Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's not about you.
how silly. Everything is about her don’t you know? If she can shoehorn herself into a conversation, group, trend, career, quirk, bandwagon, then attempt to take credit for starting said conversation, group, trend, career, quirk, bandwagon - she is your woman.

And of course she reads here, prints it out for ‘the solicitor‘* puts it all into the folder of doom, yes we know Sali :sleep:

(* = friend who knew a solicitor once)

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Have a look at Ruby Hammer’s most recent insta post. Having to keep tabs on what everyone else is posting and the pressure to post, post, post more and more shite. At least she’s honest about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I see Boots decided to partner with The Hygiene Bank https://www.boots.com/live-floating/the-hygiene-bank

(Probably not a new tie-up, I only just noticed it today.)

I would be interested to know the story of how the Hygiene Bank and Beauty Bank developed and never pooled resources & knowledge. (The Hygiene Bank say they started after the founders watched I, Daniel Blake which was released in 2016.) If anyone has the scoop please spill the :coffee:

The cynic in me says Sali liked the idea but wanted the glory so started her own. But I have no idea about timings etc so probably jumping to conclusions...

Reactions: 4
I would be interested to know the story of how the Hygiene Bank and Beauty Bank developed and never pooled resources & knowledge. (The Hygiene Bank say they started after the founders watched I, Daniel Blake which was released in 2016.) If anyone has the scoop please spill the :coffee:
Me too... they are remarkably similar. The Hygiene Bank was a registered charity first - number 1181267 vs BB 1184944.
I wonder why they don't work together for economies of scale? Maybe though it's just because boots and superdrug don't want to support the same charity?
It's wrong to hope the story is more juicy though, isn't it?!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I always wondered why Beauty Banks went with the word Beauty and not Hygiene (must admit I hadn't heard of Hygiene Banks before). Just had a look at Hygiene Banks website, and I know this is not important but omg their website is so much better and clearer than BB. Aims and objectives laid out so clearly breaking down precisely who they are targeting.

Reactions: 5
I regularly donate to the hygiene bank as there are 2 drop off points in my tiny village.

I find Beauty Banks a really odd choice of name. Very outdated, and pisses me off in a kind of "duck the concept of beauty" sort of way. So for that reason, I'm out.

Reactions: 13
Evening all, long-time lurker (same story as most here, i.e. used to think very highly of SH and was disappointed by the Botox deceit - don’t want to even consider how much I spent on products she recommended).

Just wanted to say that a friend of mine works for Hygiene Banks and is very (but gently, kindly) weary of the Beauty Banks celebrity/monopoly. Hygiene Banks is working with the absolute destitute and I know from the parcels I see being made in my friend’s front room that it’s all about utter basics. They wouldn’t really know what to do with ‘spendy’ products or £100 foundations.

Room for all, of course, but Hygiene Banks are probably more Salvation Army-style (religion aside) than Beauty Banks.

I’ll go back to lurking now! Stay safe everyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Me too... they are remarkably similar. The Hygiene Bank was a registered charity first - number 1181267 vs BB 1184944.
I wonder why they don't work together for economies of scale? Maybe though it's just because boots and superdrug don't want to support the same charity?
It's wrong to hope the story is more juicy though, isn't it?!
Now that, skidders, is what I call *deeeeeep* research... 🔬🔎🔮

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The Hygiene Bank ; started before Sali’s Beauty Bank , I did wonder where the inspiration came from 😁, now we know.

Sali, you should be ashamed for not giving credit to the origin of your charity.

Reactions: 9
Evening all, long-time lurker (same story as most here, i.e. used to think very highly of SH and was disappointed by the Botox deceit - don’t want to even consider how much I spent on products she recommended).

Just wanted to say that a friend of mine works for Hygiene Banks and is very (but gently, kindly) weary of the Beauty Banks celebrity/monopoly. Hygiene Banks is working with the absolute destitute and I know from the parcels I see being made in my friend’s front room that it’s all about utter basics. They wouldn’t really know what to do with ‘spendy’ products or £100 foundations.

Room for all, of course, but Hygiene Banks are probably more Salvation Army-style (religion aside) than Beauty Banks.

I’ll go back to lurking now! Stay safe everyone.
That is very interesting - thank you. Hygiene Banks do seem to be doing what I *thought* Beauty Banks did. BB do seem to be mopping up a lot of big brands which must impact quite a lot on those without a 'name' fronting them.
Why didn't Sali just endorse Hygiene Banks?

Reactions: 9
That is very interesting - thank you. Hygiene Banks do seem to be doing what I *thought* Beauty Banks did. BB do seem to be mopping up a lot of big brands which must impact quite a lot on those without a 'name' fronting them.
Why didn't Sali just endorse Hygiene Banks?
Wouldn’t get Sali the headlines and TV spots she craves.

Reactions: 8
Wow, was that ever a ‘borrowed’ business model. HB also registered in Scotland so better reach.

Reactions: 1
There is an advert for a UK Mariachi band in this thread - Mariachi Loco UK. Seems an odd advert for now.

This article is a breath of fresh air and an excellent counterweight to influencer culture right now. Although I’m a little surprised this is in Vogue, don’t they have advertisers to worry about?

+++

For that matter, do I really need to tend to my roots right now? Trim my bangs? Paint my nails? Put on makeup to feel more “professional” and “productive” while I livestream updates on death toll projections and safety precautions? As the stories about self-administering a salon-grade facial or maintaining a Brazilian wax continue to pile up, I wonder if we’re missing the point. Maybe this is a time to just be with our bare faces and big pores and chipped polish, to examine why we feel this frantic need to keep up appearances at home, alone, anyway.

The irony is, the most profound improvements in my skin happened over a two-week period in 2018, when I quit skin-care—save for splashing with water morning and night—in an attempt to “cure” my chronic dermatitis. I had tried everything, but I hadn’t tried nothing, and it turned out “nothing” worked. My skin, amazingly, was its clearest, brightest, and healthiest with no products at all.

https://www.vogue.com/article/skipping-my-skin-care-routine-while-in-isolation

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Essentially, Beauty Banks have taken their initiative, renamed it and taken credit for helping those in terrible poverty and now the Covid crisis.

The absolute bleeping nerve of Sali and her mate 😡
Isn't that almost the exact same as Beauty Banks mission statement? :unsure:

irony is, the most profound improvements in my skin happened over a two-week period in 2018, when I quit skin-care—save for splashing with water morning and night—in an attempt to “cure” my chronic dermatitis. I had tried everything, but I hadn’t tried nothing, and it turned out “nothing” worked. My skin, amazingly, was its clearest, brightest, and healthiest with no products at all.

https://www.vogue.com/article/skipping-my-skin-care-routine-while-in-isolation
I've bored here before about when I 'stepped up' my routine and then got awful cystic acne on my jawline. So painful. I didn't even connect the two things so kept buying more and more stuff to deal with it. This lasted months, if not years. Anyway two things helped - I read Dr Hauschka said to put nothing on your face at night. Clean it, then leave it. I thought if a skincare brand isn't trying to flog you night cream there might be something in it. I then had a long period in bed and did the absolute bare minimum skinwise (wash, moisturiser if it was a good day) and my skin hadn't looked so good in years. It just needed a really good long break. I still now have quite a minimal routine (if you could dignify it with that name).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.