Sali Hughes #28 See thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They’re creatives they can’t be expected to know about governance.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I will not support Sali’s charity either. I can’t get past how the charity, which is meant to be all about hygiene poverty, gave it’s brand donations to NHS workers. Whilst I completely agree that key workers are deserving of support and praise, they are by no means in hygiene poverty. For me this calls into question the charity’s governance, when on the personal whim of it’s founders / executives, the main objective can be overridden.

No thanks.
I mean, did she even read the mission statement when she copy pasted it off the website she plagiarised?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I’ve never heard of the fourth person at all, but his design was by far the best and he’d made an effort. The rest looked like they’d spent an afternoon with the crayon box and thought ‘that’ll do’.

I will not support Sali’s charity either. I can’t get past how the charity, which is meant to be all about hygiene poverty, gave it’s brand donations to NHS workers. Whilst I completely agree that key workers are deserving of support and praise, they are by no means in hygiene poverty. For me this calls into question the charity’s governance, when on the personal whim of it’s founders / executives, the main objective can be overridden.

No thanks.
I fully agree. A charity should have clear aims and objectives and not just attach itself to a cause du jour. I'm not saying that NHS workers didn't and don't work their asses off, but those who experienced hygiene poverty will still be experiencing it and often worse so than before the pandemic.

Also: side note and I don't want to offend anyone here but I kind of feel that other essential workers like supermarket workers have been ignored. NHS workers do amazing work and in tough conditions but many others also work in tough conditions but were mostly ignored

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I fully agree. A charity should have clear aims and objectives and not just attach itself to a cause du jour. I'm not saying that NHS workers didn't and don't work their asses off, but those who experienced hygiene poverty will still be experiencing it and often worse so than before the pandemic.

Also: side note and I don't want to offend anyone here but I kind of feel that other essential workers like supermarket workers have been ignored. NHS workers do amazing work and in tough conditions but many others also work in tough conditions but were mostly ignored
I agree wholeheartedly. Postal staff, delivery workers and supermarket staff have all kept this country going and fed. Where’s their recognition?

For someone who purports to be working class, she’s sure as tit forgotten her roots quickly!

——————

On a different note entirely, how is everyone doing. I’m working from home and am so bored that I am YouTubing recipes for Nasi Goreng. 🍛🥡

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Sali would say her charity has been “agile” in responding to an unprecedented global event. 🙄 #bandwagon

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I agree wholeheartedly. Postal staff, delivery workers and supermarket staff have all kept this country going and fed. Where’s their recognition?

For someone who purports to be working class, she’s sure as tit forgotten her roots quickly!

——————

On a different note entirely, how is everyone doing. I’m working from home and am so bored that I am YouTubing recipes for Nasi Goreng. 🍛🥡
I’m not WFH so have a routine of up and out every morning to the office but it’s harder to get motivated every day when there is nothing to look forward to....

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I love WFH and would be happy to stay this way. Maybe go in twice a fortnight would see me right.

Reactions: 5
I love WFH and would be happy to stay this way. Maybe go in twice a fortnight would see me right.
I need to have people around some of the time, too, so for me, I’d love to be at home Monday/Thursday/Friday and in the office Tuesday/Wed. That would be a lovely balance.

Working from home all the time with a (wonderful) wife and three delightful but demanding infants as well as a dog and two cats... no. It’s too much. The first lockdown was a novelty. Now it is just beyond a joke.

Reactions: 8

No thanks.
I could never get my head round that (and felt mean criticising it) but it made me uncomfortable seeing all the 'pamper packages' with stuff like Charlotte Tilbury, Clarins for NHS staff, while refuges etc got LIDL and Dove.
In the bag reveal when describing the charity aims Sali did not mention the NHS. It was only for people in hygiene poverty.
Would they say that all the money raised goes to hygiene poverty, while prestige donations go where they see fit? I presume Beauty Banks didn't pay for the 'pamper parcels'?
I've worked for a few charities (no doubt in those files - 'charity workers amongst them') and they are all so clear in their aims and objectives, no matter how tempting to change horses mid stream to follow 'fashionable' causes. Plus somewhere it really should have been explained their reasoning for this.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I could never get my head round that (and felt mean criticising it) but it made me uncomfortable seeing all the 'pamper packages' with stuff like Charlotte Tilbury, Clarins for NHS staff, while refuges etc got LIDL and Dove.
In the bag reveal when describing the charity aims Sali did not mention the NHS. It was only for people in hygiene poverty.
Would they say that all the money raised goes to hygiene poverty, while prestige donations go where they see fit? I presume Beauty Banks didn't pay for the 'pamper parcels'?
I've worked for a few charities (no doubt in those files - 'charity workers amongst them') and they are all so clear in their aims and objectives, no matter how tempting to change horses mid stream to follow 'fashionable' causes. Plus somewhere it really should have been explained their reasoning for this.
Exactly. When you’ve taken money and donations from the public and organisations for a specific, documented cause, and then give said donations away to a different cause, to me this is problematic.

