Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

melfish

VIP Member
“*sigh* ...If I’ve told you once I’ve told a thousand times, it’s CHANEL! 3392! C714! DARK! TORTOISE! PANTOS! WOMENS! FRAMES!“

The eyebrows 🤣 👏⚰

@Sideboard Bob you're right though. She must have many such moments. How did this happen - from the age of four I only ever wanted to be a journalist and here I am tapping my nails on a pot of facecream, giving it my best smile and saying how pleased I am to have been asked to talk about it?
The nail-tapping gives me a "nervo"

A selection of comments under the Guardian's tweet of today's column:
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 5.20.15 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

melfish

VIP Member
I adore makeup and am really influenced by new launches. This Jones Road brand looks so dull. I like Bobbi Brown, Milk and Glossier so I would have thought I would have been the ideal customer. Nothing appeals though.
Jones Road. An inspiring portmanteau of "keeping up with the Joneses" and "middle of the road"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
It’s all just so bloody hypocritical. I didn’t know who Em Sheldon was, but one glance at her Twitter feed has her tweeting about Love Island every night, and it’s clear she doesn’t like one particular contestant (I don’t watch so can’t comment further).

I am sick of influencers getting on their soapboxes and conflating the likes of us with the truly abusive people who send them nasty messages.

If one more person makes the false comparison between the England player’s direct racist abuse and women on Tattle & M**snet discussing the unflattering hair colour someone chose, I will truly lose my shit.
Em Sheldon on Woman's Hour was saying people even 'report influencers to the ASA'. As is their perfect right - does she not understand this? Does she think there should be absolutely no criticism or regulation of their practices? The absolute arrogance.
I too cannot understand why no interviewer ever points out discussion elsewhere is not trolling or bullying. It is speculation and gossip - 99.9% of the time on material the person has put in the public domain.
Yes it might be annoying and even hurtful but it it is not trolling.
And totally agree that comparing laughing at someone's hair to the actual death threats and racist abuse that the England footballers receive directly in disingenuous at best.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Sali always calls Tattle a cesspit blah blah and how we are all mentally ill for being here etc but she is happily on twitter - which seems to facilitate the worst eg the treatment of young black footballers playing for England.
How is twitter acceptable but here so appalling?
Maybe she should ask Radio 4 to make a documentary about twitter where racist, sexist abuse largely goes unchecked. Unlike here 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Still thinking about how IK said old twitter was like a cocktail party. She is such an elitist wanker

The concept of sustainability is in direct conflict with being an influencer. The most sustainable thing you can do, of course, is to buy less stuff. But they are all about making people covet. "If only I wore that/ate that/went there, my life would be better." It's such an insidious capitalist message. And that's what they embody. The rest is just pretense

I mean, Sali said it herself: "Product is my passion." Ugh, how depressing
Well that is it. You simply do not need 10 different moisturisers or toners or serums. It is obviously nice but not necessary. Influencers want to make you think a whole suite of products are normal and desirable. Sali goes on about the various products she uses in rotation, and the multiples she buys of everything. This is not normal.
Every week there is a new video of the marvellous new products she has been wearing 'on my face for ages' forgetting last week's marvellous products. She explains it away by saying she is geeky and passionate about 'product' and then slips in a sustainability video to justify it all. She would say it is part of her job, but she seriously cannot pretend her job is anything other than ludicrously wasteful. Recycling is not the answer. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle is in that order for a reason.

• Heart

Colin

This thread has definitely made me more conscious of a process I've been engaged with anyway. I stopped really doing anything to my skin about a year and a half ago (I was always fairly low maintenance as my skin is prone to irritation so can't take lots of "product") now I'm pretty much: sunscreen when it's sunny or I'm outside a lot, wash with soap and a dab of moisturizer or lip balm if I'm feeling dry skinned. Funnily enough now my skin isn't irritable anymore and I don't think I've aged anymore than I would expect. I did go for a consult for Botox but the doctor said I might be disappointed in the results as I don't really have lines it can treat. He recommended a bit of filler but I've passed for now.

I still wear make up every now and then because I feel like it but certainly don't feel the need to wear it to leave the house.

And I've stopped buying stuff which is so freeing. I have enough make to last me a lifetime! I'm not saying I'll never buy more but that they will be very concious and considered purchases.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
“They don’t like that people are making money”

..by exploiting people's vulnerabilities, being dishonest, not declaring business relationships while slyly masquerading a friend giving unbiased opinions.

I'm sure someone else could complete that sentence far better than I can to actually say why people don't like influencers 😆

The whole influencer thing just doesn't really make sense. They all say they only post about brands they love and constantly say no to things🙄. But in reality that doesn't happen. It's a job and money corrupts so they accept nearly everything they're offered regardless of if they like it or if it even works for them. They're literally paid to say how amazing something is; it's not difficult to see why the whole thing is shady, dishonest and one big conflict of interest.

"Hey you! Buy this thing that I'm being paid to say how amazing it is!"

• Heart

Stillwater

VIP Member
My God me too. I am edging toward very blonde to try and work with my grey roots. Looks cherubic when “done” but first thing in the morning I look like Eileen Wuornos (no disrespect to EW but she had other priorities).

• Haha
Reactions: 28

melfish

VIP Member
We're at new thread title time. I fully endorse the suggestion upthread for the name of those Chanel sunnies in all caps

She’s had it for a while. Tacky, isn’t it? (Missoma?)
I noticed it in the gratuitous bath-feet story. Feels cheugy

• Haha
Reactions: 27

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I'm sorry but I call BS on this pedicure ever happening. If the pedicure was painful and severe enough to draw blood how could that not be noticed? I doubt all the 'British restraint' could stop anyone from actually showing and expressing pain if things were that bad.

Personally I think it's her way of trying to say "See? I don't always give great reviews!"

Also, PMSL that she replied to the foot fetishist with 4 followers. It's hilarious how she was so polite to him but if there is the slightest hint of anyone being from Tattle they get blocked or subjected to a rant like that one a few weeks ago ("can I put this into perspective for you")

Reactions: 27

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Sali's protestations about here in light of her own behaviour were slippery to say the least.
'I would never ever talk about people like that' (she did)
'if I found out someone was hurting I would stop' (she didn't)
'Yes I was a bit mean but it wasn't my fault' ( 🥴. This came after her assertions it was ages ago and completely different anyway).

'I had hardly any followers' (I bet more people saw those tweets than read her threads here before freaky Friday).
'I apologised to Dawn and Esther and they both apologised to me' (for what? Being bullied?)

Inventive to say the least.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

under the ivy

VIP Member
Why would you want someone to take YOUR photo of YOU crying at someone’s wedding?! The narcissism in this one.

• Sick
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Has there been ANY evidence that SH and DOP are indeed ‘friends’? Genuine question.
No none. Sali tried @ her on twitter a couple of times a while ago (I think when Dawn's good friend Caroline Flack died). No response.
Plus when someone on twitter called Sali 'nice' Chris O Dowd responded with something like '' nice' is not the word I would use to describe that woman'.

• Haha
  • Heart