Sali Hughes #22 pretty narcissistic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Damn this has been an entertaining catch-up!
I’ve been lurking here for a while, I’m another one who was lead to Tattle by Freaky Friday.
There‘s nothing new I can add, apart from one thing. Has anyone else noticed she seems really irritated that the doc was “only“ 37 minutes long?? I’ve seen her mention it (unprompted) on at least three separate occasions. Sure, I can understand her frustration that she felt there was a lot more to cover, but it seems a tiny bit ungracious towards the BBC.
Well, yes. Could they not have made it into a, two parter if they really had to cut out all this "mind-blowing" stuff?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The one thing that REALLY confused me is the guest on sali's doc who said that trolling ruined her pregnancy. I did feel for her as she was clearly very distressed and that is never nice to hear, but I don't understand the bit where she did an ad for a non alcoholic drink. apparently her critics said they reporting her to social services for dinking whilst pregnant, and she got in such a state she genuinely thought she was going to get her new baby taken away from her. For drinking a non alcoholic drink? Wouldn't you just shrug it off and be like 'good luck with that trolls, it's non alcoholic'... etc etc and laugh at them?
Off topic but Just FYI about this.. she was doing an ad for non alcoholic prosecco and in the video said she’d drunk whilst pregnant and then couldn’t stop thinking “is the baby drinking this” - there are videos on her thread - so started on the non alcoholic stuff instead, but said she didn’t judge people who did drink whilst pregnant.

I’m sure there are people out there who take things too far and do stuff outside tattle like reporting people which of course is out of order - but Kate isn’t innocent in this either.

It’s just more evidence that Sali hasn’t really done her research on who to involve in the radio show!

Reactions: 5
It may take a while because I'm really busy at the moment, but I do intend to try to fact check the whole of the Radio 5 interview (and obviously report here my findings). I'm focusing on the R5 rather than R4 programme because it was more directly about here rather than, as others have said, the R4 programme which conflated so many things to give the impression that the discussion here was similar to the awful online trolling to which some women in public life have been subjected.

My first fact-check post was post number 557 in this thread. The part of the programme I tried to check there was this statement SH made in the R5 programme: 'So every time my friend’s parent googles their dead daughter a thread comes up of absolute lies about their daughter's funeral and her relationship with me.' I looked into that one first because it's one of the most emotionally charged parts of her narrative: if true, how could any reasonable person not be appalled?

I wasn't looking into whether what was said here was or wasn't 'absolute lies' but simply whether reference to Tattle discussion came up when the person's name was googled.

As I note in post 557, when I googled the name nothing came up linking to Tattle or to anything said here about the person's funeral and/or relationship with SH. I looked through seven pages of Google results before they started fizzling out.

I also checked through the SH threads on Tattle in case anyone would suggest that the reason Tattle wasn't showing up in the Google results was because references to that person had been deleted. I also suggested that Google results could be skewed on a particular computer if the memory of a previous, more directed, search (i.e. not just the name) hadn't been cleared from that computer's browser.

Do let me know if you think my approach there - or to any fact checking - is flawed or if I've there's something I should have taken into account but haven't. I do want the fact checking to stand up to scrutiny.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Lindy West was the first example I saw of this, published 5 years ago in The Guardian:

We don't often talk about real trolling here, but from reading the precis of the article here, and from memory - I think I must've read it at the time - Lindy faced (probably still faces) what is so clearly categorisable as trolling.

I want to express that I have profound empathy for her and anyone - and it is normally women - that has to go through that kind of experience. Being told on a daily basis, straight to your twitter, that - for example - you're too fat to deserve to be alive, too fat to rape, too ugly to ever find a partner or deserve love, you should be slaughtered like a pig, is so so awful and can only be soul destroying.

I also remember reading about the feminist Caroline Criado Perez and the rape and death threats that she received for having the temerity to speak up and campaign for things that challenged the status quo. Female politicians have also been subject to a similar level of vitriol. Basically, any woman who raises their head above the parapet with an opinion that might offend middle England is at risk of 'being taken down a peg or two'.

These women are told by trolls that they are worthless, do not deserve to live, let alone have an opinion, let alone share this with others. It is an attempt by (from my understanding) predominantly male commenters to shut down a woman and her opinions by using unbridled hate, fear and intimidation.

I would hope that all of us here would agree without reservation that this behaviour is absolutely indefensible and condemn it in absolute terms.

I'm sure I don't need to detail the difference between this kind of violent hate and our experience on this forum.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Is the Hemmo who people mention on this thread the same person who has written a new book about her husband of 5 years transitioning to female? Alexandra Heminsley? Esther Coren is recommending her book on Instagram, it sounds very interesting.

Okay, hijack over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Is the Hemmo who people mention on this thread the same person who has written a new book about her husband of 5 years transitioning to female? Alexandra Hemingsley? Esther Coren is recommending her book on Instagram, it sounds very interesting.

Okay, hijack over.
Yes, that’s the one! Book does sound v interesting.

Reactions: 2
I've never read any of her books but they all sound very appealing. Adding her to the never ending books to read list.
Her books are great, really inspiring. Definitely stick them on your list! She seems like a lovely person too. Can’t wait for the new one to come out in January

Reactions: 3
I've never read any of her books but they all sound very appealing. Adding her to the never ending books to read list.
Her first (I think?) book Running Like A Girl is great. This new one sounds like something else entirely but I'm really looking forward to it - off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who has tackled this subject, in contrast to SH's bottomless pit of recycled ideas (meeting her troll, the queen's wardrobe, Beauty Banks...)

