Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Influencers are non-essential also when there's no pandemic

When we come out the other side of this, it will be abundantly clear what's important. And it won't be a red lip
So true. It has emerged clearly from this whole sorry mess how utterly unimportant influencers are. Their's is a parasitical career. It is crazy to think back a few years ago that someone like Zoella sitting on their bed saying 'I like Rimmel lipgloss' as a hobby has spawned a whole 'industry' of women (mainly), not just teen girls, making a lucrative career from just that.

I was watching QVC the other day and it was like watching the History channel, or a curiosity from a bygone era. Presenters increasingly desperate to tell us a £50 leg gel is a good investment. Or £70 for a hair product is a saving. The whole culture of expensive unnecessary things must surely be over, or at least hanging on by its fingertips.

Reactions: 22
Co-signing @Jade Mitzi and @RayRayJay Especially the L'occitane shea cream, but some people suggested a dupe for it (if I remember correctly) The Body Shop's hemp hand cream which is a lot less expensive.

La Roche-Posay's whole Cicaplast range is great, I use the Lipikar balm for my entire body as it's dry and itchy, and it's great for hands. And your face if you're not oily and it's the middle of winter. So that could be a good investment as it's multipurpose.

For daily in between washes, Cien's (Lidl's) hand cream with the red cap is quite good, as it dries fast, it's not creamy, but adds like a protective layer.
A lot of people swear by Neutrogena's Norwegian formula and the Garnier cream in red packaging.

Maybe a nipple cream? Some use that when the skin is cracked. I use up old lip balms as hand cream as well :ROFLMAO:

However, I think the key is really to put on cotton gloves (or socks) before bed and to really pile on your cream, even Nivea in the blue tin will do.

Could this pass as a column? :LOL: Imagine I added a childhood memory and some obscure reference and it could pass.
pass as a column? Seriously, we could only wish The Guardian would hire someone to write a column as informative as that

So true. It has emerged clearly from this whole sorry mess how utterly unimportant influencers are. Their's is a parasitical career. It is crazy to think back a few years ago that someone like Zoella sitting on their bed saying 'I like Rimmel lipgloss' as a hobby has spawned a whole 'industry' of women (mainly), not just teen girls, making a lucrative career from just that.

I was watching QVC the other day and it was like watching the History channel, or a curiosity from a bygone era. Presenters increasingly desperate to tell us a £50 leg gel is a good investment. Or £70 for a hair product is a saving. The whole culture of expensive unnecessary things must surely be over, or at least hanging on by its fingertips.
I truly hope the silver lining from this is that this ugly, insidious 'career' choice is binned.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I wish she would calm down on twitter too. She isn't helping at all. I think she is making people anxious by getting them to doubt and query what is and isn't an essential job.
I might be doing her a disservice but that is how I read her constant - 'but it is all so unclear' comments.

Reactions: 10
Sorry about flogging a dead horse, but I still don't understand what was going on in the twitter thread on page 4? Can someone give me a tl;dr (even though I actually did read everything... just didn't seem to make much sense)

Sorry about flogging a dead horse, but I still don't understand what was going on in the twitter thread on page 4? Can someone give me a tl;dr (even though I actually did read everything... just didn't seem to make much sense)
It really doesn't make much sense. Basically, it was an orchestrated Twitter interaction with SH and her assistant that some other pals jumped on.

Reactions: 2
The whole culture of expensive unnecessary things must surely be over, or at least hanging on by its fingertips.
I really hope so.

Thank you all for making me laugh about SH either ranting about anyone stepping foot outside and then questioning what 'absolutely necessary' means. It's amazing how stuck up her own arse she is. Nothing she does requires her to be outside. Assuming that her family doesn't need any prescriptions, none of them are key workers and they have enough food for today, everything else is her own ego deciding unilaterally that 'absolutely necessary' applies to anything she does...

Reactions: 6
I really hope so.

Thank you all for making me laugh about SH either ranting about anyone stepping foot outside and then questioning what 'absolutely necessary' means. It's amazing how stuck up her own arse she is. Nothing she does requires her to be outside. Assuming that her family doesn't need any prescriptions, none of them are key workers and they have enough food for today, everything else is her own ego deciding unilaterally that 'absolutely necessary' applies to anything she does...
She seems to be utterly indignant of behalf of other people - 'It is all so woolly'. But leave that to the people involved to worry about where it is a bit ambivalent. Deep research reveals neither her or her husband's job are absolutely necessary, and luckily for them can be done from home. So fretting publicly on behalf of other people is not needed. She should trust them to make the correct decision, like adults.

{{{Biting my tongue hard not to mention again going out to the pub when told not to. And then advertising the fact}}}.

The recent post when she’s missing her previous life. Diddums

most people are and I’m sure the shop workers and nhs staff are missing their life 2 weeks ago even more. Not to think about those who have lost family members and friends.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
The recent post when she’s missing her previous life. Diddums

most people are and I’m sure the shop workers and nhs staff are missing their life 2 weeks ago even more. Not to think about those who have lost family members and friends.
The good news is there's an article coming about how to look after your skin during the pandemic. So yay

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
I've done Jack all to my skin for a week and it's looks great.

Article complete.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Shhhh! This is the great secret. We get hooked in as teenagers, when the triple whammy of spotty skin, 'being a woman' and lifestyle aspiration hit us. As teenagers we have to become meticulous in our grooming to gain acceptability, but we never stop. We never look up and consider if we really need to do this. The beauty industry keeps us under its heel, and even as a teenager raises the bogeyman of aging to keep us there.

And then we have coronavirus. What I'd give to know that I won't die, stupidly overpriced 'anti aging creams' on a shelf, before I reach the age where I can be a wrinkly skinned happy old lady....

Reactions: 7

Article complete.
Same! I've stopped everything, except some Lumene oily stuff in the morning when I remember and a bukuchiol serum at night

Reactions: 3
Sali, why do you need an opinion and to mouth off about ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING? Why are you so angry and shouty and brittle all the time? Always out for battle. Not every issue, event or cause is better off with your voice attached to it. Is it because you want to show everyone what a fiery, powerful woman is? That you’re so edgy you can’t settle into the status quo? It might be an idea to set yourself a challenge and delete Twitter for the duration of the central Brighton lockdown and see if you feel better, calmer.

Lil bit of advice: a wise woman once said nothing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
It will be interesting to see how influencers (not just Sali I hasten to add) cope with a prolonged period of time away from their tweakments and smidges. Will it all be a bit 'Death becomes Her'?

• Haha
  • Heart
Chiming in also to say my skin has looked great with bare bones routine. Not fussing with makeup. Just cleanser and moisturizer. Sorry Sali.

I didn't even acid tone!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.