Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Obviously NHS workers do a trojan job but it's fair to assume they're not on the breadline the way the people who the charity was originally set up for are. And the me time for the front line slogan is just nauseating

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have friends who work in the NHS, and they are getting so much free stuff atm, it's amazing. However, they really deserve to be properly remunerated based on their value to society, rather than being seen as charity cases deserving a free box of tampons and own brand deodorant, but that's a separate issue.

NHS staff are not in hygiene poverty, so why is BB wasting its time giving them donations? There must be more people than ever who are genuinely in poverty, so why is BB not trumpeting how many foodbanks or open houses it is supporting with donations of products and 'luxuries'. Or do poor people not deserve luxuries?

Reactions: 18
Exactly, it purported to help those experiencing hygiene poverty but now it has switched focus. This is less about how the charity is there to actually help people but more to do with the profile of the charity founders. I know it sounds cynical but that's the only conclusion that can be drawn from it.

Reactions: 10
Obviously NHS workers do a trojan job but it's fair to assume they're not on the breadline the way the people who the charity was originally set up for are.
Yes, this is what I meant. You phrased it better!

Are BB donating to places like Women's Aid, Refuge etc? I would hope so.

The women (and children) in refuges and/or having to leave home for their own safety are genuinely in need - some of them will have absolutely nothing.

Reactions: 2
re 'broken':

Sali, it is the easiest thing in the world to dismiss people who disagree with you or question your integrity as 'broken'. But maybe those of us you dismiss as 'a bunch of broken people' are the ones who listen, who pay attention, are sensitive enough to pick up on when we are being sold and told half-truths and are strong enough to voice it when we smell the bullshit. In fact, the opposite of broken, I'd venture to say.

It's also easy to dismiss all of Tattlelife as a 'cesspit'. I don't know about the other threads. However, before I'd even read or wrote anything on here, I questioned some things from you which didn't seem right to me on your Insta ( in a polite way ) and you totally closed me down/blocked me, had your bluetick mates block me too. I suspect if I'd sent you a personal letter outlining my concerns and questions with what didn't sit right, equally as polite, the outcome would have been the same: blocked and dismissed as 'broken' and 'scum'.

So as much as it's where you direct your anger, it's not really about Tattlelife at all. It's just about anyone who has the wherewithal to speak up.

You live in a world where you cannot seem to tolerate anyone asking you anything anymore-all of the short, snide and curt responses speak of that.

Who's the broken one?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Exactly, it purported to help those experiencing hygiene poverty but now it has switched focus. This is less about how the charity is there to actually help people but more to do with the profile of the charity founders. I know it sounds cynical but that's the only conclusion that can be drawn from it.
👍, agreed!

Reactions: 1
NHS staff are not in hygiene poverty, so why is BB wasting its time giving them donations? There must be more people than ever who are genuinely in poverty, so why is BB not trumpeting how many foodbanks or open houses it is supporting with donations of products and 'luxuries'. Or do poor people not deserve luxuries?

Nhs staff may not be in hygiene poverty but there is evidence of nhs staff having to use foodbanks to feed their families.

Not replying to you bottlewrapper - just your point prompted me - I hope that when this dies down. Nhs staff are still recognised as key workers and get the remuneration they deserve. (And I say that as an IT based nhs worker who, while not paid my industry standard, is paid enough to feed and clothe my family well so I don’t mean the likes of me).

Reactions: 7
I know at one point nurses & midwives were short of hand cream from all the hand washing & disinfectant hand gel, but precisely why this has morphed into sending loads of beauty & skin care products is a mystery to me. I means obviously it’s good to show appreciation for the NHS’s massive contribution to our nation, but on balance, if the motivation is to give something back to key workers wouldn’t it be better to give something lovely to a low waged Tesco shelf stacker than a well paid brain surgeon? It seems all about the PR than the legitimate pursuit of stated charitable objectives.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Beauty Banks have jumped on this NHS crisis , there’s no other way to see it.
Yes, and they are relatively shielded from criticism too. As an aside, I can't stand the way the language of war has been co-opted to refer to essential workers. It's a propaganda technique - along with the clapping - to prepare the public for deaths directly due to shortages of PPE and adequate preparedness for a pandemic. It's cynical af

If Sali were to pause when she feels the swell of rage about things said here and reflect on why it's causing that reaction - rather than just lashing out with mental health slurs etc - she might discover things about herself. I suspect there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on and that is why she has so much anger and bitterness. Same goes for when she's being snappy with non bluetickers

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes, and they are relatively shielded from criticism too.
You are so right. It feels like any querying of BB is a criticism of the NHS, which is most certainly not my intention or I'm sure anyone else's. I just don't see the connection between 'treats' for the NHS staff (lovely as that is) and basics for people in dire poverty. The request on March 14th was for people in hygiene poverty (it did mention donations to NHS trusts in the long list). It seems mean and splitting hairs to query this - but most charities have very clear aims and objectives - as much as they would like to help everyone.

re 'broken':

Sali, it is the easiest thing in the world to dismiss people who disagree with you or question your integrity as 'broken'. But maybe those of us you dismiss as 'a bunch of broken people' are the ones who listen, who pay attention, are sensitive enough to pick up on when we are being sold and told half-truths and are strong enough to voice it when we smell the bullshit. In fact, the opposite of broken, I'd venture to say.

