Sali Hughes #45 Old School Influencer - Shades of slurry and Weetabix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I clicked through and then thought, I truly cannot be arsed with this woman’s word salad today. Her writing is exhausting and pointless.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
For me, ‘cool girl’ has had hugely negative connotations ever since Gone Girl came out in 2012. It’s very rare to hear anyone use it as anything other than a dig these days.

Reactions: 28
“I’m waiting for a restock so I can buy a spare.”
Nice to end the article with a classic Sali-ism.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
And add to my enormous cupboard of other spares.
That mascara has had so many negative reviews (as has all that range of 4 items). Nothing too terrible, just completely meh for the price.
Can't be bothered to look but is it a tubing mascara as that is famously the only sort Sali ever uses?

Reactions: 8
That mascara has had so many negative reviews (as has all that range of 4 items). Nothing too terrible, just completely meh for the price.
Can't be bothered to look but is it a tubing mascara as that is famously the only sort Sali ever uses?
I'm sure she doesn't only use tubing ones but she'll put a coat of a tubing one over another one so she can use more product (presumably)

Reactions: 5
I use L'Oréal followed by Clinique and top it off with Mac. Different wands that give me what I want.

• Wow
Sorry I know people do that and it does make sense it was just an opportunity to mock the over consumption I couldn't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I feel like her writing is strangely outdated. I don’t mean the content, but the style. I used to work in magazines, 15 years ago, and we used to write drivel like this. Just overwritten, slightly arch, pretentious but knowingly so. You don’t see it so much anymore, I suppose because most content is read online and it needs to snappier since attention spans are shorter. It reads like a relic from the 2000s.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I feel like her writing is strangely outdated. I don’t mean the content, but the style. I used to work in magazines, 15 years ago, and we used to write drivel like this. Just overwritten, slightly arch, pretentious but knowingly so. You don’t see it so much anymore, I suppose because most content is read online and it needs to snappier since attention spans are shorter. It reads like a relic from the 2000s.
completely agree with this! I think popular content now is well written, clearly laid out, frank and gives clear explanations. Not this “if you know you know” which reads as kind of snide

• Heart
Reactions: 22
For me, ‘cool girl’ has had hugely negative connotations ever since Gone Girl came out in 2012. It’s very rare to hear anyone use it as anything other than a dig these days.
Once again Sali fails to read the room. How can she be so online without being online at all?

This is exactly it. She has remained loyal to the old outdated ways (ex mags here too 👋)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
completely agree with this! I think popular content now is well written, clearly laid out, frank and gives clear explanations. Not this “if you know you know” which reads as kind of snide
In terms of writing style, I think Sali could take a leaf out of fellow guardian writer Jess Cartner-Morley's book. Jess manages to be light, funny and thoroughly readable. I have little interest in fashion myself, yet I read Jess every week. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 15
Even so, I don't remember her writing always being so a) pompous and b) full of subordinate clauses and parentheses. It feels like it's got worse?

Reactions: 21
Sorry I know people do that and it does make sense it was just an opportunity to mock the over consumption I couldn't resist.
To be fair it feels ridiculous when I travel and have to pack 3 mascaras.

But then again I stick with those 3 and don't buy tons of different ones to try and find the holy grail. It's less wasteful I guess.

In terms of writing style, I think Sali could take a leaf out of fellow guardian writer Jess Cartner-Morley's book. Jess manages to be light, funny and thoroughly readable. I have little interest in fashion myself, yet I read Jess every week. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Somehow they've also managed to keep comments open. She seems to be OK with criticism.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
When I read Sali, I want to scream: 'get to the bloomin' point, Sal, this is toooooo bloody tortuous!'
And more often than not, I usually have to re-read a sentence to make sense of it, because her writing is so convoluted. There's also something really pretentious about her writing style, for sure. She is trying too hard to impress. I suspect it's the chip on her shoulder, perhaps because she's had no formal training...? Just hazarding a guess here...

I was reminded earlier today of the cringe-worthy debate about beauty that she took part in at Oxford university a few years back. 🤭

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.