Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly - this is so boring, I can't believe I'm reading/thinking/investing my time in someone else's hairdo.

BUT

it's not really about the hairdo is it? It's about double standards.

It's the mumsnet crew and her own FB group who said 'blonde', not us. There are three pages on the hairdo on Mumsnet - is that a pit of pure evil/vipers/bin folk? Just want to know. Some of us (me included) said we liked it. The amount of pure white-hot RAAAAGE coming from her on that screenshotted post is really disconcerting.

Is she sure she isn't there yet? I went a bit like that when I had my menopause.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Years ago I dyed my hair supposedly a dark brown and it picked up red tones. My boyfriend at the time mentioned that it looked red. Is that really any different to saying a colour looks brassy? To be factual about it brassy is a colour or tone in relation to hair.

Reactions: 5
I also don’t get why Sali being so brittle and snippy to the autistic woman, showing zero understanding (appreciate that) is considered acceptable.

• Angry
Reactions: 12
I think it's quite brave of her to do it, I'm battling the greys as much as I possibly can and kudos to anyone who can handle the ageing process better than me!
Not sure why we need to know about it in so much detail though...

Reactions: 1
I don't find it brave at all. It's been bleached etc to show that she's not old as she has to fake being grey.

Reactions: 7
It's no more brave than any other hair dye/ bleach. And it's actually misleading for the article to state she's 'going grey'

Reactions: 9
I've not looked at Mumsnet for years but couldn't resisit a quick peep, one poster said:

I love her hair. I think the process was explained beautifully and the upkeep issues were acknowledged. And, as someone with the same allergy issue, I was really intrigued to read and watch this. Also, she is not an influencer, she is a journalist with a portfolio going back decades.

🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
I checked out the Mumsnark thread and really we are saying nothing worse!

Interestingly when I Googled a thread came up from there from years ago "Crap that Sali Hughes recommended in the Guardian " plus ça change!
I feel really angry that Sali bullied an autistic woman into apologising for being autistic on the GTL thread.

saying someone’s hair looks brassy blonde on a thread about GREY hair, isn’t super rude. It’s an observation.

Sali has made far, far ruder comments!

the world is hard enough to navigate if you are autistic without being hounded for not realising it was an ego stroking thread.
I saw that and as a fellow autistic woman I felt for her.

Computer and phone screen colour renditions vary so much, why did Hughes get so butthurt about it all? Hughes is a f-ing thinskinned witch - she can dish it out but she can't take it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I've not looked at Mumsnet for years but couldn't resisit a quick peep, one poster said:

I love her hair. I think the process was explained beautifully and the upkeep issues were acknowledged. And, as someone with the same allergy issue, I was really intrigued to read and watch this. Also, she is not an influencer, she is a journalist with a portfolio going back decades.

🤣
Hi Sali!

• Haha
Reactions: 14

🤣
that would have been Lauren

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Also I thought Sali always asked herself: what would Madonna do? (Or was it Liz Taylor?) Could you imagine either of those asking a friend to sign up to a niche gossip site to set the record straight on how posh they were or weren't growing up 😅
This reminds me of a story Joan Rivers used to tell. Rivers was well known for her jokes about Elizabeth Taylor being fat, but she became concerned that it could upset Taylor so she asked mutual friend Roddy McDowall to intervene and ask Taylor if she wanted Rivers to stop. Taylor told her to carry on with the fat jokes as she really didn't give a duck what anyone said about her.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
But I thought Sali was all about the leopard print so in that case Bet Lynch should be her style icon

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think it's quite brave of her to do it, I'm battling the greys as much as I possibly can and kudos to anyone who can handle the ageing process better than me!
Not sure why we need to know about it in so much detail though...
Like other posters, I don't think it's brave either, but different strokes. Welcome to Tattle.

Reactions: 4
She’s dyed her hair a colour that ‘young’ people also choose. For my money it’s the opposite of embracing the ageing process - which is fine! I’m blonde to hide the (many more) greys as well, but I don’t go around saying how defiant it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
But I thought Sali was all about the leopard print so in that case Bet Lynch should be her style icon
She only wants to cosplay working class. Not actually be it. And here she isn't in control of the narrative. If she were smart about it she'd own it and start her own brassy trend.

Reactions: 11
She irks the absolute holy hell out of me. The opening para of that Vogue article. What’s wrong with “sleeping with young men” REGARDLESS of your age if both you and said “young men” are consenting adults and how does one dress as a “college student”, you know, that totally homogenous bunch that they are. Its yet again her same schtick of snottily judging other women in contrast to her “I’m so edgy and interesting, me” ‘she here’ self.
Eleven plus years of this tired old ‘other women are shite, I’m so cool’. Also, going back to Vogue first para, how the hell does the face full of ‘weak dilute’ that has changed its shape and sent her eyebrows in desperate search of her hairline square with her ACCELERATING the aging process? Grrrr

Phew glad I’ve got that off my chest. Sorry :mad:As you were!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.