Sali Hughes #28 See thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who could forget this pleasant exchange, in which the other person reacts to her rudeness first by apologising and then by flattering her 🤦‍♀️
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 6.41.34 PM.png
🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
She’s definitely being rude there, but I *sort* of understand a little of her reaction because I’m also heartily sick of random men wandering into conversations to monologue in the style of an approved expert.

Still, she could have ignored it. Also, does that mean she’s no longer claiming to be a vegetarian?

Reactions: 9
Today’s MBE push in the Guardian starts off “My charity, Beauty Banks, has spent much of this past year redistributing skincare to frontline NHS workers” 🤪🔫.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
Today's article is quite useful but why is it appearing a year into the pandemic? And it is cringy mentioning 'her' charity so early on.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I don’t know where to start with today’s crock o’ shite... From actual pressure sores to a “mid-shift spritz”” that “lacks sex appeal” in one column. How is this tripe possibly useful to anyone actually struggling with the effects of PPE? It isn’t. It’s just a way of promoting her personal charity.

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Plus the timing shows it has got nothing to do with actual nurses and porters struggling with PPE skin issues - as you said Trivia, a full year in - but everything to do with the launch of her charity’s pouches.

As if anyone needs telling not to use flannels or retinol on broken skin. The patronising, disingenuous arse.

She is now actually using the horrendous experiences that NHS staff have gone through to promote her own personal ‘brand’. I don’t think she can sink any lower.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
She’s spent a whole year quacking on (Sali-ism) about Zoom calls, free time & the death of lipstick & only now writes a column about PPE & skincare. Great.

• Angry
Reactions: 24
She’s a self serving , snippy, brittle woman.

Today’s column is all about what a good charitable woman Sali is and she’s throwing a bit of Superdrug in for good measure.

She’s also an appalling journalist and writer.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
Re the curry discussion above, I get the whole mansplaining thing, but I would have broken myself laughing if, instead of responding’you have good taste’ he’d replied ‘STFU whitey’ 😂

Off to read today’s epic, thanks (?) for the reminder!

Interesting she recommends Niacinamide + Zinc for compromised skin.

Without knowing exact formulations of the repective formulations, I know the Ordinary version of this is associated with causing dryness, so it’s marketed for acne rather than skin repair.

Hmm.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I BET she's paid to promote Superdrug at the moment, too. Directly or indirectly.
Almost certainly is. I saw few other skincare Instagrammers promoting Superdrug this week too. Specifically around "maskne" and the Niacinamide + Zinc product too.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Oh I have ....in the form of Pakistani or Bangladeshi people owning "Indians" haha.

I totally believe white people can cook curry and have every right to cook in whatever style they like. But to open a restaurant is really a different thing. It's the same as yoga teachers who go on a three week retreat as part of their gap yeah and suddenly think they're gurus.

I'm in Thailand and therefore meet quite a lot of those people!
Exactly - it’s cultural appropriation.

We cook all kinds of things at home, but no way do I possess the kind of hubris that it would take to open up an ethnic restaurant! That’s probably why their second restaurant (and very nearly their first restaurant) went under. The people of Guildford are clearly more discerning than the Lipstick Liberals and Tory Loaves of Brighton.

As for Pakistani and Bangladeshi people owning Indian restaurants - I have a good British Bangladeshi friend at work who rails against this notion constantly. “It’s the same bleeping food. The Indians didn’t invent it - we were all one country at one point. AAAAARGH!” (He says this all the time! 🤣) He has a very good point!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I also can't think of any Indian restaurant I like that isn't run by Indian people. Same with Italian and no doubt many others

It's funny how Sali told people to seek out an Indian brow threader but counts the Chili pickle that's run by gap year tourists as her favourite Indian restaurant

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I looked at the Chilli Pickle website. One of them seems to have worked 'in hotels in Dubai' which apparently have very strong Indian influences :censored:

I don't know what to make of the Beauty Banks/Superdrug pushing in her column. Something about it does seem off. I know it is not for her personal gain but still. She could've easily written about care for front line NHS staff without mentioning BB at all. A bit self congratulatory? And the 'my charity' 😮 - not 'the charity I co-founded'.

Reactions: 17
She is such a ME.

I thought it could have been “the charity <<whoever it is>> and I co-founded“ yes, @Jelly Bean

Reactions: 8
Today’s MBE push in the Guardian starts off “My charity, Beauty Banks, has spent much of this past year redistributing skincare to frontline NHS workers” 🤪🔫.
When i saw that this morning I had to restrain myself from throwing it across the room in a fit of disgust. Because "it" was on my phone and not a paper copy of the Graun.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.