Reactions: 2
The one thing that REALLY confused me is the guest on sali's doc who said that trolling ruined her pregnancy. I did feel for her as she was clearly very distressed
Already said, but worth repeating. Katie Hayes is another one lying. She get's such good engagement from "troll" posts and gains so many followers so she's ever lying and getting more extreme. She slipped up and said she drank during the early stages of her pregnancy, then backtracked and throughout her pregnancy she was breaking lockdown restrictions when the advice was to shield.

This post covers lots of it if anyone wants to know the truth rather than the lies the BBC let them run with - https://tattle.life/posts/1865748/

Wtf was that book about the Queen :ROFLMAO:
Some of the 5 star reviews are odd, this was an adults book?

I especially enjoyed the section on her purple outfits, it’s my favorite color.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The Guardian included a review (?) of the "documentary". Icy in her rage is a half decent thread title :LOL: . Although we'll be weeks before that's needed. Note the: There is a lot of “women, know your place” in internet trolley" :rolleyes:

Journalist Sali Hughes, who mostly writes about beauty and style, made last week’s File on Four about this contemporary version of ye olde worlde bullying. Hughes is on social media a lot for her work and about two years ago, she was made aware that people on a gossip website were slagging her off. Ah, internet trolls. Part of every semi-public woman’s life these days. Perhaps Hughes shouldn’t have been bothered (don’t feed the trolls!), but the gossip merchants had started to affect her work: if you Googled her name, their accusations came up quite high. She did some investigation and became very upset. Because it was more than what she’d thought: the trolls were diving deep into her life, with her children, partner and dead mother all becoming part of their mad lies.

What are you meant to do in such a situation? Move away from your laptop? Shrug and move on? Block and delete? Sit down and shut up? Hughes didn’t like those solutions, so, in September 2019, she made an Instagram video about what was being written and defended herself. And she made this programme.

Hughes has a precise, almost clipped, presentational voice and for some of her links, you could feel the anger in her tone: she became even more clipped, icy in her rage. She was warmer, obviously, when speaking to other people who have been affected. One Instagrammer, a makeup artist and blogger, had her pregnancy ruined when trolls accused her of drinking during her pregnancy (she’d promoted a non-alcoholic wine brand). Motherhood is often used as a way of attacking women; according to her detractors, Hughes supposedly married her husband in order to get free childcare. There is a lot of “women, know your place” in internet trollery.

In the most surprising part of the programme, Hughes met one of her online abusers. The woman’s voice was spoken by an actor. “I’m a normal person,” she said. “I’m a nice mum, I’m a good friend… how did somebody normal end up getting involved in something that was so hurtful?” No one wants to think of themselves as a nasty person. But anything written online exists in the real world, as much as a newspaper article does or graffiti on a front door.

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/10/the-week-in-audio-sali-hughes-me-and-my-trolls-surviving-unemployment-dyslexia-language-and-childhood

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
But anything written online exists in the real world, as much as a newspaper article does or graffiti on a front door.
Equating writing about someone on the internet or in a newspaper article with *scrawling graffiti on their front door* is quite a choice.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The Guardian included a review (?) of the "documentary". Icy in her rage is a half decent thread title :LOL: . Although we'll be weeks before that's needed. Note the: There is a lot of “women, know your place” in internet trolley" :rolleyes:

Journalist Sali Hughes, who mostly writes about beauty and style, made last week’s File on Four about this contemporary version of ye olde worlde bullying. Hughes is on social media a lot for her work and about two years ago, she was made aware that people on a gossip website were slagging her off. Ah, internet trolls. Part of every semi-public woman’s life these days. Perhaps Hughes shouldn’t have been bothered (don’t feed the trolls!), but the gossip merchants had started to affect her work: if you Googled her name, their accusations came up quite high. She did some investigation and became very upset. Because it was more than what she’d thought: the trolls were diving deep into her life, with her children, partner and dead mother all becoming part of their mad lies.

What are you meant to do in such a situation? Move away from your laptop? Shrug and move on? Block and delete? Sit down and shut up? Hughes didn’t like those solutions, so, in September 2019, she made an Instagram video about what was being written and defended herself. And she made this programme.

Hughes has a precise, almost clipped, presentational voice and for some of her links, you could feel the anger in her tone: she became even more clipped, icy in her rage. She was warmer, obviously, when speaking to other people who have been affected. One Instagrammer, a makeup artist and blogger, had her pregnancy ruined when trolls accused her of drinking during her pregnancy (she’d promoted a non-alcoholic wine brand). Motherhood is often used as a way of attacking women; according to her detractors, Hughes supposedly married her husband in order to get free childcare. There is a lot of “women, know your place” in internet trollery.

In the most surprising part of the programme, Hughes met one of her online abusers. The woman’s voice was spoken by an actor. “I’m a normal person,” she said. “I’m a nice mum, I’m a good friend… how did somebody normal end up getting involved in something that was so hurtful?” No one wants to think of themselves as a nasty person. But anything written online exists in the real world, as much as a newspaper article does or graffiti on a front door.

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/10/the-week-in-audio-sali-hughes-me-and-my-trolls-surviving-unemployment-dyslexia-language-and-childhood
that’s considered a ‘review’? About as much as the R4 programme was fact checked and accurate? I will agree that SH has a clipped voice, not just for this show though, she isn’t easy on the ears. Clipped and shrill, not the best radio combo.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.