Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah you say that, but I think you'll find it is quite a complex issue.
{strokes chin thoughtfully}
That's a very intellectual way of looking at the issue @Jelly Bean , do you by any chance have a double first from Cambridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Thanks @NotDumbNotBlonde and @Nonhater - I’ll be there midweek so hoping it won’t be packed. I might even get colour matched by the lady herself if I’m lucky! 😂
I was sad not to see Lisa because I have a bit of a girl crush on her.
@Nonhater I'm intrigued by the sound of shades not yet available online. Can you tell more please? Not that I'm keen to go there again unless they opened specially for meeee alone, plus, i always get lost in Covent Garden 🙄

Reactions: 6
Has anyone tried Dermatica?
Yes. I've tried both Dermatica and Skin+Me. For me, it's just a - not too expensive - way to get a regular supply of Tretinoin. I'm not sure if the two other ingredients they add are doing anything. I didn't have any particular skin issues before starting so wasn't looking for any particular improvement. Just for maintenance I suppose.

Given the proven effects of Tretinoin on skin quality I would recommend it above any OTC product, although I think some of the new retinol formulations (such as by Medik8) might be good too.

Reactions: 4
Yes. I've tried both Dermatica and Skin+Me. For me, it's just a - not too expensive - way to get a regular supply of Tretinoin. I'm not sure if the two other ingredients they add are doing anything. I didn't have any particular skin issues before starting so wasn't looking for any particular improvement. Just for maintenance I suppose.

Given the proven effects of Tretinoin on skin quality I would recommend it above any OTC product, although I think some of the new retinol formulations (such as by Medik8) might be good too.
Did you have any preference between the two?

Reactions: 3
Did you have any preference between the two?
I started with Dermatica and then moved to Skin+Me. The formulation I get is the same. With both of them I said that I wanted 0.1% Tretinoin (because I'd been using it for years and so accustomed to it) and then I think they both automatically added Azalaeic Acid and Niacinamide.

I slightly prefer Skin+Me only because I prefer the dispenser which clicks out the right amount. I think it's also a tiny bit cheaper.

I did find the initial Skin+Me questionnaire really annoying though. You're given a multi-choice questionnaire about what you want to achieve and rather than being able to select a straightforward statement like 'I want to keep my skin plump and even toned', the statement they offer is 'I want to age on my own terms'. It pained me to have to choose that.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I absolutely hated prescription tret. I use one of the Ordinary granactive retinoid in squalane and that works for me

Reactions: 4
I was sad not to see Lisa because I have a bit of a girl crush on her.
@Nonhater I'm intrigued by the sound of shades not yet available online. Can you tell more please? Not that I'm keen to go there again unless they opened specially for meeee alone, plus, i always get lost in Covent Garden 🙄
I was so overwhelmed by the crowds that it probably took me half an hour to find the pop-up. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you more about the unreleased shades. I was mostly occupied looking at the vintage makeup and trying to get a sample of Cinnabar because I had already bought quite a lot online. Lisa mentioned this in her stories afterwards. It did look like there were more lipstick shades though.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was so overwhelmed by the crowds that it probably took me half an hour to find the pop-up. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you more about the unreleased shades. I was mostly occupied looking at the vintage makeup and trying to get a sample of Cinnabar because I had already bought quite a lot online. Lisa mentioned this in her stories afterwards. It did look like there were more lipstick shades though.
It was the foundation and Cinnabar which propelled me there! I didn't buy Cinnabar online as I thought it would be too dark and brown. By the time I saw people's photos of it and decided I "needed" it after all, it was sold out. It's actually great for me, it's what I'd hoped Dragon would be. I bought the Cinnabar pencil too to try and tone down the Dragon I bought a while back, which is disastrously too bright and orangey for me (and v unflattering to the natural tone of my teeth 😬)

Poor Sally, even her thread (cf My Charity) gets hijacked by Lisa chat!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
It is so good - I think I was influenced by her (sorry Sali). I wear contacts and so many wettish mascaras stick to them which drives me crazy. The Essence Princess waterproof still looks glossy and wet but stays in place. And £3.50!
(@Mselvista, I also remembered the Collection one is good, as recommended by @TheSilverFox).
I think I tried the Princess one after it was all over the media - I wasn't sure I liked it, but I can't remember - might have to try it again :) My specific requirement for a mascara is that it doesn't make lashes stick together because although mine are long and quite dark, I don't have that many of them so they need to be separated. My favourite ever one was discontinued - Rimmel Magnifeyes (I think) - best sub I found so far is Max Factor Masterpiece.

It was the foundation and Cinnabar which propelled me there! I didn't buy Cinnabar online as I thought it would be too dark and brown. By the time I saw people's photos of it and decided I "needed" it after all, it was sold out. It's actually great for me, it's what I'd hoped Dragon would be. I bought the Cinnabar pencil too to try and tone down the Dragon I bought a while back, which is disastrously too bright and orangey for me (and v unflattering to the natural tone of my teeth 😬)

Poor Sally, even her thread (cf My Charity) gets hijacked by Lisa chat!
😄 Didn’t SH recently go on a Covent Garden shopping spree with her friend? She mentioned the Lisa Eldridge lipstick once in her “The best luxury lipsticks” article, so I thought maybe, just MAYBE she would go to the shop.

I had to try on Cinnabar first because I thought the same. I find it really hard to judge a colour online - even if it is shown on models/people. Their skin tone might be slightly different or the light.

😄 Didn’t SH recently go on a Covent Garden shopping spree with her friend? She mentioned the Lisa Eldridge lipstick once in her “The best luxury lipsticks” article, so I thought maybe, just MAYBE she would go to the shop.

I had to try on Cinnabar first because I thought the same. I find it really hard to judge a colour online - even if it is shown on models/people. Their skin tone might be slightly different or the light.
I bought the hype and set my timer to put LE Velvet Cinnabar in my shopping cart first thing before moving down the rest of my wish list (I also set a timer to access the site as soon as it opened and nearly had a panic attack when it was down for about 10 minutes, maybe this pandemic needs to end solely so I can regain a sense of perspective about makeup?).

Alas Cinnabar is not a great look on me. It shows up as rust which is…OK, but it looks blah with my #22 foundation face (I didn’t buy it! I just made a lucky guess with the samples). I much prefer Velvet Jazz, which is a gorgeous brick color that has enough red to contrast with my skin. I recommend it highly.

If Dragon looks orange, then I imagine Morning is even worse?

Reactions: 1
Well, Sali's right about one thing: engagement plummets when she posts about Beauty Banks. Eleven comments on that latest post and six of those are either Sali, Jo Jones, or the Beauty Banks account itself. A further two are Marcia Kilgore. Which leaves only TWO comments from beef faces.

Hurry, Sali, post a selfie or, better yet, Sylvie

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Where do you beef faced trolls buy your tretinoin from? I tried pharmacygeoff but they wanted payment by bank transfer. I dislike Dermatica - I just want 0.1% Tret without the other stuff

Where do you beef faced trolls buy your tretinoin from? I tried pharmacygeoff but they wanted payment by bank transfer. I dislike Dermatica - I just want 0.1% Tret without the other stuff
I have bought it online from United Pharmacies. The first time I bought from them I had to pay by bank transfer but it worked OK. After that I've been able to pay by debit card. Product cheap but shipping quite expensive, so I tend to order a couple at a time.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.