Sali Hughes #15 Ugg slipper, a red lip, when dressing for Leonard don't let standards slip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yup, with you there @Lemsipmax and @LennyBriscoe . Huge hugs.

also @hongkongfuey, so sorry to read what you’ve been through, didn’t intend my stupid candle references to upset anyone. If only Sali would also take a moment to consider...

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Aah I see! I’m new to the thread and had just skimmed the pages so far. Thanks!
Don’t worry, no one understands it. It’s something to do with Sali’s plan to save the economy. A Beauty Beveridge Plan, if you will... 🤷🏻‍♀️

And welcome to the depths!! 🤗

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Bored of blue tick types trying to point out silver linings during this time.
How has this changed Sali's working week at all? She always said she disliked and turned down most industry events and was 'too busy with multiple jobs' for facials. She tweets and gets packages delivered the same. Minus the train makeup selfies nothing has changed for her, so presumably she has the same amount of free time as before?

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I see the influencers/media types have begun to receive their freebie Beauty Boxes. Wealthy people receiving freebies for them to flog to us plebs makes me feel so sad/sick.

Also, if the idea of extracting snail mucin is upsetting for you, you should maybe think about only buying cruelty free vegan products.Carmine, silk, beeswax (et al) extractions aren't exactly cuddley and cruelty free. Just saying (honestly not a lecture). It is nice to see people care :).

Reactions: 9
"Hours of fun" with nail stickers that cost £16!
I know! I was so shocked at that price - I presumed they were about £1.50 from Claire's Accessories.
I too am sick to the back teeth of people like Sali earnestly telling us to look on this lockdown as 'me time' and the ideal opportunity for self care. A small proportion of people, I imagine, are either financially and/or mentally able or willing to look upon it like that. Tone deaf. Again.

Reactions: 10
I'd be very interested in knowing more about the behind the scenes of these boxes. How much say do the influencers really have on what goes in? Are they paid extra for including certain brands or do they have clauses in the contract for future paid promotions? Are they pushed to include certain things that are over stocked, not selling well?

To be absolutely clear, I'm not accusing SH of any of the above. I'm just curious.
Me too. Also interested to understand the economics. It's being sold at 40% off rrp plus free worldwide shipping. Plus there's the expense of producing a glossy brochure and special packaging. And yet it's still making enough profit to make it worthwhile for SH, Cult Beauty and the brands.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Me too. Also interested to understand the economics. It's being sold at 40% off rrp plus free worldwide shipping. Plus there's the expense of producing a glossy brochure and special packaging. And yet it's still making enough profit to make it worthwhile for SH, Cult Beauty and the brands.
Exactly. These boxes just highlight what an obscene markup they put on their products. It has put me off a lot of brands for sure and I've unsubscribed from Cult Beauty and won't be buying from them again.

Reactions: 13
I know! I was so shocked at that price - I presumed they were about £1.50 from Claire's Accessories.
I too am sick to the back teeth of people like Sali earnestly telling us to look on this lockdown as 'me time' and the ideal opportunity for self care. A small proportion of people, I imagine, are either financially and/or mentally able or willing to look upon it like that. Tone deaf. Again.
I'm assuming she isnt particularly creative (didnt stick with being a mua) or she could have turned any of her columns into DIY versions.
I'm all for self expression but I feel it has been commodified into how we consume and curate with makeup and outfits, rather than say illustrating and other experiments?

Sali tried to cozy up to Susie Cave, Nick’s wife who owns The Vampire’s Wife a few years ago. She wore their dresses for her wedding. At the time the office and showroom were round the corner from her in Brighton.
Susie is also best friends with Bella Freud who is a board member of The Vampire’s Wife and both are friends (fake AF) friends with (La) Moss. Sali would DIE to get into this circle.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
I see the influencers/media types have begun to receive their freebie Beauty Boxes. Wealthy people receiving freebies for them to flog to us plebs makes me feel so sad/sick.
So so vile.

Am I correct that Caroline Hirons didn't do any free ones for influencers, they went to key workers?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Eugh, I don't follow any influencers anymore - I'm looking up the usual suspects, but can't find anyone. Who on your radar is getting them?

I'm guessing the wealthy types who can already afford to pay full price and have all the free time Sali goes on about

Reactions: 1
I used to particularly enjoy it when SH - in fact all left journalists (I am a leftie) -would berate anyone dare complaining about strike action on public transport whilst presumably not having to battle anywhere to sit at that desk because that’s your organisation‘s position - or take a day‘s leave. It’s possible to support the right to strike but still be horrified at the ordeal of getting to work because of strike action. Always enjoyed that lesson from someone in their pjs at their kitchen table earning their crust - just wild.

Eugh, I don't follow any influencers anymore - I'm looking up the usual suspects, but can't find anyone. Who on your radar is getting them?

I'm guessing the wealthy types who can already afford to pay full price and have all the free time Sali goes on about
I have just seen Marian Keyes unbox hers. I really like Marian ( she is a friend of Sali's). The boxes haven't been sent out yet so I gather it is part of the boxes promotion.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Sali tried to cozy up to Susie Cave, Nick’s wife who owns The Vampire’s Wife a few years ago. She wore their dresses for her wedding. At the time the office and showroom were round the corner from her in Brighton.
Susie is also best friends with Bella Freud who is a board member of The Vampire’s Wife and both are friends (fake AF) friends with (La) Moss. Sali would DIE to get into this circle.
I found it hilarious that SH felt the need to clarify on IG that she paid for her wedding dresses. Elizabeth Moss, Salma Hayek, Dakota Johnson and other Hollwood stars been seen wearing VW dresses at time. I don't think Susie was desperate for her dresses to be seen on a Pool columnist/Soho Radio host's IG!
(Obviously SH had Sam McKnight and Mary Green doing her hair and makeup which is pretty major so not suggesting she has no connections. And I think her followers overestimate her status rather than SH doing do herself - some asked if she'd be selling rights to her wedding to a magazine - and possibly think SH wearing their dress would be a major coup for a brand.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Marian Keys unboxing SH’s beauty box on insta is an instant comedy classic- in fact I demand that MK reviewed all new cosmetics launches going forward. It’s like a 4-year given the free reins on her mummy’s makeup box. I really want the give her a hug and tell her it’s all going to be ok!

• Haha
Marian Keys unboxing SH’s beauty box on insta is an instant comedy classic- in fact I demand that MK reviewed all new cosmetics launches going forward. It’s like a 4-year given the free reins on her mummy’s makeup box. I really want the give her a hug and tell her it’s all going to be ok!
Did she say anything about the candle?
I do think it is revolting wealthy people get them for free.

Did she say anything about the candle?
I do think it is revolting wealthy people get them for free.
And it's not like these are new products.
They probably got the PR package the first time round too

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.