Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That book is a nice idea. Though I'm curious what everyone thinks of the NHS getting so many donations/being treated like a charity? The government have a lot to answer for that it has gotten to this stage.

Not saying I disagree with people donating of course it's lovely to see people stepping up. I donated as I was so touched by Captain Tom. But would rather see tax dodgers being forced to finally cough up. Quite sad where we have gotten to the point that a 99 year old man feels he needs to challenge himself to fund something that should be covered..

Sorry possibly too OT, just seeing that book for NHS got me thinking.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Yep, the fetishisation of the health service is very strange - behind the scenes there are people without PPE and being made to work in unsafe conditions. Clapping and donating a box of Elemis isn't going to address the real fears of the people in the thick of it or hold accountable those who contributed to the poor working conditions.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Yep, the fetishisation of the health service is very strange - behind the scenes there are people without PPE and being made to work in unsafe conditions. Clapping and donating a box of Elemis isn't going to address the real fears of the people in the thick of it or hold accountable those who contributed to the poor working conditions.
Exactly this. My friend is working in ICU in a hospital in north west England and she says the news isn't portraying the reality at all. Not enough staff and staff members out of their depth. Not the correct equipment, not enough to go around. It sounds absolutely awful and I think a lot of people have been made to feel too afraid to speak to the press.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
She’s been at home for weeks, has unlimited access to all the UK indie beauty brands & this is all we get?! Three recommendations (affiliate links) plus a load of waffle. Waste of space. I know we’re accused of deep research, but I wish she’d do some light research...you know, for her job? Too busy & grand with BB - which is fine - but please can the Guardian give the gig to someone who cares & has something fresh to say?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
There's a certain perverse irony of telling readers now is the time to reach into their pockets to support independent brands, when money is tight for a lot of families, including £40 for a 30ml moisturiser. Just duck off with that.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I couldn't care less either. Who is she going to out me to? I can't imagine anyone I know would care.

Me neither, and I remember when it used to be a must read for me.
I used to love reading it in bed with a cup of tea during my Saturday morning sleep in

Reactions: 4
When even her critics can’t be arsed to read her latest , limp offering because it’s so lacking in care or thought and is totally irrelevant , Sali should recognise the game is up.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I’d have a lot more respect for columns that encouraged people NOT to spend at the moment, but how to make do with what you have at home. Encourage people to try out all the sample sizes from gifts with purchase or beauty boxes. What you can DIY from what you’re likely to have. How to pamper yourself without spending the 80% salary that so many people are probably existing on now (or worse! I know not everyone is furloughed). I get that that’s not what it’s about, it’s all about shilling. But hey.
The fact that a man about to get his birthday card from the Queen appears to be single-handedly saving the NHS makes me angry at the choices made by the government. Obviously Captain Tom Moore is a gem of a chap and he should probably be Prime Minister, I’m just sad that he’s done it in the first place. A pandemic is always going to be extremely hard to prepare for, and there was always going to need to be an element of the general public helping out (by doing things like sewing new scrubs or making headbands to take the pressure of the ears of those in masks), and there would have to be a degree of throwing money at the problems to bring in extra supplies (as little as 6 months ago we’d have all gone mad if we’d learned the government had bought millions of face masks ‘just incase’, if we are honest), but the fact that it was on its knees due to cuts anyway makes the whole thing terrifying, frankly. It’s not just the NHS, it’s so many statutory and government funded services. All of which are now ‘essential’ services. All of which are tasked with someone getting and many people through this unscathed as possible. It’s an overwhelming prospect.
Pardon my rant! You can tell I am not wearing a red lip today.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I read it and thought, well nothing really. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't inspiring. Just was there. I wonder though if part of the problem is I simply don't give a tit about buying beauty products now. I appreciate as a beauty writer she has to write something - and I actually can't think what I would even be interested in reading about the subject right now. Certainly nothing that revolves around buying stuff. Maybe how to achieve a classic look with products you probably already have?
I had a dip into FB for first time in ages - and on Caroline Hiron's group someone recommended Sali's columns and someone else commented they used to love them but since comments stopped they had forgotten about them and haven't bothered. I thought it interesting as they were actually a fan.

Reactions: 11
I read it and thought, well nothing really. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't inspiring. Just was there. I wonder though if part of the problem is I simply don't give a tit about buying beauty products now. I appreciate as a beauty writer she has to write something - and I actually can't think what I would even be interested in reading about the subject right now. Certainly nothing that revolves around buying stuff. Maybe how to achieve a classic look with products you probably already have?
I had a dip into FB for first time in ages - and on Caroline Hiron's group someone recommended Sali's columns and someone else commented they used to love them but since comments stopped they had forgotten about them and haven't bothered. I thought it interesting as they were actually a fan.
That's the problem and it's entirely created by SH herself. By shutting down the possibility of comments from beefy-faced Tattler "trolls" which in all honesty is a tiny proportion of her adoring fanbase, she has alienated people who actually are fans. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater

What I don't get about the column is how there's now a great urgency to support brands as "British as the beeb" when before she's been all about the major brands like the Lauder group. Is it because it was in her interests before to constantly promote the bigger brands?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes, the column used to be a conversation starter in the comments. Now the conversation happens elsewhere so makes the column less relevant, unfortunately.

While the book is a nice idea, I think celebrities just seem irrelevant at the moment. They’re like fast food when people are craving wholesome.. (argh no, I’m sounding like...!!). Anyway, I think normal people’s stories are more compelling at the moment because that’s who is out there getting stuff done - like front line workers, Capt Moore etc.

Also I bet Merumaya is thrilled about the mention and smarting on the packaging smack. It’s great to hear the honesty but an unexpected time to start saying it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Also I bet Merumaya is thrilled about the mention and smarting on the packaging smack. It’s great to hear the honesty but an unexpected time to start saying it.
A worse sin than Merumaya's packaging, and more worthy of mention, is the strong cloying scent of all the products. I found it intolerable and threw away what I bought.

Reactions: 4
Me too. It all seems so irrelevant. Plus why should delivery drivers and postal staff risk catching coronavirus and dying (or at the very least losing their income for two weeks) for spoilt people ordering a cleanser or whatever 'to try' which will likely as not be used once and slung aside onto the pile of similar products? Even if they are British brands?

This is an example of her sham honesty. Shill a product/brand, but pick some minor issue to criticise, so giving the impression of hard-hitting impartiality (usually packaging-related, or ‘too rich for oily skins’ etc).

Reactions: 8
To say she’s “never without” a product means nothing when you are routinely sent products and brands will ask you if there’s anything you’d like to be sent gratis.

And to suggest “no home should be without” a hyaluronic acid serum is just hyperbolic nonsense. Most households cope just fine.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
It does seem harsh and I feel so sorry for any business struggling - it is tit - but as has been said it just doesn't seem the time to treat yourself to even a British brand. And totally agree about unnecessary trips for delivery workers. I still get cross at the amount of IG people and on twitter who moan about their food deliveries, when they are perfectly able to go to the shop, so they are taking up vital delivery slots from people who just can't leave the house.
And the NHS book is a good idea, but as @Curio says I'm not sure I want to read about a celebrity's views on it rather than anyone else's. They all seem strangely irrelevant these days.

A worse sin than Merumaya's packaging, and more worthy of mention, is the strong cloying scent of all the products. I found it intolerable and threw away what I bought.
I have to say, I use a lot of Merumaya products and love them (and the scent!). As a vegan, I love that I'm supporting a small independent, cruelty free British brand 🙃

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.