It's also easy to dismiss all of Tattlelife as a 'cesspit'. I don't know about the other threads. However, before I'd even read or wrote anything on here, I questioned some things from you which didn't seem right to me on your Insta ( in a polite way ) and you totally closed me down/blocked me, had your bluetick mates block me too. I suspect if I'd sent you a personal letter outlining my concerns and questions with what didn't sit right, equally as polite, the outcome would have been the same: blocked and dismissed as 'broken' and 'scum'.

So as much as it's where you direct your anger, it's not really about Tattlelife at all. It's just about anyone who has the wherewithal to speak up.

You live in a world where you cannot seem to tolerate anyone asking you anything anymore-all of the short, snide and curt responses speak of that.

Who's the broken one?
For the longest time, Sali had pretty much the unwavering devotion of many. A Facebook group in her name, and then a forum, many dedicated fans who referred to themselves as "Salinistas", those who wore red lipstick even though they didn't like it because Sali told them it suited every woman. The guarantee that by writing about a product she wrote about would cause a mass stampede and be sold out about an hour after the column had been live. Readers who showed up at events. Those who loyally bought her books

Sure there were detractors, but they were below the line commentators and easily dismissed as trolls, the almost ridiculous "my granny did nothing with her skin, smoked 70 cigarettes a day and barely had a wrinkle". They just added further fuel to Sali's manifesto that makeup and skincare is a feminist tool and she would write a thinkpiece on makeup or red lipstick.

The moment it all started to unravel was when the critical comments came from within the camp, so to speak. Her long term readers who had loyally purchased books, read all the columns, turned up to events, purchased products in blind faith even when in hindsight, we had frequently been sold a pig in a poke.

Instead of listening to feedback from these long term readers, they were instantly put into the same category as the Guardian below the line commenters who expressed distaste of any beauty endeavours. Despite the fact that the comments from her long term readers mostly stemmed from frustration or feeling duped, disliking the secrecy around injectables whilst shilling skincare, or the language used ("weak dilute" or "I'm not there yet"), they were lumped with the "trolls". Why make it hard on yourself and do some critical analysis I guess. Far easier to point fingers and call people "broken" or "mental" or whatever than it is to look at oneself honestly.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
You are so right. It feels like any querying of BB is a criticism of the NHS, which is most certainly not my intention or I'm sure anyone else's. I
She's shining the spotlight on herself and anyone who dares suggest she's taking advantage can easily be dismissed as a cynical troll. "How dare they criticise her charity work for the NHS during a pandemic ..." blah blah blah. It's genius, really

She's shining the spotlight on herself and anyone who dares suggest she's taking advantage can easily be dismissed as a cynical troll. "How dare they criticise her charity work for the NHS during a pandemic ..." blah blah blah. It's genius, really
As a nasty and v old cynic, I have long suspected Sali of increasing her charity profile in the hopes of getting a gong. There, I said it, apologies if anyone takes umbrage🙄

Reactions: 12
NHS staff were appealing for toiletries on social media. Not because they personally couldn’t afford them, but because they couldn’t source enough quickly enough and were desperate. A London hospital tweeted asking for individually wrapped soaps, others asked for shower gel as frontline staff needed to shower before leaving work. And of course hand cream.

None of this is anything to do with luxury treats or “me time”, just the vastly increased need for necessities.

Personally, I’ve no idea if Beauty Banks should be focussing on this or sticking to their original mission, but I no longer trust SH to make ethical decisions on anything.

Reactions: 12
I have a close family member working on the front line for the NHS at the moment. I think if Sali delivered some luxury products to her ward they would be absolutely baffled as to what good it was supposed to do. They are all in a constant state of shock, battle scarred, not sleeping or eating, not having any kind of life. My relative has been a shell since this got bad, and I know her colleagues are the same.
They don't want a face serum, or some vitamin c capsules. A pampering session (cringe) is an insult to them.
Sorry, that was more of a rant than I meant it to be but I'm finding this irritating.
Beauty Banks was supposed to be helping those in poverty. Go and fish for your nod from the Queen somewhere else Sali, and stop insulting the people putting their lives on the line every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
They don't want a face serum, or some vitamin c capsules. A pampering session (cringe) is an insult to them.
This. They want to spend time with their families without worrying that they are passing the virus to them. The whole 'pampering me time' thing is ludicrous at the best of times, but right now it's like wishing at an earthquake to make it stop.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I agree with much of what you are all saying about BB but there absolutely are NHS staff living below the poverty line. The salaries of health care assistants who are the lifeblood of the wards and have the greatest amount of direct patient contact in many clinical areas are well below national averages.

I’m an NHS nurse. I’ve not had any free stuff. The odd discount offered on a takeaway but no freebies.

The FF column has always fallen flat but this weeks was just way off the mark.

• Sad
Yes, sorry, @Baroo11, I meant to add that many NHS won’t be able to afford extra toiletries etc due to low pay, and/or won’t be able to get to a shop/supermarket delivery to access what they need.

The impression SH appears to be trying to give - that her operation is reaching a significant proportion of NHS staff - surely has to be ludicrous and misleading?

Hear, hear, @GrunkaLunka.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.