Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok I know I could just google this, but what the hell is micellar water and why is everyone using it? Like this new thing has just appeared in everyone's cleansing routine which never existed when I was younger...not meaning to sound grumpy...just I've lived long enough without it, what's the deal?
I'd have to Google it to tell you :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I think it's a cleanse you can do without water to get makeup off. But you generally are then supposed to use a wash off cleanser afterwards I think.

Ok I know I could just google this, but what the hell is micellar water and why is everyone using it? Like this new thing has just appeared in everyone's cleansing routine which never existed when I was younger...not meaning to sound grumpy...just I've lived long enough without it, what's the deal?
I'd say it was a really clever mix of oil and water - it acts like oil (in dissolving oil based make-up) but feels like water (fresh, non greasy). You put it on a cotton wool pad, wipe across the face and repeat until nothing more comes off. I don't think you need to do anything afterwards (e.g. rinse or follow with another cleanser) but I'm sure different approaches suit different people.

I first came across it around 15 years ago (though I see from a quick google that it's been around for 25 years). It was made originally by the French brand Bioderma and for quite a while it was the only brand making it and you could only get it in France. People, me included, would stock up on trips to France. I'm a bit like SH in missing the days when you had to hunt down special products.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I'd say it was a really clever mix of oil and water - it acts like oil (in dissolving oil based make-up) but feels like water (fresh, non greasy). You put it on a cotton wool pad, wipe across the face and repeat until nothing more comes off. I don't think you need to do anything afterwards (e.g. rinse or follow with another cleanser) but I'm sure different approaches suit different people.

I first came across it around 15 years ago (though I see from a quick google that it's been around for 25 years). It was made originally by the French brand Bioderma and for quite a while it was the only brand making it and you could only get it in France. People, me included, would stock up on trips to France. I'm a bit like SH in regretting the days when you had to hunt down special products.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good idea for people who wear make up and need that oil which breaks stuff up well.

Reactions: 2
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good idea for people who wear make up and need that oil which breaks stuff up well.
It's probably quite a good way of cleansing skin even if not wearing make-up. (I'm a hot cloth cleanser myself but use miceller water from time to time.)

I'll also say Bioderma is great for anyone dealing with depression. I know when I was suffering the most, having it and some cotton pads by my bed at night meant I felt slightly less gross when my self-care otherwise wasn't amazing. I imagine its similarly useful in hospital?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'll also say Bioderma is great for anyone dealing with depression. I know when I was suffering the most, having it and some cotton pads by my bed at night meant I felt slightly less gross when my self-care otherwise wasn't amazing. I imagine its similarly useful in hospital?
Yes, that's another great thing about it - you don't need to be at a sink or have access to water.

On why post the cycling video, I think there's probably an element of what everyone has said: it's a status symbol, negotiated a discount in return for posting, pleased with the ways she looks. I think there's also the need to keep posting 'content' to maintain 'engagement' with her 'community'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Brilliant explanation of the science behind micellar water here, to add to @Aude's post:

Seems like rinsing afterwards isn't necessary, just preferred by some people.

I only just started my hyaluronic ban after the discussion here last week and Jessica Defino's article, so I'm going to carry on with that for a couple more weeks and see where my sensitive/dry/eczema-prone skin is at. If there's no improvement after a month, I'm going to switch to micellar cleansing and ditch the hot cloths for a while. I've already cut out out active skincare, and prefer to do one thing at a time so I can try to get a handle on the triggers.

Reactions: 5
Brilliant explanation of the science behind micellar water here, to add to @Aude's post:

Seems like rinsing afterwards isn't necessary, just preferred by some people.

I only just started my hyaluronic ban after the discussion here last week and Jessica Defino's article, so I'm going to carry on with that for a couple more weeks and see where my sensitive/dry/eczema-prone skin is at. If there's no improvement after a month, I'm going to switch to micellar cleansing and ditch the hot cloths for a while. I've already cut out out active skincare, and prefer to do one thing at a time so I can try to get a handle on the triggers.
Labmuffin's explanations are so good.

I use micellar water to remove any eye make-up that's left (usually mascara) after cleansing (I only use ONE cleanser with water, an oil-based one). I have used micellar only in the past, too and my skin was fine.

(I only use ONE cleanser with water, an oil-based one).
I do this too, usually Simple oil or Clinique TTDO, and it works great for me (gets everything off in one go if I'm wearing makeup, leaves skin comfortable straight afterwards), but worried the constant washing with water is actually drying me out.

Kinda glad I don't have problems whereby I need to cleanse with anything other than an oil cleanse (for when I wear make up) and Cetaphil for every other day.

Also Nuface update. Tried the highest setting. No visible lift yet (my sag is stubborn!) and felt a bit tingly so shall be more careful next time.

Reactions: 3
Kinda glad I don't have problems whereby I need to cleanse with anything other than an oil cleanse (for when I wear make up) and Cetaphil for every other day.

Also Nuface update. Tried the highest setting. No visible lift yet (my sag is stubborn!) and felt a bit tingly so shall be more careful next time.
Make sure your skin is wet with gel!

Received my nuface but unfortunately it’s going back. Read the warnings on the back of box before I opened it and saw I couldn’t use it because of medical condition :( Shame Look Fantastic didn’t list any of the warnings on their website. They have agreed I can return and they’re paying for the postage. Gutted I can’t keep it though...

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Received my nuface but unfortunately it’s going back. Read the warnings on the back of box before I opened it and saw I couldn’t use it because of medical condition :( Shame Look Fantastic didn’t list any of the warnings on their website. They have agreed I can return and they’re paying for the postage. Gutted I can’t keep it though...
Shame. On the flip side, one less thing to faff over every day.

Shame. On the flip side, one less thing to faff over every day.
Don't tell me you're bored already! Looks like @RayRayJay ('I'll buy second hand from whoever gets bored first') will be getting a bargain sooner than she thought.

Make sure your skin is wet with gel!
Yes, and don't worry about it feeeling tingly - it's not doing any harm. Just turn it down a notch if it's uncomfortable.

• Haha
Don't tell me you're bored already! Looks like @RayRayJay ('I'll buy second hand from whoever gets bored first') will be getting a bargain sooner than she thought.

Yes, and don't worry about it feeeling tingly - it's not doing any harm. Just turn it down a notch if it's uncomfortable.
I am NOTORIOUS for picking up hobbies and getting bored. Let's see if this little addition to my routine sticks. I want to do it every night in front of the tv, but then there's the faff of applying and taking off gel. Will it get messy? Do I really want to be standing in front of the mirror an extra 10 mins every day? Decisions decision!

I didn’t overdo the gel after watching HotnFlashy but I think I’ll put more on tomorrow, she used a foundation brush to apply it but she’s much more refined than me 😂
People who are more refined than us don't get conducting gel stuck in their hair I'll bet. Brb off to find a fricking foundation brush.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Anyone braved listening to Sali’s friendship Woman’s Hour yet? Another topic she in no way excels at.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.