Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Jelly Bean - To be fair to MK, she made a point of not opening up the candle and saying exactly that she didn’t want people to think she’s ‘raking in free stuff’ and that she had a friend that works with women’s refuge she passes stuff on. She also said something along the line ‘it’s fig and cucumber smell which a bit weird but I’m sure it’s ok because it’s BF’:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ’curated’ was a term she used with a wild abandon too!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I too hate this idea that selt-care is best achieved with the purchase of a new product. That attitude was rife among GTL iirc. I have so many nail polishes. I definitely don't need to put a delivery driver at risk by getting more mailed to me. Or spend £15 on a bottle myself.

It's a trick to make people think that if they don't spend money on a treat for themselves they aren't valuing themselves enough. It's how people get into debt. It makes me sick to think how much I was enabled in the past.

It's also grim on behalf of influencers because they aren't paying for any of their self care. They can transfer the money we spend on nail polish into their stocks and shares ISA and do some self care for their future

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I too hate this idea that selt-care is best achieved with the purchase of a new product. That attitude was rife among GTL iirc. I have so many nail polishes. I definitely don't need to put a delivery driver at risk by getting more mailed to me. Or spend £15 on a bottle myself.

It's a trick to make people think that if they don't spend money on a treat for themselves they aren't valuing themselves enough. It's how people get into debt. It makes me sick to think how much I was enabled in the past.

It's also grim on behalf of influencers because they aren't paying for any of their self care. They can transfer the money we spend on nail polish into their stocks and shares ISA and do some self care for their future
Exactly, as if anyone who is inclined that way doesn't have a bottle or two knocking around. If you're not into nail polish, you're not going to be divinely inspired by the column. Such a waste

My weakness from my early Sali days are lipsticks, I have so many and it truly sickens me that I was so foolish for believing that it was empowering to buy so many

As for Marian Keyes getting the box gifted, she's a millionaire author, it does sicken me that people who don't need free stuff get it while it's us saps that are expected to put our hands into our pockets. Why does anyone need to be sent a free box? Again, it shows the ridiculous mark up if the boxes are also being sent for free

Reactions: 10

It's gone 180 from that 'self care is a political act' quote.
Self care is often v unattractive. It's a night bus ride when you feel grim but your body needs something from a 24hr pharmacy. Its saying no to someone draining or not respectful. Its taking care of body parts that mainstream media consider different to the aesthetic norm.

I've heard first hand that lots of independent therapists are struggling financially atm because their clients are.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Lisa Eldridge's cat is more relevant than Sali these days... #styledbyTed
have actually just watched that LE video. I know it wasn’t a full on makeup look but she totally is a master at her craft. But yes Ted is more relevant and possibly knowledgeable.

so the news is telling us of a deep recession, worse than 2008 but Sali is trying to flog a £130 box of mediocre stuff and £16 nail decals just for lolz. Jesus wept. Also curious why she thinks everyone has bags of extra time in their lives. Many people are still working, many doing so with added supervision and schooling of children thrown in. She lives in a little privileged bubble and can’t imagine life outside it, it’s hideous.

Reactions: 16
I agree with the above saying how vile it is that rich people get them for free. I honestly think I would have so much guilt over accepting one if that were me.. I already feel very guilty about my privilige and I'm working class! Can't imagine if I was actually rich :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 8
Susie is also best friends with Bella Freud who is a board member of The Vampire’s Wife and both are friends (fake AF) friends with (La) Moss. Sali would DIE to get into this circle.
I won't stand for any criticism of Kate Moss :m

I noticed Sali telling Hershesons she'd be bringing the whole family in once this was over. Maybe that's what the excessive and gratuitous Guardian mentions were about

• Wow
  • Angry
I'm fed up of beauty influencers justifying the waste and quantity of unsolicited stuff they receive by saying that they give unwanted stuff to a woman's refuge. What the hell is a woman who has left everything behind and fled her home because of abuse going to do with a bleeping candle? It's really the very least, most pitiful gesture a woman could make to another. Abused women need money, not second hand makeup.

Also CH giving her 'press sample' boxes to the NHS workers...that's a neat trick. It used to be the case that a brand needed the publicity of the press to reach consumers. Influencers are both press and brand. They don't need the press because they have direct contact with consumers (nb this is what SH struggles with). Influencers sending out press samples is like QVC doing the same with everything they sell... So when CH makes this magnanimous claim, I'd ask how many. I bet the number is less than 10, if that.

Also I can't believe SH didn't mention her beloved muji nail clippers!! She used to mention them all the time (I got a pair and she wasn't wrong, they are brilliant)...as someone said above, she clearly now follows a no money, no mention policy...

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Sending the boxes out to high profile slebs/influencers isn’t really gifting them though, it’s a punt on getting a free advert. That is a hell of a shot of publicity from Marian Keyes. And they all do it for each other.

Reactions: 9
Sending the boxes out to high profile slebs/influencers isn’t really gifting them though, it’s a punt on getting a free advert. That is a hell of a shot of publicity from Marian Keyes. And they all do it for each other.
yep, every time one of them releases another mediocre book

I still can't get my head around the timing of this. Did no one think it might be best to push it back a bit?

Reactions: 5
I still can't get my head around the timing of this. Did no one think it might be best to push it back a bit?
I'm not sure there's going to be a right time for this sort of thing for a while.

I think people are in very different situations at the moment: some with time on their hands, some busier than ever; some desperately worried about their finances, some with money to spend on this sort of thing because they're not spending it on salon treatments/restaurants/holidays.

Reactions: 5
yeah there’ll always be a market, a lot of people have a lot of money. She doesn’t need to worry .... if it’s not for you, don’t buy it. That is the only thinking when it comes to it.

i am not a fan at all but I don’t think she, or we, need to be pure on this. if nice products make you feel a bit better, and you’ve got the dollar, dig in. I just did my five step cleanse and it feels real good.

Reactions: 2
i am not a fan at all but I don’t think she, or we, need to be pure on this.
What do you mean by pure? Pretty honest?

I dont think anyone here is against an expensive lovely cleansing routine, it's a discussion about a lack of transparency, lack of research and lack of tact in her articles and paid promotions

Reactions: 9
Her business model, I meant though didn’t express well. Seems to me like she’s pivoted -+to survive I guess.

🤷‍♀️ she said she had 5 jobs. She is happily saving shampoo in Glasgow and helping the nail sticker buisness not just to survive but thrive in Brighton?

(Obviously I hope she is financially stable, but given the prices quoted in her articles I'm not worried for her)

:m

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.