Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder how many times a year she has to mention Hersheson’s - digitally & in print? 🤔
I know she gets upset when it is suggested something is underhand - so I really am genuinely not even saying that - but I can't understand why she doesn't see what it looks like to an outside observer? We know Hersheson's are her hairdressers and we know she gets #presstreatments (she states it on IG) so surely she can see these constant mentions are a bit grating?
It would be like Jay Rayner plugging the same expensive restaurant almost every week whilst they give him free food wouldn't it? I don't see the difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
When I saw this week’s column was about hairdressers I thought surely she won’t mention Hersheshons AGAIN? They have two branches in London and then a few blow-dry/braid bars. I know they do some products but they’re not a nationally known company. I live in London (& I’ve even been to Hershesons) but my god, there is a whole country out there! I can’t believe the front in mentioning a two-salon hairdresser SO MUCH

Reactions: 12
I know she gets upset when it is suggested something is underhand - so I really am genuinely not even saying that - but I can't understand why she doesn't see what it looks like to an outside observer? We know Hersheson's are her hairdressers and we know she gets #presstreatments (she states it on IG) so surely she can see these constant mentions are a bit grating?
It would be like Jay Rayner plugging the same expensive restaurant almost every week whilst they give him free food wouldn't it? I don't see the difference.
You are always so generous. I must try to be more @Jelly Bean.

It's been noted here before that she doesn't seem to realise that readers join the dots between what she writes in different places - Guardian/IG/Twitter/other.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Urgh the constant articles about 'the need to support' particular businesses grates. I appreciated the graun how to avoid amazon one, but could do without the guilt trip for the salons. If aveda wanted to support its salons through product sales, it could sell them the wholesale products at a much cheaper rate so they could properly compete with the eternal 20%off on some beauty websites.

I once went to hereshons for a blow dry before a job interview. Staff already running behind schedule for a 9.20 appt and I'm a size 14 and any larger and I wouldn't have fit in their designed-for-insta blowdry chairs. Noticed Sali and India were writers for the Hereshons own magazine, Sali must be making a mint off them.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Urgh the constant articles about 'the need to support' particular businesses grates. I appreciated the graun how to avoid amazon one, but could do without the guilt trip for the salons. If aveda wanted to support its salons through product sales, it could sell them the wholesale products at a much cheaper rate so they could properly compete with the eternal 20%off on some beauty websites.

I once went to hereshons for a blow dry before a job interview. Staff already running behind schedule for a 9.20 appt and I'm a size 14 and any larger and I wouldn't have fit in their designed-for-insta blowdry chairs. Noticed Sali and India were writers for the Hereshons own magazine, Sali must be making a mint off them.
This. I do feel sorry for any business that has been impacted but it's guilt tripping

And I fully agree the next thread should be in the influencers section seeing as that's now what she is

Reactions: 7
Ugh I'm so pissed off. I read the Guardian and buy it every weekend but I'm almost done. I feel like I want to write in to them, I've actually been thinking about it for a long time but always decided against it. It isn't because I am attempting to campaign against her or want her to lose her job, but why should I put money toward something that I feel is unethical? Like I said I don't want her to lose her job. I just want her to do it better and I think it's got to the point where the Guardian need to have a closer eye on what she's including and the conflict of interest that appear in most of her columns. And this is all coming from someone who used to read her column religiously and go and buy a lot of the products she recommended.

I feel I have not articulated this well, or whether mentioning my concerns to the paper is a step too far. Maybe I should just keep quiet but stop buying, which is a shame as I am very interested in a lot of their environmental and political content.

Reactions: 15
Ugh I'm so pissed off. I read the Guardian and buy it every weekend but I'm almost done. I feel like I want to write in to them, I've actually been thinking about it for a long time but always decided against it. It isn't because I am attempting to campaign against her or want her to lose her job, but why should I put money toward something that I feel is unethical? Like I said I don't want her to lose her job. I just want her to do it better and I think it's got to the point where the Guardian need to have a closer eye on what she's including and the conflict of interest that appear in most of her columns. And this is all coming from someone who used to read her column religiously and go and buy a lot of the products she recommended.

I feel I have not articulated this well, or whether mentioning my concerns to the paper is a step too far. Maybe I should just keep quiet but stop buying, which is a shame as I am very interested in a lot of their environmental and political content.
This makes complete sense. I would continue buying the paper and reading the bits you like, giving Sali a miss for the moment (you can always see broadly what she's writing about on here). And yes, I would write in. Apart from the fact that it's a completely reasonable thing to do, you've been thinking about it for a while and it might feel good to write down all your points. You could even share it on here if you fancy it!

P.s. When we get over 50 pages I get end of thread fear and feel slightly on edge waiting for someone to create a new thread. Does anyone else feel like this?

Reactions: 5
This makes complete sense. I would continue buying the paper and reading the bits you like, giving Sali a miss for the moment (you can always see broadly what she's writing about on here). And yes, I would write in. Apart from the fact that it's a completely reasonable thing to do, you've been thinking about it for a while and it might feel good to write down all your points. You could even share it on here if you fancy it!

P.s. When we get over 50 pages I get end of thread fear and feel slightly on edge waiting for someone to create a new thread. Does anyone else feel like this?
Good idea. I want it to be fair so I will say how much I used to enjoy her columns etc as it isn't meant as a personal attack against her. I'm just so sick of lack of disclosure and dodgy influencer-brand relationships and I feel like a major newspaper should be better than that.

Yes I have never started a new thread before :ROFLMAO: has a new title been suggested?

Reactions: 3
Not sure if there were any earlier on?
I think this suggestion got the most 'likes'.

If I understand correctly (I may not) we can start a thread under any of the forum categories - so we could start the new thread under 'Influencers'.

Reactions: 1
If Sali really wants to support Hershehons or however you spell it, maybe when this tit is over she should put her hand into her pocket and stop accepting #presstreatments
How bleeping dare she preach at us in an attempt to guilt trip. duck her

• Heart
Reactions: 17
That column is disappearing further up its own arse every week. Whither a Style and Beauty editor?

Most indie salons will not be set up to safely supply products by mail order right now. So what she really means is: buy your supplies from Hershesons 🙄

9C2F3F7B-409C-45BC-9B26-672281B1C3A7.jpeg

The typo in the title is not SH’s responsibility.

• Heart

I feel exactly the same as you. Always buy the Guardian. I've been 'influenced' to buy products she's recommended in the past too! Her tone is very dismissive on SM and I've seen her in a new light of late.

Apparently I have “insufficient privileges” to start a new thread so will have to leave it to someone else. *flounces*

• Haha
Right I've messed up posting the link here FFS - hopefully mods can sort it out. New thread however can be found under 'influencers'.
Sorry!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.