Sali Hughes #2 Pretty Dishonest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few years ago she commented that she wouldn’t let anyone do her make up , she hinted that no one could ever do it the way she liked, in the way only Sali could say it.

That’s changed because Cher Webb, Hannah Martin , Mary Greenwell and Morag Ross have all made up her face beautifully.
In addition to Bobbi Brown and Charlotte Tilbury, as well as the Milk Makeup founder.

I just love that Sali used to say that her party trick was being able to colour match a person to their correct foundation shade just by looking at them, and then Mary Greenwell gently corrected her by telling her she’d chosen a foundation shade for herself that was too dark... and she has no clue how to do a smokey eye! (See the Graun video!)

I hate it HATE IT HATE ITTT when any of them say ‘a red lip’
Lol! When did this happen?

How many of you watched the ad with the Aveda guy on her Instagram? She actually made very little eye contact, talked over him and held on to the sofa for dear life whilst he placed the camera onto her scalp. And what is with that demented rocking??! It’s what animals do in captivity when they’re bored...

Reactions: 4
In addition to Bobbi Brown and Charlotte Tilbury, as well as the Milk Makeup founder.

I just love that Sali used to say that her party trick was being able to colour match a person to their correct foundation shade just by looking at them, and then Mary Greenwell gently corrected her by telling her she’d chosen a foundation shade for herself that was too dark... and she has no clue how to do a smokey eye! (See the Graun video!)

Lol! When did this happen?

How many of you watched the ad with the Aveda guy on her Instagram? She actually made very little eye contact, talked over him and held on to the sofa for dear life whilst he placed the camera onto her scalp. And what is with that demented rocking??! It’s what animals do in captivity when they’re bored...
She does that rocking a lot. In the Drew Barrymore advert sorry ITBW it reached near manic proportions. Very off-putting. Also constant tucking her hair behind her ear. It is a self soothing thing. She does have quite an odd manner a lot of the time. The people in the ITB series are often lovely and friendly but Sali seems a bit prickly. She just eyes all the products they have and almost snatches them from the person's hand to examine them and say 'Yes. Love'. One of the weirdest was the Katie Jane Hughes when she (KJ) did Sali's makeup. KJ seems so nice but when she showed Sali the results Sali didn't say a thing. Not 'thank you' or 'lovely' or anything. Just looked at herself without expression and said something like 'this has been SH beauty'. It was quite strange. She doesn't have much warmth, well it doesn't come across that way anyway.
Completely different topic but I still have a look at the GTL FB group occasionally (Sali asks on there a lot for questions for the podcast, someone was asking above) and Charlotte Tilbury is getting slated. It is hilarious. Shoddy expensive products, staff on most CT counters appallingly rude and CT a pain in the arse darlings. People asking if it is case of the Emporer's new clothes with her as so many influencers worship her. Sali just said re one particular complaint she would pass it on.

Reactions: 5
I hate it HATE IT HATE ITTT when any of them say ‘a red lip’
So do I!

I really have time for C Tilbury products and person. I always get the impression she knows where the bodies are buried and everybody feels they have to keep her sweet. (Totally unfounded, I’m sure, but she winds me up.)

Reactions: 2
I think SH prides herself on being 'non girly' so no giggling hyperbole. But yes, I agree, I think it comes off as superior, stand offish and rude.

I thought the KJH make up session was borderline awkward. She was very cool with the Milk founder too wasn't she? Another very gorgeous very cool woman.

The cult of the red lip as (she thinks) established by SH gets right up my schnozz.

The warmest I’ve seen her act towards another woman was her ITB with Pearl Lowe.

The KJH and Zanna Rossi interviews and make up sessions were cringing because of Sali’s know it all superior attitude which she just cannot hide, both those women are more qualified in make up or business acumen.

Sali has a chip on her shoulder about other successful women who aren’t part of her gang , it’s plain as day.

