Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think she's especially slim, pretty average (i.e. a little plump in her mid 40s). And that's fine! She's very pretty. I'd love to see her espousing that kind of changing beauty as you go through life, you can't really do that ingenue white collar frock look after a certain age, it looks silly.
I’ve met her at an event a year ish ago and she was very slim (and petite). And surely let’s not get into ageist comments about at what age you can wear what clothes?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm more curious about who/where she writes for these days apart from the Guardian.
I've been wondering that. On the Fortunately podcast she's described as a 'writer and journalist' - yet apart from the (usually) weekly Guardian piece I never see any actual output from the writing and journalism. The only output I see is either a) influencing or b) generally maintaining a public profile/connection with followers (presumably to support the influencing).

Reactions: 4
She's definitely not plump. She's often seated with the camera at an unflattering height in her videos.
Anyway now we're a bunch of women slagging off other women about her weight. Not what the thread should be about.

Reactions: 20
I think SH looks great and whatever she’s doing to look as she does, clearly works for her and good on her.

For most people looking in a good shape taken effort and determination, and it’s nice if we have a more honest take on that.

Recently Drew Barrymore posted a very insightful view on what it takes to look good after having kids and in her 40s, which I found quite refreshing:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Anyway now we're a bunch of women slagging off other women about her weight. Not what the thread should be about.
Not sure that's fair - I haven't seen anyone here slagging anyone off about their weight. That's definitely not who we are.

Reactions: 3
Not sure that's fair - I haven't seen anyone here slagging anyone off about their weight. That's definitely not who we are.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was thinking of how it would be portrayed by SH, given how she has portrayed what's discussed here previously and given how she misrepresented mention of India Knight's (on mumsnet) and her assistant's weight (ages ago in an early thread swiftly withdrawn by poster).
Didn't mean anything snide towards other posters.

Agree that her weight shouldn’t even be mentioned, it’s completely irrelevant and only gives her an excuse to say we are now attacking her about being ‘fat’ which of course we aren’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, it sounded mean and catty. I meant it's unrealistic to stay the same size and shape as you get older. The relentless ageism of the beauty industry means that there's huge pressure on influencers to conform to a certain ideal which gets really hard after a certain point. If people are hanging on your every word you should perhaps be talking about that because not all your target market is young. SH's approach to all of this is airy dismissal and an assumption that it's effortless which it really isn't.

Reactions: 14
Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, it sounded mean and catty. I meant it's unrealistic to stay the same size and shape as you get older. The relentless ageism of the beauty industry means that there's huge pressure on influencers to conform to a certain ideal which gets really hard after a certain point. If people are hanging on your every word you should perhaps be talking about that because not all your target market is young. SH's approach to all of this is airy dismissal and an assumption that it's effortless which it really isn't.
Totally agree that the “effortless, excellent genes” attitude is awful. And irresponsible. And likely not honest.

I've been wondering that. On the Fortunately podcast she's described as a 'writer and journalist' - yet apart from the (usually) weekly Guardian piece I never see any actual output from the writing and journalism. The only output I see is either a) influencing or b) generally maintaining a public profile/connection with followers (presumably to support the influencing).
And doing appearances in department stores, hosting events - it seems she *was* doing more of that sort of thing.
I did listen to the podcast- Garvey and Glover seemed easily impressed by her. Her description of beauty for women of colour and older women as catering to sub tribes and niches was a bit wtf.
And citing herself!

(I've asked for my original post to be deleted)
Don't feel bad. We're not all gifted writers like Sali!
No one's thinking anything because of it.

Totally agree that the “effortless, excellent genes” attitude is awful. And irresponsible. And likely not honest.
Not even pretty honest. Pretty crappy, actually.

Reactions: 5
I don’t care what they wear. I don’t care what they weigh. I don’t care if they wear make up in lockdown or am going au natural (but help from fillers and micro blading)

I do care about being conned into thinking it’s easy and attainable. it’s not.

As the old adage goes ‘Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s press treatments’.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I don’t care what they wear. I don’t care what they weigh. I don’t care if they wear make up in lockdown or am going au natural (but help from fillers and micro blading)

I do care about being conned into thinking it’s easy and attainable. it’s not.

As the old adage goes ‘Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s press treatments’.
This. Stop fooling people. Try being honest.

I’m cringing at this. Who in their right mind would post footage of themselves exercising? Unless it was more soft sell/subtle marketing #poleton

(Didnt realise tattle doesnt let you edit posts after 30mins - apologies for the pretentious word vomit, it needed a serious edit. Or more alliteration for Sali style)

PS there are 'rollers' you can get for a regular bike which can turn it into a static bike if anyone else hasn't had a press sample from peleton yet

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.