquisitive and engaged. They truly love the learning process. On the other hand, there are those who feel they must have a staunch opinion on everything, and double down or get defensive when challenged. These people are usually binary thinkers, and divide the world into good/bad, and struggle with nuance, rarely just say "I don't know". They also greatly overestimate their own knowledge and intelligence. Anyway, Dunning and Kruger said it better :ROFLMAO:
One of my favourite sayings these days is how many splinters I’ve got on my backside because of the fences I sit on... but yeah ... who the hell really knows anything for sure?

Last edited:
Can I be a bit controversial? I don’t think those nude LE lipsticks are nice shades at all, they all just look a bit odd to me. I don’t think they look great on any of the people that she’s showing on her instagram either.
Each to their own I guess but I just can’t understand the love :confused:

Reactions: 3
@Fenella, I don’t think you are being controversial. I love LE and I have 3 of her previous lipsticks, however I am not tempted to buy any if the new range. They just don’t seem the sort of shades that would suit me skin colour. They seem very much geared up towards darker skin tones and there’s is nothing wrong with this at all.

Had a terrible day one day at work this week. Ordered decade to cheer myself up. Worried would look like a goth but I didn’t care I just wanted a LE lippy. It’s lovely as a stain as she says so I’m pleased - she is lovely in that dark lip vid.
i really fancy Decade even though I steer away from really dark shades usually. I love the look of the tone of it.

I'm the odd one out here. i rarely wear lipstick, maybe a couple of times a year. I am just not comfortable with how it looks on me 🤷‍♀️

Although I did find a red that actually suited me, blotted on, and worn only in dim lighting :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Can I be a bit controversial? I don’t think those nude LE lipsticks are nice shades at all, they all just look a bit odd to me. I don’t think they look great on any of the people that she’s showing on her instagram either.
Each to their own I guess but I just can’t understand the love :confused:
Nude lipsticks are wasted on me. I just can't see the point of them. I once did an extras job years ago that required makeup and the MUA said my lips couldn't really take nude lipstick as they were quite highly coloured anyway. I have clung to this meagre compliment and bored anybody within spitting distance with it ('did you know my lips are quite highly coloured?') - but I wonder if some people just don't suit a nude lipstick? I have tried several as they look nice on the tester etc but they always always make my lips look the same colour as my skin. There is certainly no way I would pay over £20 for one. They seem the same to me as clear mascara.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t think they look great on any of the people that she’s showing on her instagram either.

I know exactly what you mean. I just think that the online swatches - on her website - aren’t great. If you watch the Michelle Wang video (she bought all of them) they all look pretty good on her, and the photos of other buyers wearing them are pretty enticing, too.

the Rainbow Spill one I have is a beautiful colour, but I find that my lips have to be well moisturised in order to wear it. The CT ones, on the other hand, are some of the best mattes I have ever come across and are very easy to wear. I really love them and have quite a few (please don’t shoot me!!)

I wonder if some people just don't suit a nude lipstick?
For someone as pale as I am (think bathroom tile white - I am alabaster in BB Brown and Siberia in Nars) I have naturally berry toned lips, which makes it a pain to find a nude lipstick to go with heavy eye makeup. And Pillow Talk does not work for me at all! So I have just given up and use lip balm!

Last edited:
Why isn't the public blessed with her column today? Or should her "lovely ladies" be content with an ITB?

• Wow
Love this thread at the moment with all the beauty chat and lolz.

I have actually stopped going elsewhere and just come here when I have an idle minute or a beauty question and I am loving it!!!!

an order arrived from YesStyle this morning - I bulk buy as it comes from Germany (according to the package).

I have received a years supply of Majolica Majorca lash king mascara. Has anyone tried it? Hands down the Best mascara ever but sadly Bioderma micellar water doesn’t touch it so it has to be an oil cleanse.

am also going to try the A’Pieu naked peeling cleansing balm as recommended by Gothamista. Unreasonably excited about that.

does anyone else watch Gothamista?

So far our ❤Stan❤ List is:

Michelle Wang
Katie Jane Hughes
Lisa Eldridge
Gothamista

am I forgetting anyone? What a collection of women 😍

was a time I would miss the on beauty column if it didn’t appear. This morning I forgot it was due! Instead I came here and enjoyed the chat. Am just really happy about that - sorry to go off topic

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'd include Harry Makes It Up.
Gothamista is a really soothing watch! Our playlist is a video sedative :LOL: We need SH to balance this serenity out.

• Haha
  • Heart
Is it ok if we add alternatives to the Wiki or is that not really what it’s for? I was just thinking it would be good to have a list to refer to as it will get buried in the thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.