Reactions: 4
Pearl Lowe is so unsuccessful not even Sali can be threatened by her! She loves those talentless Britpop types - Louise Wener too.

• Haha
I'm just watching the Mary Greenwell video where Mary goes through her pro-kit, Jesus H Christ I need to take two Motilium.
She replies "YES!" to absolutely everything. Everything is her favourite, everything was 25 years ago when she started. It's absolutely painful to watch. How did I used to find this woman genuine?!

Isn't Mary lovely though (I just watched that too and the make up for the Pretty Honest shoot in which Sali manages to smile, be warm and say thank you).

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Mary lovely though (I just watched that too and the make up for the Pretty Honedt shoot in which Sali manages to smile, be warm and say thank you).
I'm just watching that now! I'm liking that she already told her she's wearing the wrong shade of foundation :ROFLMAO:

Ooh, I have to join! I was never on the GTL page, but joined the forum ages ago and then didn't use it for years, so I missed the days when Sali was active on it. I'm sure it's quiet these days but I do like quite a few of the regulars on there, they've been welcoming. But I'm still wary of posting anything in case Sali is hovering about ready to defend any of her faves! I wrote something negative about Charlotte Tilbury and was wondering if I'd get told off, and I was DYING to slag off India Knight after reading her "In Your Prime" book (will have to look for a thread here for that!) - I'm still kind of tempted, just to see if Sali will jump in...

But I agree with so much in your posts - I used to enjoy Sali's writing but she often infuriates me these days - so superior and with that clique-y annoying group of friends, as well as the non-disclosure of all the freebies.

I just had to go back and watch one of the ITB videos where I remembered her being spectacularly dismissive/ uninterested in one of her guests, probably due to jealousy / an inability to one-up them - it was the Gizzi Erskine one. They start talking about tattoos, Sali shows one on her back and Gizzi makes complimentary noises about it (to be fair I couldn't see it properly, but it didn't look anything special to me at all). Then Gizzi is asked to unveil her tattoo of massive angel wings on her back, and Sali just nods briefly and says something like "so so-and-so did these... that's a lot of work" - no compliment or expressions of surprise, didn't even pretend to like it!

She does seem to struggle to say nice things to people or return compliments.

Mary and her kit walk through was 🍆🍆..... although a bit 👀 that she said it was packed for a dark skinned client so she'd gone and got her blonde foundations.

Reactions: 1
Sali invented 🍆 as the penis substitute.
Has been using it since before emojis were invented.
Since before twitter.
Since before the internet.
When everyone else were drawing cock and balls on their school books, Sali was drawing aubergines.
FFS. FFS. FFS.

Of course it was. YOU LOVE COCK.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I can't honestly believe she's tweeted that. It's actually raised my blood pressure.

Reactions: 3
I meant to say “no time for” in my earlier post about CT, sorry.

I’m dying to watch that Mary Greenwell video later. I’d skipped it but it sounds worth a look 🍿.

Has anyone ever heard Sali say the words ‘I never knew that’ or ‘ I have learnt something new today’ No we haven’t because she never says them because she thinks she knows everything. Real experts and knowledgable people recognise that there is always something to learn from every situation and every person you meet. Sali’s chip on her shoulder is so large she can’t see beyond her own nose.

Reactions: 5
Has anyone ever heard Sali say the words ‘I never knew that’ or ‘ I have learnt something new today’ No we haven’t because she never says them because she thinks she knows everything. Real experts and knowledgable people recognise that there is always something to learn from every situation and every person you meet. Sali’s chip on her shoulder is so large she can’t see beyond her own nose.
Yes you are right. She seems to think it is a sign of weakness to admit you don't know everything but I think it also shows a lack of curiosity or interest in other people. Hence her odd behaviour with true experts. You would think she would be so happy and pleased to be in their company but often she comes across as defensive and a know it all. For all her professing to love 'smart' women she really doesn't seem to.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.