I would imagine that the governance surrounding charities is particularly strict with respect to this, for good reason. Granted, in this instance the cause may have still been viewed by many as a good one and not a million miles away from the charity’s original stated objective, but it’s the thin end of the wedge. I’m not comfortable with individuals being able to play fast and loose with charity donations as they see fit, whatever the cause. Call me up tight, or a stickler, perhaps it’s my background in finance, but it’s not right.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I don't really think it could be argued that donating luxury products to NHS workers is comparable to helping out those in hygiene poverty. Again, the NHS do trojan work and there's no question about that but they're gainfully employed.

I honestly feel it was Sali just attaching herself to the cause du jour. And as I said earlier, other essential workers have been ignored (not just by Sali, but in general). Where was the clap for supermarket workers and so on? Not that a clap solves anything but you know what I mean. They didn't get the recognition

• Heart
Reactions: 23

No thanks.
Exactly. When you’ve taken money and donations from the public and organisations for a specific, documented cause, and then give said donations away to a different cause, to me this is problematic.
I completely agree with this (especially BIB), and what most other posters have said. And just to add from a communications standpoint, it really dilutes the charity's brand, as it's not clear to someone with a casual interest what the charity's actual purpose is. Their comms are rubbish anyway, I would expect so much better from a co-founder with a PR background.

I would donate to a hygiene poverty charity with a much clearer, defined purpose (that's actually being adhered to) any day over one that's going so far as to advertise the fact that it's not fulfilling its mission. Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone on this thread who was previously a fan/follower of Sali and would have considered buying a crappy makeup bag, instead donated a fiver to a an amazing small charity like Every Month, Bloody Good Period (both brilliant & don't get anywhere near as much press) or their local food bank, shelter or refuge? Some links below for anyone that wants to do that.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I completely agree with this (especially BIB), and what most other posters have said. And just to add from a communications standpoint, it really dilutes the charity's brand, as it's not clear to someone with a casual interest what the charity's actual purpose is. Their comms are rubbish anyway, I would expect so much better from a co-founder with a PR background.

I would donate to a hygiene poverty charity with a much clearer, defined purpose (that's actually being adhered to) any day over one that's going so far as to advertise the fact that it's not fulfilling its mission. Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone on this thread who was previously a fan/follower of Sali and would have considered buying a crappy makeup bag, instead donated a fiver to a an amazing small charity like Every Month, Bloody Good Period (both brilliant & don't get anywhere near as much press) or their local food bank, shelter or refuge? Some links below for anyone that wants to do that.

What a lovely idea.

On another note, red is a state of mind. Dafuq does that mean?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
red is a state of mind. Dafuq does that mean?
I'd hope it's a call for international communism (🤭), but knowing her it's probably a red lip thing. And the empowerment, liberation etc. it instantly gives to all who wear it.

I love her new IG ad!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
I'd hope it's a call for international communism (🤭), but knowing her it's probably a red lip thing. And the empowerment, liberation etc. it instantly gives to all who wear it.

I love her new IG ad!
DID YOU KNOW THAT WHEN THEY LIBERATED THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS...

Hope that makes it into the new book anyway!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

Also medical professionals are trained for this, hospitals are sterile environments. The staff has top of the line protective gear. Supermarket employees, meanwhile, have cloth masks and - at least here - often have to deal with hostile mask-deniers

Sali would say her charity has been “agile” in responding to an unprecedented global event. 🙄 #bandwagon
But doctors are so sexy, amirate?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Spot on, @melfish

The general Joe Public has zero respect for supermarket workers at the best of times and I've seen some horrifying footage of supermarket workers calmly asking customers to put on a mask and the customer screeching "what about my rights"

• Sad
Spot on, @melfish

The general Joe Public has zero respect for supermarket workers at the best of times and I've seen some horrifying footage of supermarket workers calmly asking customers to put on a mask and the customer screeching "what about my rights"
One of my children works at a supermarket and has done since before the pandemic , he’s changed his shifts and works overnight now . He says it’s preferable to having to deal with obnoxious , vile customers. He says the worst offenders are the elderly for rudeness.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.